Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Is it true that it ruins 4K blu ray support

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ok, so I turned this on and had three banners. Getting Started, Pins, and Add More. I hit Y on Getting Started and deleted it, putting Pins at the top. Cool.

Then I decided to add a banner for XBox Live freebies. This slotted above pins. No problem, I will hit Y and put Pins back on top.

Hitting Y now does nothing. I can't move the banner up or down, and I can't delete it either. Not that I'd want to, but the Getting Started thingy doesn't appear in my Add More banner either.

I also went into a few different friends, and the "Add to Home" from the video tutorial is not present.

What's the deal here?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Crimson Skies was awesome but not really for the single player campaign.

It's a shame they didn't implement multiplayer in these releases.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

When I had my Kinect plugged in it would always pause and rewind movies based on voices it picked up from the movies themselves

Piece of poo poo

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

So now my S is matching my base model in not letting me hit Y to rearrange my rows of icons below the main screen. It has also added my two recent game purchases to the list, pushing pins even further down. What is with this

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

univbee posted:

Not to mention the loving gall to shut down already-released products like Project Spark, that fitness app, and a whole bunch of the UI features.

And they keep delaying their titles, they won't give us release dates for Crackdown 3 or Sea of Thieves.

At least they threw us a bone and released half of ReCore and MCC to hold us over

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

What are some good older Xbox One exclusives? I finally bought one, mostly for Madden and FIFA but I'd like to play some other quality games too. I have a gaming PC so things on PC I've probably already played or decided not to.

The elephant in the room

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

univbee posted:

Does Xbox not let you remote into a friend's Xbox and play as player 2 "locally" like the PS4 does?

Nope lol

I think at some point mixer let you stream share. Not sure exactly how that worked, but that’s dead too so whatever.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ryoga posted:

I have never gotten this feature to work properly. A lot of the time I get a streaming is disabled in this scene (the whole game) or this title is not available in this region messages. In the few times I got it to connect it was extremely laggy and lost the connection within a few minutes and this is from another playstation hooked up to the same network via ethernet.

The playstation network in general has just been a huge pile of problems over the years and most my local friends have had the same experience. The most fun one was a few years back I finally discovered that the playstation network was not constantly undergoing maintenance but rather it was just a generic error message it gives when timing out when connecting to the store, i eventually figured out it would let me connect properly if I did a connection test first before trying to access it.

I think there you can count on one hand the number of games with entirely disabled streaming.

I think “title not available in this region” happens when you have HDR turned on and the other person’s TV doesn’t support it, or something like that.

I’ve used it a lot and never had it fail.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

That black bar in the corner is 100% going to be updated to add “Series S” before the game releases lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

They hosed up Horde mode in Gears with that poo poo too

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

At $299 i might actually buy one of these just for BC poo poo, but with no disc drive that’d be kind of pointless for me

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The cheaper worse version of consoles always sells the best, they don't need a strategy other than "cheap"

I dont think the 20gb launch PS3 or the core 360 outsold the more expensive versions, and there are no other examples of this at launch. There were a lot of NPD leaks in those days with average transaction prices that were barely under the “main” console MSRP

Mid gen upgrades are a different scenario. I think in that case the one X actually still sold more than the S, while the pro did worse than the 4

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 8, 2020

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Zerot posted:

Modern Warfare also lets you delete the parts of the game you aren't playing, I believe.

Yea but it only saves you like 10GB

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I feel like a $299 weaker console at launch is targeted at people who love BC, who are hosed with no disc drive and small storage, and people with Game Pass, who are hosed with small storage. Given that those sort of people don’t traditionally participate in console launches at all, and I’m wondering what kind of impact this thing actually has.

Between the above and most major games being cross-gen on this platform for the next year or two, why not just stick with your One if you aren’t interested in 4K/120/max settings?

I’m not sure if this console is doing enough to expand the launch buyer beyond the “shiny new thing with high performance” market.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

Along side these on the shelf will be a nice selection of external HDDs. Swap games on and off external storage in a few minutes.

