Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lloyd Boner posted:

I hope this fight happens with UFC PPV because Fight Pass PPVs in Korea are 15-20 bucks

lol it's probably going to be on Showtime PPV and cost $100 :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Lol TJ's weird stance really don't work in that environment. He just leads with his face and looks likes a chump

1st AD fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 14, 2017

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Can't wait for the split draw and the inevitable trilogy due to corrupt judging

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

If you're coming at this as a mma fan, you might be surprised by how much wrestling is in boxing:

https://youtu.be/T8gGOwgr4XQ

And how good mayweather is at it:

https://youtu.be/v2wW7zqH87Y

If there's one thing I expect McGregor to bring it's competency in wrestling, and I'm curious to see how that effects mayweather's control inside.

I suspect Floyd outworks Conor in a boxing clinch, easily.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kills the greatest featherweight of all time in 13 seconds: "Garbage"
Knocks the gently caress out of the Lightweight champion while barely being touched: "LOL this guy can't even throw a punch"
Gets choked out by Nate Diaz: "Holy gently caress, Conor might just be legit..."

Nate Diaz would easily defeat Jose Junior Aldo.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

floyd has not defeated his greatest foe

illiteracy

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How can a man be expected to defeat Conor McGregor if he can't even read The Secret!?!?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

coconono posted:

I wanna see Conor win and become the world's greatest draw, just to run the UFC into bankruptcy by upping his asking price to insane levels.

the UFC is already going to go bankrupt because of the combination of debt and the biggest draws being people I've never heard of or care about

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Rubellavator posted:

Can anyone imagine a scenario where they both lose cause that's what I'm hoping for

1st AD posted:

Can't wait for the split draw and the inevitable trilogy due to corrupt judging

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Vengarr posted:

Is there any chance that the fight will be as entertaining as the thread?

Nope.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

chaleski posted:

The fight will be so lopsided that not even an Adelaid Byrd or Sensei Cecil Peoples could gently caress it up

famous last words

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Goldpanners v. Honkers is definitely a more legitimate and exciting contest than Mayweather v. McGregor, I agree

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How is Mauro on boxing cards? I don't think I've seen a Showtime production in years.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think Conor could defeat Tom Brady in the NFL.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok so I have never seen Conner fight, only vaguely knew he was thought to be a big puncher, and assumed he would be aggressive. I...don't know poo poo about boxing?

Conor's setups depend a lot on MMA's rulesets - he kicks a lot to set a particular kind of range and then zaps dudes with a counter as they close that gap with his freakishly long reach. He's not going to be able to do that against Floyd.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

That guy can leap

my favorite part is how he swims in for the BRH, and then immediately follows up with a takedown.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't know poo poo about boxing but it looks like he loses his balance at one point.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Skip My Posts posted:

star wars episode 1: the phantom menace

:vince:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Gay Horney posted:

I always hear the arguments that Conor is bigger or southpaw or that he hits hard… and it’s true.
But I don’t think these are his best weapons. At all.

I understand Conor might be anoying to some, but he’s undeniably also an unusually smart dude.
He’s whitty, and funny. A sniper. And that’s how he beat a lot of dudes before even fighting, and how he became a huge star.
He is well surrounded, first of all by John Kavanagh who is also an incredibly smart dude, and there is such a good positive vibe in the air around these people, but that’s another story.

Conor is supremely confident in his abilities to execute, he shines particularly in situations of extreme adversity, and always come with good game plans.
He’s a machine at seizing the moment and performing to accomplish his goals with fluidity, and no hesitation.
His focus is what gives him an incredible sense of timing.
He is a beast at mastering his fears (and negative feelings) by being inspired with incredible ideas/points of view (that the whole web wants to hear BTW).
I think these are quite nice qualities that none of his opponents seemed to see or anticipate so far. They usually just say he’s a good talker. No bro, he’s a good thinker (tinker some might say).
Let’s face it, Conor is SUCH an unusual dude psychologically.
The simple fact he got the impossible deal done is just another irrational, amazing accomplishment, and I’m not even talking about the fact it went as smooth and as fast… simply mind blowing.

