Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You know, there are hundreds of WW2 shooters, but very few are actually NAZI killing games. Wolfenstein and Sniper Elite are really the ones to focus heavily on the enemy being Nazis and not just Germans. Call of Duty is more of Germans as the faceless goons, but Wolftentein really goes "gently caress Nazis" and runs with it. That's what really sets it apart from other World War 2 games.

Still curious how they will address the Fergus/Wyatt divide in the game. Probably a flashback choice section while BJ is in a coma, to play as a tutorial level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still like the second half of old blood for how well it veers into the apocalyptic. It's bad enough the the allies are getting crushed but then you throw zombies on top of it all and set the sky on fire and the whole war feels hopeless. You fail to save agent one, fail to save agent two, and if you save Kessler instead of anette he just goes on a suicide run against Berlin. Everyone dies and it's all for nothing.
It's an odd prequel that still has a foregone conclusion, but focusing the mood on the hopelessness of the situation sells it so well. And it doesn't stop the game from having really funny moments, like BJ frantically sawing off the shotgun barrel, or quietly unchaining himself while Helga and her lackey try to control the beast.

And if you play it before new order it makes the gut punch of that game hit harder, as you've gone through hell only for everything to somehow get worse.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Old blood's stealth section with the ubersoldaten was the worst and thank gently caress in New Order if you failed at stealth you could just shoot everyone instead and not feel bad about it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ravenfood posted:

Eh, I think it works better after TNO because you know all of these sacrifices and deaths were all leading up to the doomed assault on the compound anyhow.

True, but my overall point is that it is the rare prequel that plays to its strengths, whether you play before or after New Order.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bolow posted:

You stealth kill the first guy then mow the rest of them down with the minigun, you just need to wait for them to turn around :shrug:

Target their backpack you mean?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Humerus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUFryhE5rwA

There's maybe a little more information here, but nothing super new/surprising.

Oh also if you feel you must have a faux leather replica of BJ's yellow jacket, Bethesda has you covered for $98!

Caroline is all but confirmed dead before we even get off the U-boat I'm guessing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Did a quick playthrough of part 2 of old blood. Mick Gordon is one hell of a composer. FROM THE SHADOWS!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The cutscenes are the only parts of the game that have aa on because Doom 4 didn't refine the engine yet, and I actually quite like them for their flair. Old Blood is more player driven with every (very short) cutscene done in first person.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That scope is great for murdering Uber soldiers in one discharge

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just realized that BJ's new jacket is Klaus's.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Wolfenstein has done alchemy, super science robots, zombies, cthulu cults, so naturally the next thing should be either space alien nazis or lizard people from the center of the earth.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Agrajag posted:

How short is The Old Blood? All the reviews seem to mention it being short.

Say about 6-7 hours on a first playthrough, closer to 4-5 if you've worked out its kinks after a few runs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I doubt that the "big choice" for divergent paths in this game will be choosing between Caroline/Fergus or Wyatt. More likely Caroline will be dead, and the big choice will be choosing which mission to do, since they said the variation will give you either the LKW again or the new Dieselkraftwerk. So maybe you save a refinery while a residential area dies or vice versa.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I really hope that New Colossus blows the lid open on a lot of the horrific poo poo that the USA has been responsible for in its history. While I love that in New Order you get to blast apart a concentration camp, the game doesn't go far enough with it and really address the holocaust beyond "Nazis kill undesirables". With New Colossus, they have a chance to get into some really deep poo poo involving Jim Crow laws, Klan members and institutionalized racism that seems to have made the occupation of the States a much smoother process than Europe or Africa. In Britain, the allies fought to the last man until the London Monitor massacred them, and as punishment most people live in slums without power or water. Meanwhile in the USA, you've got your 1950s suburban American ideal happily coexisting with the Nazi regime, because the barely covered up racism of white America is now totally okay in the eyes of the Nazis themselves.

