Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The best part of this match will be making straight up dollar for dollar bets with friends who dksab and think McGregor has a punchers chance or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

JaySB posted:

I'm starting to think that the only way Floyd loses this fight is if he cares more about money than 50-1.

It'd be 49-1 if he loses. This would be Floyd's 50th fight which is just one more reason for him to take it seriously.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The Marciano "record" isn't really a boxing record. I'll make a more detailed post when at a computer and not a phone, but for history's sake 50-0 is more of a pretty number thing than a boxing record thing.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Some followup on why the Marciano record isn't a huge deal in boxing:

- Most fans don't think much of Marciano's record of opponents to begin with. Marciano had less than 10 world title fights and arguably competed in one of the weaker heavyweight eras. He's not considered an all-time-great heavyweight in the same way that Muhammad Ali or Joe Louis are. Marciano retired early at 32 years old and I think most fans feel that if he had kept fighting instead he probably would have lost to the likes of Floyd Patterson or Sonny Liston.

- The Marciano "record" is very specific: Marciano has the best "unblemished" record of any retired world champion; in other words he has the most wins of any retired champ who never lost or drew a fight. Plenty of other fighters have racked up bigger winning streaks while active, and as far as undefeated/unblemished streaks go, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr. holds that record with 87 wins before controversially drawing with Pernell Whitaker.

- Even among undefeated retired champs Marciano doesn't hold the best winning record; that one goes to Ricardo Lopez with 51 wins, 0 losses and just one draw.

It's no small feat to go 50-0 in boxing, certainly not against the level of competition Mayweather has fought. But 50-0 or not, he'll already go down in history as a way better fighter than Marciano.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 15, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

candide posted:

Which Buffer is going to do the introductions?

It'll probably be Jimmy Lennon Jr. who does most of the Showtime fights.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

No doubt Floyd will win, but he's not doing it by knockout is he? Conor has some chin on him and Floyd has brittle hands doesn't he?

Counterpunching is a thoughtless reflex for Mayweather. Unless he got really old in retirement, he's going to hit McGregor and probably more cleanly than he's hit most of the professional boxers he's fought lately. I would have trouble believing that McGregor will be better than for example Canelo Alvarez at avoiding Mayweather's right crosses.

It's hard to say but my personal feeling is that whatever defensive conditioning McGregor has isn't going to compare to what a professional boxer who started the sport at age 13 and fought for twelve years might have. He may even have bad defensive habits that can be exploited.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Swap Mayweather for Pacquiao. Does this fight get more competitive, or less?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I hope Adelaide "Canelo won six rounds against Mayweather" Byrd ends up judging this fight, she's what this match deserves.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Oh wow you're right. All the bad judges are blurring together for me.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was talking with a friend of mine and we agreed the best worst outcome for this fight would be if Floyd dominates the fight 12-0 only for the cards to go to a draw.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

What's an example of a really good boxing match to demonstrate the difference between 'punches hard' and 'good boxer'?

Would the Holyfield/Tyson fights count?

Mayweather-Maidana I is somewhat relevant for this. Marcos Maidana is a hard hitting pressure fighter and had some success against Floyd in the first fight.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Honestly I think this fight will look a lot like Floyd-Canelo.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Ali-Foreman too. A must watch for anyone who has ever wondered about the origins of rope-a-dope.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My roommate bet me $100 even money that McGregor will win.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

He's okay for a play-by-play guy. He's not the most knowledgeable about boxing and comes up with some contrived metaphors, but he also brings a lot of enthusiasm into his casts and it's obvious he's put a lot of work into learning about the sport and its fighters. I didn't really like him when he first started out but I think he's gotten a lot better in the last few years.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Mayweather had a six fight deal where he was making $30 million per fight guaranteed as a floor, plus PPV revenue.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

#6: Seismic activity can strike at any time.

We all know that Vegas is near enough to the San Andreas fault to where, if the Big One were ever to occur, surely some of the force of the aftershock would be felt as far away as Nevada. Now, Mayweather is renowned for his footwork and crafty movement, but supposing such an earthquake were to hit right as the fight was taking place. At that moment, who's to say Mayweather might not lose his footing, and fall face first into a Conor McGregor right hand? At that point it would be an early night for Mayweather. I'm not saying this event is likely, but it's certainly a factor to keep in mind for the fight, and one that any savvy bettor will take into account going into August 26th.

#7: McGregor's fans are very loud.

Consider the deafening roar of eighty million Irishmen in one room. What man, all-time-great boxer or not, wouldn't be intimidated and thrown off his mental game by such a ruckus? Everyone knows that 90% of outside boxing depends on having a stable balance, but that delicate balance could be thrown off by crowds of passionate McGregor fans assaulting Mayweather's inner ear. Conor McGregor, of course, is well used to the incredible din of his fans, and has even used it to great effect in his MMA career. They don't call him "Holy Noise God" for nothing. Speaking of...