Anyone remembers when Conor was in that pre-fight training session, on a basketball court?…
After training he did ONE free throw. All eyes watching, with a stupid bad technique, the ball went in… foof!
Or when he destroyed a UFC video game champion, twice in a row (with his eyes open in disbelief)?
This is the kind of guys we are talking about. A guy with massive balls who, even though everyone doubts him, seems to be able to make the most ambitious decisions towards success in the most stressful situations for anyone else, relaxed as fook.
He just owns the present time like very few people do. And because it does not make sense in a mathematical way, no one, especially in boxing, seems to take that into consideration.

The power of the mind. Extreme ambition, positivity, visualisation, mastering his obsessions… I think this is the best weapon of Conor McGregor. You can feel it when he talks, and as we heard in the MMA hour with his coach last week, everyone around him believes he is going to win. We can feel they really do.
Even Dana, who doubted him in the past, now says in interviews :"I don’t want to question him anymore".
Why??? Well he says it himself! That’s because when he talks to him a little, he starts to believe it too… even though it does not make any sense what so ever in his experienced mind.
Remember when Conor wanted to make a $3M bet with him for beating Mendez before round 3 in a late replacement fight? Dana’s a poker player, a pretty good one at that, born in Vegas and all. Even then, although at the time it looked like an impossible task, he smiled… but did not bet.

So guys, no, it does not make sense, but not everything does in fighting. And like most of you, I know Floyd is by FAR the best boxer, but the best guys are not always the ones who win, that’s why the ‘upset’ word exists.

Just like you, I don’t know who’s gonna win allright, but I do think the fact Conor is incredibly smart is the very reason everyone is so excited, and I’m sick of not hearing about it when people talk about his chances.

To me intelligence is as dangerous as solid fundamentals, and Conor is smarter that Floyd, just like Conor’s people are smarter than Floyd’s people, and just like the whole MMA world is smarter than the boxing world.

tl;dr How can Floyd Mayweather defeat Conor McGregor when he can't even read The Secret!?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Queering Wheel posted:

lol it never ceases to amaze me how people manage to blow so much money.

http://www.businessinsider.com/floyd-mayweather-cars-cash-2015-4 like what kind of a douche bag does this

conor's quest in life is to beat money mayweather and eat his spending powers and absorb his IRS debt until he too can become the richest destitute person ever

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dana is more over than most fighters lol

Conor's promo kind of sucks and Floyd looks bored

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Based on crowd reaction so far, Dana White is more over than Floyd.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

How has mayweather been fighting so long and still loving sucks at speaking before a fight

Yeah I take back what I said about Conor, Floyd is real bad.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

They turned off Conor's mic lol

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Oh man Mauro looks like poo poo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jackie D posted:

Floyd is down to -500 how is this possible

the press tour just began and dumb money is coming in

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's 47. Castillo and Maidana both got rematches to put Floyd's record at 49-0. I dunno where the 48 number came from either.

48 includes Conor :ssh:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Honestly, these lovely showtime pressers are a sign of boxings death. Nobody at these drat things seem to be boxing fans on top of these fuckin irrelevant people coming up and expecting praise for owning something. Why the gently caress do these executives think anyone gives a poo poo about what they have to say?

Connor shouldn't have even addressed the racism thing. Just keep calling Floyd "boy" and let everyone's head spin. Addressing that someone is calling you racist just seems to make you automatically racist now. It didn't help he started loving black girls on stage.

Whos loving great idea was it anyway to expect two guys who get punched in the head for a living to give several speeches about a fight that hasn't happened yet. What the gently caress did anyone expect. I'm waiting for Floyd to talk about loving connors gf, and Connor to call him a friend of the family.

Boxing is dying!

*Floyd sells 4 million PPVs*
*UFC can't even break 1 million buys on a single show in 2017*

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

That wasn't even Conor dude it was a Mexican man impersonating him.

based on his clothes, i can only conclude that it was in fact drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

HARD WORK
HARD WORK
HARD WORK
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

fails to pass PPACA repeal bill

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

You guys might be on to something with the gun stuff.

Boxer shoots MMA fighter, pleads self defence

Never let a jabroni shoot on you, brother.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I have the same dream, and then I always end up taking them down and then continue to hit them ineffectively :smith:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

That's pretty weird you dream your are Jacob Volkmann

shut up or i'll give you a glassectomy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

The best outcome of the fight would be Conor KO's Floyd standing, then follows up with ground and pound and gets DQ'd.

• Locked thread