Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

That doesn't sound like an EA Access subscription, Watch_Dogs isn't an EA game, it sounds like maybe you bought a second hand bone and those games are installed? If you try and run them they probably won't play - and if they do it's because some dingus left it as their primary console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

You don't just get them, though, you have to claim them.

He left it set as his "home" console, that explains everything about what you're seeing.

Edit: also you overestimate the quality of Games With Gold if you think they've all been free.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I don't get how someone could hate the PS4 controller. It is pretty great. I hated the Dualshock 3 and loved the 360 controller and I actually prefer the DS4 to the bone controller. They are both pretty good but I actually think the current Xbox controller feels like a downgrade from the 360. Dualshock 4 is tits.
Some people, like me, have never cared for the stick placement. The triggers feel a bit weird, too.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TjyvTompa posted:

The difference in wired and wireless is like night and day. It's not even possible to play, for example, Geometry Wars in wireless mode, the aim just lags so much. It might not be noticeable if you have only used a wireless controller, but plug one in and compare them together and it will be immediately obvious.
Its not night and day, it's 10ms. That's potentially less than your display.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Easily.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

RBA Starblade posted:

This is for the 360, but I went back through my download history to grab a few things I wanted to replay, and I noticed it was light. Super light. Missing half the things I ever had light. Is it just pulling things out of the list or what? I know for a fact I've played Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light but my download history says I never bought it.

e: Also since I got around to playing it Fable Anniversary is loving awful
Did somebody else buy digital games on your 360? If they bought them on your console you'd have been able to play them with your account even though they're not yours. Almost like the "primary console" thing of this gen but not quite.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I just bought Oxenfree goddamnit. I guess that had to happen eventually.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

I got mad max for like 5.99 and was still unhappy. games that gate content like that are on my shitlist
"Gate content like that"?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! posted:

Story missions locked behind map region checklists like just cause and mafia3
Yeah that's a really disengaging way to handle progression.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I think anyone sincerely believing the Bonx is going to render native 4k @ 60fps is delusional.
But some games have already been proven to do so, just like some already do on the PS4 Pro :confused:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

You know what that person meant.
No, I don't. I mean Phil Spencer has publicly said he doesn't expect all developers to target native 4K. The comment was apropos of nothing; who, exactly, is saying they expect all Bonx games to be native 4K?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

My parents have their dvd player set to play widescreen movies in 4:3 on a 180p tv, then they use the zoom function to make it widescreen again. So basically the black bars take up most of the screen and half the image is cut off, and it's all stretched about 2x wider than it should be and super blurry. I tried to fix it once and they got mad at me. They've been watching movies like that for about 10 years :cry:
"But I like it that way"

gently caress off with that poo poo. Your opinion is so wrong it's invalid.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

I've played the last couple years good singleplayer PC shooters (DOOM, Far Cry 4, Wolf: New Order) and thought that Reach was about as good as a singleplayer shooter can get. Huge weapon variety, interesting enemies and a ton of them in an area at a time, and great transitions between big outdoor environments and indoor ones that make you fight differently.
That last level :cry:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Twerk from Home posted:

Xbone Ses being so cheap is unfortunately the biggest argument against the X. You could buy yourself AND your little nephew an Xbone S and still have $100 left over for the price of an X.
But you wouldn't have the World's Most Powerful Console...

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

Wasn't MS trying to hire people for a "Horizon-like" project like a couple weeks after Phil Spencer said games like Horizon and Zelda were stuck in the past?
He said they didn't make as much money as service driven games, which is probably hard to argue with if you know the financials.

Although he could be talking from the perspective of Bonx exclusive single player games (???) and not the industry as a whole, who knows?

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't understand why Microsoft gave up on the strategy of paying everyone for exclusives which seemed to make the 360 massively successful.
Mattrick hosed it all up, really. The launch was bungled by (among other things) not having the games, which puts them in a bad bargaining position to pay for exclusive games.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheHoosier posted:

uh somehow I received a Dirty Disc Error playing Ninja Gaiden Black on the X. Kinda odd
Yeah that's been a thing with digital copies of games since the 360

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I just upgraded from a 360 to One. I bought Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil for 360 way back when. When I view it on the One’s store app, it says UE isn’t available on its own anymore, you have to buy it in a bundle that includes the Rise of the Necromancer DLC.

If I were to buy the $15 DLC and own both components of the bundle, would I be able to download and play the game on my One? Or do I have to buy the full $60 bundle because I originally got the base game for 360?
The 360 version was left behind and didn't get the big expansion. Not every 360 game is available on the One; in fact, a lot of them aren't.

Edit: are you under the impression that 360 and One games are interchangeable on the One? Because they aren't. Diablo 3 for 360 is not the same title as Diablo 3 for Xbox One. They aren't compatible as consumable things, they're not the same game.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 12, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Edit: on second thought this is probably very patronising, I was talking about display refresh and render frame rates and tearing but whatever, I imagine everyone knows this stuff anyway.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 30, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's a shooter for people who don't like/aren't great at shooters. More survival horror than action.
What? This is such a dumb and wrong take. It's a shooter for everybody, whether they're good at and/or play shooters or not - it's visibly popular with both groups. The first person servers are a pretty clear sign that it's popular with people who are serious about first person shooters.

