Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

I've heard slightly rumors of a new PlayStation announcement for E3. I want to say that is super unlikely but I said the same thing about the PS4 Pro.

Shawn Layden has already stated they won't announce new hardware this year. And people that are well-connected seem to think 2019 is unlikely as well, but at least more probable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

TheScott2K posted:

Build some kind of PlayStation Now-like streaming into GamePass, make it work on PC, put it on any other platform that will have them. Play your god drat Xbox games on a Roku

This type of scheme has failed multiple times now. Probably the ideal thing to do if you're planning on burying the gaming division.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I really don't know why I bought a Bonx: Multiplats running a at slightly higher resolution is nice, but really not that much of a differentiating factor compared to my PS4 Pro. It's really lacking in the exclusives department, while PS4 is getting great titles left and right. I'm really not looking forward to Crackdown 2, Gears of War x or Forza Horizon 40.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Mung Dynasty posted:

i havent played god of war yet but the idea that theres more than 2 or maybe 3 actually legitimately unmissable and amazing sony exclusives is nuts to me

if we stop pretending that knack 2 is a must-have then it really comes down to feature set and controller preferences which is pretty much entirely subjective to you

Except PS4 does "core features set" much better as well: The Xbox menu is atrocious, with all the worst ideas (separate guide) brought forward from the 360. Creating screenshots, something I like to do, means pressing a button on PS4, going through the guide on Xbonx. Everything seems cumbersome and unintuitive. And the menu on this "true 4k" console is running at 1080p.

I can easily list more than three great PS4 exclusives just off the top of my head:

Infamous Second Son/First Light
The Last Guardian
Uncharted 4
Uncharted Lost Legacy
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War

People are also raving about games like Bloodborne, Everybody's Golf, Shadow of the Colossus or Yakuza 6.

When are we Xboners getting some potent exclusives?

Lambert fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 14, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

Cool, Xbox's UI sucks less.

Not really. Much easier to get to where I want to go on the PS4. It's also not laggy in the least, but that may be due to the fact I have an SSD in mine.

Beastie posted:

Xbox you press two buttons to record or you can just say it out loud.

That's markedly worse for spontaneous screenshots. And Kinect is discontinued.

Mung Dynasty posted:

imo the guide sidebar is really fast and convenient and doing stuff like checking downloads/switching apps/jumping to settings/taking video/starting a stream is at most 2 dpad presses and one face button press away and u can do it all by muscle memory after a point

Very unfortunate the main menu is such a mess.

BattleTech posted:

Got my duke controller in, it feels real good. The center screen(home button) where the og xbox boot screen is played makes an ultra satisfying clicking sound when played. So of course I'm just clicking that button non stop. Also the controller feels real good.

Why would you buy that thing.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

Cortana/ Xbox works with a headset, and the buttons are Home then Y, I don't think that's super loving difficult or different than Sony's tiny little button nudged out next to DS4's gigantic trackpad.

The problem is the fact it's so intrusive. With the PS4, I can just take a couple of screenshots without having to open any kind of menu. That's convenient.

Didn't know about the headset thing, but mine is connected to a PC with an optical in so I can use the same wireless one for my PS4 and Xbox.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

Quick question as I think I might be confused, can you long press / short press the share button for screenshot versus video?

You can set it either way in "Sharing and Broadcasts"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Xbox One UI owns, the only system where the PS XMB design works at all is the PSP

100% wrong, the Xbox UI is really terrible. Everything is badly laid out, simple things are needlessly complex. I just want to take some screenshots.

Sony got it very much right with the PS4.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Luv 2 spend three minutes watching the console cry as it tries to open up anything in the menu on PS4 dashboard

Just lol if you don't have an SSD in your console.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 19, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Beastie posted:

For the fifth time all you have to do is hit guide then Y.

I know this. I want to take screenshots while playing, not pop up a menu and then take a screenshot. That's intrusive and annoying. You don't have to explain away every obvious UI failing the Xbone has.

fishmech posted:

Condolences on your massive concussion that led you to this belief.

Sorry you don't know what you are talking about.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

DreamShipWrecked posted:

You have to do the same thing on playstation though? The share button just brings up the screenshot menu

Lambert posted:

You can set it either way in "Sharing and Broadcasts"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Real hurthling! posted:

Theres actually 3-4 sony apps and they are all terrible

There's parity: Xbox has multiple (Xbox, Xbox Smart Glass, Xbox Accessories) as well that are all terrible. The main app is the worst, just really slow with an interface that doesn't fit any platform but Windows (and even there only just barely)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

DariusLikewise posted:

Crossbar or whatever Sony calls their UI should have been dumped years ago.

I’ve really been enjoying the Spotify app on the Xbox, controlling it with my phone is cool and I don’t feel as pressured to upgrade my home theatre amp to one with Spotify anymore.

It's great, but I hate the fact it won't let me control the volume using my phone - every other Spotify app/receiver allows this. Seems like a strange design choice (or am I missing some kind of setting?)

Lambert fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 20, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Gears of War Remastered was super buggy for me, had to restart sections multiple times because scripts would get stuck and it wouldn't let me progress any further. Also: Dom is worse than useless and gets downed all the time. And no Xbonx patch either.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'd say ok as well? The framerate is the obvious mark on the experience, but even ignoring that, I wouldn't say it's really "beautiful". But certainly technically competent.

