Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I can't say i had damage feedback issues but yeah i had quit for the night at the helicarrier fight in tnc, not realizing i was ten minutes from the end of the main game because lol it didn't feel like it

I don't even know how I'm supposed to get more enigma codes to unlock the last few ubercommandos now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

You farm commanders in existing missions, which you have to do to have enough enigma codes to unlock the bonus side mission anyway.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Took me 45 mins to get the Wolf:Youngblood friend pass to work on PC due to Bethesda account fuckery. Apparently if you invite someone through Steam the invite disappears into the ether. Had to unfriend my friend from Steam and then add their Bethesda account name to be able to invite them. God knows why they couldn't have just made the deluxe version a double pack instead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

New Colossus is certainly the most anti-climatic Wolfenstein game for sure. It honestly feels pretty undercooked, the dramatic moments for character development are always undercut by silly wacky nonsense and you'd think the main villain of the drat game would have more to say about her daughter working against her but she never mentions Sigrun again after the beginning of the game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I feel like introducing multiple dimensions but not including a bfg skin for the uberhammer is a missed opportunity for some cross ip synergy

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Someone in here was talking up OVERLORD, which I’ve got to cast a vote against. It was about as by-the-numbers and unsurprising as you’d imagine a Nazi zombie movie would be. It does have one pretty good scene (the first, uh, onscreen transformation) but otherwise it’s a drag. Stick to The Old Blood.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

General Battuta posted:

Someone in here was talking up OVERLORD, which I’ve got to cast a vote against. It was about as by-the-numbers and unsurprising as you’d imagine a Nazi zombie movie would be. It does have one pretty good scene (the first, uh, onscreen transformation) but otherwise it’s a drag. Stick to The Old Blood.

Overlord doesn’t have and zombies in it, and the opening paratrooper scene is worth the price of admission alone.

I’m going to disagree that it’s by the numbers for a few reasons:
It dodges most genre cliches - the black guy is the main character, every member of the squad lives except for like two (even when they set up one or two characters as doing certain-death “heroic last stands” or suicide runs, they live), it doesn’t set itself up for a sequel, and the main female character doesn’t get turned into some kind of love interest.

I’m sorry you didn’t like it, but I thought Overlord was a hoot. It felt less like a “horror” movie and more like a genuine war movie that happened to have some wacky Nazi super science in it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How do you play Wolf 2? It keeps crashing in the first cutscene. Usually right after I make the choice, rarely before the choice. But if it gets past that it crashes two minutes later.
It this the game?

I have 2070S and 3700X and async compute turned off.

Also I hate how the dog is panting with its mouth closed in the intro I can't get past.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 5, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you mean tnc i just bought it off steam and played through it this last weekend no problem. maybe google the crash, i had one with youngblood because i had set the image streaming too high and it was trying to allocate more vram than i had

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Turning off deferred rendering solved the crashes. Now another issue is that water is completely invisible. What a crappy game. DOOM 16 had zero tech issues for me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I can think of few games that soured so quickly after completion as TNC. It's a bunch on non-interactive moments that make you go "holy poo poo" when you see them before feeling faintly embarrassed when you dwell on it after the fact. All this bridged by some of the most impressively bland levels around.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i cant lie, ive dumped over 60 hours into youngblood, but tnc just fuckin ends and tbh i did all the extra ubercommando missions for completions sake, not because i really wanted to

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I reached the part at Areas 52 where I would be soon planting a nuke, died and now after reloading the last save I get this error:

Trying to load again crashes the game.
Is my save and progress busted?

I googled this and it seems like it was only fixed on PS4...

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sininu posted:

I reached the part at Areas 52 where I would be soon planting a nuke, died and now after reloading the last save I get this error:

Trying to load again crashes the game.
Is my save and progress busted?

I googled this and it seems like it was only fixed on PS4...

I got pretty lucky but I know the game was real buggy at launch. I actually did get my save corrupted but that was during the post-game so I didn't really care, would have thought they'd fixed it.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Mordja posted:

I got pretty lucky but I know the game was real buggy at launch. I actually did get my save corrupted but that was during the post-game so I didn't really care, would have thought they'd fixed it.

Thankfully loading the earliest autosave I had worked and I got past. Woo-hoo.

Anyone else noticed certain elements in the realtime cutscenes are 30 fps? The "lawyer" cutscene has a book, gag mask and a whole characters at that frame rate. Super jarring when everything else is 140 fps.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 19, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
afaik no cutscenes play at 144 in any idtech 6 game whether thats any wolf game or doom 16

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

site posted:

afaik no cutscenes play at 144 in any idtech 6 game whether thats any wolf game or doom 16

It was at least putting out 140 frames per second.

Do you mean the animations are running at 60? They may be. Still, my jarring observation stands.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh sorry, i must have missed the "realtime" i thought you meant the regular cutscenes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to start another go at New Colossus where I go full combat and ignore stealth. Is it viable to do that or am I going to hurt myself because of all the hitscan weapons and bad damage feedback?

