Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

DF is asmr for the unlovable

I recently discovered DF Retro and have fallen asleep watching it the last couple of days. Harsh, but fair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Euphoriaphone posted:

Chase's savings account interest rate is 0.01% (up to 0.05% if you have $250k sitting in it).

In other words, if you had $250,000 sitting in a savings account for 1 year, you'd earn $125. If you had $100,000, you'd earn $40 (at 0.04%).

Some places offered ~2% interest rates, but those have all been cut to ~0.3% since March.

I just checked my savings account, and to my surprise, my interest rate was 0.7%. Higher than I expected.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
Holy poo poo, I didn’t realize how inflated console prices were due to quarantine. Just a regular ps4 slim is going for like $400 on Amazon

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Zat posted:

I haven't had any issues with moving things around on my Xbone X between an external SSD, an external HDD and the internal HDD as needed. It is easy.

Same here. I’ve got a small external SSD that I keep my frequently played games on and a big external HDD that I store else everything on. Works pretty well

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Zerot posted:

Any Xbox One controller can be used wired. So just get whatever you can find.

A new Xbox controller is coming out with the Series X and S consoles this November, but it doesn't have many upgrades.

Some people might consider usb-c a decent upgrade. One less flimsy micro cable to have to keep around

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

MarcusSA posted:

Ok so while googling this I came across this...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/which-xbox-one-headsets-support-dolby-atmos/ar-BB1914D2

So for $15 you pay to upgrade your headset? Has anyone done this?

I have an atmos license. For games that support it, the difference is significant. In CoD multiplayer, you can pinpoint an enemies location by their footsteps with pretty amazing accuracy. I did a console update that reset my audio settings to default, and I was able to tell immediately, so it’s definitely not placebo.

There’s a free trial in the Dolby app if you want to give it a shot.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Rad Valtar posted:

Microsoft partnering with GameStop after trying to kill used games 7 years ago is pretty hilarious.

Be pretty funny if they Nokia’d them

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Sioux posted:

So we get one HDMI 2.1 cable with the console. Just connecting it to the audio receiver will probably not do anything nextgenny. Do I need to buy a second cable to put between the receiver and the TV or can I only connect the console directly to the TV? Then how do I get sound to my surround set?

I think it really depends on how new your tv and receiver are. If you have an older receiver and a 4K tv, you probably want to run hdmi from the Xbox to the tv, and then run a cable from the optical out on your tv to your receiver.

If you have an hdmi 2.1 receiver, you can probably get HDMI Arc/eArc to work. Here’s some info on it:

https://www.lifewire.com/audio-return-channel-1846845

Somebody correct me if I’m wrong here, I haven’t really dealt with much in the way of modern surround systems.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Ok Comboomer posted:

whatup fellow podcast fan

Excuse me, it’s a podcast - with pictures

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Supreme Allah posted:

MS just emailed me this, I'm guessing its for folks that secured a pre-order on the MS store

Then theres some links to pre-order accessories etc. I take it a good sign for 11/10 delivery

I haven’t received this email and you’re making me nervous

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
What is the 5th mass effect game? I have 4/5 played and can’t figure out the last one.

Also, if anyone didn’t know, there’s a big N7 event tomorrow with a bunch of the VA’s.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Akuma posted:

Hmm. My Series S is now in my Devices online, which shows my warranty is from the date of the order in September and not the date of actual release. That's a bit lame.

My SeriesX shows the warranty expiring in Jan 2022. I assume it’s a 1 year warranty, so that doesn’t make much sense either

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

gently caress, I’d almost rather give my money to scalpers than gamestop

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I haven’t really had much of a chance to play any games, but holy poo poo is the UI fast

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

American McGay posted:

I know it's not unique to the Series but the settings menu where it shows you a list of all the features that are and aren't supported by your currently connected display is really slick. Definitely helps with troubleshooting and making sure you're getting the best picture you can at all times.

Definitely. It told me my tv was incompatible with hdr, and sure enough, that port was set to legacy mode for some reason

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Arkage posted:

Am I missing something about why Destiny isn't running at 60 FPS? Still seems capped at 30...

The next-gen update isn’t dropping until December 8 iirc

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I was able to reformat my Samsung SSD, but if I plug it in it only shows up as being for media, pictures captures, does anyone know what the proper format required for the Xbox Series X is (or Xbox one as apparently you can just plug one in with no changes) and what tool I can use to do it. I'm kind of at a loss here, despite making some progress.

I had to try different USB ports on my OG Xbone before it would let me format an ssd for games. After that it worked fine in any port. Maybe try reformatting to a different file system (try exfat/fat32 or ntfs if you haven’t already).

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

ultrachrist posted:

That said, the PS5 has system wide Y axis inversion while the SX does not and Microsoft can get hosed.

I don’t know why they got rid of it after the 360, it’s honestly one of the features I miss most.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Chasiubao posted:

It’ll work even if you unplug the console. It’s more likely that it’s one of the titles where MS turned it off. I do wish there was a list somewhere so we weren’t guessing.

Yeah, I hope they bring a list to the home menu that will list your current quick resume games and let you ‘pin’ one or two of them to prevent the system from deleting them.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Barudak posted:

Ill also say it, the majority of what makes this generation, both PS5 and Series feel next gen is the loading times sweet god you can't go back.

