Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

I've been able to pick up a refurbished XSX from the German Microsoft store recently, and so far I've noticed it's really fast. I used to turn on my XB1, turn around, walk to the couch, sit down, and wait for the account select screen to appear. With new hotness, the account select screen appears almost immediately after i turn it on!

Don't have any XSX-enhanced games yet. So far I've played Undertale, Borderlands 2 and Unravel 2. I was a bit disappointed in BL since every gun feels as impactful as wet cardboard, but the art style is very cool.

Also tried remote play for the first time and it works very smooth. That's pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Tbh I'm warming up to the new Xbox Series controller, that share button is nice for someone who takes as many screenshots as I do. As long as it doesn't do something stupid like post a branded screenshot to Facebook.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I'll just be happy with any new IP. I'm so sick of endless Halo, Forza, and all the other games getting their 6th sequel or some poo poo

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Did some ownership rules change recently, or is it just my new XSX? I used to just be able to tell my kid that they could play any game I owned from my (digital) game library, but since I got the new console, it always a to pop up a dialog saying "the person who bought this game needs to sign in" when he tries to start one. After that it works fine, but I'm very sure it didn't do that before.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Sywert of Thieves posted:

but since I got the new console, it always a to pop up a dialog saying "the person who bought this game needs to sign in" when he tries to start one.

I looked it up, apparently I haven't set the new console as my "home console" yet. Should be good then.

Also CoD is the blandest of bland shooters. It may not have been when it started, but it sure is now.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Oh, wow. I swear I only saw one person joke quoting my post before the discussion moved on. :doh:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

adhuin posted:

Metal: the Hellsinger is going to be GOTY.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOrMizZJHh4

a Fun little Doomshooter.

This looks great if you're both a huge fan of the band, and really liked Painkiller. For others, is probably fun for significantly less time.

The rise of beatmatching FPS games is interesting though.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Someone mentioned to me that a Sea of Thieves 2 game was announced/teased, but I can't seem to find anything about that. Just the Season 7 thing. Is that it?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Sometimes I get the feeling I'm missing out on nostalgia. We played cheap/free games on pc and I only had one friend with a NES console. The games I remember fondly, hardly ever get remastered or rereleased on console. :smith:

On the other hand, it also sounds like I'm saving a ton on money by not buying mini-versions of old lovely consoles and infinite lineups of newer versions of Mario/Sonic/Link games.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

There's an Xbox sale going on right now that has some nice games. Deep Rock Galactic is on sale for 15 EUR for the first time, so I picked that up. It's Play Anywhere so I'm probably playing that with my PC buddy soon. :haw:

https://www.trueachievements.com/n50192/xbox-sale-roundup-june-28th-2022

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

GigaPeon posted:

Just FYI, ‘Anywhere’ doesn’t include the Steam version.

Worse yet, the Steam version of Deep Rock Galactic is twice as cheap but doesn't have crossplay. :(

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

"RimWorld, the Acclaimed Sci-Fi Colony Management Sim, is Coming to Xbox on July 29"

🤔 I think I remember playing this with some friends in university, around 1998. It was very very boring.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

want quake 4 on back compat so bad 😫

Back compat was added to the Quake 3 Arena Arcade game a while back, at least there's that.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I got to play Fall Guys for the first time last night with a friend and it's really fun. Really stupid, and somehow also really hard. Out of ~21 games, we qualified like 8 times and never made it to the finals. If that's even how it works, idk lol

We did run into a few people who just idled or spun in circles after everyone finished.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Huxley posted:

I dont think I've ever seen a game put its hooks into my 8/10 year olds as hard and fast as Fall Guys.

My kids saw me play it and wanted a turn, the 4yo was laughing like mad watching her bean fall over and bumping into things. The 7yo got annoyed that he couldn't win.

It's a good game to play on front of children, because I'm sure as hell not showing them Borderlands or Maneater.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I've played through the entire Avatar TLA TBE game and it's actually a pretty good game. It follows the first 2-3 seasons of the tv show pretty closely. I was hesitant on playing it since I haven't finished the show, but thankfully it didn't cover the entire 4 seasons.

Townscaper, Tracks: The Train Set Game and Energy Cycle are very quick for achievements. I'm not sure if the latter is on GP.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

There's no doubt about that even to a casual observer.. I have 263k gamerscore :D

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

kecske posted:

half of the prompts in fall guys either don't work as directed or are playstations X and O

I've only played this for a few hours, but haven't noticed anything wrong. Where are these?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

ColdPie posted:

I was going to try Fall Guys but it said I needed an Epic account so I uninstalled it. I'm already logged into Xbox, I'm not logging into another goddamn service just so you can send me spam.

I just clicked X and it automatically created an account and tied it to my Xbox account. That's it. I don't get what the big deal is.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I've never been able to get into "sweaty" territory in Destiny 2 pvp, since I was always more entertained by watching my character ragdoll after dying, than by actually shooting others.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Laserface posted:

I didnt play Quake but HL1/2 good grief I loving hate the 'plot' of Half Life.