I love the Fergus timeline, but holy crap having Jimi Hendrix call out America's hypocrisy in the Wyatt timeline was great. Seeing everything he condemned brought to light in New Colossus would be fantastic.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can anyone recommend a good let's play of wolf 09 on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4LaR1C6Xds
It's not a Let's Play, but Ross Scott did a good overview of what Wolf '09 is like. It's not a perfect game, but it has its moments. New Order blows it out in every category though so keep that in mind if you are going back from playing the newer games.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I want to see Ezra Pound giving lectures in Washington. Though I don't know if killing him would ever live up to his real world punishment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But Fergus is excellent on his own. I love that one of the audio options is to only subtitle foreign languages... so they subtitle Fergus's Scottish accent as well.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The concentration camp level is still the weakest in the game, but that's because unlike other stealthy levels, you don't get the option to go hog wild if you gently caress up. You're still stuck with just a knife. And I still think it doesn't go far enough to fully address how horrific the camps actually were. Camp Belica is more of a work camp than a murder center, there aren't any gas chambers, just a robot janitor and a guy with a knife and incinerators.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have to say that the first impressions in new order are pretty misleading. The opening sequence doesn't really represent the gameplay very well, since it is pretty scripted but that's okay. When you slap Wyatt to knock his nerves into gear that's where I was misled. It seemed so typically oorah that this manly man whips a young boy into shape with a few smacks.
And then the rest of the level happened and I saw what they were going for.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Agreed, but J is amazing on his own.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And fergus's snap at bj for being old and tired better fits the game's theme on the old men losing meaning in their fight than Wyatt's breakdown over responsibility. Wyatt you're thirty years old grow up a bit, fergus was already old you don't have the same excuse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Because he now has a personality beyond using nazis as pincushions?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shotgun enemies still die in one hit from a rocket. And to beat deathshead just throw grenades at him while you run to the blimps.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or grenades if you managed to get the explode on contact perk.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Or is it Sputnik posted:

Sure! It's the second phase, prolonged firefight in an ever-sorta-shrinking area that is the problem though. It felt real good to make it, but jeez I got tired of hearing "crawl into a hole. Won't help ya."

I really didn't find it that bad. Same strategy, grenade him to stun and then unload on him with rockets and then AR marksmen lasers if it comes down to it. Just keep sprinting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Italy turned on the Nazis and were crushed, while Japan was forcefully occupied by their "liberators" following the defeat of mainland China. There are plenty of news clippings at the Kreisau Circle that explain what happened.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

Fergus shows up in the trailer too, with a robot arm. Don't know how they're going to handle things, but they're both in.

Of course getting hung up on canon doesn't do much for Wolfenstein seeing how it reinvents itself each iteration with only vague references to past events. I mean, Old Blood is a direct prequel to New Order, but it is also a sequel to Return and 09 which means that BJ fought alongside two completely different Kesslers and stopped two different zombie apocalypses between 1942 and 46 as well as an interdimensional invasion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hitler is probably alive thanks to alchemy. His name is explicitly mentioned in Old Blood in a report about a "failed" assassination attempt on Hitler's life, and Bobby says Heil Hitler on the approach to the London Nautica. Deathshead is over 100 years old in New Order, so I can believe Hitler had his age extended as well thanks to zombie magic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Deathshead just wants to replace mankind with an army of robots with brains.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Paingod556 posted:

So this is all in canon with Danger 5, right?

Nowhere near enough window escapes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And you can kill up to two women in old blood

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

the black husserl posted:

I like these games but I'm pretty sure the developers have some weird fetish for having BJ get brutally maimed, then shrug it off like it's nothing and get right back to the killing.

It happens like a half dozen times in TNO. At this point if BJ got decapitated I wouldn't even blink, I'd just wait for the head to start biting Nazis.

They do address this in old blood. Every wound BJ takes stays on his body for the rest of the campaign

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe instead of BJ getting decapitated by the Nazis, Set offers to give him a new body because his old body is completely wrecked.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

one is zombie and other is practically dead.

Sorry, three women. I forgot you could shoot Helga. And the other two are zombies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just noticed that the game show host on German Or Else is played by James Horan. I'd recognize that voice anywhere, Avitus.

Who wants a Terror Billy action figure to go up against Hans Grosse?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jul 14, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Werix posted:

I didn't recognize it at all, but now that you point it out, I can only hear Avitus.

You may also know him as the Warp Spider.... OR AS THE DREADNOUGHT!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DoctorStrangelove posted:

The KKK would never be able to stand being forced to talk Jerman.

I think it would be hilarious that not only has the USA's freedom fighters have capitulated, but their own racist cults have folded as well. Maybe the KKK ran a terrorist campaign against the occupation until they got their asses handed to them by the Atlantic Monitor or something, and then the Nazis brought back the organization as a puppet to get other racist cults to back them.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That did happen. During the 30s when Japan and China were slugging it out, Germany did for a time supply aid to the Chinese. Wasn't the first time European nations intervened in Chinese affairs either

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The funny thing about Old Blood is that it is a soft reboot of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, while also admitting that RTCW still happened. BJ just really likes infiltrating the castle and escaping with the help of men named Kessler on his quest to kill Nazis named Helga.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dwight Shultz absolutely nails Deathshead and has a good German accent to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unless you count the lost missions from 3D, or you dislike how 09 chased modern trends instead of finding its own identity