Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hope the new generation of consoles deliver 60 FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This was already clear for anyone paying attention:
- This generation of consoles are a disgracefull disaster, not being able to provide consistent 1080p 60fps.
- XBox One X is the most powerful console and towers over the PS4 Pro.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I guest the reason for this is some marketing study showing .that people are more willing to buy Something 1 than Something 6, but is still stupid and defy common sense because is a bad idea that will cost the company a lot of sales because will make hard for people to find and buy the product. drat idiots.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Prediction

Microsoft is going to announce 4 new consoles and Sony is going to announce 3 new consoles.

Microsoft cheaper console will be 30 $ and most expensive 700 $. Sony consoles will be 200$, 400$ and 550$.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The 30$ XBox will be called XBox MicroPen-S and will come with 3 month free of xCloud.

The 700$ XBox will be called XBox e-Streamer Profesional PRESTIGE Founder Edition

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Dec 17, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I abandoned it because is the type of game that uses super tiny text that is hard to read and probably important. It needs way more UI scaling options. And the world geography was bland.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The minecraft themed xbox series x will be cool

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What if the real XBox Series is inside the Box? maybe is something like this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelGalanin/status/1207125527867379712

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Was the MSX a early MicroSoft Xbox?

The SPectrum a Sony Playstation?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I just realized that we don't really have to touch a "full digital" console

We can put our "full digital/ no moving parts" console inside a pool with mineral oil

Kind of like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZRPXWy_nM

Maybe the Xbox is a box filled with a unknowns liquid that achieve 100% thermal efficiency (no).

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

google have tech support, I saw it for stadia

could be arsed to search it if somebody need it, but I am too lazy just now

Edit:
is not a JPG with "GOOD LUCK", is more corporate prose saying "we understand this is very important for you, and so is very important for us. We are working hard yadda yadda yadda"

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ErrEff posted:

Google's customer support is Google. As in: You log on to https://www.google.com and type in your problem, then figure it out for yourself.

https://support.google.com/stadia/answer/9598538?hl=en

They have a online-chat and stuff, top-right corner.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

American McGay posted:

Targeting specs at actual 4K is great because that means that even the stupidest laziest devs should be able to deliver 108060.

No, more than 25% and less than 75% of all games in the next generation will run at 30 FPS. You can quote me later.

The thing with 30FPS is that 1/30 of a second is a big timepiece, so if theres something misbehaving, is less noticeable.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is Greedfall ok on X? I just finished fallen order and realised I'm not interested in anything besides cyberpunk and maaaybe watch dogs this year.

I thought 2019 was bad for games but 2020 looks worse.

Greedfall is a honest good RPG on the style of the old mass-effects. But the budget was too sort and its too visible in some areas. Also is strangelly a very vey long game if you don't go for the main quest. Many side quest are well done.

If you liked the old Mass Effect games, Dragon Age, KOTOR, heres more of that and is good, with the caveats above.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Maybe insert a nume?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The Witcher 3 runs on the switch

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Stux posted:

death stranding runs on ps4 and its almost certainly more interesting, well made and better looking than 2077,

DS is mostly a "Planet Mars renders screensaver" it only have to render a static map and thats easy-mode for a game engine

77 will have to dynamically create and render trafic and peasants - many sound sources and their occlusion. This is much more busy on the CPU and more dynamic changes on textures and models

is the difference between rendering a spaceship vs rendering a animated character

Edit
DS is a very interesting game, but the interest come from the game design imo

Tei fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 23, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hot take

The dungeon parts of 2077 will look and play almost exactly like the last Deus Ex you played

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Stux posted:

yeah can you imagine a game on ps4 or xbox one doing that? it would certainly be impossible on 360 as well.

plenty of games have busy cities with traffic and peasants

the people that have seen 2077 describe the game like that but to another level where the traffic and peasants are life-like and interesting instead of generic npc's with very short routines (like in GTA)

my point was the rendering static terrain is easier for the GPU than a city with npc's

GPU's have api with array commands and caches if the terrain don't change can be uploaded by one of these array command and leave there making full use of the GPU---- if something need to be uploaded anyway is probably predictable

where in a environment where new npc's are created maybe you have to upload new textures and models all the time it can be harder on the whole system

my theory anyway

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 23, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Fooling people into thinking AI is very good by any means necessary (including lying) will always be better than making AI actually good, and as soon as everyone accepts this, and work at it just as hard at it as trying to make every guard into Big Blue, games are gonna be real cool and fun.

