Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The first act of Old Blood is great but it goes downhill once they introduce the zombies and most of the combat during the last half turns into first person zombie shooter #984. The very beginning of the game with the semi-forced stealth isn't terribly interesting either. Still worth playing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
In addition to shootin, stabbin, and stranglin Nazis, we can now hatchet and dieselkraftwerk them. :allears: And don't forget the return of the mighty FLAMETHROWER.

I wonder how much ribbing/poking at The Man In The High Castle will happen.

Also, the cartoon character is named "Blitzmensch" and that amuses me.

Bolow posted:

I'm sad that the bad rear end resistance lady is very likely dead in the new game :smith:
I think she says "Not monsters, men." in the trailer. But I would not be surprised if Caroline bites it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I know the new Wolfenstein is gonna deliver on the Nazi shootin', but the trailer implicitly promised some KKK shootin' and I better get it :colbert:

Mafia 3 was a good start in that regard. Let's see you step it up MachineGames.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
I'm going to reinstall TNO and TOB, it's one of the best nazi killing simulators. Sniper Elite being a close second.

But what's all this talk about Hitler maybe being a zombie? I don't remember anything about that in either of the new games.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

de_dust posted:

I'm going to reinstall TNO and TOB, it's one of the best nazi killing simulators. Sniper Elite being a close second.

But what's all this talk about Hitler maybe being a zombie? I don't remember anything about that in either of the new games.

There were some notes you could find in TNO suggesting that the Fuhrer wasn't looking that great and was pretty sickly and pale-looking or something to that effect. Maybe a bit of stretch to go to "zombie" before The Old Blood came out but, well, The Old Blood had literal zombies.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

It was in the Old Blood, actually. A letter from a Nazi officer who met the Fuhrer and shook his hand and said he looked really pale. Also there was a news article about how the Fuhrer is totally fine and don't worry about these rumors an American broke into his compound and killed him, that's all a lie.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wolfenstein Megathread: So Much For The Tolerant Left

would have been a way better title imho

Humerus posted:

It was in the Old Blood, actually. A letter from a Nazi officer who met the Fuhrer and shook his hand and said he looked really pale. Also there was a news article about how the Fuhrer is totally fine and don't worry about these rumors an American broke into his compound and killed him, that's all a lie.
He got well enough by 1948 to make a public announcement of the surrender of North America. He could have simply been very wounded.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Wolfenstein Megathread: So Much For The Tolerant Left

Frau Engel's face looking a lot better, considering how super hosed up it got last time we saw her.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Grey Fox posted:

Hi, I'm here for the meltdowns.

If I wanted to shoot the grandfathers of AntiFA, should I start with 2009 or the newer games?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Personally I love Return, but it is rather dated these days. Health and ammo carry over between most missions so if you barely squeeze by in one you may start off screwed on the next. And obviously graphics wise it's a PS2 era game.

2009 was pretty good but the only way to play it is to find a disc-it's not sold digitally. It's also the one with the most mixed feelings.

Like I'm going to say play Return but nobody would blame you for starting with The New Order. Just depends on how much you can handle older games.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

I guess he didn't play far enough into TNO where it's revealed that all the Nazi's super-science was reverse engineered from Jewish super-science.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Mel Brooks was right. Jews did master space travel.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So this game is indeed in continuity with the 2009 game? I never played it, but it seemed like I was supposed to have a history with the wheelchair/powersuit lady and the German dude who was friends with Sloth.

So how the heck is this game Wolfenstein 2?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

GigaPeon posted:

So this game is indeed in continuity with the 2009 game? I never played it, but it seemed like I was supposed to have a history with the wheelchair/powersuit lady and the German dude who was friends with Sloth.

So how the heck is this game Wolfenstein 2?

They really should have gone full Dark Forces with the naming. I'd totally play Wolfenstein 3: The New Order 2: The New Colossus.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RTCW, Wolf09, TNO, TOB and Wolfenstein II are all canon. Wolf3D and its expansions (or parts of them) might be canon going off a newspaper article you can find on TOB.

RTCW gets referenced once or twice during TNO and TOB and BJ meets Caroline during Wolf09, but both games barely have a plot (BJ is a silent character in RTCW) and the NPCs are there as exposition.