Also, Jedi Academy probably runs significantly better on any PC. And Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast was the much better game.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am not very tech literate and having a hard time finding a monitor to use with my Bone X. I want either a 24" or 27" that can do 4k and offers HDR. Prices apparently range from ~$400 to $900 so I must be missing some details here.

Does anyone just have a "this is 4k with HDR" recommendation they can throw at this big idiot

Check out the LG monitors, like the 27UD58, 27UD68, 27UD69 or 27UD88 (in ascending order of expensiveness). All of their ports allow for 4k/60 (1x Display Port and 2x HDMI 2.0, USB-C on the most expensive model). There's also the Dell U2718Q (don't buy it for HDR, it's fake HDR).

If you want HDR, the LG 27UK600, 27UK650 and 27UK850 are worth a look.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 5, 2018

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lambert posted:

Seems like the Xbox E3 show is 45 minutes long: They really have nothing, do they?

https://blog.twitch.tv/e3-2018-watch-or-co-stream-every-moment-live-on-twitch-2fbe8f39966f

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It's the better of the two Xbox threads

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Blind Rasputin posted:

I haven’t owned a gaming PC in like 10 years. Is the 1080 still the best video card? I feel like I’ve heard about it a few years now I would have figured they’d come out with a new one to lust after.

The 1080 Ti, announced in March 2017, is nVidias current top consumer model.

People are expecting an 11x0 series annoucement pretty soon, in the coming two months possibly.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Exclusive lineup: Still pathetic.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Finster Dexter posted:

I'm super excited for Battletoads I think it's going to be great on Xbox One X. Best new exclusive.

I'm excited for a logo as well.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Why would you buy a meme game.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I bought some codes, but I'm on the $1 trial for the moment and won't activate until Forza Horizon 3 is out. There's nothing of interest for me on Game Pass.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Which expansion is the best/most interesting to start with?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What would your peer group think of you then? :ohdear:

I imagine the problem will solve itself, as Sea of Thieves isn't a game that person is going to be playing for more than a few weeks.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Sleeping Dogs is the best GTA game.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
MS-13 is forcing people to buy Gold.,

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Maybe the rumored new Ayylite controller. Now even more overpriced.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Ah, seems to be "bundle & accessory news"

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/1019636388130578432

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Android patent revenue was a big thing for many years, keeping the division afloat.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Phil Spencer said there were discussions about Xbox and why it's part of the company some time back. Microsoft has obviously decided against spinning it off/shutting it down and is going to keep it as part of their core business for the foreseeable future. It's pretty apparent they have now put more resources behind it in the hopes of getting Xbox to be a successful and profitable business some time in the future.

univbee posted:

an official internal Microsoft hard drive which also happened to be stupidly overpriced.

Praise hddhackr and cheap enclosures from ebay.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What are you talking about. Charging $40 for an updated Burnout Paradise resolution.ini was totally justified.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Laserface posted:

Burnout probably also had the online part updated to actually work again. It's a good example of how a remake of a game should be done, not a bad one, imo.

It absolutely isn't. It's as low-effort and barebones as possible. "Getting the online part working" is the minimum expected effort, not what constitutes a good remaster. And it's still the same very clunky and infuriating online matchmaking system the original had, not the more modern system Most Wanted 2012 had.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

Oh ok still kinda sucks.

Nah, I'm not interested in getting any more PS3 games at this point in time. It's a good thing they're ending PS+ for PS3.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Oh what’s that? You want to download a PS3/Vita game you put on your account years ago? Have fun sorting through hundreds and hundreds of items on your Download List that can’t be sorted or filtered at all, jackass

Next, you're going to tell us about the horrors of PSN on the PS2. Also, you do realize it's the same on the 360?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ineffiable posted:

But yeah gently caress going through the download/purchase history. Thankfully external hard drives exist and you should have everything you own installed.

You can just go to the Library view and see everything listed in a more reasonable format.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
You're better off waiting for the 4k patch with the Master Chief Collection. There's also barely any multiplayer population, searching for matches takes forever with most playlists and you'll see the same few people over and over. Also, Halo 2 is still terrible.

The Gears of War 1 remaster doesn't have a 4k patch either (and won't get one in the future). It's also pretty buggy, had to restart levels quite a few times because of scripts not triggering etc.

Why would you buy a Bonx for these games, seems ridiculous.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The best way to be thrifty is to spend money on things you don't need because they are cheap.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Jealous, I really want a PSVR.

VR is dead.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BrownieVK posted:

Halo 5s multiplayer is the best in the series hands down. It's also X enhanced and looks amazing on a 4k panel. The story is really really dumb but whatever.
MCC is getting updated to 4k eventually but even now it runs fine and you can play all of the campaigns in 1080 60fps. The multiplayer also works fine I was just on it the other day with the wife and we had no issue finding games quickly. Big team battles in Halo 3 are fun as hell.
Don't let the sad brains in here dissuade anyone from an X1 there is plenty to play on it, and everything looks and plays better than anywhere besides a PC.

Finding matches takes forever in both MCC and Halo 5, populations must be extremely low for both games. All the loot boxes popping up completely killed any interest I ever had in playing Halo 5 multiplayer.

And there's barely any exclusives on Xbonx, it's super sad and obvious Microsoft has let the division languish for many years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Empress Brosephine posted:

You don’t buy a Xbox one x to pay Microsoft games. You buy it because it runs third party and old games better and has a better / less toxic community than psn and a better UI

The Xbox UI is super terrible, the PS4 has a much better interface. What the hell was MS thinking. Also lmao @ "less toxic community".