Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Real hurthling! posted:

Ori is good
Recore is an unfinished mess
Halo 5/gears 4 are more of those games.
Dead rising 3/4 are sucky versions of dead rising
Rare replay is good value
Ryse is launch window filler
Sunset overdrive is ok

Cant think if anymore games rn except forza

Sunset Overdrive has been my favourite GwG so far. Takes a bit of practice to master the parkour system, but when you do it feels awesome. I even found myself using it to travel after I had unlocked fast travel.

I actually enjoyed Dead Rising 3 but maybe because I played it co-op. I don't think it'd hold up well as a single player, since it's lacking alot of the things that made 1 & 2 great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

It's great to see the Xbox thread is full of joy and hardly any talk about "just get it on PC, bro," and other arguments that sound like vinyl-only audiophiles but for video games. I'm not sure what you call those people anyway, because that kind of nonsense is absent from these forums and not a thing that happens.

:)

Super chill.

:agreed: Personally I have an Xbone, a Lenovo Y50 for gaming and a Macbook Pro for everything else. They all have upsides & downsides and I don't need a 60fps graphics nazi to tell me that. I just don't care.

I prefer the convenience of gaming on the Xbox and have a huge backlog for it thanks to GwG freebies. I just use the PC for RTS games, co-op games with my PC-only friends and random Steam games.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I thing Gamepass is only worth it if you're really into indie games and have missed all the GwG's up to this point, since alot of those titles feature in that list.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Umm... Why does the new Xbox dashboard have an ad recommending the top LGBT Social Club in my area?

Microsoft thinks I'm gay apparently :gay:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Sunset Overdrive was extremely bad. As in one of the worst games I've bothered giving time to this generation bad.

We're talking Gone Home bad

And it was free

Nah, it's awesome. You probably just sucked at the parkour, which admittedly takes some getting used to but feels great when you master it.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone picking up anything in the spring sale? Dishonored Death of the Outsider is half off. I am liking it so far even though I’m kind of burnt permanently out on dishonored. You can use void magic to tear off a person’s face and wear it in this one, which is cool.

I picked up Titanfall 2 a couple of weeks ago on the sale for like $5. Campaign was fantastic and I found that the multiplayer is still active too (but is still a bit CoD'ish for my tastes). Quite an underrated game imo.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:frogout: PS4 weebs

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I've been playing through my backlog and just finished Far Cry 4 (XB1 port). Even though it seemed a little dated, the gameplay was a real blast and the different endings, foreshadowing and twists in the story were interesting.

The weapon progression kept things fresh to. I went from being stealthy with a bow & arrow to blowing everything up with a loadout of rocket & grenade launchers, Buzzsaw machine-gun and silenced sniper rifle. :hellyeah:

Real hurthling! posted:

Is live being weird for anyone rn? The website says its all up but my console is having big problems staying signed in and looking at/downloading store items

There's an Xbox Live Free Play Days for All event going on right now until 17th May where multiplayer is open for everyone, so it could be that.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Eh the UI is fine to me. I can play the game I want to in under 5 seconds thanks to Recent Games and Pins, so who cares.

It used to be ALOT worse during the Windows 8 era. Scroll over to the Community tab if you want to see how the entire UI used to look. :barf:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

RBX posted:

Hell yeah. Me and my friend constantly had voice chat issue in games were we couldn't hear one another or anybody else in game until we power cycled. Now we don't use rest at all which is a shame they haven't fixed that yet.

Rest mode can also glitch achievements too, causing them to not unlock. Makes me wonder if it has some kind of inherent memory leak issue going on.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Gears (like Halo) had a split-screen co-op campaign which was pretty cool. Don't see that feature much anymore.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Empress Brosephine posted:

Anyone know if it’s easy to hack a 360 these days?

My friend did that many years ago, he took it to some local modder he found online who did it for a few bucks. Within a few months though, somehow Microsoft detected it and banned the console from Xbox Live lol so be careful.

fishmech posted:

If someone has a VCR around modded for HDMI output, well, I'd be impressed.

Well, my Xbox looks like a VCR. :smug:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Just finished The Turing test from my GWG backlog. It's a pretty cool indie puzzle game that gave me Portal vibes with its similar 'rogue AI' kind of plot and sci-fi setting. Instead of a portal gun though you carry a gun that can manipulate these power orbs to open doors, raise platforms etc.

