Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSHx-9Cg13t06FS9TDBWypA
These are usually online (done processing) around 6pm central time. Hiatus probably ending soon, at which time weekly uploads should return!

This game is packed full of content. It's going to be a wild ride to begin again. From scratch, it took me around 250 hours to 100% the game, and this was before any DLC was released. I expect it will be a bit easier the second time around!

Some might be dismissive of it due to its M rating or otherwise silly toilet humor, but don't be so quick. The strange atmosphere belies its exceedingly fun and replay-able gameplay. A roguelike game, you pick a character and blast off, seeing how far you can go before you die or succeed. The objectives remain largely the same, but by the end of the run no two games are alike.

You start out with just ol' Isaac to choose from, but as you progress and kill your "mother" repeatedly (don't even get me started on the lore), you unlock characters, items, alternate floors, etc.
Each character has a unique set of starting HP and stats, but items are the biggest factor that will directly change your run. From abominable to carry-you-all-the-way, you just have to chalk it up to RNG. Eventually some nice dice items are unlocked to specifically say heck off to RNG, but that's a little ways down.
Not to be omitted are the little things; coins, bombs, keys, and the like. These are pretty self-explanatory; you can buy things in shop rooms. Keys open those shops. Other objects include pills, tarot cards, trinkets, all of which are extremely varied and best discussed in situ.

With the addition of the DLC, there is a new "Greed mode" game mode, which puts you in a gauntlet-type environment in which you have to fight enemies to earn money. This money can be spent in a huge, permanently-restocking store, so you can arm yourself against the unique final boss of that game mode! Personally, I despise Greed Mode, but I'll have to complete it on this brand new file.
There are also quite a few challenges that can be completed for unlocks; with those, you are given a certain character and starting items as well as some restrictions, and have to reach an arbitrary point to complete the challenge. To unlock a challenge in the first place, you typically need to unlock the starting items and destination that it goes to.

Mods I'm using:
External Item Descriptions: Displays item/trinket information on-screen
Disable Giantbook Animations: Removes annoying book/heart/card usage pop-up graphics
Holy Mantle Health Indicator: HUD display for the Holy Mantle item and Wooden Cross trinket
Eye_Sakk's Character Portraits: Cute redrawn art for the character select menu
AB+ sprite overhaul: Assorted graphical tweaks for enemies and boss portraits