I played AC:V for 3-4 hours Sunday night, and when I went to bed, I realized I hadn’t picked up my phone the entire time. poo poo’s wild

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Laserface posted:

is this a per-account license or a per-machine license?

I had it on my one X and want to keep using it. definitely improves the sound stage in COD (presumably its just exaggerating stereo to a greater extent)

I bought it on my XBone and am now using it on my SX, so it’s an account license.

My opinion for anyone on the fence: for games that support it, it makes a huge difference. A console update reset my audio output to Windows Sonic and I was able to tell immediately while playing Modern Warfare. It’s almost an unfair advantage to how accurately you can locate enemy players just by sound. Definitely worth $10 if you play with headphones often.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

ErrEff posted:

ME3 was released right before every publisher under the sun decided to embrace season passes as standard, but it's weird that EA never added a "all-in-one pack" option. I guess they knew the dedicated fans would buy them all anyway, so why give a discount?

Even shittier, they released a mass effect trilogy box set with all three games. No DLC included. I finally broke down and bought it all a few years ago, and it went on sale a week later. MS refunded me the difference.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I imagine ms being one of the largest cloud computing companies in the world helps keep Xbox live speedy

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Super No Vacancy posted:

very amused to learn the hogwarts legacy developer made the subzero mythologies game for the 64

I hate that game so loving much.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I got halfway through the first Mass Effect without realizing the mako had a main gun. I was playing on a small standard def screen so it wasn't at all obvious the muzzle flash wasn't from the big tube. Also, the second I noticed you get less xp for killing enemies with the mako I took out geth walkers by ramming them, parking on top of their prone bodies, getting out of the vehicle, and capping them on foot.

This literally happened to me word for word. I finally figured it out when i was doing almost no damage to the sand worm.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Ok Comboomer posted:

pictured: Super Lucky’s Tale

lol, i never read the caption on that cover before. I just thought it was some random dweeb.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
Anybody play the Outriders demo? I put about an hour into it before bed, and I’m feeling pretty positive about it. The world building seems interesting, and I’m one of those freaks that loves the division. Definitely going to play some more tomorrow.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I just played through Prey on my SX and really enjoyed it. Didn’t really notice any technical glitches. I also cranked the difficulty way low because it was much more fun exploring the game than engaging in combat.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
MS might be buying Discord?

https://twitter.com/business/status/1374183042600820743?s=21

Probably more for corporate MS, but maybe they’d integrate it into the Xbox Live network

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
Can’t you have clips upload to OneDrive and create a publicly accessible link?

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
Seconding MS rewards. I changed my search engine to bing and do a moderate amount of game pass challenges. Doing just that probably saves me 50% on GPU (or would if I wasn’t paid up until 2022).

I actually really like the game pass challenges, they motivate me to try new stuff

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I decided to play Battlefield V for the first time in over a year, and apparently the servers have been unstable/down worldwide all weekend. Based on what I’ve seen on Twitter, EA had no idea and has done nothing to fix it.

lol

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Hulk Krogan posted:

I'm enjoying it so far, with the caveat that I'm playing it on PC because I found the controls on xbox kind of intolerable. There's an excessive amount of aim acceleration built in that made aiming feel terrible to me. Apparently they're patching in more settings so you can lower/disable that, add stick deadzones, etc, but that's not in yet.

That’s good to know. I really want to like it, but aiming just feels off.

I imagine it’s complicated behind the scenes, and a lot of it is personal preference, but it blows my mind that some games still can’t get controls right. CP2077s default look controls are loving terrible.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I have played over half a dozen souls-like games and bounced off all of them except fallen order (which was a slog).

It took me many attempts over several years to get into the Witcher 3, so I keep trying one every few months, hoping it’ll finally click. But tbh, I’m losing hope. Maybe I just suck at them.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah Witcher 3 is in no way a souls like

Yeah, I didn’t mean that it is, just that’s it’s a game that didn’t click for me for ages

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Lammasu posted:

I don't get why it's MetroidVANIA. I mean Metroid did it first and Castlevania just ended up copping it. Why do they get in the name?

Because it makes the word really fun to say

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Laserface posted:

I leave mine in instant on but what I find most frustrating is that games you haven't played for a long time won't auto update in the background.

I went to play dirt rally 2.0 after about 6 months and it needed a 10gb update that released months ago.

It's probably some bandwidth saving measure but it's loving stupid that it isn't a toggle. It's the entire point of instant on mode.

I find that if I don’t manually check for updates (in my games and apps) it won’t bother updating games I haven’t played in a couple months. It only started doing this in the last year or two.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Beastie posted:

If you check out BF4 multiplayer, be prepared to get poo poo stomped by some dude with 10,000 hours in a Little Bird. The people left playing 4 are the try-hardiest try-hards.

I reinstalled BF4 a few months ago and this is so incredibly true it’s stupid. I uninstalled it the same day.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

barnold posted:

lol just saw this on the ol' tweeter in case anyone was wondering why more cross-play didn't happen sooner. classic sony poo poo

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/1389261336216014849

The only thing surprising to me is how far epic was willing to go for crossplay.

Unrelated, but I’m very excited to play FFX for the first time in 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
It seems like a no-brainer to do a RE4 remake. It would straight print money.