Is trivial to make good AI that hit 100% of the shots. Part of what make a game good is making the AI bad.
I think AI in games is less about making the machine good at playing the game and more about giving a fun lifelike challenge. It would also be trivial to code a fighting game that will always parry your attack .. not very fun to play a fight game where is imposible to hit your foe.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I got accepted into the Microsoft Flight Simulator alpha whenever that starts.

I am excited for you. Do you have a Xbox One X?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Childrens of Morta is susprising fun for what it is. This one and the goose game paid for the game pass this month :D

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

What we know is that the “icon” next to it is not trademarkedable (is just a line) so is not a standard port. The size and the shape is flat and wide so maybe a custom bus for disc expansione of some type.

Or just a debut thing for no-final versions of the console like people throught at first

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Arena games are dead.

Overwatch was a exception made possible for Blizzard level of polish and legion of followers. Blizzard itself don't exist anymore, only Zuuul.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Two points hospital, yay! :D

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Platform wars are stupid. XBox have some pros and cons and PS4 . have some pros and cons.

Has about the news... I like the idea of consoles supporting dynamic refresh rates. It may be interesting for running some games at 40 FPS if they can't deliver 60 FPS.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Stux posted:

dunno if they can do dynamic refresh, do any TVs support that or rates that arent multiples of 24/25/30?

I have counted 2 technologies in the Xbox SX that support that, so I guess yes?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Nuts and Gum posted:

It seems the source of lag was moving right and left again. It seems better and much worse than the PS4 interface still, and I can't really figure out why.

I have the impression the UI is made of different apps the console have to launch, instead of a single app or something that is always loaded. And the apps themselves made with web technology, or something equally expensive. Then the design has not clear direction, or the direction is wrong. Then they don't do a usability pass to figure out what don't work or is hard to use to fix these parts. Maybe they don't care or the budget is not enough for these usability pass.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 27, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I personally recommend you the roguelikes in the gamepass. Really good stuff there even if you are not a fan of roguelikes.

Childrens of Morta, Dead Cells, ... to name 2 from the top of my head, but theres many.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I did not liked Hellblade. It does things I dont like in games, like spawning enemies from thin air. Or puzzles that lack usability.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

You could also just get an HDMI switch.

I have one, and when I start the PS4, it automatically switch to it. But when I start the Xbox first, it stay unchanged and I have to manually change the switch.
Is a good solution.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

probably games waste space, ... having all idioms available, and videos, using baking tecniques and so son. Things can get better, or more stupid, but games will continue growing in size.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hope they allow Xbox One games to run from the USB drive. Old games don't need the uberspeed of internal propietary ssd drives.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

*looks at thread title*

What the hell happened here?

It looks like Xbox is going to win the new generation. I just hope they do a better job with the UI.

Thanks for the answer about BC of games running on a external drive.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The beaty of consoles is their either can and can't run a game. Making a piece of hardware that is stuck between two generations don't make much sense to me.

But I could imagine a 20$ console that can only run games on the cloud.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

TenTwelveTwelve posted:

I've been enjoying Deliver Us the Moon. Nice presentation and very pretty.

I have tried it, but sometimes get stuck on puzzles and is not always my fault. Also not a fan of walking slowly around.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ports or perhaps is entire network cards sometimes die

is a matter of life.

on pc you replace the card with another one, but I guess if you can't unfuck it, you would have to use wifi

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I like Bloodlines 2, ... some of the others can be good to have in the game pass

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Bloodlines 2 is scaring me cause we are getting all these action trailers and very little about the rpg dialog system type stuff and thats why people like bloodlines, not the combat

this too, but I figure if it end being more a hack and slash-y game, I will still be fun that way.

but I would like one more on the tradition of storylines, characters, stories...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The current gen consoles is kind of cool.

I was bored so I downloaded one of these korean mmos on the xbox. I think it was Bless Unleashed or something.

I think I closed it.

The next day, I start the console, its on in two seconds, ... browse around and finaly decide to check the game. And bam, my character is in the exact same position than yesterday!. Of course after a few seconds walking around the server kicked me (becuase 24 hours of lag is a bit too much and trigger some 'clientside timeout') but it was cool to be in a game I played yesterday in seconds.

And this with the cheap console (not even the One X) and not modified hardware. so mechanical hdd.

next generation is going to be even better, can't wait!.