Episodes:
66—Byesaac
One run slowly descends into a sad death, while the next one snowballs out of control into a classic Chaos-fueled guppy dream. Isaac Greedier done!
65—Updated
Trying to earn something with the strangely cursed Apollyon, we instead respawn as Dark Judas and go to the Lamb, nothing more.
64—Falling Into Place
After a bit of fooling around, Lazarus successfully accomplishes a trifecta of Boss Rush, Hush, and Delirium to earn the Compound Fracture!
63—Perseverance
Lilith to Delirium! After one silly hiccup at 18:39, the following run slowly achieves greatness, unlocking Euthanasia.
62—Farewell
Well. These final two completion bits were more of a bother than I expected. No more Keeper.
61—Pestilence
Apollyon stars in his first run outside of Greed mode, sucking up useless items and slowly making way for some cool trinket unlocks.
60—Thief
Mom's Knife illegally obtained from a devil deal. Enough said. Keeper Greedier mode complete!
59—Sustenance
The Keeper actually has an alright time in Greed mode since there are coins scattered about everywhere. Doesn't stop me from at least dying once though.
58—Pong!
This oddly redundant challenge reveals an extremely cool synergy with Libra, and ultimately unlocks for us a cool Keeper-related item, Greed's Gullet.
57—OverachieverOP's Choice
7 for 1 combo! Doing the most amount of things possible in any single run without victory lap exploitation, here's Keeper's tour de force.
56—Sacrifice
1:26:14 Casually grabbing a 2 heart devil deal with the Keeper. That's about all the value you can really expect out of this video.
55—Godhead
For completing the Lost's entire postage note on Hard difficulty, it's finally here. Thank you, early steam sale.
54—Lure
A Lost run, you say? None of that here. Just a Judas run through and through, fully intentional, to unlock the Eye of Belial.
53—Paradise Lost
An honest attempt followed by a standard breaking Greed run shows off the fragility of the Lost and the horror of the double cage.
52—Glass Cannon
An example of how the Lost is no weaker than any average character at a standard run. MAYBE a bit of a unique case.
51—DeterminationOP's Choice
In which we use Isaac's inherent game-breaking capabilities to force some incredible shenanigans. The missing poster is found in a most particular fashion, and the Lost is *finally* unlocked!
50—He's Done It..?
Missing poster found! Missing poster squandered. Still, Isaac's postage note is fully fleshed out now.
49—Thorough
Still no missing poster, but, Eden to Delirium complete!
48—Mama Mia!
Still no Missing Poster. Instead, Lazarus stumbles all the way to Mega Satan, doing not one extra thing along the way.
47—SupercalifragilisticexpialidociousOP's Choice
Enjoy this special podcast-length episode, in which there are four complete runs. A novel, valuable, and morally dubious tactic to allow Victory laps to count as achievements is demonstrated at its fullest extent. Note: Now obsolete, sadly.
46—Quest
Step one on the path to find a Missing Poster and kill myself productively. So far no luck, but we fill out a good chunk of Cain's postage note with this fantastically powerful build.
45—Replacement
A very lucky Magic Mushroom allows an already-powerful run to become survivable, escalating into an explosive fun fest to blast Ultra Greedier to pieces!
44—Regrets
If you like watching squandered Lilith runs, this is your jam.
43—Incision
Cain's innate luck brings us out of the death coil for now, with mom's knife, ipecac, and assorted other goodies to tear through Ultra Greedier.
42—Chaotic Good
Carried by Magic Mush and later Chaos, Apollyon successfully clears the infamous Greedier mode for our first Ultra Greedier kill.
41—Epic Fail
A literal epic fail. Epic Fetus was a mistake.
40—Recovery
With the help of some eyeball tears, lump of coal, and most importantly some Sprinklers, we finally kill Ultra Greed with Apollyon for... the Brown Nugget!
39—Choke
A reel of only failures and despair. Check out the following video if success is what you're looking for.
38—Collar
A wholly undeserved Greed win with Lazarus, boldly showcasing Tech 2 and Maw of the Void. No fewer than TWO "strategic respawns" with Guppy's Collar!
37—Trifecta
The Host, Slow Roll, and It's In the Cards are all cleared here! These unlock Tech .5, Swallowed Penny, and SMB Super Fan, respectively.
36—DeStinky
Greed runs come and go so fast. Turbulence aside, Cain successfully kills Ultra Greed to unlock us an Evil Eye.
35—Speed!
Two challenges are taken on, the infamous Speed! and a more relaxing Pride Day, earning the Get out of Jail Free card and the D8, respectively.
34—Mystery Gift
Starting off with Cain, we immediately find Judas' Shadow and proceed to clear greed mode as Judas instead!
33—Ninety Tear Wonder
The Blue Bomber challenge starts off normally and escalates thanks to Chaos into a fantastic sad bombs bonanza.
32—Threshold
Eve is a bit better with her newly manifested built-in razor blade. Once again we set a new record for the most powerful greed mode run on this save game!