I like the game a lot but it has some glaring problems. I have no issue with the story (apart from it not ragging on Americans more and being two levels too short) but the gameplay needs some tuning.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Arcsquad12 posted:

I want to start another go at New Colossus where I go full combat and ignore stealth. Is it viable to do that or am I going to hurt myself because of all the hitscan weapons and bad damage feedback?

I like the game a lot but it has some glaring problems. I have no issue with the story (apart from it not ragging on Americans more and being two levels too short) but the gameplay needs some tuning.

I just put the game on the easiest difficulty and played this way. It was a lot of fun and I heartily recommend it. This game seems really punishing on anything above easy, mainly because the enemies see to be the same color as the environment at all times.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I pretty much abandoned stealth completely in TNC and went all loud all the time. I half-and-halfed the previous game, but I felt the map design and alarm mechanics in the sequel made it a complete chore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm just thinking of the places in the game where run and gun wouldn't work. The courthouse fight, the Roswell vault and the New York bunker where that goddamn ubercommander has a grenade pistol.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
my second playthrough of tnc ended up unintentionally being mostly run and gun because i was trying to play fast and kept flubbing the stealth. i played on medium and though there were some moments that i ended up dying a few times, i particularly remember venus here, it was still solid. the reload points for me iirc it was really just a matter of, once you get a feel for the types of enemies in that area, knowing which weapon to use at a given time and using your laserkraftwerk for the mechs but not going overboard and running out of ammo for it. also remember you do have grenades. i forgot that a lot

i think that one area of the game specifically not designed for run and gun is the final ubercommando bunker where you operate in complete darkness the entire way though. but that mission sucked anyways and i wouldnt recommend bothering to play it

site fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 10, 2020

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's completely viable even on the hardest difficulties provided you don't stay still and out in the open. Wolfenstein's combat is all about breaking lines of sight, that's why BJ sprints like an energizer bunny.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I played through the Section F section before I realized I was on Do or Die and not I Am Death Incarnate! Oh dear this is going to get rough.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Man, every time I see this thread pop up I remember my first time playing and being disappointed by the story and forced action moments in this game. Is the newer game with the twins better story wise? Or is it similar to what was in TNC?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Odddzy posted:

Man, every time I see this thread pop up I remember my first time playing and being disappointed by the story and forced action moments in this game. Is the newer game with the twins better story wise? Or is it similar to what was in TNC?

There's barely any story in it at all.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mordja posted:

There's barely any story in it at all.

Hmm, would you recommend it then?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I'm not sure what you mean by forced action moments but yeah in general youngbloods pretty fun

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

site posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by forced action moments but yeah in general youngbloods pretty fun

Where you can't do stealth. You know, forced action.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Having not played Youngblood either does the game still have the New Colossus style alarm and officer mechanics or did they rebalance it to not be bullshit?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Odddzy posted:

Where you can't do stealth. You know, forced action.

Well with the addition of cloaking there's more opportunity to stealth than the previous games, but yeah it's still the same basic gameplay cycle of stealth > flub stealth > run and gun. And there are "boss" battles and areas with giant mechs that are just impossible to kill via stealth kills. Don't expect to be able to stealth your way through the whole game

Arcsquad12 posted:

Having not played Youngblood either does the game still have the New Colossus style alarm and officer mechanics or did they rebalance it to not be bullshit?

It's the officer/alarm mechanic but you're always strong enough to where the extra waves aren't really ever an issue. I'm not sure how it worked in tnc but in youngblood I think there's a max of 2 or 3 extra waves before the radio tells them there's no more guys to send

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There was “forced action” in the first game and TOB too so I’m not sure what you would expect.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have developed a strategy of charging at the enemy with dual wielded silenced SMGs to see how many I can kill before an alarm is raised and I switch to the sturmgewehr.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
In Youngblood is there a way to open the map? I don't see a keybinding and searching online just gives me screenshots of the map.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

dudeness posted:

In Youngblood is there a way to open the map? I don't see a keybinding and searching online just gives me screenshots of the map.

Not that I’ve found, it’s pretty lovely!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
afaik there is no map to open, just the minimap.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Got Young Blood and bounced off it hard. Combined with me being a bit disappointed by NC, I am kind of afraid that New Order was a fluke.
And I really hope I am wrong, because I loved NO.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If NO was a fluke the. old Blood was a fluke into "best FPS campaign of the 2010s" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolfenstein III can go either way considering MachineGames/pre-2010 Starbreeze's pedigree which also had their hits and misses - the remaster of Butcher Bay with the inconsistent difficulty and expansion pack with boring level design (sound familiar?).

I'll still be there Day 1 to see BJ being sad about human nature and what kind of grotesque poo poo they'll do with Adolf Hitler.