Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The first act of Old Blood is great but it goes downhill once they introduce the zombies and most of the combat during the last half turns into first person zombie shooter #984. The very beginning of the game with the semi-forced stealth isn't terribly interesting either. Still worth playing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RTCW, Wolf09, TNO, TOB and Wolfenstein II are all canon. Wolf3D and its expansions (or parts of them) might be canon going off a newspaper article you can find on TOB.

RTCW gets referenced once or twice during TNO and TOB and BJ meets Caroline during Wolf09, but both games barely have a plot (BJ is a silent character in RTCW) and the NPCs are there as exposition.

If you want to get even more confused then TOB takes place in the same beginning location as RTCW despite the town and castle looking completely different within the two years that have passed between the games. Wolf09 also had a handful of pre-release animated comics that put it, RTCW and Wolf3D/SOD in the same continuity and tried to set-up some organisation called the Fourth Reich as the main enemy - this was all scrapped once that game bombed and the IP was handed over to MachineGames. It also showed BJ fighting Hans Grosse in Wolf3D despite the latter appearing in Wolf09 and neither of them recognising the other despite supposedly having fought before. Don't think about it any of this too hard like I did. :shepface:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Game Informer article for The New Colossus mentions that, at least at the the beginning, BJ is suffering from kidney failure after the ending of TNO. Can't wait for Wolfenstein 3 to be the video game version of Crank and have him killing Nazis to power up his Da'at Yichud artificial kidneys.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It was probably the one I read.

quote:

Roth’s been separated from the group, and BJ immediately inquires where his lover Anya is. Roth says she’s fending off the Nazi advances with Kreisau Circle leader Caroline Becker. He tells BJ he’s been bedridden for five months and that his kidneys are failing – a dire predicament for the American war machine that keeps on ticking. Roth knows this won’t prevent BJ from piling up Nazi bodies on his way to Anya, so he gives BJ a map and indicates where he set microwave field traps around the U-boat. BJ can turn these on and off to vaporize unsuspecting invaders should they charge his wheelchair.

The way the sentence is structured made me assume it's talking about BJ.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The remake/remaster of Butcher Bay is also significantly harder since enemy attacks (both melee and bullets) do a lot more damage and you can no longer stun the robot enemies for some stupid reason.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Pre-TNO the earlier Wolfenstein games were pretty comedic "those dumb Nazis!!!" in tone and the story in them was the very definition of an excuse plot for an action game, so it wouldn't have worked at all.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I doubt Hitler (or Himmler) will show up again due to censorship reasons. If MachineGames does go through with making this a trilogy like they've said I can maybe imagine them appearing but in very interchangeable roles to make model/dialogue swapping easy for the censored versions.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's been that way even before Bethesda had the IP rights and the game was new. Probably has to do with the DOS prompt right before the game starts.

GUI fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jun 26, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's weird that people are down on the first level of TNO because aside from the scripted intro it's one of the better levels in the game from a gameplay standpoint. Plenty of optional areas and you're free to backtrack through most of it if you missed something or want to explre. The asylum level is a bit like this but it's extremely small, and the one right after isn't too bad either despite locking you out of the previous area at one point, but afterwards they start getting more linear, scripted and full of points of no return. Hopefully TNC will improve on this aspect.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That level was my least favorite in TNO since there's like 3 parts where BJ survives because of contrived coincidences or does dumb poo poo (that battery bit) and even for a Wolfenstein game it got really dumb. The other reason is that it's a level based around stealth and the AI for it isn't terribly interesting.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

That gameplay section with the robot would've worked better if the environment had been bigger and you could actually hear the firing noise from the mounted gun it has. The sound mixing during that bit is so bad that the thing is drowned out by everything else and feels weak as a result.

I went through the game's voice files around release and found quite a bit of unused fluff dialogue and some more significant stuff. That camp level was seemingly going to have a shoot-out after the robot bit where you'd supposedly have an on-rails section in which you'd shoot from the truck while Set Roth drove and at some point you'd have to get out to clear some Nazi checkpoint. I've thought about making a big compilation with everything (the submarine level originally had another underwater bit) for years but :effort:, so instead have this unused line where BJ talks about his unfortunate use of the word conk after meeting Caroline for the first time.