If you want to get even more confused then TOB takes place in the same beginning location as RTCW despite the town and castle looking completely different within the two years that have passed between the games. Wolf09 also had a handful of pre-release animated comics that put it, RTCW and Wolf3D/SOD in the same continuity and tried to set-up some organisation called the Fourth Reich as the main enemy - this was all scrapped once that game bombed and the IP was handed over to MachineGames. It also showed BJ fighting Hans Grosse in Wolf3D despite the latter appearing in Wolf09 and neither of them recognising the other despite supposedly having fought before. Don't think about it any of this too hard like I did. :shepface:

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

GUI posted:

RTCW, Wolf09, TNO, TOB and Wolfenstein II are all canon. Wolf3D and its expansions (or parts of them) might be canon going off a newspaper article you can find on TOB.

RTCW gets referenced once or twice during TNO and TOB and BJ meets Caroline during Wolf09, but both games barely have a plot (BJ is a silent character in RTCW) and the NPCs are there as exposition.

If you want to get even more confused then TOB takes place in the same beginning location as RTCW despite the town and castle looking completely different within the two years that have passed between the games. Wolf09 also had a handful of pre-release animated comics that put it, RTCW and Wolf3D/SOD in the same continuity and tried to set-up some organisation called the Fourth Reich as the main enemy - this was all scrapped once that game bombed and the IP was handed over to MachineGames. It also showed BJ fighting Hans Grosse in Wolf3D despite the latter appearing in Wolf09 and neither of them recognising the other despite supposedly having fought before. Don't think about it any of this too hard like I did. :shepface:

Also, remember the time the sequel to RTCW's F2P expansion was a prequel to Quake 2? That's gotta be canon, right?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Humerus posted:

I'm not sure trying to reconcile the Wolfenstein timeline is possible or even necessary. BJ has been captured and broken out and returned to Castle Wolfenstein multiple times; he's fought multiple ancient evils and occult monsters; he's to Wolfenstein's world what the Marine is to Doom's. Just kick back and enjoy some Nazi killin' :c00l:

No really though, don't worry too much about it. Caroline was shot by Strasse at the end of '09 and was never shown as surviving until she shows up in TNO. And the Grosse stuff and TOB and RtCW being so similar with an SS officer named Helga so obsessed with the occult....

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

GigaPeon posted:

Also, remember the time the sequel to RTCW's F2P expansion was a prequel to Quake 2? That's gotta be canon, right?

Its a real shame about that one. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was like the best class-based shooter out there, leagues beyond anything else around at the time. And then Quake Wars was a big megatextured fart.

I haven't played TNO yet, bought it on sale a while ago and have been waiting to start until tomorrow when I can binge-play it for like 12 hours :grin:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

my bony fealty posted:

I haven't played TNO yet, bought it on sale a while ago and have been waiting to start until tomorrow when I can binge-play it for like 12 hours :grin:

Congrats on what is going to be an awesome day. I'd honestly rather play Wolfenstein New Order through twice than TNO and some other game.

It's about ethics in games Naziism.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

GUI posted:

Everything before RTCW are PTSD induced flashbacks B.J. experiences in TNO/TOB and are therefore sort of canon since the events depicted might have occurred in some fashion that are then remembered by B.J. as crazy dreams.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

The southern American communist resistance member threw me for a loop. This game is going to make people SO ANGRY in the best possible way. :allears:

I like how pissed BJ's getting at him while he goes on about how he bravely resisted sending the proletariat to die in Europe.

It seems like a big thing in this game is going to be trying to get a bunch of resistance cells that hate the gently caress out of each other to work together enough that they remember they hate the loving Nazis more. They played with it a little in The New Order with Blazko and Hendrix nearly coming to blows, but from the trailer it's going to be more central this time.

Also, if my eyes don't deceive me, Fergus is getting a robot arm and Wyatt's going a bit nuts. Could be someone else, but if they're keeping both routes available, that's pretty neat.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

I like how pissed BJ's getting at him while he goes on about how he bravely resisted sending the proletariat to die in Europe.

It seems like a big thing in this game is going to be trying to get a bunch of resistance cells that hate the gently caress out of each other to work together enough that they remember they hate the loving Nazis more. They played with it a little in The New Order with Blazko and Hendrix nearly coming to blows, but from the trailer it's going to be more central this time.

