Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Can't wait for the confused consumers who don't understand why the smaller one costs more. Obviously the bigger one is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you put it in the quick start mode it will stay on when you turn it off and download things. This mode does have some drawbacks where some things might go haywire after a while and you have to do a full shutdown and then turn it back on. I've also had it happen a couple times where it didn't want to download any games and would constantly pop up saying "installation stopped." I ended up having to delete all my saves and redownload them from the cloud. That was a bit weird and I don't know why that was the solution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Just purchased a new 4K TV along with an XBox One S. I'm a very casual gamer (mostly non graphic intensive Blizzard / Steam games), and purchased the XBox primarily as a 4K player.

What are some games that can show off what the system is capable of? I'm thinking Skyrim and Doom?

No games, the one S doesn't play games at 4K.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The Xbonx is supposedly going to render normal games at 1080p. The image doesn't change between 720p and 1080p on the Xbone because it's not rendering at 1080p. It is probably rendering at 720p and then upscales to 1080, it isn't gaining any new information. From what their presentation sounded like, The Xbonx can increase the resolution of normal xbone games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why is Dolby Vision the winner when HDR10 is already on all the devices? Isn't that why Bluray won? It was on the PS3 and thus was in everyone's home already?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

So it literally doesn't matter?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You can yell into your headset, and I think there's a Nyko microphone dearie you can get for your controller if you don't have a Kinect.

The mic should totally be built in to new controllers.

Yeah that's great. Now not only do I hear everything that's going on in some guy's living room, but he's holding the controller in his lap so now I also hear every time he farts or scratches his nuts.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why couldn't they just stay on tinder? How do they even find me? I rarely ever even use my xbox.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I got Ryse for free and it was fun for about 30 minutes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If you want to play Forza, get it on PC in a couple months. You have a high end gaming PC, and PS4, and it sounds like maybe you have a Switch, you don't need an xbox. Xbox has nothing to offer you. Just get a PS4 Pro.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

xboxox would not exist if they didn't care about specs. That's all it's good for. But yeah it isn't good enough.

Xbonx exists because everyone is all up ons the 4K. Consumers want 4K, so Microsoft told the xbox division to make an xbox that can technically play a 4K game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Have fun, and try not to let the Grima Worm-Tongues here bother you too much. Watch out! If you clap back they will accuse you of having a meltdown.

If you stop having meltdowns, people will stop complimenting your meltdowns.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did you perhaps play disc versions?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You're going to be really disappointed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is anyone (besides Chris Christie) being lured over from PS4? People buying the Xbonx probably already have a bone and just want the new one. They will buy games on xbone, play them, then continue playing them on xbonx when it comes out and they download their cloud saves.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Maybe a year ago but there's virtually no PC game that I can't do 4k/at least close to ultra/60+fps with a 1080ti/i7700k.

I'm really struggling for reasons to keep my pre-order, beyond "I want to try it out because I used to love Xbox."

Seeing that the few true wireless headsets are ugly af and $300+ Cdn may be the final straw.

If you have a gaming PC, and you don't care about playing games in your living room, cancel your preorder. As much as I love the concept Microsoft is going for with xbox, I can't in good conscience buy an xbonx. Every game on the xbonx will either be available in the windows store on PC and be crossplay, or it's a multi-platform and will be on steam or origin or whatever. There's no reason to buy an xbonx unless you have nothing to play games on already and you don't want a playstation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I always wanted a zune. They looked so cool.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
If Xbone gets OG Xbox games before the Switch gets virtual console, I'm gonna laugh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

There's been a lot of pushback to the idea of having to pay yet again for VC games on Switch, even though Nintendo never suggested they were going to do it (but have a limited infrastructure on their backend to validate prior ownership in several cases). The waters are also murky since hero-of-consumer-rights Microsoft is letting people pay previous-gen titles for free if they own them in any form.

There's a really weird subset of people who think it is ok to charge again for a license someone already owns. You bring up the fact that digitally owning a 360 game automatically gives you access to it on xbone if it is BC, and for some reason they are worried about Nintendo's profits and say it isn't fair for Nintendo to give people access to games they already bought.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What is the scorpio edition? It appears that one is green tinted or something?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't understand why people want that. The original xbox controller was terrible. I'm surprised Microsoft was able to get it right with the 360 controller.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Did they at least make the internals good?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Why in the world would anyone be excited about another controller from the people who made this creaky squeaking rear end poo poo that still uses AA batteries

Yeah, why would I ever want to quickly swap out my batteries and throw the old ones on the charger when I could instead find some place to plug it in?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Of all the things to defend... sticking AA batteries into a game controller in tyool 2017 :laffo:

Yeah, it's really nice. I have several devices that use AA batteries so when one of them dies, I can grab some from another device if I don't have any other charged up yet.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I have many devices that don't die because they don't use AA batteries.

Oh, lithium ion batteries never lose charge now? I've changed my entire outlook.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Awesome! posted:

if you only get a few hours out of a ds4 charge your battery is dead

This can't be true. I was just promised that the DS4 never dies.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What the hell are you guys doing to your controllers? I just twisted my xbone, switch pro, and steam controllers and none of them creak.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Ever notice how when you grab your lovely xbox controller, sometimes your hand cuts it in half for no reason? Such garbage.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would think they kind of have to do that for the X. They could include a second disc with the retail release, which would increase the cost and confuse people with a bone. Or they could just have bonx owners download more things. And if you are buying an xbonx, are you seriously going to only play it offline? I'm sure it works just fine once you download the data, so who the hell has a 4K TV, a 4K console and no wifi?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

Number of American homes which can't even get 3mbps internet: 4.9 million

Number of American homes which can't get 25mbps internet: 10.6 million

Number of American homes which only have one broadband ISP (makes it very likely they have strict monthly download limits with no "unlimited" option): 40 million (not counting the 10.6 million mentioned before).

