Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lebron should go to the Rockets IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I am glad Durant has a ring and Westbrook doesn't

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

It's like all these people who poo poo talk Westbrook completely ignore the message of that Mountain Dew commercial

I'm v mad because both of Harden's MVPs have been stolen for literally opposite reasons :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lolllllllllllllllll dwight

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

lmao the Lavar Ball in WWE rumor came true

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Lavar just said "beat that n****'s rear end" on live TV

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My mistake it was LaMelo

https://twitter.com/gifdsports/status/879507443180593152

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare::stare:

I need the growing stare

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

Pat Beverley: formely undrafted player playing in the Ukraine, Sam Dekker a mid 1st rounder rotation player, and Lou Williams, guy who got traded for Corey Brewer and a late 1st plus an additional late 1st for Chris Paul is basically a NBA2k trade I would attempt to do

Going to miss Bev :( He's the best

Good three point shooter, elite defender, making peanuts, rarely injured. This might end of biting the Rockets in the rear end

Also gonna need to find some bench scoring now unless we think Gordon can repeat actually being healthy for most of a season

e: Also CP had to opt back into his contract, so the Clippers were basically doing this instead of letting him just walk

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The other side of this is that Harden handling the point was wildly successful and now you take the ball out of his hands

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:barf:

I had already talked myself out of liking the trade and this seals it :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kibner posted:

Some Pelican fans want to be able to resign Jrue and then trade a future first for Pat Bev. I'm not sure I would hate that if it could be pulled off.

For what Bev gives you and his contract I'm not sure a mid to late first gets the job done!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

lol I'm pretty sure Mike D'Antoni would veto Carmelo coming to Houston

Why would Melo want to come off the bench anyway? :grin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tae posted:

How exactly would Paul George come to the Rockets

By dumping every single player and then signing minimum guys?

Unless Ainge was offering like Boston's own pick next year and nothing else there's literally no way the Rockets can offer anything close to what the Celtics could and they were turned down :shrug:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Houston just lost its best destroyer of superstar PG ligaments, RIP

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Melo and Wade rumors are hilarious. So this is what it feels like having washed up stars rushing to catch onto your team

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

:thunk:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

interesting move for the rockets. not sure how to feel about it. sure, chris paul is always a good addition, but the harden PG experiment seemed to be working really well and even though CP3 shoots 3s well, isn't he just replacing other players that did the same?

i looked up his stats and he's definitely an improvement. he shot like 41% from 3 last year and giving harden some relief in handling the ball will do wonders. he's not patrick beverly, but his defense is still really good. plus not being the focus of the offense all game might relieve some of his injury tendencies.

basically, i wasn't sold on this deal but now i am. good move for the rockets.

but gently caress the warriors. now we have playoff teams blowing up all over the drat place. they're loving ruining the league and there are going to be like 4 super teams that dominate all the competition for like 2 more seasons. boring as gently caress

OTOH the Rockets are probably going to give Paul the supermax for his ages 33-38 seasons so the majority of Harden's prime will be lost when he's either stuck on a team with an oft injured and aging former point god on a roster that has little flexibility because he'll also be on the supermax or he'll leave for a better chance to win elsewhere

The Warriors seem like the only one of the superteams that is actually sustainable for more than a couple of seasons

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Time posted:

Chris Paul joined the team he blew a 3-1 lead against

lol

Doesn't seem all that unusual

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So if I'm reading this right he's intentionally going over the cap just to get the MLE?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Someone photoshop CP3 into the "My next chapter" image

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Eltoasto posted:

lol "Tim Quarterman", that's a made up dude right?

I think he's the dude from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/880116085520965632

https://twitter.com/MarkDeeksNBA/status/880115753764229120

I think the rockets themselves have a couple non guaranteed that are currently not involved but Morey may want to hold onto them.

So the devious "Go over the cap to get the full MLE" plan isn't happening after all?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm not a fan of including Harrell :(

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah but we'll see which team's situation is better in two years

e: Wait when did Troy Williams find his way back on the Rockets?

e2: Oh wait that was Troy Daniels :downs:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm looking forward to a CP3-Harden-Gordon-Ariza-Anderson small ball arrangement at some point

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kibner posted:

Howard had a back injury that has hampered him since. Kobe and Nash were both well past their primes.

