Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
No

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So someone help me out here. The Dubs are eventually going to eat poo poo financially for this roster, right? When does that happen, and what implications could it have?

I think I heard that it would cost about 2 billion dollars to keep the team together over the next 5 years, assuming Curry gets a max contract

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

toggle posted:

I don't want this Big Ball family near my favourite sports team, thanks :tipshat:

:same:

Give me Jackson, we can probably teach him to shoot

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

EMC posted:

Ballmer is a crazy person but he seems like a pretty awesome owner, wants to win and happy to put up cash to try and get there. I thought his podcast earlier this year with Simmons was really great.

He was super cool the one time I met him, and he managed to convince to not join Microsoft :v:

From what I understand, he is planning to build it next to the new NFL stadium

Also, it might not be 100% his money, since I think it is going to be a joint venture with Kroenke

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 15, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

NeuroticErotica posted:

It's mixed with him as an owner. He probably trusted Doc too much. Everything in the Ballmer era feels weird. The Clippers have always been LA's second team, but now it feels like they've really doubled down on being the generic brand. The logos, the uniforms. Chuck the Condor really represents the Ballmer era so well. He feels contrived and focused grouped, yet not really targeting anything. He's also a giant ad for Converse. From his name to his design, it's all an ad. For all the research the did on Chuck, they gave him no lovable qualities. There's nothing to like about Chuck. He has no personality. He's not Cuddly, or Funny, or Anything. He's a mascot for the sake of having a mascot. Everything inside the Staples center has now become an advertisement. Not like the usual stuff - like the Half Court shot to win a Toyota Tundra from Johnny Mnemonic Toyota - like during timeouts now, they'll play ads on the jumbotrons, or, have blatant ad performances on the court. They had one for some razor scooter knockoff and it was basically "Well Chuck likes riding it". They had one for swiffers that was just little kids coming out to dancing with swiffers. Some adults joined them with their own swiffers. When they were walking off the court you could see them just shaking their heads.

I'm not against sponsorships by any means, but it's really hurt going to the game. (More than recent Clipper performance has)

I don't know that's necessarily true. It's nice to have all the LA teams in one destination (minus Dodgers). It's one of the few bits of unity this city has to it. I also think that a lot of the newer Clipper fans, the luxury box crew in particular, is still scared to go below the 10.

They'll be moving next to the Rams and Chargers

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Oh and Jerry West is leaving the Warriors to join the Clippers, after Jeanie Buss turned down his offer to return ot the Lakers, despite being one of the major people who blamed Jim Buss for chasing off West and not rehiring him when he joined the Warriors.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

predicto posted:

Things change. Teams develop and regress. Players unexpectedly develop into superstars from nowhere. Injuries are a massive wildcard.

At the start of the 2014 season, the Warriors were a sixth seed who had been knocked out in the first round of the previous playoffs. They were led by Curry (whose ankles splintered every other game), Klay, (who was completely one-dimensional and literally could not make a lay-up), David Lee (the classic "mediocre guy who gets 20-10 because no one else on the team fills that role") and Andre Igoudala whose best years seemed to be behind him. Draymond Green was a chubby second round pic who got 20 minutes a game and averaged 6 points, 5 rebounds and 1.9 assists. The Warriors had just fired their coach and replaced him with a former TV analyst and front office failure who never had coached at any level. They were at essentially the same level as the Jazz or Raptors are now, and no one had any idea that team was about to go super saiyan.

The Warriors may be a dynasty for the next few years or it may all go to poo poo for them and we will all wonder what happened.

