Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This should be a fun challenge. I have to try and track one of these down for my daughter....because of Roblox and she wants me to also play it with her more since it use controllers, and I'm not very good with mobile controllers (well compared to auto aim city like COD Mobile)...which is actually very sweet and wholesome. :3:

Luckily I'll just use it as the new next gen console myself, and also my son and wife love playing Lego games together.

Feel like a goof for paying an extra ten bucks for COD cross gen on the PS4 and getting Watchdogs Legion recently, but eh such is life. I'm still keeping the PS4 ,
and will eventually once supplies stabilize, trade in the PS4 for a PS5.

Anyway two quick questions.
1. Based on goons experiences which retailer should I best put my faith in trying to :f5:?
2. Does the series X support SSD drive installation. I got 2tb one in my PS4 Pro, but I saved the originally PS4 Pro non-ssd hard drive, so I could always swap it back. I mean since I'm going to do a trade in eventually I can live with using the older one. Granted since I have no Xbox Games (really haven't had the system since the original xbox and briefly a 360), storage shouldn't be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Detective No. 27 posted:

Wal Mart's own site currently says my store has them in stock, just no way of purchasing them yet. :shrug:

Wait mine is saying that too, does that mean I could just drive an in theory pick it up? I thought Microsoft was demanding everyone do it as online order and pickup?

Edit: Nvm it now correctly lists it as OOS.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Since I fully expect to not get it till closer to December, any good schadenfreude of people buying Xbox One X's and thinking it is a Series X? I refuse to believe that hasn't happened or won't happen.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Amazon just had a bunch of Series S's pop up if someone wants them, but isn't it hobbled beyond being discless?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Twerk from Home posted:

It's compromised. It's also $200 cheaper? I'd bet that the biggest problem is only having 320GB of storage available, but it's also possible that games will run like rear end in 2 years.

Yeah, I mean I think it's nice they have that option, but honestly, I don't want something that is already Day 1 Obsolete.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only downside was it autoselected a credit card with only like $300 free in credit (it was a super super old card), so now I'm trying to get them to switch the card or put a note in saying do not release back to stock, customer is coming in with current card. Soooooo we'll see what happens. I figure if they can't do it online I'll just run over and make them update in store, just so it doesn't get released back into the general for sale stock.

I knew I should have removed that card. :lol:

Oh well at least it's something one can lol at.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m driving over there to make sure the card issue is cleared up, even if I have to pick it up letter.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Woo fixed my payment info!!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just picked it up! The Walmart guy actually Walked out with me to my car to put it in and they had it covered up with other stuff, he said they were afraid of a literal riot breaking out if people saw it in the store.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For someone who has not had an Xbox since the 360 and honestly never played it besides gears and Halo reach, i’ve been PS since day one, is there any useful explanation of how the Microsoft ecosystem works or is it basically PS with a different coat of paint?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

I find Microsofts ecosystem to be a lot more accessible and user friendly, by quite a lot compared to PlayStation. For games that Microsoft makes, it'll come down to personal preference of course. One of the things Microsoft does extremely well is backwards compatibility, and GamePass giving you very easy access to a lot of really good games for a very cheap monthly fee.

Awesome. I was thinking of using Gamepass to build up a quick library and take some of the sting out of Legion and COD being on the PS4. Only wish the Lego games were on it, but such is life. I have a feeling my son will love that pseudo Disneyland tour game. Nice change of pace for kid who has been stuck in doors for the past few months. Luckily he was able to see Disney World before everything fell apart last year, but not likely to see another one any time soon.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to say I really really love how this was packaged. Everything safe and secure and the stickers easily came off. Felt like it was very Nintendo like for lack of a better term.

Edit:^^ thanks for the Disneyland issues. My son being pretty young should be happy with the walking around parts and even poor or meh quests.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 10, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love that my daughter is playing Roblox on a $500 bleeding edge new console. :lol:

She’s super happy though and via crossplay she can play with all her friends...so I’m really happy. Same with my son playing Disneyland Adventures.

It’s all so :3:

Also Gamepass is so ridiculously good. Like I want the new AssCreed or something just to see it running full power (well what counts as full now). That said Jedi looked really nice.

Only weird thing is my LG tv can do 4K at 60hz, but not 120hz (only 1080p).

I mean this probably doesn’t affect much, but I’m wondering why it can’t do 120hz at 4K, just seems odd.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

4x as many pixels needs a whole bunch more processing power.

I figured it was something like that, but I figure that it’s going to be awhile until it feels like I’m missing out on something for awhile, right?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roman posted:

Impressed with how snappy the UI is, especially the store stuff which was always laggy on previous PS/Xbox. Quick Resume is very cool and I wish PC could do that.

