Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Charlotte's #11 plus a young guy and maybe a future pick?

Would be a weird team but probably a 4th or 5th seed in the East

I'd be fine in theory, it'd definitely make things easier to blow up, but Charlotte doesn't have enough money or players to make it worthwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

Lol if you don't think Zingis sees the jig from how they are treating Melo. And now himself now that he did one tiny act of defiance.

Guaranteed Melo has said "watch what happens to me so it doesn't happen to you" to Zingis, he apparently likes him quite a bit

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
My petty dream is for LMA to get traded to a non-contending team. If that ends up being Portland then that's some real monkey paw poo poo

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Dexo posted:

Lol if you don't think Zingis sees the jig from how they are treating Melo. And now himself now that he did one tiny act of defiance.

Not to mention an owner that doesnt give a gently caress about his org being run into the ground.

With the new designated player max rules, if Porzingis wants to leave the Knicks then it is highly in his interest to get traded this year or next year. If he sees out his rookie deal and leaves in FA he couldn't qualify for the DPE with his new team and would limit his potential future earnings significantly.

This could be the first sign of yet again an unintended consequence of a new rule to help teams keep their stars and prevent super teams backfiring.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tanglewood1420 posted:

With the new designated player max rules, if Porzingis wants to leave the Knicks then it is highly in his interest to get traded this year or next year. If he sees out his rookie deal and leaves in FA he couldn't qualify for the DPE with his new team and would limit his potential future earnings significantly.

This could be the first sign of yet again an unintended consequence of a new rule to help teams keep their stars and prevent super teams backfiring.

Yup. There is no more incentive for a good rookie no matter how much they hate their team to stay there for an extra contract just to get that rookie max extension.

I love how much all of the Owner's own ideas to save themselves just gently caress themselves over.

Unless you have a good organization....

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Thinking about what porzingas could do in a real system is making me :allears:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Them being able to actually guard every single weapon the Warriors have on offense(I mean when Gasol's not in...)

O poo poo Dedmon was their best defensive big this season (followed by Pau, David Lee, LMA then Bertans, sheesh that's bad D at the 5, lucky that doesn't matter vs GSW) and he's not under contract anymore.

Anyone know if they're resigning Dedmon? Or are they going to do that thing they do where they pluck a Boban/Splitter outta nowhere and get slightly sub-all-star quality minutes from a dude who's nation of origin hasn't existed in 15 years

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thinking about what porzingas could do in a real system is making me :allears:

There's no way Phil's doing anything. He's loving mental mate. He's having a lot of fun with his chess pieces right now and taking naps

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

Guaranteed Melo has said "watch what happens to me so it doesn't happen to you" to Zingis, he apparently likes him quite a bit

Story during the season was pretty much exactly this. Melo catfighting with Phil and other Knicks getting pissed on Melo's behalf

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Read this while you wait for more crazy poo poo to go down

http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/features/taibbi-the-nba-draft-decoded-w489212

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

O poo poo Dedmon was their best defensive big this season (followed by Pau, David Lee, LMA then Bertans, sheesh that's bad D at the 5, lucky that doesn't matter vs GSW) and he's not under contract anymore.

Anyone know if they're resigning Dedmon? Or are they going to do that thing they do where they pluck a Boban/Splitter outta nowhere and get slightly sub-all-star quality minutes from a dude who's nation of origin hasn't existed in 15 years

they probably arent resigning dedmon because hes going to get a huge contract like every ex-spur FA

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Or are they going to do that thing they do where they pluck a Boban/Splitter outta nowhere and get slightly sub-all-star quality minutes from a dude who's nation of origin hasn't existed in 15 years
This would be my bet. Someone else will pay more than we're comfortable for him. Spurs Cycle of Life
Hope it's SVG again 😂

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

EvanTH posted:

I think Dedmon is going to get some pretty good offers in FA that the wouldn't be able to match. Mills, Simmons and Lee are all FAs too and I think ideally the team would want all four back and Dedmon is probably the lowest priority of those (maybe ahead of Lee).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

spurs are gonna get Chris Paul, Paul George, and Pau and will bamboozle their opponents because all of the on-court calls will be "Paul!" and no other teams will be able to keep up. Light years ahead.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Dexo posted:

Not to mention an owner that doesnt give a gently caress about his org being run into the ground.

Melo got treated like gold by this organization. Dolan loves him.

