Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
MS website was a slog but I grabbed a Series S. Same as everyone else, took forever to do things then complained about addresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

univbee posted:

Oh yeah, apparently it was a 20:1 pre-order ratio between the Series X and Series S. Glad next gen is getting hosed by like 12 people.

I’d like to read your source on this, if you happen to have it.

Also, I preordered a Series S so I guess get hosed everyone :confuoot:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

American McGay posted:

That's using the very advanced metric of.... illegal eBay listings. The only thing you can really glean from that is that people aren't buying the Series S to flip it, which would seem like a fairly obvious conclusion.

It is an interesting look into the cost/profit thought process of scalpers though.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

Just having a hard time imagining someone so eager for New Console that they're preordering to also be like "ahh just the Series S for me, thanks"

Since I already outed myself as one of the people who preordered a Series S here’s my reasoning a behind a series S over X (and I did have a shot at the X):

$300 + tax is cheaper than $500 plus tax for series x (not to mention the Ps5 SKUs). Wage stagnation is real and the pandemic effectively shut down my side business.

I switched to mostly digital games with this generation so the lack of disc drive means nothing. I have zero physical Xbone games and one physical Xbox 360 game that hasn’t had its servers shut down.

I don’t have nor do I plan to upgrade my TV to a 4K unit until I’m forced to replace my current 1080p screen. This may be four or five years.

The dimensions of the Series X (also ps5) would be awkward given my current living arrangements and entertainment center. I can slot a Series S in place of a One S no problem.

The USB 3.1 drives being usable for just storage on new games is good news.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Series S right now is cheaper than what a lot of Used Switch units are selling for.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Crafty posted:

Dirt looks like dirt

Stealing the words out of my mouth.

It’s not like anyone can make dirt prettier.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Oh for gently caress’s sake. This poo poo makes me glad I went with a Series S.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Series S just shipped from Microsoft. It’s happening.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I swung by my local Best Buy today, they had shells for both of the Series console shells and a new controller displayed for demo.

The S is loving tiny. It’s seriously not that much bigger than the packing of a Switch Lite.
X is smaller and more reasonable when you see it in person.
The D-Pad on the new controller is a quantum leap over previous generations of Xbox controller. I’m not kidding about this. The improvement is incredible.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

How about wireless lag? Or not enough alcohol in your system?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Happy Hedonist posted:

I’m going to require some strong psychedelics to really enjoy Tetris Effect. Bet that poo poo owns on a gently caress ton of shrooms and VR.

It’s intense in VR. I do recommend at least a good pair of headphones when you play. The soundtrack really is that good.

My series S is up, but I can’t keep a connection to XBL long enough to log in. Servers are either getting pulverized by new logins or my internet is being poo poo thanks to thunderstorms.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Tetris Effect is so pretty and eye bleeding, and my brain isn’t sure whether to be constantly on edge or completely relaxed.

You eventually get to the point where you’re kinda in the middle of them. The game does a really good job of funneling you to a flow state if you let it.

God drat quick resume didn’t seem like it was going to be that big of a deal, but there I was bouncing in and out of Tetris Effect like a mad man.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Milosh posted:

Anyone try the Series S out yet? My wife would be less mad at me if I got it.

I have one and it’s a massive upgrade from a One S.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

American McGay posted:

Just give me 4k 60fps Burnout 3 please. And not a remaster because I don't trust EA to not gently caress it up.

This is the one OG Xbox game I want to be able to get a hold of again. I had so much drat fun playing it.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

I love the IBM Model M d-pad and it's clickiness, it's so good.

It’s the, “gently caress YOU, I’M GAMING HERE!” d-pad. And I love it.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well I redeemed my Microsoft Reward points for one month of Xbox Ultimate Gamepass and apparently you can only use it for new accounts. :v:

I’m going to see if I can find someway to have it applied. Otherwise I guess I’ll just give it to someone in the thread... but boy am I annoyed.

I got hit with the same thing yesterday. I’ve redeemed for this the last couple months with no problem, so it’s a new issue.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Well I redeemed my Microsoft Reward points for one month of Xbox Ultimate Gamepass and apparently you can only use it for new accounts. :v:

I’m going to see if I can find someway to have it applied. Otherwise I guess I’ll just give it to someone in the thread... but boy am I annoyed.
I know you’re probated right now, but check your PM’s if you can.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I got hit with the same thing yesterday. I’ve redeemed for this the last couple months with no problem, so it’s a new issue.