31—Brazen
Surmounting a horrid Eden start, we manage to donate a decent dallop of coins to the Greed machine, despite my mismanagement.
30—Three Fiddy
A Lilith attempt that ends in shameful failure followed by a Lilith attempt that ends in total splendor. The duality of Greed mode.
29—Butter Knife
A streak is broken but a new one grows in even stronger. Isaac ravages Ultra Greed in our most powerful greed mode run yet!
28—Yummy
Magdalene is another character who does disproportionately better in Greed Mode, thanks to both her extra HP and the Yum Heart.
27—Truncated
A few shots at clearing Greed Mode with ???, the blue baby. Finally something sticks and we manage to donate another 50 coins!
26—Ten Percent
Samson makes greed mode... actually fun? Pretty lucky stuff so far. Lusty Blood get, and 100 coins in the greed machine!
25—Paternal
Two challenges are done here; first, High Brow, a short and simple poop themed challenge, unlocks the Jera rune. Another one, the Family Man, proves much more difficult.
24—Clockwork
Would be nice to get a double digit win streak at some point. Regardless, we eventually get Eve to the Chest to unlock the Sacrificial Dagger, and a bonus Mega Satan kill!
23—Unknown
Another Isaac run—gotta love the guy. This time we net a quick Lamb kill for a simple unlock of the mysterious Missing Poster.
22—Chocolate
Our first run of Isaac with his D6, we kill Hush and the boss of the newly-unlocked Chest endpoint, ??? (blue baby). This unlocks the D20!
21—Merely a Test
Samson kills Isaac to permanently unlock the Polaroid, allowing passage into the last of the final chapters, the Chest. A sacrifice is made to Mega Satan as well!
20—Delirious
Magdalene blasts her way (literally) through the Hush and even the newest new final boss, Delerium!
19—Minuscule
Not nearly as cool-looking of a thumbnail (although teeny tiny Eden is pretty neat on its own). Another Isaac kill on the books, this unlocks the Blank Card.
18—Sneak Peek
Azazel triumphs over both Boss Rush and Afterbirth's secret boss, the Hush, unlocking some goodies and a path to the final FINAL chapter of the game.
17—Unconventional
A shining example of how valuable Mini Monstro can be, Magdalene initially tries to go to the secret boss, Hush. Instead we end up in the Cathedral, sacrifice to the Dark Room, and slay Mega Satan for the first time!
16—Bamboozled
The reward to the April's Fool challenge is a subtle but actually extremely pleasant one. If you can kill the first few bloats and stack up gold hearts, this challenge becomes a breeze.
15—Error
First, we conquer the Waka Waka! challenge with relative ease for one of the greatest unlocks, Death's Touch. Finally, Eve blasts through the Dark Room, earning... a mediocre trinket and the Razor.
14—Double Whammy
Extra long special—first, a speedrun with Azazel for our very first Lamb fight and Zip! achivement. Finally, the newly unlocked ??? character destroys Isaac for a D6 reward!
13—Triskaidekaphobia
This is a real cruiser of a run—an unusually nice Eden start balls out of control into Guppy Brimstone madness. Sadly, maybe superstitiously, not enough luck was garnered to get to Sheol.
12—Explodonate
An all-around enjoyable go at our first challenge of choice, #9: Demo Man. The successful completion of this earns the Chaos Card!
11—Severed
So close but so far! A completely understandable miss of the dice prevents Eve from descending to Sheol (and beyond), but boss rush is cleared regardless.
10—Valley
After 9 pathetic deaths, Eden starts strong and grows ultimately stronger to...die and become Judas, killing Satan with ease. Negative unlocked!
9—Sluice
A go at the ol' Judas starts with... trouble, but ends with a Mom's Heart victory and a legitimate attempt at Boss Rush for Judas' Shadow!
8—Impetus
Ask and ye shall receive. An uninteresting Isaac run eventually snowballs out of control, triumphing over Boss Rush via Mama Mega and slaying Satan for Mom's Knife.
7—Wet Fart
Our first run as Lilith does not bode well. Magic Mushroom is not enough to carry a run singlehandedly! The win streak is kept intact, but our morale is not.
6—Extend
Trying out Greed Mode for the first time here; Azazel's completion of it will earn us Lilith! A surprisingly good run, the final boss goes down with little resistance.
5—Hellfire
Samson shows off how bad play can actually be...good? The Bloody Lust bonus carries him through Sheol, earning us Five Nights at Mom's; the Super Secret Rocks.
4—Benign
Eve is relatively under-equipped but she can pop off under the right circumstances. These aren't those circumstances. Yet, we manage to ascend all the way to the Cathedral.
3—Cainis
Personal favorite character Cain finds himself in sheol with just enough damage augments to be tolerable.
2—Nethers
Apollyon clicks his soul away to become Lazarus II, and with that we not only slay the heart of Mom but proceed further to Satan himself.
1—The Wrong Foot
After some, er, complications, Isaac destroys his own mother. The fun has only begun!
Comprehensive playlist for reference