Yeah, I mean if you went based on recent record, the Lakers would get cut

I mean, teams get good and teams get bad. I'd say the best thing for the league would be force bad ownership groups to sell, but the NBA would never do that

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/875436762432028672

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
i'm really starting to suspect that Danny Ainge might be a mediocre GM who has been repeatedly bailed out by worse GMs (KG/Ray Allen, KG/Pierce, MJ rurning down 4 first round picks Winslow)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah I mean sure he's a great fit but come on. They wouldn't trade him for anything before giving Cousins/Davian a season

yea, I cant imagine they would trade him for anyone other than 4-5 players players, and the Celtics have none of them

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
What the gently caress is going on in the NBA?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Metapod posted:

the offseason is happening

We had better get another DeAndre Jordan situation, that was the best NBA offseason incident of all time

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

I don't understand how the Cavs are in the mix of two all-stars with no assets of any kind

Kevin Love

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Do you like drama and comedy?

Then yes

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Man, if they do that trade, I might actually just loving bandwagon with the Warriors until Jim has a successful coup

I mean, I cant believe they would be that dumb, but man, even the rumor is impressively dumb

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Is there something chemical in lakers fans that makes them unable to empathize for and root for the Clippers
this should warm the lovely clarksons of your heart man

Well I live in the Bay Area now, so if I'm gonna get poo poo on by the Lakers like the Bears are doing to me, I might as well pick a team I can watch reliably

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

WhyteRyce posted:

I don't care if it didn't happen, Ainge trying to shake down the team with the #2 pick over Ball is now NBA canon.

Is he loving trying to shake Phoenix down over Issac now too

"Oh no, he is threatening us that he will pass on the best player in the draft because he is playing 20th dimensional chess, quick trade them Julius Randle" - Danny Ainge, probably

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

morestuff posted:

We at least knew The Decision was coming, nothing will top DAJ being held hostage + the emoji wars + Cuban driving around sad

https://twitter.com/paulpierce34/status/618860245025030144

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

I would be cool trading the #2 pick for King Zing

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'd rather trade #2 than Russell, but I'm completely fine trading Russel and #28 for PG

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

euphronius posted:

Is dlo a core piece.

He definitely was under the previous management, but right now, no one loving knows and Magic is best friends with Byron Scott who hates him for no reason

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/Schultz_Report/status/877254776773365760

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Since I enjoy making you guys suffer, I just wanted to remind you of how dumb the outside world discusses sports

quote:

This is the LIMIT the Lakers should extend to on Paul George talks

Brewer / Deng / Mozgov / Black
28th Pick

AT THE HIGHEST: Clarkson

A combination of these things should be the LIMIT the Lakers go to trade for George, and if they want Clarkson, they are going to have to absorb either Mozgov or Deng's contract as well with him and the 28th pick.

ANYTHING MORE and we hang up the phone and say "See Paul in free agency."

quote:

quote:

quote:

My Guess

Zubac/Nance/Clarkson/28 + 2020 protected first
We aren't giving up Zubac.
Yeah that's waaaay too much.

quote:

Would you guys do Zubac, Brewer and Black for PG13?

Then we could use JC and the #28 to dump Deng's contract on the Nets.

No one is making fun of these people, and everyone is agreeing. I'm glad I have you guys, I couldn't go back to those places full time

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I promise I'll stop, but this one is just soooo dumb

quote:

Not trying to be harsh to the new front office but anything more than Clarkson + #28, I would give a grade B if not lower, despite acquiring an all-star on this team.

How do people who care enough about basketball to discuss it online have such a poor understanding of value?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

Didn't his team basically foul repeatedly to let him get enough possessions to shoot that much

Its OK, so did the Warriors when Wilt scored 100

Kobe's 81 is the only one that remained pure

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

What the gently caress?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Bring back Jim Buss

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Diva Cupcake posted:

How many LeBron Lakers jerseys have already been sold? Are there numbers on that?
https://twitter.com/WojVerticalNBA/status/877289839556792321

Jesus Christ, bring back Jim and Mitch

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

How is the 28th pick going to be more alluring than Russel?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Also, this saves about 7 million compared to just stretching Mozgov, assuming they dont keep Lopez

Which makes this seem even worse

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

I like Russell a lot but they don't give a poo poo about Lopez as a player, they only care that he's a big contract that expires after next season. They're freeing up 2018 money because they think they can get LeBron

And thats probably even dumber than making this trade because they actually like Lopez

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jota posted:

There are a lot of funny things about that trade but as Timothy Mozgov is salary dumped already I think fondly back to anytime anyone criticized how large a contract being given out was and people jumping over themselves to yell at them and be like It's fine! It's the new market!!!