GUI fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jun 28, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If you can't do that then the third level (the Nazi checkpoint after the Asylum) has a part where you can farm it right after clearing the first area and seeing Grandma shotgun one of the Nazis in the face. Stand right outside the doorway and one will eventually throw a grenade. You can get most grenade/explosive related perks there since there's maybe 6 enemies or so inside the room.

TNO doesn't have too many sections where enemies will start throwing grenades at you, TOB had the AI tweaked and they love it on Uber difficulty though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There doesn't need to be any explanation as to why he keeps surviving stabbings and things falling on his head. He's a 90s video game action hero, that's already enough.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The ending of the franchise should just be a recreation of that Hey Arnold episode.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wolf09 had some weird gimmicks (the Veil powers) and poor decisions (the regenerating health and strangely balanced weapon damage) but some aspects of it were more 90s "old school" than MachineGames' take on the franchise which I'd say should be compared more to early-mid 2000s shooters like Half-Life 2. Quite a few levels allowed you to freely backtrack after you murdered everyone and for the most part the game had an excuse plot with gameplay that stuck almost consistently to Nazi killing with very little in the way of gimmicks and scripted events - no TNO/TOB style levels where the focus is solely on stealth, or half-baked vehicle sections or areas like the Moon level where you can only use two rechargeable guns. Cooler weapons too, and the game didn't insist on removing them between each level.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

New video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI1TVhecBQ4

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Hitler... we meet again. - BJ in Wolfenstein III. Maybe.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

MachineGames' writing is miles ahead of most AAA games but I hope they don't go overboard with all the scripted events and stop and talk sections like the Milkshake Nazi/Frau Engel's train scene/Helga's interrogation (people loved the train one and they're really going with it aren't they) or the incinerator room, underwater Jewish tech cache thingamabobs and such. The best areas of these games for me were the semi-open ended levels where you approach sections your way while you hear BJ's depressive/occasionally tough guy monologues and sometimes get contacted by one of his allies. When they start going heavily into the Half-Life 2/Call of Duty/modern video game route where you're locked into linear events I start falling asleep, much more so during replays where you can do nothing except run/look around the room waiting for characters to shut up and do their thing so you can move on. There was so much raving about the writing once TNO came out and mentions about how the gameplay dragged it down that I'm still slightly cautious until release that the cutscene to gameplay ratio isn't heavily skewed towards the former.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The updated player model animations make the game feel a lot like Riddick and The Darkness, only thing missing is laser sights replacing the crosshair.

Graphics and writing are top notch as expected but hopefully the AI will be improved because it looks really rough. There's multiple parts in the GameSpot video of the intro level and EuroGamer's Roswell one where the enemies don't see BJ when he's standing right in front of them or aren't alerted despite being shot.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

iirc Black Sun was the name of the ~~green dimension~~ from Wolf09.

I wonder if they'll do anything with that Nazi sun powered death beam that's mentioned in one of the TNO newspapers.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Hopefully it won't take 5 minutes to load every time you start it like Doom on PC.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

So I finished a fresh playthrough of Wolfenstein The New Order for the first time since around release. Some random thoughts from a deranged person who has played every post Wolf3D game over 20 times:

- :argh: the shotgun soldiers on Uber. Even with all upgrades there's a couple of sections where they come out of nowhere and you'll get instakilled.
- I can forgive the lack of giant mecha doggos as regular enemies but the robots are barely used in combat despite featuring heavily in advertising and having a cool design. It's also way too easy to cheese the handful of fights against them (including the boss fight in London Nautica) by stunning them with a grenade and shooting them once in the back.
- Those flying drone enemies are barely used either. It seems to be a Wolfenstein tradition to have neat regular enemies that are only used like half a dozen times during the whole campaign, Wolfenstein09 is full of them.
- Hopefully the sequel will stop removing almost every weapon in your arsenal between levels and be more generous with ammo for weapons that aren't the assault rifles. You don't get too many chances to use the shotgun until the final few levels of the game and regular ammo for it is lacking even then.
- The animations for recharging the energy weapons really should've been sped up more.
- The lockpicking/hotwiring minigames should've been available regardless of who you save at the beginning. They barely change anything.
- There's a bizarre hidden upgrade for the Laser weapon in the return to London Nautica level and seemingly it only appears in Wyatt's timeline. It only slightly increases your ammo so you can fire one more shot. :wtc: I have no idea what the deal with it is (development oversight?) and there's not even a tutorial when you pick it up.
- This one bothered me since the first time I played the game: you never get a sense of how big the Kreisau Circle is. The hub level makes it look like what's left is a dozen people at most but later events in the game seem to imply there's a lot more? How did they last so long while BJ and Klaus were driving back to Berlin at the end of the game?
- The music for the final level is way too good for something that's barely audible unless you're wearing headphones.
- The final 20 minutes of the game are still as weird as ever with BJ getting poisoned, almost shrugging it off, nearly passing out in front of Anya & the others while they don't care much, then he's immediately ok afterwards and that plot point is forgotten? Feels like something was cut there. The pacing of the game feels weird at times (that absurdly brief U-boat level).
- I still think BJ and Deathshead killing each other was a fitting conclusion for their conflict (and the game's tone) and would've preferred The New Colossus to star any character from those announced DLC pieces instead.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wonder if they'll use the Joseph Stallion DLC to do their original vision of the Moon level in TNO. From what I've gathered since release from unused audio files, art concepts, hearsay and extrapolation (that 1 minute long outdoor area with 3 flying enemies) it originally had you fighting actual jetpack Nazis on the moon surface and at some point you'd have driven a moon rover.

On the plus side, some of the things cut in TNO were also more fetch quests during the Kreisau Circle levels.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Singularity's development was atrocious and the game came close to being canceled at one point when an Activision rep visited Raven to check on the progress. They could barely get the game running on PS3/360 so it was completely overhauled within a year of release which is impressive.

You can find a couple of videos of the early versions from a year before release online. It originally had third person cutscenes with a voiced main character/different plot/no weapon limit/different environments and characters among other things.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If the mouse aiming in Wolf09 feels weird it's because the game is an obvious console port and the horizontal/vertical aiming have different values by default. You have to edit one of the ini files to fix it iirc.

Edit: https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Wolfenstein#Input_settings

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

According to the Wolfenstein lore™ it's BJ's birthday today. :911: I picked a good time to start my TOB playthrough on the PS4.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It only unlocks a picture of the classic Wolf3D enemies in the concept art section of the main and pause menus.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Unlocks a bunch of mostly dull bonus modes. Off the top of my head:

- No HUD mode on Hard difficulty. I think it's called Walk in the Park.
- 999 Mode. Uber difficulty. Infinite ammo for all weapons/grenades, 999 armour too iirc, health starts at 999 but slowly starts counting down like an overcharge. Fun if you want to tank the FPS by spamming grenades.
- Hardcore mode. Uber difficulty. No armour or health pick ups in levels whatsoever.
- Iron Man mode. Every game has this one nowadays. You die once (or quit) and have to start over from the beginning. The Old Blood has this one too if you finish the game once.

GUI fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 16, 2017

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I guess I messed up on my game purchase because I bought the Old Blood and started playing it before the New Order. Angrily googling "Wolf Old Blood First Level Terrible" brought up a lot of webpages and also a helpful hint on steam that you can go bananas on the super soldiers with the machine gun. I was so, so happy.

What are some general combat tips and hints? I feel like I'm not using my weapons very effectively. I'm not used to barely surviving combat, although I guess I'm cleaning almost all the areas without dying?

The first level of the Old Blood sucks but it picks up significantly after that and level four is easily the highest point of the franchise. Just stealth kill one of the Uber Soldiers and take down the rest by shooting the power source connected to the wires on the ceiling rails if you get spotted.