Also, if my eyes don't deceive me, Fergus is getting a robot arm and Wyatt's going a bit nuts. Could be someone else, but if they're keeping both routes available, that's pretty neat.

Nazi's - They bring everyone (except Nazi's) together to kill Nazi's

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, there are hundreds of WW2 shooters, but very few are actually NAZI killing games. Wolfenstein and Sniper Elite are really the ones to focus heavily on the enemy being Nazis and not just Germans. Call of Duty is more of Germans as the faceless goons, but Wolftentein really goes "gently caress Nazis" and runs with it. That's what really sets it apart from other World War 2 games.

Still curious how they will address the Fergus/Wyatt divide in the game. Probably a flashback choice section while BJ is in a coma, to play as a tutorial level.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

GUI posted:

The first act of Old Blood is great but it goes downhill once they introduce the zombies and most of the combat during the last half turns into first person zombie shooter #984. The very beginning of the game with the semi-forced stealth isn't terribly interesting either. Still worth playing though.

It did give us the line "would you look at that; it's raining nazis", which i believe to be the peak of human writing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still like the second half of old blood for how well it veers into the apocalyptic. It's bad enough the the allies are getting crushed but then you throw zombies on top of it all and set the sky on fire and the whole war feels hopeless. You fail to save agent one, fail to save agent two, and if you save Kessler instead of anette he just goes on a suicide run against Berlin. Everyone dies and it's all for nothing.
It's an odd prequel that still has a foregone conclusion, but focusing the mood on the hopelessness of the situation sells it so well. And it doesn't stop the game from having really funny moments, like BJ frantically sawing off the shotgun barrel, or quietly unchaining himself while Helga and her lackey try to control the beast.

And if you play it before new order it makes the gut punch of that game hit harder, as you've gone through hell only for everything to somehow get worse.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 14, 2017

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I hope a lot of DOOM rubbed off on the new game so I can have less tedious Old Blood stealth sneaking and more in your face gunblazing

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Old blood's stealth section with the ubersoldaten was the worst and thank gently caress in New Order if you failed at stealth you could just shoot everyone instead and not feel bad about it.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFryhE5rwA

There's maybe a little more information here, but nothing super new/surprising.

Oh also if you feel you must have a faux leather replica of BJ's yellow jacket, Bethesda has you covered for $98!

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

And if you play it before new order it makes the gut punch of that game hit harder, as you've gone through hell only for everything to somehow get worse.
Eh, I think it works better after TNO because you know all of these sacrifices and deaths were all leading up to the doomed assault on the compound anyhow.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Old blood's stealth section with the ubersoldaten was the worst and thank gently caress in New Order if you failed at stealth you could just shoot everyone instead and not feel bad about it.

You stealth kill the first guy then mow the rest of them down with the minigun, you just need to wait for them to turn around :shrug:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ravenfood posted:

Eh, I think it works better after TNO because you know all of these sacrifices and deaths were all leading up to the doomed assault on the compound anyhow.

True, but my overall point is that it is the rare prequel that plays to its strengths, whether you play before or after New Order.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bolow posted:

You stealth kill the first guy then mow the rest of them down with the minigun, you just need to wait for them to turn around :shrug:

Target their backpack you mean?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

True, but my overall point is that it is the rare prequel that plays to its strengths, whether you play before or after New Order.
Oh, yeah, its very well done, no question there.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Target their backpack you mean?

Yeah if you shoot them in the connection bit and it falls off, then you gently caress them up

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Humerus posted:

Oh also if you feel you must have a faux leather replica of BJ's yellow jacket, Bethesda has you covered for $98!

Caroline is all but confirmed dead before we even get off the U-boat I'm guessing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Caroline is all but confirmed dead before we even get off the U-boat I'm guessing.

Either dead or coming back as the pentultimate boss like Wyatt/Fergus in TNO.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Humerus posted:

"I'm not saying it's space aliens, right? But it goes without saying, it's fuckin' SPACE ALIENS!"

I love that guy already. :allears:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Humerus posted:

Does it come with signature machine gun?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does it come with iconic machine gun?

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

This really should be the main image in the OP.