The same dev made another GWG puzzle game Pneuma: Breath of Life, but I found it to be much better than that one.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

State of Decay 2 trip report thus far.

Buy expensive version to play early on disc. Go home to find 90% of the game isn't on the disc. Wait 5 hours for update to finish. Play for an hour because it's so late.

Fire it back up. Another 20 gig update. Guess I'm not playing tonight either.

Game updated. It now just crashes at the initial load screen...It is completely unplayable.

wow

Well, thank you and all others like you who ignore current trends and still inexplicably buy new games in tyool 2018, for beta testing them before I buy them in a year or two! :cheers:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Ryoga posted:

Pretty sure it's settings>account info>purchase history>click the refund button on the game you accidentally bought. My brother just had to do this after accidentally buying GTA5.

Rockstar are such scammers, naming their game in such a way as to trick gamers who were actually trying to buy Granny Theft Auto. :argh:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Apparently they've started rolling out that new "Fast Start" thing for a few of the smaller Game Pass games for users in the beta program.

Also Avatars, which is something I haven't touched in half a decade is getting revamped - https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/06/18/new-avatar-editor-debuts-to-xbox-insiders/

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Phil said the hardware team is already deep in the process of development on the next xbox consoles

Not to mention they purchased a whole bunch of game studios to put exclusives on them. I think Microsoft will have a much better showing when next gen comes around but I can't see them beating a Playstation 5 unless history repeats and there's another PS3-esque pricing fiasco, where the PS3 ended up $200 more than the entry-level Xbox 360.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I could absolutely see Sony getting cocky and greedy after running the table like after PS2

It's possible. But unlike previous gens, the next generation systems will likely have virtually identical stats (something along the lines of AMD Ryzen CPU, 16GB GDDR5, 2TB HDD w/ SSD 'Pro' option) so the price difference will be minimal. Microsoft playing catchup might still undercut PS5's price by a fraction.

What will be interesting to see is whether Microsoft releases their system a year before the PS5 like they did with the 360 to make back ground on Sony's established PS2 lead (resulting in a lead but also the red rings of death).

Edit: I think we'll see Xbox V (the One X is the 4th box you see :v:) in 2020 and PS5 in 2021

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 20, 2018

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Next gen is about ryzen cpus.
This gen was hosed from the start because of the choice to go jaguar. Decent cpus will give us higher framerates, more realistic simulations, etc to offset the plateau in resolution

Amd is just about to launch ryzen bearing apus in china this month at ps4 pro level gpu performance for some company trying to do their own version of steamboxes. By the time next gen comes along we will see ryzen paired with gpus much more powerful

Yeah it'll be good to see how this Ryzen console configuration performs and no doubt Sony & Microsoft are taking notes. Another interesting thing about the Subor Z+ is that it'll have both Windows 10 (PC mode) and Windows 10 (console mode) and that it will use GDDR5 for the CPU rather than DDR4.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Just heard that this weekend there's free multiplayer on Xbox Live and you can play ONRUSH and ESO for free too.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I've been playing ONRUSH which is free to play this weekend. It's kind of like a team-based demolition derby with a few different game modes and vehicles with different abilities.

It's pretty fun for a free game but kind of lacks in any substance to consider paying anything for it. Apparently it runs in 60fps on the One X though which is cool I guess.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

I came across this shortly after asking, and I just assumed the newest games were shown at the top. Thanks for the battery recommendations everyone.

If I'm not a fan of racing sims, will I enjoy the Forza Horizon games? Or are they arcadey enough to enjoy? I'm browsing through the Xbone exclusives list and I completely forgot about Ori and Sunset Overdrive.

I haven't played the previous ones, but Forza Horizon 3 is superb and definitely one of my favourites on the system. It's open world and definitely arcadey enough. The reward system and constant positive reinforcement the game gives you will make you feel good, even if you've had a lovely day. :)

I didn't mind Sunset Overdrive which I got for free in GwG awhile back. It can take some practice to play properly because you have to be able to combo parkour moves together while shooting enemies, or your weapons won't be as effective.