On the other track, I've been doing the daily challenges since they started back in 2015, but only recently decided to record them with some semblance of commentary.
For these, everything is already unlocked, so it's a chance for anyone to prove their mettle. Things like the secret boss gauntlet and a secret boss are the highest priority, as they each contribute to a potential 9999 additional points, where scores are typically in the 30-50 thousand range. These opportunities are sealed over time, akin to something like Dead Cells. Getting there fast is paramount!

The rest of the score is an assortment of not getting hurt (damage penalty can rack up pretty quick) as well as how far you travel—the deeper, the better scoring.

Finally, there's a "schwag bonus". This is where the nonsense gets turned up to 11. It makes sense that having 99 of each consumable—keys, bombs, coins—would give you points here. The cap for those is around 5000 points. However, beyond that, touching a key, bomb, etc. on the ground adds a "pickup bonus". Essentially, the highest-scoring players almost always break the game in a such a way as to duplicate hundreds of consumable items and rack up the mathematical cap of schwag, around 15.5 thousand. Combined with a low damage penalty and maximum floor clearing, that's the key to success.

Rarely will you see me do that, though. If the game hands me the win, then I'll humor it a bit, but ultimately I like to see how nicely I can score by just performing well!
There are steam leaderboards for the game, but this website filters out the cheaters and hosts the scores in a much more accessible interface.

My own most recent scores can be found here: https://greedbutt.com/plus//player/76561198065761396

Latest Episode:
7/05/17 - Marathon get!
Check the playlist for older ones.
Note: Didn't get it on camera but Dedication, the achievement for participating in 30 daily runs on one save file, was obtained.

That's about it! If anyone wants to do a race or just co-commentate, I'm more than happy to give it a whirl!

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

New walkthrough video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEvyrHeVrnI

What lies beyond Mom? This is where the game might make you a bit squeamish...

Beyond that, we get a sneak peek at the realm past the Womb.

Using the Clicker once for the fun of it allowed a change to Lazarus II from Apollyon, completing two of his checkmarks on the post-it note.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just letting you know you have at least one viewer.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011
Are you planning to show off Antibirth as well? Once this has gone on for a while, doing some Antibirth runs might be good for variety.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

Just letting you know you have at least one viewer.

Thanks mate :)

Carpator Diei posted:

Are you planning to show off Antibirth as well? Once this has gone on for a while, doing some Antibirth runs might be good for variety.

It's definitely on the radar. I love the improved two-player local co-op! Sadly a bugfix update was promised multiple months ago and still no delivery on that. Also, it seems like the ultimate goal for that team was to port the mod to AB+ (currently only a Rebirth expansion), so if that happens it's certainly worth a look.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Your phone audibly vibrated at 3:31 in that second walkthrough video and I thought it was mine! :argh:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Carbon dioxide posted:

Your phone audibly vibrated at 3:31 in that second walkthrough video and I thought it was mine! :argh:

Haha, whoops, I ought to fully silence my phone for these. I tried putting some bubble wrap below the mic and it still picks up table vibrations!

New daily video up for today, by the way

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I'll be following this series. I get a tad frustrated when you miss or forget stuff, but then I remember that that is actually part of the game and you can get overwhelmed by the options it gives you while at the same time trying to follow a certain strategy that you have in mind.

