Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I, for one, am very glad stux never posts in the playstation threads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The Grey posted:

Every time I try to read the PlayStation threads it's just pages of people talking about souls games.

I appreciate the discussion here much more.

Huh usually it's just pages of ppl talking about yakuza games

Wheeee posted:

They don't talk enough about Bugsnax, which is genuinely a better written and more emotionally powerful experience than any of those Spiderman or Uncharted trash games.

Luckily for Xboners with a PC Bugsnax is also on PC and Tim Sweeney already bought you a copy so you can happily download it free without worrying about the poor little devs

I agree!! There should be more talkin bout bugsnax

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Death Stranding doesn't make you use lethal weapons at all except for a few specific sequences lol wtf did you even play the game?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

thats not what the term means. its not about forcing the player to do anything, its about the player being free to take actions which run entirely counter to how the characters and story are written outside of the gameplay elements. being able to use lethal weapons against other humans as sam, a man who has been through two voidouts with one being extraordinarily traumatic, and who has available an incredible array of non-lethal options is ludonarratively dissonant because there is absolutely no question that sam as written would do absolutely anything to never risk a void out and wouldnt go around murdering the mules who are just throwing stun rods at him to steal his packages. luckily kojima isnt braindead and does not care because having the option is fun, which is more important than some fake made up rules of how you should go about constructing a game. if you wanted to make death stranding not ludonarratively dissonant the game would have to literally stop you from using the lethal weapons against humans, because sam wouldnt use them.

The player is not Sam. Its important that the player be able to experience the consequences of actions that sam himself would never take so that the player can better understand sam and the world he lives in

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stux posted:

youre saying this like im disagreeing. im pro being able to make sam shoot people and then having to deal with "oh god the body... its going to void out lmao why did i do that". but that is explicitly "ludonarrative dissonance" which is why the term is completely meaningless without actually explaining why its bad in a specific context rather than throwing it out as "this makes the game bad", because in a lot of cases its an extremely good thing that games let you do stuff the character actually wouldnt do.

What I'm saying is that specific example is not ludonarrative dissonance

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I dont care about ludonarrative dissonance one way or another I just think death Stranding is not a good example of it. I mean sam has a very important mission to complete so hes given all the tools he might need. It is conceivable that he may need to kill someone in order to complete his mission however unlikely and undesirable it may be.

As the player you might choose to roleplay sam as someone who would carry a lethal weapon just in case and never intend on using it. Or you might roleplay sam as someone who wouldn't carry a lethal weapon at all because the consequences of using it are too great. It's not dissonant at all

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ludonarrative dissonance is the dark souls of games journalism

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Escape Goat posted:

This is so dumb. Make it a button press and if the button is held it doesn't wait at all.

edit: please pause for a second at the top of this page and read my snipe

Lol this is even worse

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Where are the "I can't tell the difference in load time" denialists, I know you're out there.

I havent noticed a difference in load times, I only a difference in how little time I have to shitpost on the forums and I'm v mad!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I don't get racing games where you can't shoot or blow up your opponents.

Racing cars in real life is fun but sometimes a video game will have to do