Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are they finally just making Black Flag but without the Assassin stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

"We're going to make Black Flag without the Assassin's Creed stuff!"

:unsmith:

"It's 5v5 multiplayer!"

:smith:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

When I filled out that survey and said I wanted more of the pirate stuff from Black Flag, I didn't mean "turn it into a crappy PvP multiplayer game."

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Beyond Good & Evil 2!

:getin:

But it's a prequel with none of the characters you loved!

:frog:

Also it's probably going to be an open-world multiplayer-focused game like Wildlands because gently caress everything you love!

:frogout:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like how Assassin's Creed took a year off and then came back to lean into everything that's been lovely about the series for the past few entries. Nice work there, Ubi.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh my god this is everything I don't want in an assassination game, holy poo poo, not everything needs to be a loot-driven action RPG with crafting gently caress me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

That sounds better than an AssCreed game tbh

I admit that if someone told me they were making an open-world action-RPG in ancient Egypt I'd be like "cool, that seems rad" but because it's Assassin's Creed and Ubisoft I know it's going to be horrid

But like when I play an assassination game the last thing I want is to fail to assassinate a target because I haven't crafted a high-level assassin blade

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Have they actually officially said it's multiplayer? I know he vaguely mentioned an online beta or something but is there a chance that could just be some extra mode or some poo poo?

Because turning BG&E into a full on multiplayer game would be the most idiotic decision in videogames.

They said something about doing everything "with your friends"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Things I don't want in an assassination game:
  • Random loot
  • Leveled loot (that is random)
  • Getting stonewalled by enemies 4 levels higher than me
  • Needing to gain levels in the first place
  • Not being able to assassinate a target no matter how good my approach is because my assassin blade isn't high-level enough
I'd say "at least Hitman is there for me" but, well...

exquisite tea posted:

I'm beginning to think some of you just reflexively hate all games. The Ubisoft conference was cool.

They showed some good stuff, but I think the skepticism re: BG&E2 is entirely rational (especially because it's a prequel), and the new Assassin's Creed looks godawful I think.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bessantj posted:

I haven't played the last few AssCreed games so can someone tell me after watching the gameplay footage how is it radically different to other AC games as promised in the Ubisoft presentation?

It has Borderlands loot, crafting, and puts even more importance on player level vs. enemy level

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Why does Mario sometimes run like Naruto in the Rabbids game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I should point out that, aside from the Rabbids being weird-looking, the Mario + Rabbids game actually looks like it could be pretty fun. Mario makes for really fun RPGs so why not a tactics-RPG?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bessantj posted:

Ah. Is it still based on some dude reliving his past lives?

For the past several games it has instead been about someone else reliving some dude's past lives because a Templar front is turning them into entertainment or something?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Bones posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with making another game in the x-com genre but giving Mario a laser gun is maybe the most uncreative approach you can possibly take to do that, which I think is a shame. Like there's more interesting things you could do with the concept and it looks like it's taking a pretty bland approach.

I think the contrast with Super Mario RPG is really interesting here. If I remember correctly, Square actually wanted Mario to have a sword and shield in SMRPG and eventually Nintendo (and fan reactions) convinced them to stick to weapons that are more true to Mario (so, jumping, hammers, and shells). In the end what we got was an RPG that felt really true to the Mario we already knew, and it owns.

I'm not really sure why they couldn't have had Mario throw fireballs instead of shooting a laser gun, y'know? Basically the same poo poo but going off of something that's already part of who Mario is. Make shells work like grenades, I guess, you lob them and they bounce around instead of exploding, that kind of thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

I think it's a pretty creative approach since before an hour ago absolutely nobody on earth was expecting Mario X-Com.

The thing is that Mario X-Com? Cool idea. I'm into that. There's just not really a reason they couldn't have kept it more in line with the things Mario does instead of just slapping a laser cannon on his arm and calling it a day. That's what's uncreative, I think--"it's Mario but he has a laser gun" is less interesting to me than finding a way to take classic Mario abilities like shells, hammers, jumping, etc. and working that into Mario X-Com.

