Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Floyd "Money" Mayweather vs. Conor "The Notorious One" McGregor - Time To Fight The Battle Of Who Could Care Less

Current status: Mayweather's promotional company has booked Madison Square Garden for the 26th of August.

I don't care enough about this to make a proper OP for it, I only care enough to get it out of the UFC thread.

Here's a photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Sooo hyped. Can't wait to see "cold" Conor McGregor put the lights out on Floyd.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Fight facts
1. Floyd never knocks anyone out
2. Conor knocks almost everybody out
3. Floyd is a dumb name

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

And I thought that Guardian journalist who had his glasses broken by the Montanan rep had found the year's coolest, funniest, and most professionally lucrative way of getting punched in the face. Looks like The Secret is real.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
No way it happens in MSG due to the tax situation/Floyd's history in Vegas. Mayweather Promotions also has a hold on August 26th at MGM Grand Garden Arena :tinfoil: Somehow doubt that's it too though, a fight this "big" has to be at T-Mobile arena.
'
http://www.badlefthook.com/2017/6/12/15782596/mayweather-mcgregor-slated-for-aug-26

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

No way it happens in MSG due to the tax situation/Floyd's history in Vegas.

I think Memento just got his Garden Arenas confused.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Also... Fight still stupid. Floyd will win. Won't be cool. Still gonna watch because I have no morals.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

So, like, is McGregor allowed to like takedown and punch the poo poo out of Floyd from a mount or whatever? I'm not a boxing or MMA guy but I would think taking a MMA guy and making him only box would be a serious disadvantage in most cases, and vice-versa for a boxer but moreso.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cabbit posted:

So, like, is McGregor allowed to like takedown and punch the poo poo out of Floyd from a mount or whatever? I'm not a boxing or MMA guy but I would think taking a MMA guy and making him only box would be a serious disadvantage in most cases, and vice-versa for a boxer but moreso.

No, and yes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Cabbit posted:

It's going to be boxing in a ring. Conor is very likely to get backed into a corner and knocked out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Let us not forget that Conor was once handily outstruck by Nathan Diaz.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Cabbit posted:

McGregor needs Floyd lightyears more than Floyd needs McGregor, so the fight could only possibly happen under Floyd's terms.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

The biggest question to me is, if this happens, does Conor ever fight again

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Conor's chief strategy will be to make as much money as possible.

I mean, I suppose there's a chance Floyd might be struck by lightning 0.1 seconds into the first round and give Conor the TKO, but I don't think he's particularly concerned about winning the fight, just all the money it's would make him.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Memento posted:

Floyd "Money" Mayweather vs. Conor "The Notorious One" McGregor - Time To Fight The Battle Of Who Could Care Less
It's couldn't :argh:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Everybody's gonna watch this fight because it's too absurd to not see, but boy will it be absurd.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Who were those people convinced Conor was good for the sport and why did they think that?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Eli Wiggum posted:

no it isn't you dumb rear end

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

there's no one in Conor's nickname

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I know approximately gently caress all about legit punchsports but Conor doesn't REALLY think he has a chance, does he? Does anyone think that?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Casual fans do. Conor doesn't, but he'd probably still train boxing if the fight if the fight got made instead of just sitting on his rear end.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
He's gonna try and probably believes he can win but he's not going to be upset when he loses

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I know approximately gently caress all about legit punchsports but Conor doesn't REALLY think he has a chance, does he? Does anyone think that?

He has a chance at cashing the biggest paycheck of his life, which is the only thing that matters here.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TheReverend posted:

I think Memento just got his Garden Arenas confused.

Eli Wiggum posted:

Josuke Higashikata posted:

there's no one in Conor's nickname

I don't care enough about this fight to actually get the details right, sorry

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

On the miracle chance he wins: "i'm the best fighter ever" +£50 million in the bank
When he loses: "I'm a double weight world champion in MMA, I just fought the greatest boxer of all time and gave him a good fight, what's everyone else doing? I'm the best fighter ever" +£50 million in the bank
Fight doesn't happen: "Floyd's scared. I'm the best fighter ever"

there's no lose scenario for Conor here.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg
I hope this fight happens with UFC PPV because Fight Pass PPVs in Korea are 15-20 bucks

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Snowman_McK posted:

Who were those people convinced Conor was good for the sport and why did they think that?

He's funny and has good fights.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Snowman_McK posted:

He's one of the best fighters around and is a promotional machine

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

On the miracle chance he wins: "i'm the best fighter ever" +£50 million in the bank
When he loses: "I'm a double weight world champion in MMA, I just fought the greatest boxer of all time and gave him a good fight, what's everyone else doing? I'm the best fighter ever" +£50 million in the bank
Fight doesn't happen: "Floyd's scared. I'm the best fighter ever"

there's no lose scenario for Conor here.

Oh don't get me wrong, I know Conor's motivation and more power to him, I just...see no intrigue in the fight whatsoever.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
there is a 100% chance that an enormous ego is going to be completely embarrassed

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detroit_Dogg posted:

He's one of the best fighters around and is a promotional machine

At the small cost of the legitimacy of the lightweight division and actual lightweight title fights.

Those two things are of immense benefit to Conor. I'm asking about the benefit to the sport. Because PPV buys outside of him and Ronda are down and the title picture in half the divisions is either hosed or dire.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I know Conor's motivation and more power to him, I just...see no intrigue in the fight whatsoever.

From the perspective of actual sport and competition there's absolutely none; when you think of it more as the combat sports equivalent of King Kong vs Godzilla, that's where the intrigue is. It doesn't matter that the fight doesn't make any goddamn sense, people are just jazzed by the idea of two megastars fighting.

That said, all my not-that-into-boxing friends were certain Pacquiao would beat Mayweather so it's not like you can't absolutely get people to believe McGregor would magically kill him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

there is a 100% chance that an enormous ego is going to be completely embarrassed

I don't think it's out of the question that both somehow manage to embarrass themselves.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

At the small cost of the legitimacy of the lightweight division and actual lightweight title fights.

Those two things are of immense benefit to Conor. I'm asking about the benefit to the sport. Because PPV buys outside of him and Ronda are down and the title picture in half the divisions is either hosed or dire.

when you really think about it, sport is just athletes competing for the entertainment of the general public

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So when is this loving idiot going to defend his bullshit title?

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 13, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh Doctor Gonzo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

lol if you think this fight is going to be anything but terrible

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

I don't think it's out of the question that both somehow manage to embarrass themselves.

I am hoping for a double ko

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Conor will get destroyed. That said, I would love to see him absolutely murder Mayweather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah putting aside for a second that Mayweather is a serial woman beater and unrepentant shithead, he's a world class defensive boxer and Conor isn't going to do poo poo to him. This will be more boring than the Pacquiao fight and anyone paying money for it is fooling themselves.

• Locked thread