#8: Floyd is a sinner who has divine retribution coming.

Let's face it: God exists. He's a wrathful God. And He does not appreciate men who abuse women, in any way shape or fashion. There can be no doubt in anyone's mind that Floyd Mayweather is on His naughty list, but if that's the case then why wait so long to provide holy punishment against the arrogant Floyd? The answer is simple: God is making sure Floyd Mayweather faces the biggest fall possible. After all, what could possibly be a worse fate than making a nine-figure payday in a fight you then go on to publicly lose? It would be the end of Floyd Mayweather's career and a truly unjust man would finally get the ending to his career he deserves. If you don't think God could do it, just remind yourself of the very real possibility of earthquakes.

#9: North Korea tensions at an all time high.

If you've been following Floyd Mayweather for several decades, as I have, then you already know how important of an issue global stability is to the boxing superstar. Floyd Mayweather infamously retired back in 2007 in protest of George W. Bush's mishandling of the Iraq War and destabilization of the Middle East. With North Korean tensions higher than they've ever been, it's unquestionable that Mayweather will go into the fight preoccupied and distracted. Conor McGregor meanwhile thrives on international conflict, and has even said numerous times that thinking about war makes him better at punching.

#10. McGregor could bring a gun.

Hear me out on this one. Yes, this fight is sanctioned according to boxing rules. Yes, McGregor will surely be checked several times over by the Nevada State Athletic Commission for any signs of an unfair competitive advantage. And yes, it would be terribly unsportsmanlike for McGregor to bring a loaded weapon to a sporting event. But, and this is some real talk here folks, this is a fight more than anything else, and in a fight you do whatever you need to do to win. Just last week a notable boxer won his fight with an illegal punch that was missed by the referee. McGregor would be well-advised to take lessons of that fight, and devise a game plan where he can get off an illegal bullet without the ref catching him.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Please pay me money for my hard hitting sports analysis.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

She wouldn't be the first woman Floyd's choked out.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Now That's What I Call Boxing

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Does anyone know the price of this? I have been assuming it will be one hundred dollars.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

remusclaw posted:

The most entertaining possibility for this fight is that McGregor can't touch Mayweather and Mayweather won't touch McGregor beyond what he needs to win each round. How many rounds is the match going to be?

It's a 12 round fight, which is a big advantage for Mayweather. Most professional boxers spend years working their way up with 4-round, 6-round, 8-round and eventually 10-round fights and it's really only world title level fights that go all 12 rounds. Even then there are plenty of fighters that can't maintain pace across all 12 rounds and need to "take a round off" here and there. I think the question here isn't whether McGregor will gas out but what happens when he does.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The ref will stop a fight if it looks like a fighter is obviously collapsing from exhaustion. That also sorta falls under the "defend yourself at all times" rule. If you're too tired to defend yourself, let alone throw a punch, the ref will step in and wave the match off even if you don't get dropped.

Most boxers don't last long enough to get there because usually if they're that fatigued they'll be lowering their hands anyway and if their opponent is any good they'll exploit that.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If this fight ends like Mayweather-Ortiz did it will be well worth the asking price of $100 to see.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Bluedeanie posted:

It's a drat shame all these people willing to put money on McGregor in 1:1 personal bets and yet none of them live near me

I'm up to $200 now.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

https://twitter.com/Marcstein0/status/880547766178467840

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Paying full price for this pay per view is the real bannable offense.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nifft posted:

Number of different opponents he has beat.

It's 47. Castillo and Maidana both got rematches to put Floyd's record at 49-0. I dunno where the 48 number came from either.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'll be watching this at a friend's place so technically I'll be supporting this fight financially, ugh.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

If it makes you feel better, my two boxing bets were Bradley over Pacquiao in the first rematch and Rios over Alvarado in their first rematch. At least I bet low.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I am not usually in favor of pirating fights (if you enjoy watching someone get beaten up you should at least try to support their career in some way) but for this match I highly encourage you to find a way to watch without paying. I already told the guy hosting this fight that I'm not paying for the fight and that my $5 is just beer money.

I plan on getting near blackout drunk so that I can enjoy this farce in the moment, forget what happened overnight and then enjoy it again fresh the next day.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

my friend used to live with badou jack years ago, apparently he's very nice so i hope he wins.

He's arguably the best fighter at the weight class he just left (168) and there are a lot of big names for him at light heavyweight (175) if he makes the adjustment well. Nathan Cleverly is a pretty good first test at light heavyweight, he's a former and current world titleholder at that weight but has had consistency and dedication issues in the past.

The whole undercard is pretty good tbh. Gervonta Davis is supposed to be a real talent so I'm looking forward to seeing him fight.

The Ninth Layer fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Imagine how Miguel Cotto feels

Still feel bad about missing him fight here.

• Locked thread