Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Oh god oh poo poo it's drooling. I will have one (or seven)

I need to get a chicken coop, too. Not to feed them to any slimes, just to have the little bug-eyed fuckers around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Letting the chickens (plus a rooster, of course) just roam around your ranch will eventually lead to having so many chickens that it can tank your framerate.

It can be kind of a risky play, but stepping out your front door to see a horde of goofy birds just ambling around the place is pretty great

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
A thing that I've heard suggested that works for me is simply to dump a bunch of free-range Phosphor Slimes into the Grotto, and setting up a bunch of Cubefruit (their favorite food) gardens. I'm tempted to do largos in there, but the same person who recommended this strategy said that the Grotto is a bit glitchy for them.

My other 'main slimes' at the moment (I don't have much unlocked) are Pink Tabbys, Phosphor Rocks, Rad Crystal, and Honey Booms.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

A thing that I've heard suggested that works for me is simply to dump a bunch of free-range Phosphor Slimes into the Grotto, and setting up a bunch of Cubefruit (their favorite food) gardens. I'm tempted to do largos in there, but the same person who recommended this strategy said that the Grotto is a bit glitchy for them.

My other 'main slimes' at the moment (I don't have much unlocked) are Pink Tabbys, Phosphor Rocks, Rad Crystal, and Honey Booms.

That's what I did. Combined Tabby/Phosphor slimes with four cube trees and there's like 100+plorts there whenever I check it. I'm kind of suprised I haven't crashed the game cause there are a ton of slimes there, even more than the gif suggests.

a more zoomed out look

Sivek fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Aug 5, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
[X] Tabbies are my favourite kind of slime, but Phosphor Tabby Slimes, with their tiny flitty wings and cat everything else take the cake for maximum cute in my opinion :3::hf::3:

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Oh boy I might have hosed up. I found me some Hunter Slimes, saw they were carnivores, and thought about my new free-range cat ranch I unlocked (whatever the region that spawns wild chickens is called.) I figured Hunter-Tabbies would be a great hybrid! I did not figure that Hunter-Tabbies would be openly hostile until fed every time I visit. I hope they don't find their way into my central ranch-- the path between the two is kind of serpentine, and I suspect the devs made that corridor hard for slimes to cross because sometimes they DO break out. Especially the ones that can activate Predator Mode.

On the bright side, if I sell enough of these Hunter Plorts I might be able to buy me a respectable avatar!

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Haha, you showed a bunch of cats an infinite supply of chickens and now they've seized the supply for themselves. The slimes are revolting!

Worse comes to worst, just throw rock plort or something in there and let nature take its course

Sivek posted:

That's what I did. Combined Tabby/Phosphor slimes with four cube trees and there's like 100+plorts there whenever I check it. I'm kind of suprised I haven't crashed the game cause there are a ton of slimes there, even more than the gif suggests.

a more zoomed out look

I think... I think that may be t-too many slimes :ohdear:

Knorth fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 5, 2017

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Knorth posted:

I think it's just right and I'm envious I did not consider that yet

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Knorth posted:

Impossible, there can never be too many slimes.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Knorth posted:

what a bad opinion to have, op

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

What amount of chickens do you guys tend to leave in a co-op when you harvest them? I tend to leave one roostro and five hens so it fills up faster but I wonder if it could be more efficient.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they stop breeding pretty much immediately once there's about a dozen in a pen, so i usually just take every adult hen barring one of each type

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sivek posted:

a more zoomed out look

Have you had any of the supposed Largo glitching I discussed?

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Have you had any of the supposed Largo glitching I discussed?

Nah, no issues. Slimes running free and happy and not falling through the floor or anything.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
How do I stop the pink slimes from eating all my chickens? I made a chicken coop because I found a cat slime and was keeping it in my gun while I got a chicken farm going but some escaped and now I have no chickens

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Brasseye posted:

How do I stop the pink slimes from eating all my chickens? I made a chicken coop because I found a cat slime and was keeping it in my gun while I got a chicken farm going but some escaped and now I have no chickens

You upgrade your pen with high walls and the air net so they don't bounce out of there.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm just saying, how do you even feed that many slimes... just spray a full tank of chicken/fruit into the air every other day?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Farm plots to provide a ton of fruit / veggies / whatever. One of the ranch expansions opens up to a place that has a lot of fruit spawns, as well as carrots and chickens. It also has four more plots, I make them into farm plots as well.