And yet, there were 2-3 other centers who got worse contracts

They were just smart enough to not hire Magic Johnson afterwards

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

milk milk lemonade posted:

Lol anyone remember the last time the Lakers tried to clear cap room for Bron

Yeah, or when the cleared cap space for Yao

Or for Amare

Or Dwight

Or Carmelo

Or Aldridge

I've seen this story far too often for me to buy it anymore. Like even if LeBron swore that he is gonna sign with them next year, thats still a season away. He could win a title next year, he could get injured, who knows? This is gonna lead to tears and a shitload of awful 30 footers from Ball next season.

Oh and Magic was in the room for all of those pitches too

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 21, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

I don't think LeBron will go there but the Lakers having cap space to chase max contract guys is a fairly recent phenomenon i don't know where the narrative that they've been missing big free agents for years comes from.

On a number of occasions, they had cleared space or put themselves into positions to easily clear space for free agents. Like, the original Kwame trade was timed so his contract would expire the same off-season as Yao and then would just dump Lamar and put Kobe and Yao together. Then when it became obvious it wasn't going to happen, they took his option to go after Amare in 2010 (though they traded for Pau before this negating it). This was also back when S&Ts were still a realistic possibility for big time free-agents

They've tried selling this plan to Lakers fans a ton of times, and I have even less faith in these to pull it off, since Jeanie and Magic were always in the room for all of those pitches, but somehow, they'll be able to charm everyone, despite never being able to in the past.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

MourningView posted:

It's only a season away, he might literally be the greatest player in the history of the sport, he has zero injury history, and he has shown zero sign of slowly down outside of resting more now, he has a game that will age well. Even if you only get 2-3 years of LeBron at this level or close to it that's worth whatever he'd make.

Yes, but what if you have zero faith in their ability to reel him in

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Drunk Canuck posted:

I do not understand the thought process of NBA General Managers, time to never guess trade scenarios ever again.

Maybe it was a bad idea to fire your entire front office and replace them with Magic Johnson and Kobe''s agent

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

tanglewood1420 posted:

So the plan was to give up Russell, the 2nd pick and the 27th Pick to get a player who has already said he wants to sign for you for free next year.

How loving dumb is Magic jesus christ

He had to resign from the Lakers slightly over a year ago because he kept loving tampering on twitter

And then they brought him back

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol what could you possibly get in trade that would be worth it for fuckin' lebron

code:
• second round pick (protected top 40 in 2011-12, unprotected in 2013) (2011 #54-Milan Macvan)
• Cavaliers option to swap 2012 first round picks (not exercised)
• 2012 second round pick (#34-Jae Crowder)
• first round pick (protected top 10 in 2013-14, unprotected in 2015) (2013 #30-Nemanja Nedovic)
• first round pick (2 years following the year in which Heat satisfies its obligation to convey a future first round draft pick to Cavaliers, protected top 10 in 2015-16, unprotected in 2017) (2016 #24-Timothe Luwawu / Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot)
• $14.5M trade exception

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Punkin Spunkin posted:

GM Magic is really the gift that keeps on giving. Between him and Bird and P-Jax it makes me wonder what players of today will be destroying the teams of the future

GM Kobe is either going to be a complete disaster or the last image on a universe brain meme

Possibly both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Tae posted:

So it seems like nobody in the lottery wanted to straight up trade their pick for DeAngelo. Is he really worse than 5-10 of this draft?

It depends on whether they they were trying to include Deng/Mozgov in the deal

• Locked thread