Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
So long post and a long shot but I'm still frustrated with this...

I am extremely frustrated due to my experience with X1X and Insider. My Xbox is in Insider due to an early build of Halo MCC or maybe Minecraft RTX I tried a few years ago and I haven't thought about it since. I can't imagine I'm the only one who enrolled in Insider for early access to some beta or cool new tech and then forgot about it forever.

A few days ago, I received errors E105 and E102 when booting my X1X. These can be hardware or software problems but are very serious. Listening to the console, the hard drive sounds fine (no clicking or other strange sounds, seems to spin up okay) which is one typical diagnosis. Factory resetting just appears to restart the Xbox back into these errors. Installing OSU1 via USB just gets me E101 presumably because I'm in Insider and we can't offline update. Opening the Insider app on my PC doesn't show me my console but I unenrolled my PC / deleted my account anyways. Microsoft says a repair is $249 because my console is out of warranty. I guess my only other option is to try to put in a new internal hard drive and copy files over, but that won't fix anything if the OS version is truly busted.

My hunch is that my Xbox got updated recently to this Insider OS version (OS version is 19041.4402.amd64fre.vb_release_xbox_dev_2010.201023-1840) from a relatively old OS version, since I only use my Xbox every few weeks or once a month and leave it powered off the rest of the time. The upgrade process of this new Insider OS version was not tested sufficiently and essentially bricked my One X, with my only recourse being to pay $249 to fix Microsoft's problem.

Does anyone have suggestions here? I've owned every Xbox so far except the new XSX so this is really depressing to me as a long time fan :(. I had a red ringed X360 but Microsoft fixed it at their cost which actually increased my loyalty a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

As a long time Xbox Insider and former alpha channel tester, Insider builds shouldn't install automatically, they should present a splashscreen at first boot that asks you whether you want to install the update or skip logging into XBL and use the console offline, UNLESS you are in instant-on mode. If you're in instant-on mode.....then you shouldn't be worried about your system getting updated from a really old OS version, because even if you didn't use it for weeks, it would have still been installing the latest system updates available the entire time. If you were able to go in and unenroll the box from the Insider program from your account settings/the app/the website, the console should automatically get the signal for a fresh install of the latest retail build upon connecting to the internet.

I can't be sure but I suspect that you may actually have a hardware problem. If you cannot factory reset without seeing "Something went wrong", I think you may have a real bonafide hardware problem on your hands. Try connecting an ethernet cable if you haven't got one plugged in and doing the factory reset with it hardwired to the net.

My X1X has been in the Insider program literally since the first day I got it so I'll do some snooping, if I find anything out, I'll let you know

I'm not in Instant On mode, unfortunately. I took my X to a game repair shop that can replace the HDD. We'll see if they can get it fixed :-/.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Update on my dead X1X:
With a local repair shop declaring it unrecoverable after playing with for a week, my Xbox One X seems to have revived itself with the latest OSU1 offline update to rs_xbox_release_2011.201117-2300 (from a weird Xbox Insider release that was completely unbootable - 19041.4402.amd64fre.vb_release_xbox_dev_2010.201023-1840). I loving hate technology sometimes.

Moral of the story - stay out of Xbox Insider. And I'm lucky I had my games on an external HDD. Otherwise you might be out $250 of Microsoft repair tax to fix their broken software. Even used X1X's are up in the ~$250 range right now, close to XSS, what's up with that?

Evil Robot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Dec 2, 2020

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

this. it's like rooting an android. the potential cons far outweigh the pros and I 100% am going to laugh at someone who bricks their poo poo. fool's errand.

don't root your android, and don't install Insider builds (unless you have a really really good reason why, but unlike rooting there is legitimately zero benefit to installing an Insider build)

This is a dumb take. Google doesn't put out an app that says hey sign up for a rooted phone and here's all the cool features and games you'll get to try out. They explicitly warn you a million times that your phone might get screwed if you do this.

Xbox Insider is more like Tesla Autopilot where the company is actively promoting a feature that if used as marketed can easily break your device in non obvious ways (can't flash back to public builds? really?) and you're SOL with support. It's some shady poo poo.

FWIW the repair shop's proposed solution was "buy a PlayStation" as they're much easier to recover.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

barnold posted:

It does when combined with negligence on the user's part when they kept the console offline for several months and refused to install the subsequent system updates while enrolled in a program that expects users to update as soon as a new build is pushed, which they already admitted to.

Lots of exaggerations and misinterpretations about what I said here. I use the console regularly with it sometimes going a few weeks or up to a month without usage. It's not kept offline manually; I just use energy saver and turn it off like a normal appliance. I also didn't refuse to install the system updates, I installed all of them and got bricked. Microsoft can defend itself; it's a big boy :).

On topic, I'm excited to pay Control on console when that drops tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to snipe an XsX? My Xbox One X is dying and Microsoft wants $200 for repairs. Otherwise I'd wait a year or two to see if the console gets cheaper / better but my One X is really dying.