Super Mario RPG back on the SNES faced a similar decision--does Mario use a sword, shield, and magic, or does Mario use classic Mario things like jumping, shells, and hammers?--and there was actually a pretty heated debate between Nintendo and Square on it before they finally settled on sticking to classic Mario stuff, and I think we got a more interesting, more unique RPG as a result.

It still looks fun, though, and definitely distinct, gameplay-wise, from X-Com. I just think sticking closer to classic Mario stuff might have led them in other interesting directions, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ZZZorcerer posted:

Random/Levelled weapons suck. Make different weapons that aren't just small differences in numbered stats.

They apparently have eight melee weapon types, which is a pretty nice variety. I just don't see why they need leveled variants with random stats. Just give me the eight weapons and I'm happy, I don't need to find 100 different spears with random attack power.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

lol, i haven't played 2 but that sounded like the neatest part about them doing a sequel

did it actually pan out to be interesting?

It was really just an excuse to have the sequel take place on Earth and starring the same "Commander" you played in the first rebooted XCOM. But I thought it was a neat little twist, that XCOM was actually a simulation you were being forced to run through by the aliens so they could study human combat tactics, and they conquered Earth as a result. In XCOM 2, you're playing more like a resistance role, so everywhere you go, the aliens are already established and have security systems and stuff set up. I liked it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snuffman posted:

Assassins Creed has had skill points, levelled equipment and levelled enemies for the last 2 games.

Only the random equipment is new.

Do I like those things? Not really. I especially dislike the levelled enemies as a lazy way of keeping the game world "open" but skill blocking it off.

...but more 'Sassy Creed? I'm down.

My argument is, well, the leveled equipment and leveled enemies in the past two games were not a good inclusion, and what they're doing in this is leaning into those, to the point of having a much higher level cap (and therefore room for having much bigger level differentials between the player and enemies).

Syndicate was a pretty decent AssCreed game, all told, but I don't think the leveling, skill trees, and equipment added anything to it at all. They were just distractions from the actual fun parts. I fully expect Origins to be the same, only those distractions are even bigger and more important to pay attention to.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lelandjs posted:

I knew literally nothing about Beyond Good and Evil so all throughout that trailer all I could think was "gently caress is this poo poo?"

After the title was revealed I realized that the game everyone has been waiting for is Mass Effect with even more furry poo poo and then I laughed

Beyond Good & Evil is nothing like Mass Effect, though (and, to be fair, this trailer was kind of a tonal shift away from Beyond Good & Evil)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lelandjs posted:

I was mostly being sarcastic, but as someone that has not played the original that trailer did nothing to make me interested in the game at all. It did the opposite, actually. That chav monkey legit looks like one of the worst videogame characters ever.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure he isn't in the original, because this one's a prequel. The first BG&E is more French than anything.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

I'm going to a concert tonight so Sony better confirm:

Bloodborne 2
Demons Souls HD for Ps4Pro
And that's it. They win just with that.

Could we instead trade Bloodborne 2 for a game in a new setting that evolves Bloodborne's style of gameplay? I don't really want to go back to the Bloodborne setting (in general, I think the Souls games would have been better off with a new world in each game, too) but I do want another game that plays like Bloodborne.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

We're not expecting anything major from Nintendo's event today, right? I think I read that they're focusing on what they're releasing this year, which probably means we aren't going to see a ton of new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Suspicious Cook posted:

I'm expecting at least one big surprise at the end. Nintendo usually does that.

Although they don't do that just often enough to disappoint me every time. I guess we'll find out in two hours.

Kashuno posted:

I think they must have something big left for their show to loan Miyamoto to Ubisoft for Mario/Rabbids

I dare not hope for Metroid

(Actually I really shouldn't, I've had a real bad monkey's paw record lately)

• Locked thread