Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I don't care how people watch movies, but if you play games for the love of god don't use motion smoothing post-processing effects. It will greatly increase input lag (20ms to 100ms on my particular TV).

I have an LG C8 in the living room, looks perfectly fine playing 4k 30fps PS4 games. Plays absolutely awful and looks worse if you turn on trumotion. Samsung NU8000 (LED) in the bedroom with a Xbox one x, same story as the oled.

I got rid of my PC last year, and a 144hz 2k gsync monitor, and while I can tell the difference between 30, 60, and 144 fps it does not bother me in the least playing 30 fps 4k games on the TVs.

Personally, I think motion interpolation looks poo poo on movies too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I was kind of digging tomb raider until about the 100th time I pressed x to gather resources. If they reduced that poo poo by tenfold it might be alright.

Get home tomorrow to try Crackdown. Never played one so hopefully have a bit of fun in the campaign. I'm actually glad it's short, I don't have time for 30+ hour games anymore. I'm waiting for a sale on metro, I just don't have time for it right now.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I think Mr X was the best thing about the game. I had a pretty good grasp on the layout of the police station when he showed up, so Benny Hilling away from his rear end wasn't too much trouble. Did have a tense situation with him and two lickers outside the locker room though.

I was impressed with the game in general, I played the original re when it came out but never the second one. The original I played at my uncle's house and he didn't have a memory card, so if you died you had to start the entire game over. I think I made it to the spider boss.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

BonoMan posted:

Ever since then, when I wake it from sleeping, it takes about 2 or 3 full minutes for the Dash to completely load and the controller disconnects every few seconds.

Got to be the console if the dash is that sluggish. Have you tried powering off the console by holding down the power button for several seconds?

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Bloodstained runs fine on the X. Had some hdr issues (looked washed out), not sure if that's been addressed since I haven't played it since it came out.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Pretty much my experience as well with Bleeding Edge. Group sticks together and it's a great deal of fun, if not it's terrible. I was playing the healer guy in the hovercraft thing, which probably exacerbated that. He's worthless solo but fantastic at keeping a group alive.

I only had one game where it was really competitive though, all the others were steamrolling or getting steamrolled.

The targeting is sticky like Crackdown 3, you only have to aim your special abilities that are aoe's. So if you aren't great at aiming you might like this.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

God drat I miss q3ctf4. The first game I remember rocket jumping in was Marathon, which predates Quake, although not many folks were gaming on Macs back then.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Sound is a huge difference, but I can immediately tell the difference in video streaming vs disc. Netflix peaks at about 25 Mbps, even the worst discs will have twice that bitrate. Apple might be higher, I don't use their poo poo.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Stux posted:

i mean im going to be charitable and say maybe theres some surround sound thing that doesnt get proper support streaming and its noticeable?

Yeah I mean if you listen using your TV's speakers you probably won't notice a difference, but whereas a disc has about 3-5 times the bitrate on video it will have around 10 times the bitrate on audio. Not to mention the hit or miss on audio configurations (dts-hd/Dolby/etc).

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Stux posted:

i dont use netflix

Is there a streaming service that serves up lossless Dolby TrueHD or dts-hd? I only stream via Prime and Netflix.

I also don't use my Xbox as a Blu-ray player lol, so this probably isn't a great line of discussion for this thread. It is a decent one though.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I guess it's a couple years old, but The Messenger was put on gamepass a couple weeks back and it's a damned good game. I blitzed through it in about 12 hours, but have yet to play the free dlc and still need to grab a few powerseals (holy poo poo elemental skylands fire area). Fantastic music too.

I don't play too many pixel art games but I'd put it up there with Shovel Knight.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

There was a leak for Avowed posted on resetera, didn't see it mentioned here. I know Obsidian posted it would be in the world of Eora:

"As I previously mentioned before the announcement, Obsidian is working on Pillars (I assumed this regarding the info) game as back then I did get confirmation that game contains “spore-like” creatures with few other vague descriptions of The Living Lands.

So, I did get new informations about Avowed:

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process."

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I just had to update my app on the play store and it added cloud to the gamepass app. Im in bumfuck Arizona getting my truck worked on and played some minecraft dungeons and it worked pretty well (don't have a controller with me).

On a fairly weak LTE signal and there was some hitching here and there but it was very playable. Phone is a pixel 3xl. Looked pretty good but I got old eyes.

Don't think I would play shooters or platformers on this, but maybe turn based or puzzle games. Dragon quest 11 would probably be a good one.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Barudak posted:

Im in a similar boat. I cannot fathom a game they make being over 80 metacritic

Everything they have released on xbox has been over 80 except Spartan Assault, and Halo Wars 2 missed by 1 point.

I'm not a big Halo guy myself, but the animosity for 343 might be a tad overblown.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Maybe they get enough studios/games to get the clout to put gamepass on playstation and nintendo hardware down the road, maybe they don't. Maybe they sell some of the big guns on other consoles for $70, maybe they don't.

It sure is awesome to be a xbox fan today though. I was going xbox for game pass before the acquisition. Sold my gaming pc a couple years back and picked up a one x, don't miss it a bit.

At 40 years old with ever more limited time to even play games I'm not the target demo for anyone trying to sell games for a living, but gamepass has made a lot of sense for me and I'm signed up for a couple years already anyways.