I guess you were right to not play Quake 1 because it's got the patented John Carmack Plot® of "shoot gun until win". :haw:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

When I got my XB1 I also picked up 500gb SSD and a 3TB external drive off of Amazon, and I still haven't filled up either of them after 6 years. When I got the XSX last month I just plugged those into it and everything worked fine.
Only like 3 games so far told me they HAD to be installed on the internal XSX storage.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

"organized chaos" in a video game always reminds me of the hilarious chaos that was Saints Row 2. That hasn't had so many systems influencing each other, there was always something going wrong in funny ways - without you even interacting with it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

Next Encounter is a good console Serious Sam.

It's this the Serious Sam 4 game, or another new one? I gave up during SS3 because I couldn't beat the final boss. I heard that SS4 is more fun though.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Even if nfts were blowing up at some point, the hype has died down after a year and now it's just worthless blockchain garbage. All these corporations are both too late and too dumb to profit from it.

edit: literally everyone into nfts is dumb, not just corporations

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

hatty posted:

My policy on f2p games is that if it’s good I’ll buy one(1) skin as a little tip to the developers. Haven’t found a f2p game that I really like though

I liked Destiny 2, but I bought it when it still cost money. Truth be told, I also bought three dlc packs for the game. It's a good game even though it's F2P with Battle Pass and all that crap.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Did Destiny 2 ever move beyond reskinning the same handful of enemies over and over?

The Witch Queen expansion added lots of new stuff, including enemies, a new weapon, new raid etc.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Hey, is there couch co-op in Powerwash Simulator? I showed the trailer to my wife and she made fun of me, but I suspect she'd really enjoy it if we played together. :haw:

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

barnold posted:

turned on the console today and it asked me to optimize my external HDD by choosing whether it will stay connected to my Series X or be brought around to other consoles. I'm on the beta branch of the Insider program but none of the patch notes that I can find mention anything about this feature or exactly what it does. anyone else seein this?

I can't find anything about this online. Does Google show up anything when searching for the exact phrasing?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

All this talk about Powerwash Sim kinda makes me want to pick it up, though I usually wait for sales.

Also if there's a sale and a game is less than a dollar, you're required to pick it up!

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

My little girl makes me shave every time I get more than a stubble, or she withholds cuddles :(

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

A flex emoji? That's the laziest update announcement I've ever seen.

Sywert of Thieves fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jul 19, 2022

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

John F Bennett posted:

Man, I have spent so many hours with NMS, I absolutely love the game and at the same time I 100% get why people might find it boring af.

The "story" sucks and you're constantly seeing the same things again and again but there's something about the game that makes me go back all the time. It's about the wonder of exploration and that does something to my brain, even if the procgen stuff repeats itself most of the time.

I've played NMS only for as long as it took to pick up all the achievements (about 82 hours) but I remember grinding learning words until I could understand a complete word balloon on a station. Sadly it was by one of those warrior race dudes who proceeded to profoundly insult me. :smith:

Also I planned on traveling to the centre of the galaxy myself, but it was like 300k lightyears and every hyperjump only took me like 10-50 lightyears closer. So I just found someone who already had a base there, joined him and did the final jump.

It was a good game thanks to all the updates it got over the years, but it's not a great game.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

Well that's a let down. Who loving does that lol

Lazy ports I guess. A few weeks ago Fall Guys came out on console, and when you boot it up there's a very obvious mouse cursor on screen during the first splash screen. It's dumb.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

loving FINALLY.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I'm excited for Discord on Xbox (in a few months probably) but not looking forward to creating and maintaining my own server just to chat with my pc gaming buddy once a week.

Maybe i can just use some public Discord server idk

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I tried to use the in-game chat once when we were playing across some people on XBOX some on windows and it was an absolute disaster and we just all went to discord lol

Xbox Party chat is notoriously unreliable on pc through the Xbox pc app. Discord is excellent, but was never available on console. Hopefully both problems will now be solved.

Larry Parrish posted:

I mean if that's all you want you don't need to actually do anything. Just give him the invite code.

invite code to what?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

... The discord server? anyway there's a third party discord client that mostly works. sometimes the voip stops working though, I don't think Xbox has very good third party support for that stuff

Oh, I thought you meant there's a way for 1-on-1 voice chat in Discord without the need for a server. I misunderstood.

Also I know about Quarrel, the 3rd party Discord client. From what I've heard it's ok but the voice chat craps out a lot, which would be the most important part for anyone using it.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

MikeRabsitch posted:

Also I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but is Agents of Mayhem worth $2?

FWIW, the online servers that allow you to do "contracts" were shut down a while ago, so there also one achievement in there that is unobtainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

Barudak posted:

I got all achievements in agents of mayhem and do not ever recommend that or really the game as a hole. Its a disjointed mess that didn't understand itself or simply was a midstream design shift that didn't work. Its at war with itself

I picked it up years ago because Saints Row was so much fun, but I've seen nothing but mediocre reviews about it sadly. I haven't tried it yet.