Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It’s gonna be hilarious when Xbox One S and Xbox Series S are both next to eachother on the shelves. So many sad children come Christmas.

Edit: especially when grandma gets a stack of Xbox Series games so little Timmy can’t even play them on his Wrong S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

stev posted:

Do children care about having the best XBox (or an XBox at all)? Surely any machine that can handle Fortnite and maybe the usual CoD/Fifa combo will do the job for them.

If a kid asks for an Xbox Series S for Christmas I don’t think they would be thrilled to get an Xbox One S

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It’s just so annoying that the branding was so close to making sense.

Xbox Series 4: (letter/word)

No matter what you do, no matter what editions come later, there’s no way you can mistake that for an Xbox one (the third Xbox) or a future Xbox Series 5 (letter/word)

Come on MS it’s not rocket science. At this point it’s on some NEW 3DS branding nonsense.

Edit: I’m a pathetic loner nerd who plays videogames all the time. It’s a big loving problem when I’m presented with the Xbox Series S and I have to ask around to find out which Xbox games it plays.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Even if I can’t tell if Xbox Series Chrome: S comes after Xbox Series Titanium: S or before, I sure as hell would never confuse the two.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Xbox Pro Series X

Mark my words.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

As a huge target demographic for the Xbox consoles, they should know they hosed up when I wake up to news on my phone about their new console and my reaction is “oh cool one of those classic console rerelease things for the Xbox 1!”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

New announcement from Microsoft? The Xbox One? Cool! I sure do wonder when they’ll announce their new console though

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Wait are you all saying when you heard of an announcement for something called Xbox 1 you knew it was for a new console? Like if I’m alone here I’ll acknowledge my stupidity but it just seems crazy that anyone’s first thought would be “oh new console!”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Just making fun of the string of cartoonishly bad branding decisions coming from those guys.

American McGay posted:

Also the fact that "classic console rerelease things" didn't exactly exist in 2013. Super weird if that was somehow your first reaction.

They existed, they just were all pretty bad up until the NES one.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

American McGay posted:

So you thought the Xbox One was one of those Atari controllers you plug into your TV via RCA cables? Still kinda weird dude.

It seemed more logical to me at the time than “they must’ve called the third Xbox the Xbox One”

Much like waking up to the news of Xbox Series X, my first reaction was “wait didn’t they already release that?”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I guess its not Vita expensive at least

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Owning the libs by buying a $300 console and a $219 drive instead of the faster more powerful 500 dollar console

So reductive. You aren’t even taking into account the benefit of being totally unable to purchase any cheaper physical games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

My credits pretty darn good which is a big deal since it means Microsoft won’t force me into the Poors Playlists

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

univbee posted:

The VMUs you got for storage were $20 and not $220, though.

It’s a real shame that the SSD doesn’t pop out and become a large VMU.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

It sucks, but just because you get the license to be able to release Scott pilgrim again doesn’t mean you get the license to re-list the old one.

I mean not that they would WANT to but I doubt they even could if they did.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I buy digital console games a lot, but I usually buy physical if it exists. There’s a few reasons for that. price, data caps, and it ensures that I can never lose that content when some license runs out and the dev patches that content out.

I will not buy a diskless console this coming generation. I don’t care how much smaller or cheaper it is.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't understand the "data caps" argument now that games have 50+GB downloads even after you installed from the disk. Discs seem to be a physical license management system to me.

Every meg matters some months, but even ignoring a data cap I usually still want the benefits of physical, especially on Switch where getting cartridges saves tons of space on the sd card

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Digital is great overall but I don’t want to lose the ability to install stuff like RDR2 off a disk, which saves almost one tenth of my data for the month.