His companies treat the customer like poo poo but they're pretty beneficial to work for (if you're not Charles Oakley). He just happens to be a terrible sports franchise owner that doesn't realize how much more publicity a bad basketball team gets over a bad internet provider. Zingis is fed up because the teams losing and Phil stuck him with Noah. I don't think it has a lot to do with him thinking that he's going to get chased out of town when he's old and busted.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
If I live to see Paul George, Kawhi, and Danny Green defending on the same court then I might just die then and there
Add in CP3 and I'll die twice
Everyone else can go (I'd like Juice back though, and no trade involving Dejounte)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Doltos posted:

Melo got treated like gold by this organization. Dolan loves him.

His companies treat the customer like poo poo but they're pretty beneficial to work for (if you're not Charles Oakley). He just happens to be a terrible sports franchise owner that doesn't realize how much more publicity a bad basketball team gets over a bad internet provider. Zingis is fed up because the teams losing and Phil stuck him with Noah. I don't think it has a lot to do with him thinking that he's going to get chased out of town when he's old and busted.

Yeah fair enough, I made the same mistake I make with the Bulls from time to time.

The Knicks org and his own companies are probably fine running and making him money.

the Owner doesn't give a poo poo about winning Is the correct phrase.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

It was just like a month ago people were telling me that LMA was fine and that the Spurs were very happy with him and his production

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Turner still owns at least

https://twitter.com/Original_Turner/status/877977400323080192

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 22, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I feel like if the Spurs make a super team around PG that wins a ring or makes a deep run then he's gotta stay right

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
And yeah, Dolan did whatever Melo wanted, including shoving Lin out of the city because he's an insecure little child. It was why I assumed the no trade clause predated Jackson's tenure.

From reading this I've learned one of my favorite finance writers is about five years behind on the NBA, ah well

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh stop putting ideas like PG on the Spurs in my head.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

It was just like a month ago people were telling me that LMA was fine and that the Spurs were very happy with him and his production

i am still fine with him and i think the fanbase largely still is (except for the morons who wanted to trade parker all the way through 2014) but apparently he's unhappy here. which was kind of a risk at the start since he was unhappy about being overshadowed by dame and he's being overshadowed by kawhi here, and also without duncan he's the best defensive big on the roster again which makes him have to play 5 and he apparently never liked doing that

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Is it just pure luck that the Rangers are relatively well run and the Knicks are a bottomless pit of despair? How can Dolan oversee both operations and have completely different results?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Rotoworld says there's a picture going around of moving vans at PG's house.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

pubic works project posted:

I love the NBA and its crazy fans.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Diva Cupcake posted:

Is it just pure luck that the Rangers are relatively well run and the Knicks are a bottomless pit of despair? How can Dolan oversee both operations and have completely different results?

Dolan finally took the hint and went hands-off with the Knicks personnel immediately after putting a senile old man in control of the team

It's not goink great

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Got my hands on an exclusive photo

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Indy has a good history with moving vans

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

A couple posters that live in an NBA city should get together and rent a few giant U-HAULs and park them outside an NBA player's mansion

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

He is fine and the stories of him being traded came after he (apparently) asked for a trade. A bunch of people were pretty surprised that LMA would be shopped until that tidbit came out, otherwise I don't think the Spurs would have looking to move him.

They are also asking quite a bit for a 31 year old making 20+ million, so they aren't that high on moving him.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

He doesn't do much for the Rangers. He used to just leave everything to Sather. When he had a more active role they were ran as bad or worse than the Knicks.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/shamus_clancy/status/877975418653081600

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Dolan didnt really care about the Rangers and let Slather do his thing for the most part

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/World_Wide_Wob/status/877982148707336193

Want that shirt

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

tanglewood1420 posted:

I agree .

More player movement is good though overall . I think teams can only have two dpe so what are you going to do with three stars you drafted ? I don't know.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Diva Cupcake posted:

"I am by no means an expert in basketball. I'm a fan. My expertise lies in managing companies and businesses. I think I'm a little out of my element when it comes to the team. I found myself in a position where I needed to be more a part of the decision-making for awhile. It wasn't necessarily something I wanted to do. As the chairman of the company, I felt obligated to do it. I'm happy now that we have a team of Phil and Steve to do that." -- James Dolan at a press conference in 2014, explaining how he tried to hire Phil Jackson as a coach and instead wound up making him GM

His "expertise" at "managing companies and businesses" is mostly his billionaire father appointing him CEO of Cablevision, which he later sold so he could focus on his music

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I cannot imagine dolan ever thinks about his Hockey team, which is probably why they are slightly competent.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

This guy should teach me about being awesome and a borderline alcoholic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

zoux posted:

Want that shirt

Same.

• Locked thread