Visually it's nice but the gameplay can get a bit repetitive and a lot of the fourth wall jokes fall flat. Also the multiplayer is pretty dead so I'd only buy it if I could get it cheap.

Edit: also I've been using the same Play and Charge kit for like four years now and it's still going strong, so I can recommend that too.

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Aug 14, 2018

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

ethanol posted:

if you wipe the drive, it will be fixed for a matter of days or weeks, but it will eventually crash in some game and the xbox won't boot up again until it's wiped.

good loving luck explaining this to m$ tech support

You probably aren't feeding it enough Doritos through the optical drive

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

Anyone with opinions on Life is Strange? My fiancé doesn’t play games but she and I were browsing the store and she thought it looked interesting.

I played through it a couple of months ago after picking it up the complete season on sale for like AU$6 and really enjoyed it, but I probably wouldn't pay much more than I did for it since there's not much gameplay and the graphics look outdated.

Other than that, the characters are great and the storyline is interesting with multiple endings and plot twists (make sure to avoid spoilers!). Like Telltale games you get a report card on how your choices stacked up against other players at the end of each episode too which is neat.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Lol this is the worst thread

The black baby Goku effect in action

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

James Woods Fan posted:

Got the Hot Wheels DLC for Horizon 3 and I decided to delve into Killer Instinct's Shadow War. Really enjoying both.

Yeah the Hot Wheels DLC is really fun, much better than Blizzard Mountain's cancerous weather effects.

Also the FH3 goon car club is GRRC incase you were wondering.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I dunno that's definitely a risk someone would be taking. But in a world full of actual disgusting scams that prey on the poor, this doesn't seem offensive at all, even if a theoretical price drop is a thing. Everything about it seems fair enough.

Phil Spencer is making all the right moves and doesn't seem to let the corporate suits push him around like Don Mattrick probably did (and look how that turned out). He probably told them to shove their profiteering if they want the Xbox division to succeed next gen.

Same goes for the Xbox adaptive controller: https://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-new-xbox-adaptive-controller-puts-disabled-players-back-in-the-game/ which is so niche that they could've gouged it but chose to keep it at $99.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

Look at that garbage

I'd been thinking of getting Prison Architect for awhile now when it goes on sale, so it's a good month for me. But yeah this month is getting a lot of hate lol.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Yikes at people defending this and thinking it's a great deal that works out in their favor. There's always fine print and catch 22 to this that is hidden away. 2 year contracts with phones are always predatory and just a lease/loan on the phone, this is not going to be any different.

Or you know, maybe they just want more people in the Xbox ecosystem and have provided a way to do so safely for those with good credit but not much cash on hand? :shrug:

You're acting like Microsoft are some exploitative two-bit rental operation hiding 30% interest in the fine print.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

univbee posted:

That is literally how they pitched the Xbox One in 2013.

Yep and Sony trounced them because of it, which is why since then they've been making amends, otherwise they'd lose next gen too before it even starts.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Glenn Quebec posted:

If you are in dire financial straits, but still want to enjoy a Microsoft Xbonx, well, now you have an option. I think that poor people ought to be able to play an Xbonx, don't you?

It looks like it's run through Dell Preferred Account which requires a credit check to apply for. So presumably if you're in dire financial straits then maybe you won't be approved.

But yeah, if you run over 24 months then you'll get annihilated by interest. They have the fine print here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/b/xboxallaccess

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Guys just remember that no price is too high for :worship: The World's Most Powerful Console (tm) :worship:

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Zat posted:

The $2 for 2 months of Game Pass offer expires after today, so it's time to grab it if you haven't.

I think it requires that you don't have a current subscription but you can have subbed previously.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/xbox-game-pass/cfq7ttc0k6l8/0001

Thanks for the reminder. Looking forward to playing through Quantum Break finally and finishing ONRUSH, which I played when it had a free weekend a few weeks ago.

And of course, FH4 for 29 days. :D

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

bigis posted:

Well a new controller is like AUD $55 but I guess you’re right. It seems like a lot of money to get headphones working. :argh:

I have the same old controller, it sucks lol. I haven't had any drift issues but the grip on the stick has worn down to virtually nothing since it's like 5 years old now so I'm probably due for a new one anyway.