Then it’s not $299 anymore.

Also it won’t be a few minutes, your transfer speed will be bottlenecked by the speed of the external HDD you bought

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Zerot posted:

Every console has accessories and add-ons. If you don't want to spend money on the Seagate SSD expansion or cold storage external drives you don't have to. You just have to do more memory management and redownload games as needed. The same applies for the PlayStation 5 and Series X. And the current generation consoles, too, for that matter.

I am aware of this

All of these things will be *more* of an issue with a device that has 500GB than a device that has > 500GB. And the theoretical buyers of a $299 stripped down console will be more cost sensitive and less willing to invest in add ons than the hardcore people who aren’t buying that console to begin wtih.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Red Warrior posted:

PS4 Pro maxed out at 1440p with checkboard upscaling to 4K, a lot of stuff running at variable resolutions below that a lot of the time. Probably not far off what we can expect the Series S to be pushing resolution wise it looks like, quite possibly with a much better upscaling solution.

There are native 4K PS4 pro games. And checkerboard rendering isn’t “1440p upscaled to 4K”

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

By the same token there will be native 4K XSS games.

Yea probably. Then again, PS4 Pro was enhancing an old gen, while this product is going to be trying to keep up with a new gen. So it’s probably less likely to be putting up good numbers as games start pushing the limits of series X.

I don’t know that I want to be still doing that in 2027 though. Buying a PS4 Pro made a lot more sense in 2016 than 2020.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

JSRF

Is needed for it to be good

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Seedge posted:

Then the page you linked with 74 games isn't accurate. It doesn't list games like Death Stranding and Street Fighter V because they're also on PC.

It also doesn’t include stuff that isn’t a paid exclusive, but comes out way earlier on PS4 due to PS4’s larger market share and international presence. A lot of them are niche but there are some heavy hitters like Persona 5 and Nier: Automata. Even remasters of old FF games took a while to come to XBox, and I think stuff like Dragon Quest Heroes never made it over.

I guess waiting paid off for DQ11 but most of the time whatever XBox gets is just the same thing, but late.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 10, 2020

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Series S runs BC games in oneS mode, no oneX enhancements

https://www.gamespew.com/2020/09/xbox-series-s-wont-apply-xbox-one-x-enhancements-microsoft-confirms/

Lmao

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

They aren’t going to make discrete patches for seriesS the way they did for oneX so the only games that will benefit on the seriesS are ones with variable frame rates or resolutions, which will not dip anymore but also will not exceed whatever their maximum was on the oneS. And they won’t get the oneX texture packs either.

I hate the nomenclature for these consoles

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

You can want it to run better than a oneS without wanting it to run in 4K. Some oneS games run at 720p lol

And 360 games can run at 540p

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 11, 2020

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

ethanol posted:

yeah that really sounds better

I was criticizing it dude. I’m agreeing with you.

The other guy is saying that the seriesS is not a 4K console so we shouldn’t expect better BC. But there’s no reason not to expect 1080p or 1440p BC from a product like this.

If a One game is programmed to run dynamically from 720p to 900p it’s gonna cap out at 900p on a seriesS, not 1080p. If it’s programmed to just be 720p all the time, it’s going to stay 720p on the seriesS. OneX also got high res texture packs that will be absent on seriesS.

Defenders are trying to say that critics want 4K on the seriesS, but that’s a silly straw man.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

The Series S running back compat software using the Xbox One S profile is a pretty bulletproof reason not to expect >1080p BC from it.

Yes, that was the point of the parts of my post that you edited out.

The part you quoted is saying that the consumer should have every right to expect that a next-gen console at $299 can run the last gen at least as well as the 3 year old prior gen console, but that this doesn’t, so this is bad.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Akuma posted:

How is saying "this new console can play games from 4 generations" the same as "buy the old console that can play 3 generations"?

I don't understand your point.

