Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

blue squares posted:

How does one go from watching your team play 16 games per year to watching ~100? It seems like you'd get bored of it midseason, or miss a lot of potentially great games, etc. Do you watch every game, or just when you're free, or what?

i'd say don't jump in too quick. no need to get the whole league pass year 1. plus you can just try the national games for a while and then get a cheaper team pass around christmas. you can also purchase individual games if there are match ups you want to see in the mean time, and they'll offer full replays of NBAtv games 3 hours after they finish airing (so you can watch them the next day or whatever).

basketball is an insanely personal sport. you get to know the players on your team, their strengths and weaknesses, and learn how they play on each end of the floor.

then you get to learn about other players and teams first hand as they play against your team and exploit or are exploited by your teams strengths and weaknesses.

its a sport where you can know nothing and still get a lot out of it, or you can have a ton of experience watching it and still get a lot out of it.

between here, your teams SBNation page, reddit (which is pretty lovely), and other content, there are often plenty of ways to further immerse yourself in your team and the league.

i came to denver from texas too.

there are a lot of games which it can be overwhelming and it is possible to lose interest because they're playing like 3 times a week. but its all about making it yours. if you find yourself liking the players and their stories, then great. if you like watching how the team plays together and want to learn more about the mechanics of the game and the coaching, that's great too. if you want ridiculous twitter feuds, comical antics, and general goofiness from players and people you get to know over time, then there's plenty of space for that too.

the spurs are a solid starter team because the players are all typically hard working, often cast aside gems who then get redemption and a chance to really shine. its also a team that plays basketball as a sport at a really high level with interesting systems on offense and defense. they have a flexible, decades old system that is often on the cutting edge of developing new ideas which then get integrated into the league and they have the best coach of the modern era. but they're not really a "fun" team, in the sense that there is virtually no drama, goofiness, or on court showboating or celebrating. no, alley oops off the glass, smack talk, fighting, or other stuff. but that's not to say they're "boring" (despite that being a meme for the team). they win games. often in spectacular fashion. they just don't pretend to be airplanes or shimmy or flex their muscles after a dunk or anything like that.

Kibner posted:

basically, the regulars in here are extreme degenerates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
We also had a bunch of posts about players/teams/rules for newbies like 10-20 pages back. They definitely belong in the season OP tomorrow

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

You could also root for the Sixers and erstwhile star but lit tweeter Joel Embiid and the gang

Im not sure, as a Cowboys fan, blue squares can in good mind root for the Sixers.

I’d welcome him on the bandwagon, though. Embiid is great, Hinkie is god.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

Henchman of Santa posted:

We also had a bunch of posts about players/teams/rules for newbies like 10-20 pages back. They definitely belong in the season OP tomorrow

Gonna shamelessly plug my post about overall strategy, roles/positions, and non-obvious things to look for. There are great posts before and after, so please just scroll around.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i like the idea of murray/harris/chandler/millsaap/jokic, it pleases me but god drat the west is just ridiculous this year

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i wish mudiay wasnt a bust

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ex post facho posted:

i like the idea of murray/harris/chandler/millsaap/jokic, it pleases me but god drat the west is just ridiculous this year

One guy playing defense may not work

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan

euphronius posted:

One guy playing defense may not work

I thought Harris, Chandler, and Millsap were all capable defenders?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kibner posted:

I thought Harris, Chandler, and Millsap were all capable defenders?

Milsap sure

That's it

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
No one has done what will be extremely embarrassing playoff seed predictions in the main thread yet.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

euphronius posted:

Milsap sure

That's it

Harris is surprisingly good considering his lack of length.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Rick posted:

No one has done what will be extremely embarrassing playoff seed predictions in the main thread yet.