The problem seems to be that rewards is sending out promotional codes for new GPU customers instead of codes to add months. I got it resolved but it took some phone calls and it’s a relatively new problem.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Lammasu posted:

Who did you call? I had that problem today and I sent in a tech support request but haven't heard anything back from them.

I went through Xbox support and got it to give me the option of having them call me. Automated/email support is worthless with this because the problem is a couple days old and the rewards division hasn’t caught enough poo poo for sending out the wrong codes yet.

I’ll pm you what you’ll need.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Lammasu posted:

Anyone else get their Game Pass Ultimate Codes problem fixed? I sent in a report like 5 days ago and haven't heard anything. I just tried again and says chat support isn't available for this problem so they sent me an automated thing. It had me try to redeem the code and it says it was expired. So I tried it again on the redemption website and it said it was still for new customers only. I don't know how I'm supposed to fix this.

You have to make them call you.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Lammasu posted:

How do I do that? I went to the support website and it said that telephone support wasn't available for that problem.

I got them to call me by feeding their automated support a bunch of bullshit text and replying with a no to every verification answer. I went through the Xbox support page.

I got an email this morning from my initial attempt to go through online support. I’ll just c/p part of it:

quote:

We have found an error in the Xbox 1- month Ultimate subscription codes that you redeemed from Microsoft Rewards. Thank you for bringing this up tour attention.

As a resolution, we are providing you with a replacement code. On top of that, please accept an extra Xbox 1- month Ultimate subscription code as our goodwill gesture.

Of course the link they provided has nothing in it. I was already credited the initial month so I’m not out anything.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 16, 2020

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

God drat Chromehounds was so much fun. The combat was interesting and the game stayed fun for a long time. I the Max negative money glitch didn’t even make it unplayable. And the glitch hounds that took over the game at the end of its life ended up being more hilarious than anything.

It’s the only 360 disc I still own. I’d be fully down for a sequel/update.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

SUNKOS posted:

Remember the double-doubles? I don't know how, but someone glitched it in a way to have a quad leg chassis equipped without about twenty or so of the drat things and it was nuts :stare: I wish I could find the YouTube video for it again. Prior to that I don't think the "OP" builds or whatever were too bad (double doubles could be countered decently once everyone got used to them) aside from the hovercraft chassis scouts that would be loaded with piledrivers to rush to your base and destroy it with zero combat.

I really wish that they had removed base destruction as a win condition for the game and it would have been absolutely perfect.

When the first wave of DDI hounds hit it took a while for everyone to figure out how to counter. People weren’t happy with it because it negated the whole “roles in a squad” idea when your soldier, heavy gunner, and slower scout were suddenly one hound. Once people discovered the proper sniper setups DDI’s fell in line.

Funny part about that whole thing is that if From had wanted to enforce the squad dynamic they could have just increased the power consumption of the heavy artillery and it would have forced everything back onto the quad chassis.

I was one of those pile driving scouts, but always preferred rolling up to a commander and wiping them out. That got really bad when people realized they could pound out five full wars in like a six hour span. The fix was just to increase base health by 10x.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Zexerous posted:

I absolutely adored this game and yeah I hated it when the DDI hounds came into existence. Lots of good memories from that game.

PILOT JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUICE!

Zex and I were in the same goon squads. He was the heavy gunner before DDI. Pilot Juice day is still one of my favorite life memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Crafty posted:

My lb elite button is recently busted, sekiro defeated it. It came out of its holding but I put it back in and it semi works again, feels a bit dodgy tho.

Not sure ill to get another elite controller, I rarely ever used the extra paddles except for halo. Does anyone have all 4 of those things on? It’s like learning a new language, I only ever kept one attached.

I recently picked up a couple of broken elite s2’s to fix up. I got one of them working in a matter of minutes* and started using it almost exclusively. I haven’t really found a solid use for more than two paddles in the games I tend to play, but it’s really nice option to have. Also, the battery life is great and the heft of the controller is A+.

Also, that specific one came with a literally defective paddle. No idea how that happened.

*I had to pop it open and clean it after solving the “Won’t charge” issue by using a different USB C cable. I’m trying to figure out how in the flying gently caress the inside of the controller had half a bag of chip crumbs and mucous poo poo inside. It cleaned up really nicely at least.