Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I officially did not renew my Bulls tickets today. The sales person sounded pretty desperate so I'm guessing season ticket sales are way down. I did say I would renew if they fired GarPax which she thought was me making a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm pretty convinced she was working off a script written by Gar Forman because she talked about how exciting it was to be back in the playoffs and that the team would be even better next year because it takes awhile for new players to work together. Was waiting for her to mention Luke Kennard being #1 on their draft board.

For real I was kind of depressed because I've had them 11 years and it was mostly fun.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's not that Reinsdorf is incompetent, it's just that he doesn't care. Dolan is incompetent.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I always thought the Mike Brown hate went too far. He won 66 games with that Cavs team that everyone said had an abysmal supporting cast for Lebron. And I don't think that Lebron was as good as the Lebron we saw in Miami and his second Cleveland run. He was made into the scapegoat for a bad front office and marketing reasons.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Dolan is terrible, but it's been a few years since he's been in direct control. The current state of the Knicks is due to Phil.

Hiring a guy who is a decade behind the times seems like a bad decision. Renewing his contract when he's done nothing but piss off everyone seems even worse.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's been out for a few years now. Wouldn't even classify it as a rumor since Ron Adams has come out and said him and Thibodeau wanted Green.

Adams did get his wish to coach Draymond though. Neither was good enough for the Bulls front office.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

euphronius posted:

3 pick to Indiana
Pg to cle
Love to philly
Whatever else needed to make it work under the cba.

Who says no .

Why not just trade the 3 pick for Paul George who is a better and younger player?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Libertine posted:

Why the gently caress would Cleveland want Paul George at all when they already have Lebron and let alone in exchange for Kevin Love? In that scenario would you be keen on aging Lebron grinding out games at the 4 every night? Seems completely idiotic.

Paul George is a better player than Kevin Love. He can guard the best wing which won't wear Lebron out as much. He makes their defense immensely better (which was their biggest issue).

Lebron has to play the 4 against Golden State anyways who is the only team that matters to Cleveland. That team with George matches up much better.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Libertine posted:

Without Kevin Love the Cavs probably give up even more double digit rebounding games to Steph Curry.

George is a good rebounder for a 3. Cavs can't play Love and Thompson together against the Warriors. George eats up the minutes that guys like Jefferson and Korver were forced to play. Kyrie/Shooter/George/Lebron/Thompson is about as good as they could hope to match up with the Warriors with.

Another benefit is they could have George guard Steph for stretches.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

How would the Clippers even make that work? Heat would be kind of interesting although they'd need some shooters.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Spacebump posted:

Blake and CP3 take pay cuts. Wouldn't it work if CP3/Blake/LeBron each take about $20 million?

These reports always fall apart for me when it involves a bunch of players taking like $10 million in pay cuts annually.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Local TV deal in LA has to trump what you'd get in Seattle.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ammanas posted:

Reduce the number of NBA teams while increasing D-league teams. This improves both the quality of pro play, increases the development of players, and gives more stratas of income an opportunity to see basketball.

I agree with this. Lot of cities can't support an NBA team. Too many poo poo teams and poo poo players.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

Contracting the league would only make it better because there would be less bad GMs and bad coaches in the league

Parity can be achieved by GMs randomly getting assigned to different teams

It's not about parity, it's also about level of play. Basketball played at it's highest level is incredibly fun to watch.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Basically if your city has to fund an arena with tax dollars, it probably shouldn't have an NBA team.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

so no city should have any professional sports teams? hell im fine with having them represent and play in nato allied countries but kanter might have a problem with it

Plenty of owners have paid for their own stadiums. Usually they are in cities that can support NBA teams through ups and downs.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

All this means is "if your fans care enough that losing the team means your elected officials lose their job, you shouldn't have a team". Owners have the cities over a barrel it's not about how much money they do or don't make

Owners don't have major cities over a barrel. Dolan can threaten to move the Knicks all he wants but he's not going to follow through.

Chicago eventually learned this after they moronically voted to pay for the White Sox stadium when Reinsdorf threatened to move them to Tampa. When the Cubs threatened to move a few years back the city laughed in their face.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Yes but there are exactly 3 of these cities now that the league has strategically emptied out Seattle. Realistically there were only ever 3 cities big enough to have that advantage

I think it's way more than that. Seattle should have a team. But after that, what other city would an owner really want to move their team to? Kansas City?

LA, New York, Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Miami, Boston, Philly, Denver, Washington, Toronto, San Fran (Golden State), Phoenix, and Portland all seem safe from any threats to move. That's 17 teams if you have 2 in LA and NY.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

do you have a source for this cause i dont think its true. its certainly not in the nfl and almost all stadium deals im aware of use some amount of public funds

Staples Center (LA), United Center (Chicago), MSG renovations (NY), Pepsi Center (Denver). The new Chase Center (GS) will be privately financed. The new Clippers arena will be privately financed. And Hansen has offered to pay for an arena in Seattle.

There are a lot of dumb cities that gave in to owners when they didn't have to. Certain cities hold more power than they realize. The Celtics aren't moving to Pittsburgh because the city won't pay for their arena.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Why would SA or Portland be safe from the threat of their team moving to a larger, wealthier metro with no team, of which there are 4-5 for each? Why would a team be averse to making a lateral move if the new city offered better terms? A team left Seattle (~3.5 million metro) for OKC (<1.5 million). If your city won't pay up, one or more of San Diego, St. Louis, Seattle, Tampa, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Cincinatti, Austin etc will be willing to. And right now the good times are here and teams don't struggle in major metros. Not so very long ago in real world terms, Chicago and DC and Detroit all had teams fail and fold. Philly and Chicago also both had their teams relocate. Chicago drat near lost the Bulls in the late 60s when attendance dipped to like 1000 a game - and keep in mind the city's population was much HIGHER then (the metro was considerably smaller).