Fortunately my speakers have an extendable input thing that I can plug my headphones into.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

That would be an appetizer, an entree is the main course. What the gently caress is wrong with this thread

Entrée comes from “entrée de table” (Entrance to the table) i.e. the first meal. What the gently caress is wrong with America

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

I just finished Quantum Break. It was pretty cool and well worth a run through if you have Game Pass.

Seems a bit steep what they're charging for it otherwise, because I managed to 100% it in under 10 hours.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

RDR was one of my fav games ever and I still play GTA online, so it's a no brainer for me, but I'm still a bit worried about it. Not sure about the main character and the amount of micro managing they're teasing looks tedious. And there's no way they'll be able to add new content every other month to online like they do with GTA due to the time period.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I really just want GTA 6.

I played the poo poo out of San Andreas Multiplayer mod (SA:MP) on the goon server but never got into GTA online because of the endless load screens.

Personally I'm hoping they make Bully 2 next.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hey great this worked out real well for rare and lionhead

Phil Spencer is a smart man with a lot of clout so I can't see him letting Microsoft butcher Obsidian like they did to Rare. I'm just glad EA didn't get their scummy hands on them.

After this gen's comparative lack of exclusives, with these acquisitions MS are shaping up to have a much better exclusive lineup come Xbox One 2 The 4th Box.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Over There posted:

I haven't read the thread before. What happened to make this the worst thread over the Switch thread?

The worst thread title directly correlates to the arrival of one Xbox Ambassador who endlessly commented on the brain functionality of other posters.

Since he doesn't post here anymore it's actually p chill and not worthy of the title anymore imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Is everybody excited for the new gamerscore-based crypto coin? :v: https://voncoin.club

quote:

Von Coin gives you the chance to ‘Reclaim What’s Yours’. Game publishers, eSports stars and uninterested celebrities are all rewarded for the time gamers put into their games but why aren’t you? By getting brands and publishers to sponsor auctions within the Von Coin app with exclusive limited edition products, we give them the chance to do just that.

The Von Coin app is a blockchain based app that gives Xbox One users the power to mine crypto-coins from their TrueAchievements to spend on these auctions.

You basically get allocated these Von Coins based on your TA score (which is a figure based off your gamerscore) and can use them in sponsored auctions.

More details:

quote:

Hi guys - I run Von Bismark Labs, who will be launching the Von Coin app. Just to go through some of your comments/ queries above.

- We have spoken to people at Xbox about this initiative and have their blessing.
- The Von Coins will be ethereum based utility tokens, but will not be tradeable for any fiat currencies. So their only value will be what you can exchange them for on the Von Coin platform. The private beta will not be attached to the coins. The coins will be issued in the public beta in the new year, but all of your accrued coins in the app will be exchanged for the real coins in the public beta.
- From that point you will be able to send and receive coins with friends as you choose.
- You will be able to spend these coins in auctions on the Von Coin app.
- We will never 'sucker' you in to spending money on something. The only thing you need to do to earn coins is get TA verified achievements.
- The products you will bid for with your Von Coins will be provided by sponsors. Our pitch to sponsors is simple - we have a bunch of committed gamers who we can prove love playing video games. Why not build awareness of your product/ game/ app by providing this audience with real products they value. In return you get to promote your new release to the audience.
- We want to create a model that works for both ends. You the gamer get rewarded for your time and attention and the sponsors get the attention they want from you.
- To make sure that people don't get crazy numbers of TA Score and coins when games come out there is a 14 day delay on your locked in score. So 14 days after you do the achievement we pull the balanced out TA score and exchange that for Von Coins. The reason we teamed up with Rich and the guys and TA is they are much smarter than us when it comes to achievements, so we've been working closely with them to build a system that is fair and consistent for the issuing of coins.

Hopefully that answers some of your questions. If you have any more i'll be here to talk!

Eoghan - Von Bismark Labs

Will be interesting to see if it takes off and/or turns out to be a crypto scam. TrueAchievement is a legit good website for what it's worth.

Edit: full thread: https://www.trueachievements.com/n34773/earn-rewards-for-unlocking-achievements-with-the-von-coin

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Oct 13, 2018