I am also interested to see how broken Rebirth (Afterbirth+) is now, after the booster packs, the bugfixes and the rebalancing of stuff, especially when you start with a clean slate -- because I don't have the courage to do that again.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

I am also interested to see how broken Rebirth (Afterbirth+) is now, after the booster packs, the bugfixes and the rebalancing of stuff, especially when you start with a clean slate -- because I don't have the courage to do that again.

I bought Afterbirth but never got Afterbirth+. Reason being that, one, I was getting kinda tired/bored with the game, and two, it seemed Edmund's idea of fun is a boring grind where the chance of getting decent and fun items approaches zero. Every DLC rebalanced the game into a bad direction, even though the new additions and stuff are really nice, they cannot solve those problems. Well, maybe mods can, I don't really know how much you can do with these mods.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Today's walkthrough video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2APOEkk9v9s

Our second "mom kill" (the game only counts mom's heart as a mom kill, strangely enough) and second Satan kill in a row! First as Lazarus and now Cain, we're two for five on the road to the Five Nights at Mom's achievement, and two pieces of the Negative earned.

AbstractNapper posted:

I'll be following this series. I get a tad frustrated when you miss or forget stuff, but then I remember that that is actually part of the game and you can get overwhelmed by the options it gives you while at the same time trying to follow a certain strategy that you have in mind.

I definitely put a bit more effort to scrounge up everything on the floor for dailies than regular runs such as the walkthrough. If there's anything crucial I've missed, I'm all ears!
The game actually seems to have gotten slightly harder over time. The traditionally good items have been diluted, as have pills and cards. The newest secret final boss is pure BS as well. I'd say the DLC is worthwhile for the plethora of quality of life improvements, as well as of course modding support.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Say, would it be a good idea to switch to a pattern of three walkthrough videos and one daily run? I enjoy making the former a lot more, (plus the isaac community as a whole seem to be pretty disgruntled about dailies as they are) so if there aren't any objections I may as well do that.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I think walkthroughs would be better at the start, with more explanations of the builds you're attempting to go for. I can't remember who but some goon did a great LP of the first Issac game, which included homemade graphics that gave a little "tool-tip" on every item them encountered to help viewers understand choices. Having the stats on the side like you do is GREAT but more explanation on what the items are would be helpful.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Gridlocked posted:

I think walkthroughs would be better at the start, with more explanations of the builds you're attempting to go for. I can't remember who but some goon did a great LP of the first Issac game, which included homemade graphics that gave a little "tool-tip" on every item them encountered to help viewers understand choices. Having the stats on the side like you do is GREAT but more explanation on what the items are would be helpful.

Yeah Psychedelic Eyeball did very well in that regard; I've got an item tracker thingimajig added to OBS and will make an effort to more thoroughly explain things as we continue on. Expect to see some of that tomorrow!

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
Haven't seen the third walkthrough video yet, but really enjoying this so far. I just hate, hate, hate that you're so good at this, effortlessly dodging tears and recognising items at a glance. I've been playing this for literal years and I still need to check the wiki a couple of times every run. And I'm having a really good day if I reach sheol at all.

Maybe I just suck at BOI.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

placid saviour posted:

Haven't seen the third walkthrough video yet, but really enjoying this so far. I just hate, hate, hate that you're so good at this, effortlessly dodging tears and recognising items at a glance. I've been playing this for literal years and I still need to check the wiki a couple of times every run. And I'm having a really good day if I reach sheol at all.

Maybe I just suck at BOI.

platinumgod.co.uk is a much faster resource for on-the-fly Isaac information.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Can't believe noted good boy bum friend rewarded you with cancer even after all the poo poo taking you did :(

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLwdvvrzWYg
Eve is a cool character if you can make her work, but I never managed to get permanent Whore of Babylon up thanks to the lack of a devil deal commitment. Really poor angel rooms, too, but most importantly we did make it all the way through the Cathedral (angel alternative to Sheol). It doesn't feel like it with all these mediocre runs, but somehow we're still on this streak. 3/5 for Five Nights at Mom's, 2 for Negative and 1 Polaroid chunk.

someone awful. posted:

Can't believe noted good boy bum friend rewarded you with cancer even after all the poo poo taking you did :(

He gets some good-boy points for that but it's not enough to get him out of debt.