During combat run between cover and use the leaning function liberally. Wolfenstein was never Doom and the hitscan enemies will kill you easily if you stay out in the open, especially on higher difficulties. Dual wielding makes you sprint significantly slower, more so on TOB where there's no perk to upgrade it, so save it for when there's a crowd of regular enemies grouped together and near you.

Shotgun nazis have a tank on their back that you can shoot (the bolt rifle is good for this) to usually kill them instantly. If not (I assume this has to do with the difficulty level) then a couple more shots should easily do it. If you don't care about saving ammo you can shoot at them until they die, dual shotguns are especially good for this.

Upgraded UberSoldiers can be easily killed by shooting them in their power source to stun them, running up to them to melee the front armour out of them, then shooting them enough times in the heart until they die. If not you can shoot their back socket thing a couple of times to stun them again and instakill them with another melee move. If you don't care about any of this you can shoot at them until they die.

Most of this applies to The New Order too since gameplay is nearly identical, but it's worth mentioning that TOB is harder since there's usually more enemies present and I believe their AI was tweaked a bit, ie. they seem to throw grenades much more often if you stay in the same spot. Areas also tend to be bigger so you can't stick to dual wielding assault rifles most of the time like in TNO.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Most of my TNO playthroughs were spent using dual assault rifles (+LKW for UberSoldiers) and I had to force myself to use anything else. It's a combination of things such as most encounters happening in small-medium sized areas, the perk upgrade that increases your dual wielding sprint speed, assault rifles having the biggest ammo reserve and the game rarely giving you the shotguns/sniper rifles or ammo for them. TOB is, as expected from a pseudo-sequel, better balanced and more refined in general.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Dual wielding the sniper rifle is worth doing once just to experience the hilarious recoil.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

If it's your first playthrough I recommend playing on the difficulty below Uber to get used to the game. Uber itself is pretty fun on subsequent playthroughs (much more so on fresh ones without previous perks) since it forces you to take advantage of BJ's movement, watch your surroundings and quickly move between cover since you can die easily, but there's some awkward difficulty spikes that are pretty annoying if you're new to the game.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Shouldn't it be 1961 tho

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The way upgrades work now is that you can find and collect weapon upgrade kits and spend them on things such as silencers, alternate firing modes, ammo capacity, etc. and they change the look of the weapons.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Another gameplay addition is those mechanical stilts you briefly see during gameplay in the E3 trailer and the recent one. They're called the battle walker and can be used to shoot over cover or hide behind obstacles above you. I'd assume it'd also introduce a double jump mechanic like in Doom.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

The Darkness game made by Starbreeze back in 2007 (jfc it's been a decade already) is pretty similar to Wolfenstein The Old Blood in tone and themes. Most of the same people were part of the development team too.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

is it part of the power armor or a new robo body? i need more trailers drat it.

imgur is hosed for me so here's some direct links

http://eatchain.com/garbage/Wolfenlegs1.jpg

http://eatchain.com/garbage/Wolfenlegs2.jpg

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm curious about some of the loading splash screens when you die still featuring Deathshead If they brought him back in the same fashion as the Joker in Arkham Knight I can't say I'd complain. :spooky:
Regarding BJ's collar: his skin definitely looks darker underneath regardless of lighting in each scene. I guess that theory of him getting an artificial body might end up being true.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

quote:

Also, is the song that plays in the background of that tweet up on YouTube?

That Nazi March 10 second tune was also used in one of the first game's trailers back in early 2014 but there's no full version of it afaik.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Eh, hitscan enemies are a Wolfenstein staple and they're also very heavily tied to old school FPS' the same way projectile enemies are. You can't exactly have a wide array of projectile based enemies when most of them are human beings carrying guns.

The shotgun enemies are unbalanced bullshit but you can shoot them in the back just like the ones in TOB, the tanks are smaller however.

I agree with the rest, though. The story is nice the first time around, but ids Wolfenstein was always a shootbang (with some stealth) focused franchise and the scripted events and gimmick areas are annoying on replays. The encounter with Engel on the train all the way up to the prison breakout is dulllll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Most of this was mentioned/shown already, but here's a new article on weapons and abilities.