Western Conference
1. Lakers
2. Spurs
3. Warriors

:v:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

blue squares posted:

How does one go from watching your team play 16 games per year to watching ~100? It seems like you'd get bored of it midseason, or miss a lot of potentially great games, etc. Do you watch every game, or just when you're free, or what?

tbh during the regular season I only watch my team when they play a good team or a team with players I like.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
going with extreme degenerates in here. I probably average 80 to 100 games a year and I've spent most of those years watching the Bobhornets

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Brogeoisie posted:

going with extreme degenerates in here. I probably average 80 to 100 games a year and I've spent most of those years watching the Bobhornets

You should probably see a doctor about that.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i love that the bulls just keep collecting bust point guards in the desperate hope of hitting on one.

in other news, i love the New NateRob

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
OK, for real, since this are always great to mock in 6 months:

Western:
1. Warriors
2. Thunder
3. Rockets
4. Spurs
5. Wolves
6. Jazz
7. Clippers
8. Pelicans

Holy poo poo, so many good teams in the west. I had to leave out Denver, Memphis, and Portland and I think those are all atleast 40 win teams. This is assuming the Clippers are healthy, which probably a really bad idea. I also think the Spurs are gonna really miss Parker and that Kawhi is gonna miss some time, IDK, just a feeling. I believe in Boogie and AD, and while I know it probably won't work, dammit, I want to believe

Eastern:
1. Celtics
2. Cavs
3. Wizards
4. Bucks
5. Raptors
6. Miami
7. Hornets
8. 76ers

On the other hand, eesh. Lot of mediocre and bad teams in the East. I think the cavs are gonna have issues until IT gets healthy and I expect that to be a while; LeBron can carry them only so much, he needs more rest during the year. Raptors fall off a bit, but not too badly. Giannis carries the Bucks, and we'll finally decide if Kidd is a good coach. 7&8 were both tough, just a lot questions towards the bottom here, I guess I think Charlotte will be healthy and that Dwight will fit in. I think 50 games from Embiid is enough to get the 76ers in, and I think JJ Reddick will help a lot.

Warriors over the Cavs, in 6. The conference finals will be insane in both conference (Celtics, Thunder).

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kibner posted:

NBA Offseason G/V: basically, the regulars in here are extreme degenerates

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm just not a believer in one guy, especially a 32-33 year old at the PF spot, making literally the 2nd worst defensive team into...average?

I'm also not a huge fan at all on the Pelicans. Their shooting situation makes the Timberwolves the Rockets in comparison.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Kibner posted:

basically, the regulars in here are extreme degenerates

Yeah.

I like your seedings, C.L.F.

I think it's going to go

1. Warriors
2. Spurs
3. Thunder
4. Rockets
5. Wolves
6. Jazz
7. Pelicans
8. Nuggets

With the Clippers slipping out of a top seed all the way out of the playoffs due to Blake Griffin's annual injury.

East is
1. Cavs
2. Celtics
3. Wizards
4. Heat
5. Bucks
6. Raptors
7. Hawks
8. Nets

While the East won't be great, I think that 1-6 is going to be really competitive, with only a few games separation. I think the Hawks will be better than people think.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DeAaron Fox thinks Wendy's is better than In-N-Out and Chick-fil-A is too good to be fast food.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'll take a crack at this, feel free to quote this later on

East

1) Warriors
2) Rockets
3) Spurs
4) Thunder
5) Wolves
6) Clippers
7) Nuggets
8) Pelicans

I'm betting on Blake's health here, I think he'll play 60 games and do enough point guard stuff to give the Clips a puncher's chance in the regular season. The Pelicans are gonna sneak in because AD and Boogie are going to be too dominant. I wonder if they miss the playoffs, what's the course for correction? They're nearly capped out, right? The bottom of the conference is a lot more fun to guess at since the top 4 are gonna be in some combination of that order all year.

West

1) Cavs
2) Wizards
3) Celtics
4) Bucks
5) Raptors
6) Heat
7) Sixers
8) Hornets

I think that the continuity that the Bucks and Wizards have will elevate them into home court and the two seed, respectively. Boston is the best positioned team for the future, but they're gonna take a minute to gel. The bottom of the conference is a lot tougher to predict since there's just too many bad teams. But I think 50 games from Embiid, a good season from Malik Monk, and Miami's hard-nosed style pushes those three into the playoffs. Of course, the Cavs are on top until further notice because of the greatest player of our generation.