Today's video is going to be quite late if I can get one up at all. I'll get a bit of a backlog up so this hopefully won't happen again.

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 18, 2017

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Worth noting this game is on sale for 50% off for the package or 66% off for the base game on Steam this weekend!

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4k5YMLCxjQ
As it turns out, that original Isaac run to Mom was a perfecly viable victory. Now as Samson, taking damage "productively" lets us rack up a good damage stat each floor, despite having few items of note otherwise. A lucky devil deal to Sheol, and... Five Nights at Mom's get! Which unlocks... Super Secret Rocks. Enhanced tinted rocks that are hard to see. Meh.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Man going through your backlog of daily runs and there are so many new items since I last played, every time you pick up something I'm scrambling to the wiki to figure out what it does and how it synergised with all the other stuff. Fun LP to watch that ivy guy, keep on rocking.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
Something that might be awesome start off by unlocking the challenge that unlocks the Jera rune and not unlocking any of the other runes.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Why didn't you eat the dang 3rd puberty pill way up in Caves instead of finding another in Sheol?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 19, 2017

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Cainer posted:

Man going through your backlog of daily runs and there are so many new items since I last played, every time you pick up something I'm scrambling to the wiki to figure out what it does and how it synergised with all the other stuff. Fun LP to watch that ivy guy, keep on rocking.

I'm glad someone's enjoying the dailies, cheers :cheers:

Godna posted:

Something that might be awesome start off by unlocking the challenge that unlocks the Jera rune and not unlocking any of the other runes.

I'm probably going to min-max completion marks like that, yeah. Going to unlock the Chest and Dark Room first.

Gridlocked posted:

Why didn't you eat the dang 3rd puberty pill way up in Caves instead of finding another in Sheol?

Thanks for pointing that out. I consider myself pretty observant but things do slip through the cracks!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Congrats on the Five Nights at Mom's achievement. About the super secret rocks... I don't think I ever consciously spotted one of those, and I may have found 4 or 5 in total by luck since I unlocked them; but then again that was close to completing the game and not playing that much of it anymore.

I may have missed it in your videos, but could you list the mods that you are using (especially in the last run -- the one that shows the seed and more picked items on the right)?
You briefly mentioned it in the first video, about how mods block the first achievements but you could enable them afterwards (after beating mom? ). How does this work exactly? I thought they blocked all achievements. Did they patch this out?

Also, how do the self sacrifice rooms work if you haven't unlocked the last levels of the game? Do they still take you... there?

I had a few notes on the runs so far
- Using pills after a boss room fight and before entering into deal with a devil seems ill-advised. You could get a health down, a bad trip or a teleport pill that would ruin your chances to trade health for the devil deal or make you miss the devil deal altogether.
- This is marginally useful, because you only rarely want or have to donate to key beggars, but when you do, I find the best tactic is to donate as much as you can afford (or as much as they will allow before taking off), because opening chests --especially the red ones-- has a significant change of spawning bombs and troll bombs that would kill the beggar (and potentially hurt you too).

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

AbstractNapper posted:

I may have missed it in your videos, but could you list the mods that you are using (especially in the last run -- the one that shows the seed and more picked items on the right)?
You briefly mentioned it in the first video, about how mods block the first achievements but you could enable them afterwards (after beating mom? ). How does this work exactly? I thought they blocked all achievements. Did they patch this out?
This tool with OBS's built in chroma key (green screen) filter. Although I'm going to go back to the in-game GUI, this is still a really nice thing to have around. The only mod I'm using at this point is Disable Giantbooks to hide the mini cutscenes when using books, black hearts etc.
Yeah, with the latest booster pack update, you can enable mods and not be blocked from achievements as long as you have defeated Mom's Heart.