There is a slime pen upgrade that adds an autofeeder. If it is completely overflowing with slimes even after the high walls + net upgrade it won't be able to keep up, but it helps when there is a dozen or so.

You don't really need 200 pink slimes on your ranch. I can understand the appeal of having that many, but there are so many other slimes to find!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for a period of time there i thought i would never have a use for pink slimes/plorts ever again and that they were just a nuisance when i was out trying to collect other things

then i unlocked slime science

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I played some of this when it was in the Humble Monthly Bundle, has the early game changed enough from them to v1 for it to be worth starting a fresh save or should I load up my old one?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Sivek posted:

a more zoomed out look

how the gently caress do you people collect plorts w/o the auto collector. thats too tedious man.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

I played some of this when it was in the Humble Monthly Bundle, has the early game changed enough from them to v1 for it to be worth starting a fresh save or should I load up my old one?

eh, not particularly, though there's sort of a story mode-like thing with logs scattered throughout the areas that you might miss if you just go to the areas you haven't been to yet. Then again there are more things to spend your money/plorts on like the science stuff, additional ranch expansions and color customization. I actually haven't played since before the glass desert area came out so maybe there's more differences.

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

how the gently caress do you people collect plorts w/o the auto collector. thats too tedious man.

There's so many plorts that it takes like a minute tops to get 50 of both types since each of those slimes is putting out 4 plorts. Mainly though I just like how it looks.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Good model, even though I don't really like the bright red nose. Maybe the game's twist is that she's actually allergic to slimes? That'd be funny.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I now have a tabby hybrid of every slime. I am now the ultimate space slime-cat lady. :3:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Good model, even though I don't really like the bright red nose. Maybe the game's twist is that she's actually allergic to slimes? That'd be funny.

Indie devs love Tumblr nose for some reason.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I just started messing around in the glass desert and I did not like it at first because I found it hard to navigate like the ruins area but I figured out the gimmick and it was cool.

I do wish that areas just had unlockable teleports behind slime key doors instead of having to make them because I'm out of teleports and I'm long way from home. The whole extractor/drill stuff is a grind the game could do without.

edit: literally after I posted this there was a patch that makes extractors and stuff take much less time to extract, as well as making gardens infinite respawning. also maps plus the items necessary to make your first teleporter behind the lab in a pod. all of these are good things!

Sivek fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 8, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Man, I'd kill for more finesse with the auto-feeder. I've generally got 4-5 largos in a pen, and no matter which setting I have the thing set at, I see a lot of food on the floors of every corral.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Aw, I'm a little disappointed that they made gardens infinite. I genuinely liked having to plan ahead a little to keep things going or maybe change crops once the 'season' ended, it never seemed like a big deal if I was occasionally not prepared for a lapsed garden. Like my farming games to feel hands on, even if everyone else seems to be all about that automation... :(

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

I am become slime; destroyer of fruit

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Knorth posted:

Aw, I'm a little disappointed that they made gardens infinite. I genuinely liked having to plan ahead a little to keep things going or maybe change crops once the 'season' ended, it never seemed like a big deal if I was occasionally not prepared for a lapsed garden. Like my farming games to feel hands on, even if everyone else seems to be all about that automation... :(

Hands on is cool up until the point where you have to juggle time doing farming poo poo and between doing other fun stuff. If I want hands on i'll play farming simulator.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got this game yesterday and missed 2 meals because I couldn't stop playing it.

I have a corral of crystal slimes and its basically a non-stop moshpit. I also have a box of exploding cats.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Man, I'd kill for more finesse with the auto-feeder. I've generally got 4-5 largos in a pen, and no matter which setting I have the thing set at, I see a lot of food on the floors of every corral.