Howard getting traded for scraps made my offseason

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'm probably biased because I'm old enough to have seen the superteam fail in Houston before (Hakeem-Drexler-Barkley and then Hakeem-Barkley-Pippen. Worked with Hakeem and Drexler but they emptied their depth to add Barkley to the mix and welp)

e: Also TMac-Yao-Artest

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jun 29, 2017

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RIP my ability to insist Harden isn't the biggest flopper/whiner by pointing at CP3

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

This wouldn't even be the first time Dolan has tried to bring Isiah back since firing him IIRC?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Anderson's problem in the playoffs wasn't his bad defense (which is bad) it's that he shot 28% from three point range which means he sucked at the one thing you want him for

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I kind of wish Bogut had still been on the Warriors for the awkwardness of him visiting the White House alone

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

hypothetically swapping Ryan Anderson for him is not totally insane, depending on if there are other particulars to a deal. Melo is older and his contract is bigger, but both have 3 more years at 20mil+. I'm not saying it is a good idea, just not totally far fetched. But yeah, I basically agree.

I'd rather keep Anderson, the guy who's willing to accept his role as the "stand there and receive the kickout pass for an open three" guy who plays no defense vs Melo, the "the offense should be run through me no matter what" guy who also plays no defense, especially when Ryno costs less

ex post facho posted:

im skeptical that cp3 and harden is gonna be that good, both are ball-dominant guards that need the ball in their hands to be effective. paul's a good spot up shooter i guess but it seems like a mistake to to pair him with harden, especially with sacrificing as much depth as they did

The thing that got me on board was the whole "One or both of James Harden or Chris Paul is going to be on the floor literally the entire game"

And replacing Bev's defense with CP3's isn't some catastrophe

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

i really cannot believe anyone is actually worried this will somehow make the rockets defense worse. Chris Paul is a really good defender, and presumably with less offensive burden than in the past because of Harden, could be even better. Harden may improve some on defense with Paul taking the load off, also. Williams was arguably the worst defender on the entire team, and Dekker is terrible there too (though perhaps gets better with experience). This doesn't make their defense worse, it probably makes it better when they fill out the team.

Ehhhh I'm not counting on Harden's defense to improve much. And this team is seriously short on bigs now, something that was a strength last season. I liked Harrell a lot and he was (other than Bev) the piece I'm going to miss most from this trade

Also Bev... :sigh: Going to miss Bev so much

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

Harden can play defense ok when he feels like it. I'm not expecting much but it shouldn't get any worse, at least.

Harrell is fine and all but he is very very far from irreplaceable. Yeah, but we're gonna sign a couple people before the season starts. I'm assuming Nene probably comes back, also.

edit: I mean if the standard is "will this make you the favorite in beating the warriors in the playoffs" then why bother doing much of anything besides collecting 2021 draft picks and tanking I guess? Its a probability game and this both ups the probability of beating the Warriors as the team is, and makes it much much more likely the team can acquire another star player which makes it a lot more possible.

I was very happy with Nene's play but his minutes are obviously very limited at this stage

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

Ah people just get attached to role players I guess. Like how I was disappointed when I was 13 when Lamar Odom and Brian Grant got traded for Shaq.

I got mad when the Rockets traded Otis Thorpe for Clyde Drexler, come at me

To take this into baseball, I got mad when the Astros traded Glenn Davis for Steve Finley, Pete Harnisch and Curt Schilling to make room on the roster for Jeff Bagwell

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My sister recently moved to Miami but when she was still living in downtown Houston she found out that Clint Capela lived in her apartments when she ran into him on an elevator

She refused to introduce me :mad:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Ryan Anderson is not terrible at attacking with the ball either. He can dribble drive into a dirk leg fadeaway that's actually tough to guard and sometimes he'll have it all game.

Anderson has mastered the Rockets flavor of "gently caress it shoot it from 33" which worked pretty well this season

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tae posted:

Three years ago, Morey chose to sign Trevor Ariza over Chandler Parsons. And now there's a story that Ariza was a big part of the CP3 recruitment because they're friends.

Morey came from the future.

Parsons recruited Dwight Howard, Ariza recruited Chris Paul

It's clear who the better person is here

Guess they'll just have to trade PG to Houston then

Really the only way these PG to Houston rumors will come true is if the Pacers decide the invoke the Chaos God

Intruder fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I bet Simmons still hates David Kahn with a passion.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/880797550051115008

gently caress Bill Simmons

Feel free to empty quote

• Locked thread