If every game you buy is going to have a mandatory 60 gig download even with a retail disc (and this is already the case without 4K assets for Halo 5 and Forza 7 at least, possibly other games too) that's going to be a problem with ISP's still having pretty low monthly limits for a lot of people.

This is a very weird gen even without the 4K mid-gen upgrades, since there are several million who are largely cut off from it due to factors out of their control that have nothing to do with things like the console's cost.

That's nice and all, but downloading 60GB isn't a big deal for me, and not a big deal for any of my friends. If it's possible for that to not be a big deal for me, then it is possible for anyone. People in these bad situations where they don't have much bandwidth, or have download caps need to complain to their ISPs. Why is it they have trouble giving their customers more speed and data? In most cases it's total bullshit so they don't have to spend money to improve their infrastructure. The US government has even given money to ISPs over the years to improve their service and they don't do anything. This isn't an Xbox problem, it's an ISP problem. ISPs need to realize that the future of the internet is people downloading lots of data.

Games are getting bigger, and so are streaming movies and TV shows. Pretending they can't offer more than 15mbs won't cut it. Unfortunately people are going to get mad at Microsoft instead of their internet provider.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Max22 posted:

FYGMbps

Way to read the entirely wrong message from that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

No that's exactly what you're saying. It's very much not possible to download that much data for a large amount of people. I know some, it's not a fun time. They're trying to change it, but nothing's changed so far.

I suppose you could argue that with that small snippet of my entire post taken out of context. Read the rest of my post and you should understand what my point was. If you don't, I'll reiterate it: Downloading a lot of data these days isn't a big deal. And if it is a big deal, there is a problem with that ISP. There's no reason to be bandwidth or data limited. Any ISP who says that is lying to you. Aside from very rural areas where ISPs refuse to run lines despite being paid to do so by the government, there's no reason for anyone in an area with a water and sewer system to have subpar internet. Downloading a new major game that's 60GB isn't new, and it isn't a lot. That's the norm and it will only be getting bigger. If people aren't able to download that much, they need to complain to their ISP and ask them why they haven't caught up to the rest of the civilized world. I wasn't bragging about my big American internet, I was stating that it is not normal to worry about hitting a data cap on home internet. I don't even have good internet, it's only 25Mb/s at best. I used to get almost 100Mb/s when I lived in San Antonio.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

univbee posted:

I agree with everything you've written here except the suggestion that complaining to your ISP is likely to change a goddamn thing other than the blood pressure of the punching bag the ISP hired for you to take out your aggression on.

They get away with it because a vast majority of their customer base is old people who use all their services. My dad rents a bunch of cable boxes, of which only half see any use. He uses the ondemand features and records onto the two DVRs he rents. He doesn't have any kind of streaming media accounts. He stays within their ecosystem, and he's the ideal customer. I don't watch cable TV, I get all my media from streaming media or downloading. All of my data comes from outside their network, so they probably hate me. As more and more people start dropping cable and treating their ISP as a service provider, instead of a media provider, they will start demanding better service. It will take a while, but cable companies have survived by pissing off a minority of their customers while most just pay the bill each month and watch the history channel or whatever Real Housewives of City Name show. Eventually those people will be outnumbered by people who just want internet and the cable companies will have to change.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Lol Jesus Christ.

"What about the people who don't have good internet and can't download lots of things?"

"They should complain to their ISP, low bandwidth isn't acceptable."

"Actually, most people have really fast internet, so no one has problems with low bandwidth. I don't know why you are bringing up bad internet speeds."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

You actually posted some conspiracy theory poo poo about how nothing's been improved in years and that an FCC program that ended in 2000 is still going though, bro.

It's not a conspiracy theory when ISPs themselves make statements saying it's unfair that some people download a lot and they start testing low data caps in some markets.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

You claimed that they're getting money to expand in rural areas and then refusing to expand in rural areas. That was a thing that happened in the 90s and specifically was because of the way the rules were written, building cell towers counted as building broadband service under the very low standards for broadband of the time.

You claimed, "Why is it they have trouble giving their customers more speed and data? In most cases it's total bullshit so they don't have to spend money to improve their infrastructure. The US government has even given money to ISPs over the years to improve their service and they don't do anything. ". This isn't true, the services have improved across the board, and even bandwidth caps in the places that have them have been raised. The main things that stagnate are places where the only service is DSL, because DSL service is effectively incapable of being improved - there's a fixed relationship between distance to the central office and maximum possible speed on the line which means DSL providers rarely meet promised speeds and have next to no hope of improving actual speeds.

Also what do you even mean by "testing low data caps in some markets" when all of those markets have straight up had low data caps for 15+ years - that's not a loving test anymore bro.

I never said they were still receiving money. And just a couple years ago Time Warner was announcing test areas that would have 200 and 300GB data caps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm against forcing animals to fight

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The new UI isn't complete poo poo, so maybe Microsoft is getting it together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What the hell are you people doing on your PCs? I have Geforce experience installed but it only runs when I tell it to so I can check if there's a driver update. I never get sucked out of my games for anything and I have both xbox and chrome notifications enabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is the crimson skies OG xbox game good? Of the list of games, I was always kind of interested in seeing how Crimson Skies was, but never had an xbox. Also, is Fuzion Frenzy good?