Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

univbee posted:

Why compromise when a PS4 has all the Xbox games and a boatload of major exclusives, of the anime and non-anime (e.g. Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh) type?

Because the PS4 controller is awful.

I have both and the only games I ever play on my PS4 are Uncharted and Horizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

fishmech posted:

I have no idea but my Amazon order says scorpio edition. I think I get a free game?

I think the only differences are the console itself has a slightly different texture and the controller says Scorpio Edition on it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

The lack of good headset options is still bothering me though. Seems like Turtle Beach 800x is the best but they are obscenely expensive, and it's Turtle Beach.

I have those and they're great, other than the weird method they have for adjusting your mic's volume. There's only four volume levels and they're named after how loud the ambient noise in your room is. I don't know if they're worth the money but they sound better than my actual 5.1 speakers.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't understand why people want that. The original xbox controller was terrible. I'm surprised Microsoft was able to get it right with the 360 controller.

They got it right with the smaller Japanese version they started including with every system worldwide after everyone hated the Duke.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
The controller that came with my S creaks quite a bit, maybe because I use it too much. The one that came with my Oculus Rift doesn't creak at all, but I've put maybe 5 hours on it since I got it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

spasticColon posted:

I'll just wait for the PS5 then. I want a console or gaming PC that can run games at 4K60 without having to break the bank but that's probably at least three years away. I would get a GTX1080Ti but that's a $700+ video card and my six year old CPU would bottleneck it.

Lol if you think PS5 won't individually render every single hair of Drake's stubble and still run at 30fps.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
My most played original Xbox game was probably NHL 2K5. Unfortunately I doubt it's very high on the BC priority list.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Best buy never sent the PUBG download code that was supposed to come with my Bonx, then customer service said they'd resend it and they never did. I don't even care at this point, I probably would have just given it away.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Far Cry 5 runs at true 4k and a steady 30fps on X.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuKpA2iORd4

It's also the only game or movie I've seen where the HDR really impressed me.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I liked it a lot except for how it's sort of an action-RPG but you get all the best gear 1/4 of the way through the game.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
FC5 is great in that it has a fantastic setting and pretty much no plot. Video game stories are universally terrible so that's about the best you can hope for.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I loved it except for the huge difficulty spikes where the only way to get to a fast travel point back to enemies you can handle is through a bunch of ones you can only plink at like you're shooting spitwads. I never got around to finishing it.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

spudsbuckley posted:

Most people don't even realise it was released.

You can apply this to pretty much all the latest entries in all of MS exclusive franchises.

All the MS first party franchises feel like something that gets announced and then people just see a link to the story at the side of whatever they're reading and think "oh I don't care about that anymore."

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I played Halo 5 for about 30 seconds before I realized that every time you get hit it pulls you out of ADS. Who thought that was a good idea?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Beastie posted:

I was obsessively manipulating my Bravia's picture settings for my One X for weeks until I caved and set picture mode to Auto and it's 1000 times better.

People complain about TV default settings on the internet endlessly so I spent close to an hour meticulously going through a calibration test and ended up with settings that were very slightly different than the defaults. I think all I ended up doing was setting the color temperature to neutral and changing the contrast from 100 to 98.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Empress Brosephine posted:

For honor or overwatch? I’m looking for a game to play on my rainbow six box

Banned for the n-word, huh?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I kinda skipped out on 15 years of racing games but I've been playing Horizon 2 and it rules. I also tried Forza 5 when it was free and it sucked rear end.

Those are my opinions on the free Forza games.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Ico or Shadow of the Colossus, probably.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Barudak posted:

Depending how you view it is “Best game ever” the criterion for number one or is it “most influential” and how do you measure that one.

Most pretentious.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean to further establish what I mean, a game on the Xbox One X has to be designed to work well with the Xbox One. So while things like resolution and framerates can be improved, developers can't do something like say take out a setpiece that didn't work on the Xbox One, but add in for Xbox One X players.

They're not allowed to do that.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
The duke is absolute trash that I hated from the moment I touched it. I could pull off 1,000,000 point combos in Tony Hawk 3 on PS2 but could barely break 1,000 in 2X because of that piece of poo poo.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
It does that for games, but I've never heard of it for streaming video. It's possible, though, I suppose.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I installed a 500GB internal SSD in my X and it's pretty good, but not as fast as my PC with a similar drive on the same game (Destiny 2). Either the CPU just isn't able to pull files off it fast enough, or the game isn't optimized for it. And in multiplayer you'll still have to wait for everyone else to load in. It's a nice upgrade and well worth the price, but isn't a night and day difference.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Apparently Microsoft is buying Obsidian.

https://kotaku.com/sources-microsoft-is-close-to-buying-obsidian-1829614135

Please don't force them to churn out yearly Fable sequels.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I'd play that.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Doesn't "blockchain based" just mean that everyone's computer or Xbox or some poo poo is keeping track of everyone else's gamerscore?

