Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what's gonna happen?
basically nothing (token management shuffles)
he goes 'on leave'
he finds a replacement then goes later this year
he quits and plays harry in the new third rock remake
he quits and becomes transportation secretary
gas thread, ban op
View Results

• Locked thread
qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JewKiller 3000 posted:

uber has a dual share class structure which gives travis majority voting control, like zuck at fb. he could replace the whole board if he wanted to, right? so how are they gonna get rid of him unless he wants to go? buy him out?

he's going to go "on sabbatical" which means he can still be an officer of the company but not involved in the day to day

the larger question is once uber gets rid of all the toxic cokebro garbage they're still left with a business model with a -40% margin so what are they going to do about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

last startup I worked at there was always a keg and when they threw parties they just moved all the leftover booze into the kitchen

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GameCube posted:

and wtf was the right way to interpret his comment???

"sexist shithead" is the correct interpretation

to understand why vcs are so horrible you need to understand that most of their money comes from people even worse than they are, you need to be an awful toxic dude to be able to relate to the lovely ancient billionaires who fund the vc firms in the first place

the correct response would be to replace him with a woman but to the best of my knowledge there's exactly one woman partner at a valley vc firm and IIRC she works at kleiner perkins

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eschaton posted:

I cannot believe this idiot hellfucker is both my age and wealthier than I am

but hey, I actually built poo poo, and I'm certainly coming out ahead karmically

(and when his poo poo finally goes down in flames and RICO I'll be ahead financially too)

nah I guarantee you dude has a caymans account and a looper floor safe full of cash & precious metals

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I literally had people ask me "why are you leaving? free food in 45 minutes!"

it's either young single dudes or old married dudes who hate their families who love to spend time at the office

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there was some horrible verge article about how the author had every single meal delivered or went out to eat and I'm just thinking how the gently caress do you afford that on a freelance writer's gig? I'm a deece figgies computer toucher and I feel bad if I'm spending more than $150/week on food

e: found it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FACT: it was literally impossible to get pizza delivered in los angeles before the app economy

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess those investors are hoping for renewed interest so they can flip some of their shares, like a pre-ipo dead cat bouce

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mods change thread name to appreciation station

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they're doing all this because they've almost burned through another few bil in vc and the bonds they issues and will need more money pretty soon and since it takes like a year to put together an ipo that means either more investor money or more debt so they're polishing up for more investor storytime

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bros are super mad their bro king is gone

quote:

Uber employees are circulating a petition asking the board to allow Travis Kalanick to stay at the company, according to an email Recode obtained.

“Nobody is perfect, but I fundamentally believe he can evolve into the leader Uber needs today and that he’s critical to its future success,” the email reads. “I want the Board to hear from Uber employees that it’s made the wrong decision in pressuring Travis to leave and that he should be reinstated in an operational role.”

In the day after Kalanick resigned due to pressure from five major shareholders, current employees have both publicly and internally expressed their discontent with the board as well as the media for painting Kalanick in a bad light.

The email, which is being passed around, directs people to a link to what appears to be an internal Uber site, asking staffers to show their support for Kalanick: “My ask is simple: one click (and an optional note) to express your support for Travis’ return. The form is totally anonymous. I will deliver the results to the Board.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

remember that vc who it turned out was a super gross serial sexual predator? it's been known for years

quote:

Years before the venture investor Justin Caldbeck made unwanted advances toward the female founders who just came forward about the behavior, he made the CEO of Stitch Fix feel uncomfortable enough that she requested his removal as his firm’s observer to her board of directors, according to multiple sources.

The CEO, Katrina Lake — who is now one of the most prominent female entrepreneurs in the tech industry as head of the popular e-commerce platform Stitch Fix — complained to Caldbeck’s then-employer, Lightspeed Venture Partners. The venture firm then removed Caldbeck from his role, said sources.

Caldbeck had led an investment in Stitch Fix on behalf of Lightspeed in early 2013, according to reports. He left Lightspeed in 2014 to co-found Binary Capital.

He has since resigned from that firm after the news broke of the allegations of sexual harassment. Caldbeck said, “to say I am sorry about my behavior is a categorical understatement,” and apologized to the women he made feel uncomfortable. That was a turnabout, since he initially denied that he had behaved unprofessionally.

On Tuesday, Lightspeed issued a statement referencing the controversy involving Stitch Fix, and said the firm “should have done more.” But it did not identify Lake or the company by name. The Information and Axios previously reported that a woman leading a Lightspeed portfolio company had also complained about Caldbeck.

While multiple sources confirmed that Lake made that complaint to Lightspeed about Caldbeck, Recode does not have more details. Stitch Fix and Lake, as well as Lightspeed, declined to comment.

After he left Lightspeed and the board of Stitch Fix, according to reports, Caldbeck continued his inappropriate behavior toward women entrepreneurs.

That includes an incident in 2015, reported by The Information, in which Caldbeck sent unwelcome text messages to another female entrepreneur to meet up late at night. He later allegedly physically grabbed yet another woman seeking an investment during a meeting.

Unfortunately, the alleged treatment of these women and also Lake by Caldbeck is not uncommon, as evidenced by the recent investigations at Uber over similar issues.

Lake has certainly proven her mettle as an entrepreneur, regardless of gender. She has built Stitch Fix into a giant online retailer with sales of $730 million, as of last year. The startup is a candidate to go public as soon as this year, according to many familiar with its business.

It’s certainly one of the more exciting startups out there in retail. Stitch Fix is a personalized styling service that sends its customers — it sells to both men and women — a regular box of clothing and accessories that can be returned. It uses an algorithm, along with stylists, to determine what to provide shoppers.

What is clear is that Lake is one of the highest-profile women in the tech industry to date to have made a complaint about Caldbeck’s behavior.

In the original Information story, six women told their stories of unwanted advances and, in one instance, of groping involving Caldbeck. Three of them — Niniane Wang, who has served as CTO of Minted and is the founder of Evertoon, as well as Susan Ho and Leiti Hsu, co-founders of the startup Journy — went on the record with their stories.

We also reached out to Caldbeck for comment, but have not heard back.
reminder that 3 women had to go on the record to the press before anyone did anything about it

qirex fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 27, 2017

• Locked thread