It's a tradeoff for the larger ease it is to feed a favorite food. I usually don't largo stuff, although i'm considering changing that up since i'm low on plot space. I do wish there were more plots to use

dogstile posted:

Hands on is cool up until the point where you have to juggle time doing farming poo poo and between doing other fun stuff. If I want hands on i'll play farming simulator.

The infinite change is good since i don't have to keep a silo with a handful of garden foods in it anymore in case i miss reseeding.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It'll be especially good for phase lemons, since you need to have your timing on point to harvest those.

In fact with this change I could probably ditch my silo altogether. Slime science makes it kind of redundant anyway.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh heck yeah, infinite tree/crop is just what I needed to get back into this.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

It'll be especially good for phase lemons, since you need to have your timing on point to harvest those.

In fact with this change I could probably ditch my silo altogether. Slime science makes it kind of redundant anyway.

I'm considering just largoing my group of quantums. Phase lemons are too irritating and i'd rather just have an easier crop to favorite them with.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Unrelated to the below but rather important: :siren: Monomi pushed an update two hours ago that made me lose ~5 days after regularly falling through the ranch's floor :siren:. Not sure if I'm the only one, and it resolved itself with a quit-and-restart, but be careful.

I found this tweet about Slime Largo names, and it got me wondering: do you have any specific names for certain Largos?

Since the image is a bit small and hard to read, here's the filled-in ones in text:

Pink Boom is a Pepto Abysmal
Pink Dervish is a Pepto Planet
Pink Rock is a Jelly Roll
Pink Honey is a Coffin Candy
Pink Tabby is a Hello Kitty
Pink Phosphor is a Night Light
Honey Tangle is an Agave
Honey Mosaic is an Amber
Honey Tabby is a Calico
Honey Rock is a Rock Candy
Honey Dervish is a Taffy
Boom Tangle is a Fire Flower
Boom Phosphor is a Fire Fly
Boom Honey is a Fool's Gold
Boom Tabby is a Hell Cat
Boom Rock is a Pop Rock
Quantum Mosaic is a Hologram
Quantum Tangle is a Marigold
Quantum Dervish is a Planet X
Quantum Tabby is a Schrodinger's Cat
Phosphor Mosaic is a Disco Ball
Phosphor Tangle is a Piccolo
Phosphor Tabby is a Thunder Cat
Phosphor Rock is a Glowstone
Phosphor Honey is a Honey Bee
Rad Dervish is a Kyrpton
Rock Tabby is a Dust Bunny
Tabby Dervish is a Cattelite
Tabby Mosaic is a Nyan Cat
Hunter Dervish is a Caturn
Hunter Mosaic is a Predator
Tangle Mosaic is a Glass Rose
Dervish Mosaic is a Celestial
Crystal Mosaic is a Diamond

Edited to satify my OCD more than I could in Excel proper

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 9, 2017

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Obviously Rad Boom Slimes are Nuclear Bombs/Nukes. Or something similar; Oppenheimers, Tsar Bombas, etc. Some sort of nuke joke basically.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 9, 2017

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Obviously Rad Boom Slimes are Nuclear Bombs/Nukes. Or something similar; Oppenheimers, Tsar Bombas, etc. Some sort of nuke joke basically.

Yup.
I always called Boom Honey slimes Taste Explosions.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Pink Tangle slimes are tomatoes and that's a fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Never mind, answered my own question. Now that I've got everything sussed out, might as well mention that (after a madness-inducing amount of using excel to shift things around in my head to a way I'd like), I finally settled on my slime breakdown, now that I've got every type somewhere on the ranch and I only had to decide on which hybrids look the nicest:

Lab:
- Pink

Docks:
- Water
- Fire

Grotto:
- Honey Bees (Phosphor / Honey), freerange

Overgrowth:
- Bublacat (Tangle/Hunter), freerange

Main Ranch:
- Uraniums (Rad/Rock)
- Schrodinger's Cat (Quantum / Tabby)