I like elder scrolls games, and id's games that aren't wolfenstein (return to castle wolfenstein was great though), and hopefully starfield is freelancer 2.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Tried refreshing the Amazon direct link for about a minute, said gently caress this, and ordered with no problems on Microsoft's store. Don't know why Amazon is such a disaster for this stuff with AWS and all.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Republicans posted:

Same, the "place order" button is greyed out.

Click to verify your address, same thing happened to me.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Roman posted:

is there an actual product page link or is it still that "learn about series x" page

I just saw web errors and dogs, I used a "direct" link from IGN's twitter, I'm assuming their link was correct because it's the same thing that happened with the ps5 (ordered one for my son).

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Having a freesync capable tv will finally pay off. Mine only works from 48 to 60 fps on 4k, but it looks like most of the games shown in the digital foundry video are falling into that range. Never got much mileage out of that on one x since so few games target 4k60.

Kind of curious if anything will run above 60fps in 1080 or 1440 resolution, my tv goes up to 120 fps in those modes with freesync all the way up.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Elite 2 is the best controller I've ever used, and thankfully I've had no problems with mine. The controller that came with my one x had a sticky A button, would sometimes register double presses.

Never had stick drift on an xbox controller, although we've had some switch joycons do that.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Thumb stick tensioner and internal battery (lasts 40 hours maybe...it's a long rear end time) on the elite 2. Also expensive as gently caress at $180.

Might be more, I didn't own an elite 1.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

1440 with VRR it is. Seems like my hdmi 2.0 tv might be enough to pull through this gen. Can do 4k60, 1440p120, and 1080p120 with VRR on all three.

I'm actually not bothered too much by 30fps but it is jarring going from higher refresh rates to a 30fps game. Borderlands 3 felt terrible after playing Rage 2 on the one x. After 30 minutes or so my brain seems to adjust though.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

https://www.trueachievements.com/my-xbox-story/816086

I just bought an xbox one when rdr2 came out, so not much on mine. We had an og xbox and a 360, but I'm guessing we had accounts set up for kids or something. My achievement game is poor.

Starting to think my series x won't make it here on the 10th. Microsoft charged me but no notification of shipping or anything. Not a big deal as I won't be home till that Friday anyways.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Mine just left memphis, and my order says microsoft charged my card, but there's no charge on my bank account. There was one pending from MS for a few days and then it up and disappeared. Maybe I will get a free console, or maybe they will recall it through FedEx. Not sure what happened.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I think valhalla looks pretty good on the xsx, but my tv has vrr so I haven't noticed any screen tearing.

I downloaded zuma's revenge off gamepass for my wife and played like five hours after I should have gone to sleep though. Probably have as much time on that as valhalla. Playing mobile games on my $500 console.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Fly Ricky posted:

I’ll be honest I haven’t been impressed with HDR at all on my LG CX. I thought FH4 was supposed to be a good example, but I’m not really seeing it. I’ve got everything set up correctly.

Is there a standout game for this?

Gears 5 hdr looked pretty dope on my C8.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I played a dozen or so hours of cyberpunk this weekend and rather enjoyed my time with it. Some bugs here and there, and it was funny the first time I parked my car and came back to miles of traffic in every direction. The story elements seemed pretty solid so far, and I found plenty of interesting stuff just wandering around. I did not care for the witcher games so I'm probably an outlier though.

I do kind of wish they had done the shadowrun setting instead of this one, but it's been interesting exploring a new setting.

Really I would just like more time because I'm in the middle of yakuza 7 which is a spectacularly funny game for someone who's never played any of the others. I might finish that up while cdpr works on patching up their game.

My only regret so far on xsx is valhalla. It's...okay I guess. I don't think these new style of assassin's creed games is for me.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

univbee posted:

Yeah, I remember the game at launch was under 4 gigs on PC, I legit thought Steam had an incomplete copy somehow.

I bet those textures would hold up on a 65 inch oled. Probably look like cyberpunk on the xbox one.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is, by far, the best Wolfenstein game. My wife doesn't even play games and she loves that game.

The new ones are...not good.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

Well Cyber Shadow took me twelve hours and 572 deaths to beat. Pretty good, it's no shovel knight though.

Time to start The Medium. Definitely not the type of game I'd buy, but maybe I'll like it.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

The difficulty seemed pretty even, there was a side area for one if the health/sp upgrades that I had absolute hell with. It's one where there's spikes and flying enemies everywhere and a box of spikes moves with you that you have to stay in. I think it was a get good scenario, I could probably go back now and ace it...but sometimes it felt like the double jump wouldn't work jumping off the walls and I was getting pretty frustrated.

Wasn't a fan of the bike area either but I only died a few times on it.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I don't care much for VR either. I bought an oculus quest when they were new and tried beat saber, some space pirate game, and some star wars game. Then it sat in my room for several months. Luckily they were scarce so I wound up selling it before Christmas for more than I paid.

My kiddo likes his PSVR but I haven't seen him use that thing in probably a year. I tried skyrim and re7 for that and ehhhh....vr has a ways to go before I try it again.

Still lots of compromises for mostly gimmicky games in my opinion. It's nifty for watching 3d movies though.

mem
Sep 1, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

My series X randomly can't read my mafia definitive edition disc. I had downloaded it but never played it. Everything else is fine, disc isn't damaged. So weird.

Do a hard restart on your console. I had this problem with another game and it was driving me nuts. But it worked fine after I held down the power button for ten seconds or whatever and it did the full shutdown instead of the standby mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mem
Sep 1, 2005

I wish they would enhance New Vegas like they did Fallout 3. I haven't tried it in the series x but I would assume it's the same low res.