Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This is the weakness of those "mid generation refresh" consoles. Having a fairly new console like the Xbox One X that is competing directly with the XSS and has access to all the same Gamepass stuff as the higher end XSX means a harder sell to people who have recently (within 2 years or so) purchased an X1X. The PS4 Pro being relatively worse than the X1X and less successful considering userbase sizes ironically probably helps out the PS5, although with some big titles being cross gen with the PS4 anyway we'll see..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Akuma posted:

It's not all. I know you don't literally mean all but I do think it's an important distinction. Some games won't be able to go forwards without a patch, and depending on the age of the game that may never happen.
PS5 backwards compatibility is designed to work with every PS4 game, PS4 games don't have to be patched to work on the PS5. However from how I understand it the BC is a 'one size fits all' solution rather than individually testing each game so there are bound to be a few games that encounter bugs but it seems assured that pretty much every PS4 game you have will work on the PS5.