Also glad my HDMI 1.4 monitor can do 120 hz with it, because of all the conflicting answers I was getting to whether it could support it or not.

I’m wondering now if I need to just switch my hdmi ports. I just plugged it into the empty one. Never gave much thought to there being a difference before.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hatty posted:

Some TVs let you do 1440p 120hz if it can’t do 4k120. It’s a good visual compromise

I think that’s option my LG offers, not sure why I thought it was 1080p. So all things considered I guess I wound up lucky.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey my TV does support 4K 120hz, just had to switch the input to the 4K input. Boy I feel silly not noticing that. Guess I’ll make sure my PS4 pro is in the right slot vs the switch. lol

Oh well...a very pleasant surprise.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah this thing makes no noise, as opposed to the PS4 pro, which sounds like a bunch of B-52s taking off.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:lol: I already ran out of space.

Well played Microsoft. Now I know what Games Pass has so many titles to push storage device sales. :golfclap:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

Remember though that you can plug in any old USB hard drive or SSD and use it for all the games that are not specifically Series X/S enhanced (and it works as cold storage for games that are).

Hmm...so that doesn't effect the quality of the gameplay of load speeds? I have an SSD in my PS4 Pro, but I also have the original HD, so I'm fine with just swapping that in.

The SSD is a samsung 860 EVO 2tb. So I just need an enclosure, I assume?

Thanks, that's a hell of a nice surprise for me. I mean non-SSD are super cheap, but once you go SSD you just can't go back (assuming you're using the device regularly).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

I'm sure it does affect load times to some extent but, according to people, load times are still much faster than on Xbox One X even when using a mechanical HDD.

Oh no I meant putting the original PS4 Pro mechanical HD back in pro and taking the SSD and putting it in the Series X.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

It already has an SSD? I think this is why we're all confused

Nope, it was mechanical. I remember how fast Destiny 2 jumped in load times.

Zat posted:

I understood that, I was just saying load times are still good even with a mechanical HDD. With an external SSD I'm sure it's even better.

Ah cool I understand.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is there a separate gamepass thread or is this the de facto one?

Gamepass Thread: Just Buy It

Seriously if it had Lego games for my son and wife it would be perfect, but jesus christ the value on that thing is insane.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Just get an internal one + an enclosure.

The pre built ones are pretty terrible value.

You can get a really good 1TB SSD and and enclosure for $100.

SSD is absolutely the way to go with these new consoles.

Yeah, it is really one of those "This is the Future" from AT&T commercials that Tom Sellack did in the 1990s (actually those were pretty drat on point in terms of prediction), like you feel like you should have a flying car after watching boot up to Windows go from 2.5 minutes to 20 seconds.

For what it's worth I really like my Samsung SSD in terms of build quality and how it's been. Then again I'm not sure if SSDs have gotten to the point where like flash drives, even a store brand one, is fine.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So when is Remote play for the series X expected to be a thing?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EL BROMANCE posted:

I was able to get it displaying on my iPhone yesterday, but even though my old One S controller paired it didn't seem to work in the app. But if you have a controller that plays ball I'm guessing it's up and running.

Oh cool. I was wondering because I found a help on Microsoft’s website saying it wasn’t supported for the Series S|X which I felt was odd, but I figured it was something that just wouldn’t be at launch or perhaps that was only about a PC version.

How do you get it to display on the iPhone? Apologies for the basic question, but I haven’t had an Xbox since 360, which was mostly to play gears of war. Perhaps I’m confusing it with Project Xcloud, which isn’t an option on iOS, because...Apple I guess.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Just get the Xbox app and there is a button to remote play your console. It needs an xbox one controller to actually navigate the menus though. Unfortunately they don’t let you use the touchscreen

E: you hit this button

Then you get this option (after you turn on remote play in your console

Awesome! That’s good to know. Actually picked up a second controller last night, so I’m good on that end.

Another basic question, should I just get the rechargeable batteries for both controllers, or if I have a bulk amount of batteries should that be fine for this foreseeable future? I have no idea if power usage has gotten better or worse since the last generation.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

I'd get rechargeables for sure. Ikea's Ladda gets my recommendation. It's the same product as the much more expensive Eneloop Pro, just with a different sticker. Comes from the same factory at the same specs and they've gotten virtually identical test results.

Obviously you also need a charger to go with those.

Another alternative of course is Microsoft's official Play & Charge set but I feel it's a bit overpriced in comparison and not much more convenient.

Thanks! I appreciate the recommendations.