Edit: I also don’t want to lose the option of buying games that exist on disk but have been de-listed from digital stores

Edit: Give me a console like those old CD players that could hold 5 disks and shuffle them at random. Extreme Warioware.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 11, 2020

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Streaming is a very good add-on for games but you’d have to be crazy to desire it as your only means of playing games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Anyone who believes that streaming will be their best option for games, like a Stadia owner, should really just buy a switch instead.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Also streaming will, no matter how good it gets, have a “so long as you have really good internet” requirement. A switch doesn’t need any of that an can immediately play games absolutely anywhere you happen to be.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Rinkles posted:

Just for fun, another quote from that interview

Is this the same guy that turned the Xbox 360 dashboard into 75% ads or is this some other loving rear end in a top hat?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

My favorite part is when GameStop told employees to remain open even if the cops came by to tell them to close, and even gave printouts to all their minimum wage slaves to hand the police that say “thanks for your service but lol gently caress off”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

American McGay posted:

Nobody puts in an application at GameStop out of desperation.

Have you never been out of work before? Serious question, just wondering how someone has never hit the “oh gently caress apply for anything” point at least once in life.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The company that said “we have the console for you, the Xbox 360” is now saying “we have the console for you it’s the Xbox one”

How does the Xbox division even make money!?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Akuma posted:

How is saying "this new console can play games from 4 generations" the same as "buy the old console that can play 3 generations"?

I don't understand your point.

In both instances their person in charge of making people want to buy the new machine said “there’s nothing new for you here, just buy the old one”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Just buy the disk version so you’ll always have the ability to get games at thrift stores and stuff. Also you can still buy games after some license expires and they vanish off the digital stores.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Xbox Live Arcade was really a pretty incredible thing when it was new, small file size limits aside. It allowed tiny developers to release games into a huge console market and larger devs to port old arcade game and and sell them for 5 bucks each without any overhead of getting them on store shelves.

Then it kept getting worse. Then they segmented the whole idea into Arcade, Games on Demand, and Indies, each with its own specific rules of what could be on it.

It really felt like MS took the 360’s first couple successful years and then did everything in its power to sabotage it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Actually I think you’ll find Four Swords Adventures is absolutely transcendent.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Euphoriaphone posted:

Marketing it as "One X is for 4k, Series S is for 1080p" is a really bad move.

No kidding. I’m a dumb nerd that actively follows this poo poo and I still got totally mixed up by this sentence.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

stev posted:

MGSV was by far the worst canon MGS game.

The only canon is the one you should be fired out of

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I wonder if switch games will start going up to 70 too. After all, the cartridges cost more to make than Blu-rays so that seems like justification enough for someone to set the 70 dollar precedent there.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Why is the timer on that Xbox load times trailer so small? The video makes it look like it’s only like a 5 second difference until you notice the microscopic clock on the bottom clocking it at 40 seconds faster. That’s far better than it looks if you’re just looking at the two TVs.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

really excited to see SSD companies pull the "Mac RAM" trick with PS5-compatible drives

"well you can pay $100 for this drive or you can pay $150 for [the same exact drive in blue packaging with *FOR PLAYSTATION emblazoned on it]"

it costs like 20 bucks more than the one without the logo

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I hope theres no bullshit involved with just taking your hard drive out and popping it into someone elses console and having your games there, because eventhough its an bullshit expensive proprietary drive its super cool how easy it is to just pop in and out like on the Xbox 360, and Im pretty sure the only caveat of being able to just bring your hard drive with games to a friends house was needing to be connected tot he internet.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Microsoft Smash would be cool and have stuff like An Airplane and Zoo Animals

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I heard Microsoft is removing Banjo and Kazooie from Smash and replacing them with Clippy and every one of his moves involves voice bubbles that encourage players to get rid of their baby videogame machine and get an Xbox One X like a real man

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I still can’t get over Don Mattrick saying that requiring a console to be connected to the internet at all times was “futureproofing” and not “literally the exact opposite of future proofing”

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Mischievous Mink posted:

I was on 1 tb, but it looks like I'm up to 1.2 now as well. Still not near enough for me to be comfortable without holding back.

They upped it by .2 TB while also taking away one of the yearly overages. If you ask me that’s even worse than the previous 1tb cap.

This was immediately after releasing an article bragging about how those months where they removed the data cap entirely resulted in near perfect operation and no outages for everyone in America.

They proved that caps are bullshit then moments later capped it worse than before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I easily go over 1TB within 24 hours after a hard drive format. I always try and time any new computer purchases to a time when I regain a free overage month and also just go on a crazy download spree on everything I own while I’m at it.

Basically bullshit timing I shouldn’t have to worry about