What even brought you to this conclusion?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

/\/\/\ I know a ton of people who hate competitive shooters that like this game. I can't be the only one.
Broad appeal which includes your particularly group does not mean some different group is excluded from the appeal you dummy. Ya big galoot.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Nah, PC version is boring and janky too. Fortnite BR is the far superior game.

I'm convinced a lot of the GOTY hype comes from people watching the (admittedly very entertaining) clips on youtube, which tend to omit the hours upon hours of boring gameplay.
Orrrrrr they genuinely like the game. A game doesn't have to be beloved by literally every person to be a good game, you personally don't have to like it for it to be a good game.

Edit: GOTY is the worst time of year.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

ethanol posted:

Halo ODST mp is a horde mode against ai. Halo 3 was big at the time so there was no need to make a separate mp
Not only that, ODST came on two discs, the second disc was literally just Halo 3 MP.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Someone in another thread said it didn’t hit 60 in any way that could be described as reliably

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nah, it's mostly corruption. Either pandering to stay in a developer's good books, bribery or plain old fear of rabid fanbases.
I wish someone would finally do something about ethics in games journalism.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Fame Douglas posted:

For one, not all 360 games run on the Bone. In addition, only a small handful of games are enhanced. The rest run (more or less) like on 360. Performance may be a bit better at times; definitely not "way smoother".
They at least all get vsync for free so anything that was a tearfest is going to be nicer.

I haven’t compared them but I do feel like the Fallouts load way faster than they used to, I.e. not agonisingly slow

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Does it actually delete it completely? If you try to reinstall it does it start over completely?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I wonder if it’s a weird holdover from way back when you couldn’t manage your storage at all; you “didn’t have to worry” about deleting things because it did it for you based on usage and available space. It didn’t take long before they realised that’s not what people want but I wonder if some stuff from that remains.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

2 months in a row of movie tie in games. The 360 side seems to be scraping the barrel.
Dead Space 2 is a pretty legit game, man. DS1 was already given away so it’s nice to have the 2 good DS games.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CrashCat posted:

And the new Xbox version will coincide with their newest annual update. I guess it's basically Sean and a buddy or two loving around making it as their hobby-job. Somehow they made enough even with the disastrous launch to just keep plodding along slowly...
...Hello Games is like 15 people. Not huge but not "the MD and a buddy or two."

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I know you’re being jokey but it was 3 updates in the first year and the fourth is due less than 2 years after launch and will probably be quite sizeable - the first three were.

I don’t think people appreciate how much work a game like that really takes. I’m coming to the end of an almost year long game project with one other person and when it launches I know people will find the bugs and deficiencies with it (it’s a big/well known game, a lot of people will be looking at it) and assume a whole lot about how development works and not really know the first thing. Which is fine, really, but a bit frustrating.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The king of all shady developers releases a teaser trailer showing absolutely nothing except the word Next and people still get excited about it. Unbelievable.
Their free updates, particularly the last two, added more content than a lot of games do in their paid DLC so I personally think they’ve earned a little bit of good will.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

It's good on all consoles, even the Xbox One, the least powerful console in the world.
Hey man it's the 5th most powerful console, there's still PS3s and poo poo kicking around.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Beastie posted:

I picked up ME:A and it's a turd. Even for $9 I can't be bothered to play past the first 4 hours.
Should’ve asked for thoughts, man - we all would’ve warned ya.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Blind Rasputin posted:

I’d play RE6 if it was on sale. I feel it got a bit spoiled for me on a stream, but man it looked loving intense.
Spoiled? The story is total nonsense and really doesn’t matter, you play it for the gameplay.

As with most games co-op makes it better, though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Counterpoint RE6 blows.
If you wanted a coop action game I don’t see how this is a tenable position.

If you wanted a different type of game then sure.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

What a grump

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

What the gently caress when did everyone decide RE6 wasn't a pile of whatever?
When the post-launch patch fixed a load of the issues like the camera and making the QTEs optional and people realised the joy of supplexing.

Seriously that game is like one of the best controlling third person action shooters I’ve ever played, other recent good ones being MGSV/Survive. It just handles so well.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

You misspelled Yakuza 6.
They'll port those games eventually, right?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

univbee posted:

Far Cry 5 needs a Discovery Tour like AC: Origins.
"Over here you can see these Montanan pieces of poo poo. We modelled them on real life pieces of poo poo who were also dirtbag racists, but we didn't want to alienate any of our players so we removed that aspect entirely for the final product."

Very educational.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

Jedi Outcast takes way too long to give you a drat laser sword and has one of the worst early-2000s mandatory stealth levels.
Jedi Outcast isn’t on the list, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Man, Panzer Dragoon Orta looks good for a 16 year old game.

A 16 year old game that's just had it's resolution boosted, granted, but still.