Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
double post ooorah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/879936306754666496

itshappening.gif

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao he's gone

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Congratz Knick fans, turns out your owner gives a drat.

He might be garbage at running a team, but at least he tries.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Dexo posted:

Congratz Knick fans, turns out your owner gives a drat.

He might be garbage at running a team, but at least he tries.

Being heckled at his concert was the final straw

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the finger on the monkey's paw curls, and the Knicks re-hire Isiah Thomas

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
I feel bad for Knicks fans because even if Phil goes Dolan is just going to hire some knob who is just as incompetent in his place

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Knicks Offseason 2017:

e: and we haven't even hit free agency yet

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Now the Knicks players can pretend like they're happy because Phil is gone, which will last approximately 20 games into the season as the team slowly realizes that playing with Melo sucks no matter what GM you have

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Cool Buff Man posted:

Now the Knicks players can pretend like they're happy because Phil is gone, which will last approximately 20 games into the season as the team slowly realizes that playing with Melo sucks no matter what GM you have

Not playing the Triangle and letting Hornacek run a modern NBA offense might do wonders for that team.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
James Dolan is a genius who figured out how to get Knicks fans to finally like him

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Awkward phone call to make for Dolan who just extended his contract, I imagine it starts something like hey Phil, how's it goink?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
All a long con to set up his good buddy Isiah as the conquering hero

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

its gonna turn out that he reason dolan fires phil is because he just found out chauncey billups was on the market

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

The first time in years that James Dolan hints at messing with the team occurs directly after he had a gig ruined by someone repeatedly asking him about what Phil's doing re: KP and the draft

Coincidence? No

haha I dunno I think the gig ruined itself just fine

PHIL MY ONE DEMAND FROM YOU AS A GM WAS THAT PEOPLE STOP MAKING FUN OF MY MUSIC

xbilkis posted:

James Dolan is a genius who figured out how to get Knicks fans to finally like him

Nope. Everyone still hates him. It'll be closer to

Cool Buff Man posted:

but 15ish games

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 28, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Not playing the Triangle and letting Hornacek run a modern NBA offense might do wonders for that team.

Yeah Melo got D'antoni fired because a modern offense required far too much passing for his liking. The triangle is modern compared to the ISO garbage Melo demands. He's made it real clear he'll ignore any coach or GM that tries to make him pass. But more importantly the Knicks DRtng spikes up to 113.8 when Melo's on the court (compared to 108 when he's off it, which is .8 better than league average)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/879958450796584960

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The monkey paw thing gets thrown around here too much, but Dolan firing Jackson because he'd rather do that than buy out Melo is probably not a good sign for the future.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

26 year old Melo was on some poo poo

https://twitter.com/carmeloanthony/status/4902459865

https://twitter.com/carmeloanthony/status/4900619745

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rick posted:

The monkey paw thing gets thrown around here too much, but Dolan firing Jackson because he'd rather do that than buy out Melo is probably not a good sign for the future.

I disagree with that one.

Melo is nothing more than a symptom of the incompetence. Simply buying out Melo doesn't solve anything. Other than empowering an incompetent Team president and letting said incompetent president have his way. Especially considering that team president was seriously considering trading the only goddamn asset that their team has, over pettiness at being slighted.

Dolan should bring in David Griffin and let him work.

It might mean 2 more years of Melo but it's not like the team is going to be good those two years, anyway. It's too late to worry about Melo, that contract has already been given out and it's his contractual right to do what's best for him and his family. If Dolan doesn't want to blow money on both and would rather buy out whatever dumb but smaller amount of money he owes Phil compared to Melo then he's making the right long term decision.

Worry about the poo poo you can control, like the happiness of the player you think will be your future. Melo is 100% out of your control, unless you completely buy his contract out.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/879957316887396352

https://twitter.com/netw3rk/status/879965171912916997

Dexo fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 28, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Peak NBA

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Me7o owns

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/879971136657793024

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://twitter.com/fredkatz/status/879958493465325568

This is like the Knicks-est way things could have happened

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Dang Dexo you gotta hold some over the top hate for Phil Jackson to pretend Dolan is competent and Melo should be on the team

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

EvanTH posted:

Dang Dexo you gotta hold some over the top hate for Phil Jackson to pretend Dolan is competent and Melo should be on the team

Don't think Dolan is competent. He's making a good choice this time tho.

Melo shouldnt be on the team but because of Melos negotiated contact he has the say on that... barring a 40mil+ buyout.

Fire the guy that gave the contract and is running off a top prospect in the NBA.

I'm a big causes over symptoms problem person though. Melo didn't offer himself that contract. Since you cant fire the owner hope that the owner fires the dude that gave out the bad deal.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Can't remember who it was here what said three years ago that Dolan was going to wait until Jackson made some decision he didn't like and start interfering again, possibly because it was everyone

Anyhow with Melo sticking around the team is going to suck, the basketball is going to be ugly, the team will lose a lot and then Porzingis is going to walk. Looks like a good season to become a Nets fan.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Congrats knicks fans . This is good news for the NBA.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/879957081884897280

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Is it a bit too flow-chart-y to say I'm not crazy about Chris Paul on the Rockets? I mean, it would make the team better, but not "can beat GS next year" better and do we really want to be paying him $30+ mil a year when he's 36? When you think about the depth they'd have to gut to fit Paul in and his age/injury concerns, it seems like a high-risk/low-reward move relative the team as is.

If they're looking to "win now," they'd be better off going all in for Paul George. He upgrades a much weaker position, and even if he leaves for LA, at least the team gets that cap space back and probably has room for another max deal. Only problem with George on the Rockets is he couldn't be PG-13 anymore.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium > NBA Offseason 2017-18 G/V: If no one appreciated you 11 champ;ipnsikp[ ringhs I did

Krispy Kremepie
Mar 23, 2005

Inside......Me....
Awful decision by Dolan. Phil was just getting this franchise turned around.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Choosing KP (and Melo) over Phil Jackson? The Knicks are doing the right thing? This feels weird.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's tough to read the leaves but it may be more Jackson wants out since they aren't buying out melo.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

as long as dolan is breathing i'm not expecting anyone better

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Being a Knicks fan sure is interesting!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Griffin would be fine as gm. There is no way Dolan does that tho.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Phil has to be one of the worst executives ever, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

Griffin would be fine as gm. There is no way Dolan does that tho.

Dolan loves big names like Larry Brown, Phil, Walsh so probably not.

• Locked thread