Cryptocurrency in general was just a PC gamer nerd version of all the incredibly complex bullshit Wall Street thought up to make money without doing anything because the government couldn't understand it in order to know how to regulate it until it was too late.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
What the hell is diamond?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
If I had to guess I'd say Microsoft had a certain amount of system resources reserved for the UI, then when they learned how much more powerful the PS4 was going to be in comparison, they reduced it to allow more for games. The update that brought over a lot of Windows 10 code helped a little but it's still laggy, even on my X with an SSD.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
I think Xbox Live just Breakdown-ed.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Beastie posted:

I think it kind of depends on your TV. I turned off HDR10 on Xbox and it looked blown out. It's one of my biggest gripes about HDR that every game seemingly needs to be tweaked.

I got drunk on saturday and spent like an hour loving with settings on my tv and Xbox and ultimately walked away unhappy.

It's a mess because with SDR, it was generally agreed upon that content would be mastered for a brightness level of 100 nits because that's roughly what a CRT could display. But the brightness levels of HDR TVs vary wildly and there's no consensus on where the baseline should be.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Was anybody asking for that?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

DrNutt posted:

It's for all xbones afaik but it's dependent on developer support so a bunch of lovely ftp and shovelware games support it at the moment. The two biggest titles that currently support mouse and keyboard are Warframe and Fortnite.

Also I realize that Harmonix is like two dudes in a garage getting paid in weed now but God drat is their support for large music libraries dogshit. After upgrading to the x, rock band refused to recognize like 85% of my music library and I've had to delete and redownload my entire 1100+ collection of songs to get them to be recognized by the game. Since they made an entire new Rock Band game for this console generation you'd think they'd have this poo poo worked out better, especially since people like me with absurd music libraries are probably the last people left playing this silly game.

I'm just pissed that since I didn't get it until after Mad Catz went out of business, I can't get my drum kit replaced even though it was broken out of the box. And prices for used ones are completely ridiculous.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Professor Shark posted:

Hi I bought an Xbox One X today so I guess you guys will have to read my posts now so sorry

I bought the Fallout 76 version with Fortnite and Fallout 4, I guess I'll also buy a mouse that works with the Box and the Gold subscription or something

I'm a console owner now

FYI very few games support mouse and keyboard yet.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Fanatic posted:

I recently upgraded to One X (been mostly playing RDR2 and BF5 so I've been posting in those threads) from my 2013 OG Bone and the graphics & fps improvements for the enhanced games are so worth it. Gives me high hopes for next gen because those two games almost look like a next gen leap.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with it. It runs really quiet, is compact and I got it bundled with 8 games. Yes the UI is crap but it's not hard to pin what you use to the dashboard, like most other UI's you have to organise it to some degree (just Xbox needs it more than most).

Let's not pretend that the PS4 UI is great either. You can't re-arrange anything and it sticks you with a bunch of icons you'll never use but can't remove. I don't have enough games to be making folders and poo poo, I just want the 4 or 5 games that I own to be at the front, in the order in which I'm likeliest to want to play them, and you can't do that like you can on Xbox.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

exquisite tea posted:

You can create folders and stuff all the apps you don't want to see in there.

You're quick. Can you move that folder to the back so you never have to look at it? Or is it going to be stuck in between Uncharted 4 and Uncharted Lost Legacy for some dumb reason?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

RBX posted:

Yes it did. The only way Crysis didn't run at 60 was at max everything. I played it on release on a 8600.

If the only time you use the UI is to play Dad Simulator or that old bad 360 game then you miss the point. When I'm making a group post, inviting people, starting parties, looking for recent players, and going through clips all the time waiting on this poo poo to load adds up to an hour. Its incredibly slow, prone to hanging, laggy, and inconsistent. I played with a dude yesterday for 6 hours straight and forgot to add him. Today I literally couldn't find him at all. I even went to through a clip, found his GT, copied it exactly, and Xbox couldn't find him.

Something to do with his privacy settings maybe? I hate that poo poo. I mean I can see if someone is like a famous twitch streamer not wanting to be inundated with nonstop invites, that's what the 'friends only' setting is for, but they let you just be completely invisible to everyone which doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than to frustrate your friends waiting to see if you're gonna show up when you said you would.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
Yeah I was loving around with my settings and left it outputting 1080p once and it's surprisingly nice. Not as detailed as 4K but extremely smooth, much better than my old One S.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist
This feels like the first time the games added are better than the ones being removed.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

TheScott2K posted:

I was surprised how bad Super Lucky's Tale was.

I've only played the original on Oculus Rift, but I can't imagine how it would be worth anyone's time without being in VR. poo poo like finding hidden items by actually moving around things to see from a different angle was cool as hell. Without that, it's just a milquetoast version of a genre that went stale decades ago.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

TheScott2K posted:

MS is excited for it because getting the drive out of there and not having to pay for Blu-ray licenses makes it cheaper to build. Honestly, no idea why any consumer would be like "oh, cool! I want that!"

Yeah. It's "my kid wants an xbox, which is the cheapest one?" and now they can make it a little bit cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

The Great Twist

Beastie posted:

I was playing BO:Paradise last weekend and Faith No More came on the radio and I was like "gently caress yeah that's my jam"

This but it was Forza Horizon 2 and "Debaser" by the Pixies.