Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you're coming at this as a mma fan, you might be surprised by how much wrestling is in boxing:

https://youtu.be/T8gGOwgr4XQ

And how good mayweather is at it:

https://youtu.be/v2wW7zqH87Y

If there's one thing I expect McGregor to bring it's competency in wrestling, and I'm curious to see how that effects mayweather's control inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't keep up with mma and assumed McGregor, as a champ, had at least "good" skills at the stand up clinch, and that a good clinch game by ufc standards would be above average when brought into boxing. I guess I made a mistake to think this multi belt guy didn't had big flaws in a large part of the mma skill set? Or am I overestimating how much stand up clinch work from mma translates to boxing?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm increasingly of the opinion that if you stick to the rules in boxing you're a chump, which is a real 180 from me normally insisting on fair play until I sound like some screeching sperg.

Edit: McGregor by standing guillotine.

https://youtu.be/tbxsg04htf4

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 15, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

The Ninth Layer posted:

Ali-Foreman too. A must watch for anyone who has ever wondered about the origins of rope-a-dope.

*jumps out of the bushes* Did someone say "rope a dope" ? Here's a great video on it, it's also the video that made me realize how many subtleties are revealed when a world-class boxing match is slowed down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1_JW3wnrik

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Work Friend Keven posted:

That post is perfect for boxing fans, its extremely long and uninteresting.

George Foreman says good boxing is just like ninth layers posting; the better it is the fewer people understand it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo he is! 18W 3L! This guy fought Ken Norton??

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Highlight need more of mayweather not being hit. In particular his 'I will lean back from this straight right and hit hit you with my own straight right"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

I've been finding that the estimated chance of success that I give to Conor is directly proportional to the amount of time since I last watched any Mayweather footage. He literally has no chance. He'd have no chance against anyone who Mayweather clowns in any of those vids.

It's Ricky hatton, both for his style and trappings, that makes me feel like we've already seen a technically better version of this fight. Watch out for those check hooks conner...

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok so I have never seen Conner fight, only vaguely knew he was thought to be a big puncher, and assumed he would be aggressive. I...don't know poo poo about boxing?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Surely that's not full speed? Like he's slowing down for pacing or because he's tired or something?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A prospective Floyd opponent strategy should NOT be to have more "ring intelligence" than one of, if not the, saviest boxers of his era.

Especially if he's never boxed before.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

big money big clit posted:

but if he's fighting a guy with no defense he will let his hands go.

Honestly though I think Floyd will carry him because it's better for the fight as a money maker and he doesn't give a poo poo about ~the fans.

He... may not be wrong? Boxers get screwed, but not Floyd. He's doing something right.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 5, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I really hope so. I'd get a sort of carnival show appeal from seeing a real thrashing, champs used to do that more right? Hell, just grab someone out of the crowd.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Also the rounds are 3 minutes long?

And I mean, besides that, it's not about which is more tiring (and secretly which combat sport is better); it's that Conor isn't a boxer and is now tasked with competing against the best boxer. Would you expect a Rugby player, even a great one, to just show up to an American football game after half a year of practice and clean house?

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 6, 2017

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are you going by the compubox that numbers that apparently separate power punches and jabs? I'm kind of curious when (if ever) compubox stats say a jab becomes a power punch. Is every lead hand straight punch at the start of a combination a jab in these stats?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So here's an actual question ; before big fights I like learn about how each fighter would win, and what it would look like when they're winning. You know, general strategies to watch for, things that should sound an alarm bell that you're seeing a fight work out as one fighter wanted.

Like for example, I think the earlier rounds are the most important for McGregor; his best bet will be to blitz Mayweather in the first round or two, hit him with something unusual and then follow it up with a hard finisher. So maybe look for McGregor to land an awkward but surprising punch and then follow it up with an entirely unrestrained flurry; likewise look for Mayweather to suddenly look old fighting a man 12 year younger. Be particularly worried if fast undercard KOs send them into the ring cold.

Now more likely, look for Mayweather to be very cautious at the beginning, stay well away from McGregor and avoiding trading punches. As the rounds go on and McGregor tires and his punches get sloppier and more predictable, look for Mayweather to counter punch.

What are some other possibilities? Neither fighter is eager to throw because they're both counter punchers? McGregor moving forward into closer range but not actually punching (I believe Mayweather has shown he's not at his best against that strategy)?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Edit: beaten, my thumbs as slow and clumsy as Conor's bag work.

Who would the little gloves benefit? I say mayweather, because he's not known as a big puncher but I did expect him to land reliably. Won't help Conor because he's just gonna be too out of position for it to matter.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, amateurs and people just practicing don't wear 16 oz gloves because of all the hard hitting they plan to do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, YES.

Needs to be the intro music.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
When do the undercards start? The various news articles aren't making it clear to me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yes, there is an under card, but all the articles seem to show when the main event is expected to start. I need to know when the fights actually begin.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Time: Pay-per-view card will begin at 9 p.m. ET

There we go : )

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Every fight 1 round ko, main event starts hours early. without a warm up, mayweather blitzed and tko'd after "a series of unanswered yoga poses".

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
People guess 10 or 11 ET main event, depending.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

There is also a pre event card that starts at 7 on fox

Does that include fights? My work break room has cable but my antennae doesn't get fox.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I think it was Jose Torres who said he only got knocked out once and then retired, because he couldn't stand to have his little boy see him helpless in the ring. Michael moore said something similar leaving the venue after fighting foreman, these young men often have very young children and this weighs on them :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
:toxx: Mayweather will win

• Locked thread