For the same reason the Packers are staying in tiny Green Bay. San Antonio and Portland have passionate fanbases that have shown they can support an NBA team. Maybe that changes someday.

All I'm saying is if you're putting out the kind of money that Milwaukee is to keep its team, it probably isn't an NBA city. Of course the Bucks could find another city to pay for their arena. But they're just moving from one city that can't support an NBA team to another.

That's why I hate the talk of expansion. You're just adding more cities that can't support an NBA team on their own.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

predicto posted:

IN other words, huge metro areas where the owners would be fools to leave. And one in Denver, where they got some nice tax breaks to stay put.

Owners still put all pretty much smaller cities over a barrel. "You don't want me to move out of Milwaukee to Louisville? Fine - gimme 500 mil"

And it works.

Yes. All I'm saying is that if your city has to give up $500 million to keep an NBA team, maybe it shouldn't have one.

This won't change because it's a great business strategy for billionaires. More just a fantasy scenario.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

If Butler was involved in all this, why wouldn't Boston just trade the #1 for him? Why involve Philly at all?

I still don't think this happens because I don't think the Bulls will do a full rebuild for financial reasons. And I think GarPax are lazy and probably don't want to do a bunch of extra work.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Michael Corleone posted:

I think they want to basically turn the dollar bill of the #1 pick into smaller pieces so they can get Butler for like 80 cents and keep the change for themselves.

Perhaps. Can't fathom Philly gives up that Lakers or Kings pick in this deal. So is Boston doing this to just add a few more 2nd round picks?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

The Bulls are going to trade Jimmy Butler for the #3 pick and draft Luke Kennard

I know you're joking but they probably have their eyes on one person and will do anything to get him because scouting other players is a pain in the rear end. And that player is likely much lower on everyone else's draft board than where the Bulls will take him.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cool Buff Man posted:

Why can't you fathom that, that's what literally everyone is reporting

They just seem incredibly valuable. Unprotected picks from bad teams. There's a decent chance that Lakers pick is top-5 next year and that Kings pick is top-3. And this doesn't seem like a draft with a huge gap between players on top to move up two spots.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I think it makes sense. Fultz and Jackson are definitely two players where one GM could see them as more or less equal prospects, and another could see a huge gulf between them. Fultz is a great fit for Philly's needs, and Jackson is the type of prospect that Ainge seems to really like.

Hinkie-worshippers like to give Colangelo poo poo, but I think the Sixers are at the point where they can overpay for what they think is the Last Piece before they push toward contention.

If they are real high on Fultz I get it. I still think if you want a championship, you need a generational talent. The Lakers and Kings pick are a couple more shots at getting that player.

Philly won 28 games last year. I don't think they can afford to overpay.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Spoeank posted:

The only positive ramification of the Warriors winning it all is KD is back on his twitter bullshit

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/876595568121970688

I can't thank this world enough for Twitter.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Is D'angelo Russell secretly bad? Why are the Lakers doing this?

I'm not sure I understand it either unless they think they can get George and are trying to win now.

Or maybe it's to free up money for next offseason but why not just wait till then to dump Mozgov?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Lakers had a really bad offseason last year.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Tae posted:

So basically they're giving up the #2 overall pick for a contract that almost everyone thought was bad and signed on the first day of free agency as the first center signed.

Lakers.

They also signed Luol Deng to a 4 year $72 million deal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Bulls should have traded Rondo and their 1st for Russell and Mozgov.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Present for Dexo.

https://twitter.com/ChicagoSports/status/877360175870611456

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm sure tickets are selling better for Philly but the "waiting list" stuff is a marketing gimmick. The Bulls have a "waiting list" but if you sign up for it you'll immediately get a call asking to buy tickets. It just makes people think the product is in more demand than it is.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not sure why Boston or Phoenix wouldn't jump on this.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I am someone who enjoys when bad things happen to the Knicks but this seems too cruel.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sheriff posted:

I don't hate myself enough to watch Knicks games, how sure of a thing is Porzingis? His stats look average, which honestly isn't a huge red flag for a guy that young on a team that bad. But he's also been injured a few times, correct?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be flipping my poo poo if I was a Knicks fan, but what are the chances this trade doesn't look totally terrible 5 years from now?

Athletic 7'3 Center who can knock down a 3. Kind of perfect for today's NBA.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Outside of the possible Porzingis trade, is there anything else that could happen tomorrow?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I still can't believe how much the Bulls gave up to get Cameron Payne.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Ammanas posted:

There's no way all Chicago wants is a top 3 pick. They absolutely want significant assets as well

Problem with the Bulls is they want guys who can play now because they don't want to rebuild. If I remember correctly, they were more interested in guys like Crowder and Bradley than picks that the Celtics had.

Bulls need a complete teardown and rebuild but will never do it. Partly because of money and party because I think they are just too lazy to deal with it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Cameron Payne has the body of a high school sophomore and can't finish at the rim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'd do Jimmy for Jaylen Brown, #3 and that Memphis pick they have stashed. Doubt the Celtics would do it.

• Locked thread