Because she said that offering new unique experiences are not a priority for the platform they’re asking you to buy into

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

PS5DE makes the Series S look like a joke

A joke that will unfortunately bottleneck all third party games for the next 7 years

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The Grey posted:

Series S is just like Series X, but without 4k and without a disk drive. How is that a joke?

I am considering getting it since I don't have a 4k TV.

Because that will almost certainly not be the only downgrade performed to get games to run on it, especially in two years when the cross gen stuff dries up.

And paying $100 more for a fully functional future-proof 4K device that will also have more games is enough to make it a joke even if they somehow keep their “just the resolution” promise

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

The Grey posted:

Series X is $200 more then Series S.

Yes and the PS5DE, the console I said made the seriesS a joke, is $100 more

For an additional clue, the PS5DE has more games, the seriesX has exactly the same games as the SeriesS

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

My recollection is that for a long time 360 was outselling PS3 but then at the end of the generation, PS3 caught up and eventually surpassed. Is that right?

PS3 outsold it from day one launch aligned. The one year lead shrunk every single month after PS3 launched. But yea it took a while to make up the gap.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Euphoriaphone posted:

For anyone with a good memory, when Sony announced new PS3 models would no longer include the PS2 hardware or BC, was it still easy to find a BC-capable PS3 for a while?

The launch PS3 is the only argument in favor of getting a console at launch, since the BC feature was eventually cut out. Still, if you had ample notice it was getting removed and could easily pick one up before they sold out, then even that isn't an argument in favor of buying at launch.

It was easy to get them, that’s when I jumped in. They were on clearance at steep discounts.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ori 2 on switch inside of six months lol

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

American McGay posted:

Oh drat all those people who bought an Xbox One to play Ori 2 are really burned by that. drat feel bad for those guys right now.

My xbox is basically an ori machine

If MS wants to convince me to invest in their next platform then stuff like this is one less reason to. I would have rather have not bought ori 2 on xbox one and just had it on switch but they insisted this one was actually exclusive. Ori 3 will certainly not be a motivator for me to buy a Series.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Ruffian Price posted:

Did they? The trailer just had "world premiere" before it

https://nintendoeverything.com/xbox-on-how-ori-and-the-blind-forest-for-switch-came-to-be/

quote:

Greenberg’s full words:

“Ori is built by Moon Studios, which is an independent, external studio. They came to us with a desire to bring the original Ori to the Switch. We thought that made sense, and we’re happy to work with them to enable them to bring that to Switch.”

“We understand their desire to bring that game to Switch, and in this particular case we were happy to support them. And we think that makes sense for the original Ori.”

Greenberg also reiterated that Microsoft “will be focused on making games for our platforms and we have no plans to expand our exclusive first-party games to any other consoles.” This includes Ori and the Will of the Wisps, which will launch “exclusively on Xbox One and on the PC.”

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

When the 360 launch, MS said they would keep first party games at $50, and then gave up on that within a year. Kameo and PD0 were $50. Gears was the first $60 game from MS. Can’t remember if they released any in between.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Palm Prē was good as hell. Probably the best phone of its time for switching between a browser window and a texting app, which was basically the entire day-to-day use case for a smartphone bacl then. People forget how turbo-garbage Android was in 2009.

Also the current iPhone uses basically all of the multitasking UI and gestures that people made fun of Palm for introducing

And everybody has all the contact consolidation stuff by default

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Crafty posted:

Microsoft have saved gaming.

If they can buy From Software next and get the DeS Remake I am 100% in on launch day.

Demon’s Souls is owned by Sony and always was. That’s why there’s a Dark Souls instead of a Demon’s Souls 2

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Does Nintendo just replace the sticks when you send your joycons in for repair, or do they send you new ones? The battery life on mine are so bad that repairing the sticks isnt even worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Is this a good choice for cold storage / backcompat games for next gen

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VNTFHD5/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_Hf2HFbM9M1VR1