So the Xbox won't recognize the external SSD (well internal, but it has an enclosure now), plugging it into the system shows it's being powered. The only thing was since this was originally a PS4 and still has that data, I assume it needs to be reformatted. I assumed that the Xbox would prompt me to do that, but it doesn't appear to recognize it. Do I have to reformat it on a PC, if so what settings are needed for the Xbox?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GigaPeon posted:

So I'm thinking about getting back into the console game after sitting this gen out. Is there an accounts page somewhere where I can see what digital 360/XBLA games I own?

I think you just look it up in your microsoft account under purchases, granted I'm not sure how far back it goes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I was able to reformat my Samsung SSD, but if I plug it in it only shows up as being for media, pictures captures, does anyone know what the proper format required for the Xbox Series X is (or Xbox one as apparently you can just plug one in with no changes) and what tool I can use to do it. I'm kind of at a loss here, despite making some progress.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

irpoweroutlet posted:

I had to try different USB ports on my OG Xbone before it would let me format an ssd for games. After that it worked fine in any port. Maybe try reformatting to a different file system (try exfat/fat32 or ntfs if you haven’t already).

Okay, the problem was it keeps detecting it as setup for media, so I'll give the other formats a try, thanks! This is the only way I'll be able to install COD without having a stroke. Although credit to Microsoft for making Game Pass so good, that I filled up a HD in less than 12 hours of owning the system. lol

EDIT: No luck with exFat, same thing, listing it as media storage.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 11, 2020

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arkage posted:

Another question, is there no way to current stream Xbox Series X to PC? I used to do remote play sometimes with the Xbox Console Companion but it's incompatible with the Series X.

Yeah I was asking about that earlier, and apparently, as of the moment it's not an option. I have to think it's high on the list of features for MS to add in.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
New FAQ entry on Remote Play

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/xbox/forum/all/known-issues-on-xbox-series-xs/221c9d7f-dc91-4067-ba81-33ab671179b5?auth=1

Big Dick Phil Spencer posted:

Remote Play on Windows 10
Known Issue: Console streaming to a Windows 10 device from an Xbox Series X|S will not work through the Xbox Console Companion app.
Workaround: This feature is only supported through an Xbox One generation device. You can currently stream from an Xbox Series X|S console to an Android or iOS device via the Xbox app. Keep an eye on News.Xbox.com for any updates on further support for additional platforms like PC.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

Have you tried this yet (from
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/storage/manage-storage )

"If you cancel formatting when you connect a storage device, you can set it up later:
1. Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide, and then select Profile & system > Settings > System > Storage.
2. Select your device then select Format."

I’ll give it a shot, but every time I selected it the options haven’t included format as an option. Actually in line getting some new cables to see if that might help. When even trying to set it as a capture device (not that I want that) it said the device is too slow and isn’t usb 3.0. Figured it’s worth a shot on that end...upside of being 10 minutes from a Microcenter.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zat posted:

Have you tried this yet (from
https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/storage/manage-storage )

"If you cancel formatting when you connect a storage device, you can set it up later:
1. Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide, and then select Profile & system > Settings > System > Storage.
2. Select your device then select Format."

Update. Holy poo poo it worked! Well I think it was the cable being wrong but now I have the format option!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Are the servers slow as hell for anyone else?

Possibly a lot of preloads for COD. I know that's me....and like 45 games.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlamingLiberal posted:

A lot of people will be buying CoD though

Yep I'm the one gang banging your severs to death...well that and the over 1-2tb of downloads I've been doing. :smuggo:

Also I never realized how deep the Xbox BC catalog is. I typed in Call of Duty and was shocked I could just get and play World at War or even MW3 (though the later I'm waiting for the eventual remastered version)...but I was shocked to see a ton of non-first party titles still available. I mean even without new purchases Game Pass is so insanely deep and stacked I could be fine for a long time before really needing any new games.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I booted up blops 2 on PS3 a while back and was surprised to find full lobbies every time i tried it

Now, there may be a situation where they programmed the counter to never go below 1.7m or something like that happening as well

It can also be the new upcoming COD launch too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So wait if you do an install off a disc, don't you need the disc in still? I'm all for archival preservation, but barring something like Judgement, why not use a digital version (doesn't mean you can't keep the original)? Lord knows I'm never playing Falcon 4.0 or Janes games anytime soon by I've never tossing those manuals.

https://twitter.com/Morfid_plays/status/1326933265849196546?s=20
:lol: telecoms could so easily pay this guy to defend and justify data limits in the name of the environment.

gently caress THE WHALES! 1TB EACH DAY EVERYDAY!

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 12, 2020