AbstractNapper posted:

Also, how do the self sacrifice rooms work if you haven't unlocked the last levels of the game? Do they still take you... there?

Excellent question. I can't find anything about it on the Wiki, but I have to assume the angels you fight won't drop key pieces (like in boss rush, which we haven't even reached yet) yet the teleport can still occur.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93Bdw-sGkVc
Eking out another daily run victory—3 out of 5 for Marathon! This one was Cain to Mom's Heart, but we found a shovel early on to get down an extra floor to Sheol. Missed boss rush like a loser but that Shovel play was enough to bring us back in the running.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
the self sacrifice rooms still work as expected. I accidentally discovered that on my own.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iK0i4dj-K40
Taking the plunge into Greed Mode, mostly to unlock the newer character from Afterbirth, Lilith. Also the first Azazel run, the game was basically steamrolled. Feels good to have something pretty powerful after the mediocre attempts at the regular game lately!

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
just watched the sampson vid. HOw did you get shoopdawhoop when you had the No trinket?

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Godna posted:

just watched the sampson vid. HOw did you get shoopdawhoop when you had the No trinket?

Miniboss drops are hard-coded, so if Envy drops an item, it will always be Shoop da Whoop. Same tactic can be used to hopefully get a second Dead Cat from Super Pride for a potential 18 lives!

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 21, 2017

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Bit of a late one today; encoder was acting up and the run itself was... well, let the timestamp do the talking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_ZyTGNlXw
Trying out Lilith for the first time! Thanks to Magic Mush and Dead Cat for somehow carrying me all the way to Mom's Heart against all odds.
Nothing particularly interesting unlocked besides another Mom's Heart kill for Everything is Terrible (how fitting). Here's hoping we escape this slump of nasty runs; yesterday's Greed mode was a pleasant surprise!

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Really liking your new overlay thing, I don't have to run off to the wiki every time you find something new now.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i really enjoy your chill commentary style, and you got me trying to re-learn Isaac with a controller. it feels real good but i'm absolutely terrible at it

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
I would love it if you'd give us a list of the mods you use. That poo poo looks great

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHI7T-IGsjk
Another long one but at least this has earned us some unlocks! Playing as ol' Isaac again, this is our first time trying Boss Rush, with the much-needed assistance of Mama Mega. Another Satan kill on the books, earning Mom's Knife, one of an elite few items that can carry essentially any run through the entire game on its own.

Godna posted:

I would love it if you'd give us a list of the mods you use. That poo poo looks great

Added to the OP, good idea!

someone awful. posted:

i really enjoy your chill commentary style, and you got me trying to re-learn Isaac with a controller. it feels real good but i'm absolutely terrible at it

Thanks, I advocate even more for the controller in this episode lol

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

pictured: the face of a champion

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZcKTW-uqZM
Today's daily was close to greatness but missing boss rush and hush resulted in a relatively mediocre score. Most importantly, though, four of five Marathon dailies complete! I can almost smell the Cracked Crown unlock.

Godna
Feb 4, 2013
surprised you didn't bomb through more doors. That mighta made the difference. You also had refresh when you bought that soul heart and could have gotten many more.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Godna posted:

surprised you didn't bomb through more doors. That mighta made the difference. You also had refresh when you bought that soul heart and could have gotten many more.

Yeah I totally blanked on bombing through rooms in the Womb somehow, despite taking no hesitation doing so in the Depths. Somehow even with somewhat self-aware commentary I find myself too slow for those cutoffs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godna
Feb 4, 2013

that ivy guy posted:

Yeah I totally blanked on bombing through rooms in the Womb somehow, despite taking no hesitation doing so in the Depths. Somehow even with somewhat self-aware commentary I find myself too slow for those cutoffs!

Mayhaps get a co-commentator that can usher you to action then!

• Locked thread