My answers are probably different from the poll, which I did on just snap decisions. Excited to see how this will all play out!

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

The Jazz had the 5th seed last year with 51 wins. Wolves won 31games. Do people really think Butler and Taj are worth 20 more wins in an improved West? Or are we also banking on KAT and Wiggins getting substantially better and Teague replacing enough of Rubio's production?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarcJSpearsESPN/status/920116883872915456

That sounds problematic

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DMC is cursed to always be the best 3pt shooter on his team

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

DeAaron Fox thinks Wendy's is better than In-N-Out and Chick-fil-A is too good to be fast food.

He's not wrong.

I will argue to my grave that IAO does not deserve its mythical status. Wendy's is amazing if you go to a well run franchise; their 4 for $5 promotion this summer was an amazing deal and the #6 Spicy Chicken combo is a first ballot HOFer.

He's also kind of right re: Chik Fil A. Their ingredient quality has been higher than most fast food joints, but a lot of the newer burger places are challenging them in that area.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

IcePhoenix posted:

We didn't realize it at the time but that concussion allowed Love to unlock Ultra Instinct by removing his ability to think about what he was doing.

Couple pages back but I want you to know that I see you, you loving nerd.

Also I’m glad that Spurs fans seem upset about the LMA extension because I’m still a petty Portland fan.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

big boi posted:

The Jazz had the 5th seed last year with 51 wins. Wolves won 31games. Do people really think Butler and Taj are worth 20 more wins in an improved West? Or are we also banking on KAT and Wiggins getting substantially better and Teague replacing enough of Rubio's production?

I'm honestly not sure. NBA history suggests the Wolves jump won't be 20 games. But I guess I'm just such a fan of Butler and Towns that I am thinking maybe they can buck history.

Carlosologist posted:

I think that the continuity that the Bucks and Wizards have will elevate them into home court and the two seed, respectively. Boston is the best positioned team for the future, but they're gonna take a minute to gel. The bottom of the conference is a lot tougher to predict since there's just too many bad teams. But I think 50 games from Embiid, a good season from Malik Monk, and Miami's hard-nosed style pushes those three into the playoffs. Of course, the Cavs are on top until further notice because of the greatest player of our generation.

My answers are probably different from the poll, which I did on just snap decisions. Excited to see how this will all play out!

I think I've pretty consistently ranked the Celtics 3 or 4 most of the offseason when asked, but at least today I'm feeling really nice about Kyrie.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Butler carried a Bulls team with nothing but garbage to 40 wins.

Butler is really really loving good.

like most teams that add what? a top 10 player tend to be able to take a fairly massive leap.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Butler being the coach on the floor will push Wiggins to be a lot better than last year as well. Minnesota has a lot of the Bulls-era vets so I don't think they're gonna have as much trouble closing a game like they did last year

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Western:
1. Warriors
2. Rockets
3. Thunder
4. Spurs (depending on how long Leonard is out might fall slightly below this)
5. Wolves (Jimmy Buckets)
6. Jazz (defense will make up for losing Gordon's offense)
7. DA MAVS BABY
8. Clippers (They are going to lose like 40 ppg due to injury for at least several weeks of the season.)

Eastern:
1. Cavs
2. Celtics (Could fall further depending on how long it takes all the new players to get used to each other)
3. Raptors
4. Bucks
5. Wizards
6. Miami
7. Hornets
8. Nets

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 17, 2017

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wiggins plays better as a 2 imo since he can use his size better there.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Carlosologist posted:

I think Butler being the coach on the floor will push Wiggins to be a lot better than last year as well. Minnesota has a lot of the Bulls-era vets so I don't think they're gonna have as much trouble closing a game like they did last year

Butler guarding the top opposing wing should make Wiggins look markedly better on its own

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Jazz lost Hayward and 50 games of George Hill. I appreciate the faith this board has put in Ricky that the dropoff will be negligible.

