Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Arkage posted:

I think it'd be significantly higher. In particular the server farms are huge, run 24/7, cost a lot in terms of resources/materials, AND you still need to run your own device to access it. Whereas if all you did was run it on your own device, the only thing you're increasing is a negligible electricity pull.

Yeah but the server farm is shared by many users.

I feel like the energy cost for a server to run a game could be lower than the energy cost for your personal Xbox to do the same thing.

But there is an additional energy cost to communicate the data to and from the server. I feel like the cost to communicate the data to and from the server, which could be far away, might be pretty high.

It isn't obvious to me which one is more energy efficient.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

ethanol posted:

why would you get an xbox if you have a pc

I bought an Xbox One S like three months ago because I didn't have a Blu-Ray player attached to my TV, and because I wanted to play old Rare games and other old re-releases for the Xbox consoles which aren't on PC (Metal Gear Solid 3, Castlevania: SOTN).

If the Xbox Series S had a Blu-Ray player, I'd be kind of regretting my purchase, but it doesn't so I don't really feel that bad about buying an older console. I don't think I really would use the capabilities of the Xbox Series X, and it may be a while before I actually get to playing an Xbox One generation game on my Xbox One anyway.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

SUNKOS posted:

I wonder how that version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night runs? Supposed to be a worthwhile alternative to the PS1 version? Kinda crazy one console lets you choose between the BC 360 version or the PS1/Saturn versions via dev mode emulation.

To add to the earlier comments on the Saturn version, see the following quote on the SoTN wikipedia page by the one of the main designers of the game:

quote:

I understand why fans who've never played the Saturn version would be interested in those features, but I really, really don't feel good about them. I couldn't put my name on that stuff and present it to Castlevania fans.

—Koji Igarashi, June 2007

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

They should rerelease the WiiU with the exact same library and backwards compatibility and just call it the SwitchU or something. Charge more for it even.

The WiiU/3DS Virtual Console libraries are pretty good. It would seem like a no-brainer to me for Nintendo to bring those to the Switch. I don't know why they haven't done it. It seems like it would be easy money. Maybe there is a lot of truth to TheAnomaly's theory.

lol sociological/economic differences are not 'biotruths'

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I don't know how to help you, but I just wanted to post that Golf With Friends is so much fun.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The 2k Sports football games used to be so good

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Well thanks to that IGN thing and the $25 target gift cards from this thread I got 10 months of Ultimate for $52. pretty, pretty good

If U think about it, buying an Xbox I totally don't need is actually saving me money right? Right?

The more you spend, the more you save

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

as shown by noted delayed and therefore bad games such as metroid prime, zelda: breath of the wild and alan wake

"A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

S is very bad at backwards compatible games XB1 randomly though which is unfortunate. Pretty much if a game doesn’t have fps boost don’t bother

Could you elaborate? Do they not run at all? Are you talking about Xbox 360 games?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Ok so a lot of the Xbox One games on the Series S just run like they would on a One S or One Original.

I’m thinking about eventually getting a Series Xbox (currently have a One S) and am waffling between the SX/SS. Honestly I probably shouldn’t get either since I mostly play old video games.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't know if I have frozen in time or media has frozen in time or both. I feel like I am still talking about movies and games and tv shows that I was 10, 15, 20 years ago

I think it is not unusual to mostly like the same media that you liked in your formative years. Many people's cultural values and media preferences kind of tend to remain frozen in amber to that time. The companies know this, and they design their products/services accordingly.

See: oldies radio stations, movie/video game remakes, nostalgic TV shows set in the past like Happy Days, the Wonder Years, Freaks and Geeks, and so on.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

priznat posted:

Any good game pass recommendations for couch multiplayer (2+) that are kid friendly? They enjoy Rubber Bandits, wondering if anything else is fun.

I second Moving Out!

Overcooked 2 is also a really good game as well. Unrailed! is not on game pass but is really fun too.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I played MGS1 like a year ago for the first time, and enjoyed it a lot.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

MechaSeinfeld posted:

- using a controller with aa batteries is weird

Buy some rechargeable batteries, like the Panasonic Eneloops, and you never have to worry about your wireless controller running out of charge. Just replace the batteries in the controller with fresh ones, charge the drained AA batteries on their charger, and keep playing

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tayter Swift posted:

Thanks all. Got Castle Crashers and Overcooked on the Switch. We also need to finish It Takes Two, but I think we’re pretty far along there.

We spent many an hour bashing our heads against Battletoads on the SNES. Is the new one any more, uh, reasonable?

FWIW our favorites on other systems have been Towerfall, Nidhogg II, Chicken Horse, SNES Mario Kart and Mario Maker, with some Castle Crashers in the mix. Also it is a time honored tradition that my sister absolutely hands me my rear end in Tetris Attack every time she visits.

Oh and we loving loved Obra Dinn. A good mystery along those lines would be pretty neat.

Unrailed! is a really fun co-op game.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Thom12255 posted:

There's a bunch of ported PC games that don't let you use them though which is incredibly annoying.

It would be insane if the new Xbox AoE2 port would not allow you to use keyboard and mouse.

John F Bennett posted:

Too bad. I haven't played the second one since the time it originally came out, but I'm really enjoying the last installment. The AI seems to have been much improved, and it also looks very good.

The AI in this AoE2 remaster has improved a lot since the original AoE2. It's able to put up a good fight without cheating/getting a resource gathering bonus.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
It’s a good game. The serious tone at the ending is a little out of place for a comedy adventure game, but otherwise I really enjoyed the game a lot.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, it’s a fun game. It was popular back in the day for good reason.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I have LG OLED C2 and like the TV, but it has an annoying bug with the Series X.

If I don’t turn on the Xbox first, wait a while, and THEN turn on the TV, often the Xbox will start up in a low resolution mode (640x480) and will turn off all of the graphical features like HDR, high frame rates, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Escobarbarian posted:

Are you sure that’s because of the TV? Mine does it but I figured it was just because the Xbox is, you know, made by Microsoft.

Not totally sure.

Does anybody else in this thread have a nice non-LG 4k TV with all of the graphical features like HDR, high frame rate, etc. and experience the below bug?

silence_kit posted:

I have LG OLED C2 and like the TV, but it has an annoying bug with the Series X.

If I don’t turn on the Xbox first, wait a while, and THEN turn on the TV, often the Xbox will start up in a low resolution mode (640x480) and will turn off all of the graphical features like HDR, high frame rates, etc.