Tae posted:

Wiggins plays better as a 2 imo since he can use his size better there.

Won't matter. Opposing teams will pick who they want to put their defenders and Butler will probably defend the best wing most nights. Wolves really don't have starting SG/SF, it's just two wings.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The Jazz making the playoffs would require a minor miracle or Donovan Mitchell being Michael Jordan

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Being one of four teams in the league that play defense in the regular season should get them a lot of wins.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
west:

1) warriors
2) spurs
3) thunder
4) rockets
5) clippers
6) timberwolves
7) trail blazers
8) nuggets

east:

1) celtics
2) cavs
3) wizards
4) raptors
5) bucks
6) pistons
7) heat
8) 76ers

jesus christ, the east is slim loving pickings

everyone counting out the spurs is pretty funny. they won 61 games last year and look to be ironing out their existing problems while simultaneously improving the roster. the rockets are going to get diminishing returns by adding another great guard who is adjusting to an all new system. the thunder could be pretty solid though. just giving russ some people to help bail him out will really help. they're just drastically short on talented bigs if i remember correctly.

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
west.

1. Warriors.
2. Thunder
3. Rockets
4. Spurs
5. Nuggets
6. Clippers
7. Jazz
8. Pelicans

east.

1. Cavs
2. Wizards
3. Hornets
4. Raptors
5. Bucks
6. Heat
7. Celtics
8. Magic

The east is weird as poo poo this year.

I'm selling on the Celtics, hard. I think Irving is probably the most overrated player in the NBA. I'm prepared to eat crow on this, but seriously, he is IT with sexier handles in terms of impact. I like Hayward but don't see how losing Bradley + Crowder can be replaced by that, even with Jaylen Brown. I think their depth is going to take a major hit. Rookies are poo poo, that's a rule. Tatum will be poo poo for year 1. I'm not a buyer on Jaylen Brown, either, as a sophomore. Like, just look at that rotation:

Irving, Marcus Smart, Hayward, Morris, Horford -- very respectable lineup. But your 6th man is Jaylen Brown? Seriously? This team is going to be bad for stretches this year, mark my words, and people will be writing articles about it. They'll figure it out, but by that point, they'll have fallen a gently caress ton in the standings. Wouldn't shock me if they're an ECF team out of a bottom 3 (6-7-8) seed.

Bucks, I'm also not much of a buyer. They have so many pieces that don't make sense together. They remind me of those early 2000s Sac. Kings teams for some reason. Weird, underperforming, once in a generation players that don't really make sense as a team and end up underwhelming. Also not a buyer of the Pistons or 76ers this year -- I think the Magic string together a few good stretches enough to win 35 games -- good for an 8th seed in the east.

I'm a buyer of the Wizards. I think they could be the best team in the east this year. Mike Scott is a really underrated pick up. Beal is probably going to have a ridiculous year. They look like a 50-55 win team on paper.

Brogeoisie fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 17, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's not wrong.

I will argue to my grave that IAO does not deserve its mythical status. Wendy's is amazing if you go to a well run franchise; their 4 for $5 promotion this summer was an amazing deal and the #6 Spicy Chicken combo is a first ballot HOFer.

He's also kind of right re: Chik Fil A. Their ingredient quality has been higher than most fast food joints, but a lot of the newer burger places are challenging them in that area.

In-N-Out is the simple, humble fast food burger perfected. It's a perfect combination of fresh, tasty, and cheap. I could find a burger that is better but I'm paying way more than I would for a double-double.

I like Wendy's. I have nothing against them. I loved their 4 for $4 meals, but mostly because it was a cheap and filling source of grease and salt. Their burgers are not on some other tier, especially the cheap ones in the promo meals

Chik-Fil-A is basically an In-N-Out but with more religious influence and chicken instead of beef. Small, simple menu carried by quality ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He's not wrong.

I went to IAO for the first time about a year ago and I was very underwhelmed. It was good but I didn’t feel at all like I was missing anything not living near one.

• Locked thread