Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

ChickenMedium posted:

The smart money is on the Pacers leaking it, so they can fall back on "we had to trade him!" when they inevitably trade away their best player for scraps.

Excuse me but Justise Winslow is a highly coveted prospect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wait when did I miss Otto Porter becoming good

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Dang it!!

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Dion waiters doesn't deserve this anxiety. Sign him now.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Ghost Dog posted:

if hes gone dark neither utah or boston would want him

lmao

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

I've never really watched Waiters play. Do I want the Knicks to sign him?

He's bad but universally loved by basketball fans therefore good

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

in case anyone here hasn't seen this classic yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaVa6NHwUUg

THEY SCARED NOW

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

less than I thought he would. I was expecting 4/60

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

i'm spo's face as he reads this

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Bosh officially clears waivers at 5pm so hopefully James Johnson is resigned in approx 31 minutes

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I'm going to kill myself

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

JJ is the one guy I wanted back badly from last year so I'm going to be real mad if olynyk stops that from happening

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I can finally rest

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

James Johnson contract is 4 years 60 million

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

How the gently caress is oladipo a "gamma"

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

zoux posted:

Can someone explain to me, an idiot, how the Nets FO is loving with Washington via an Otto Porter offer sheet? And apparently are loving other clubs FOs as well?

The Tyler Johnson contract is 6,6,19,19m per year because the nets were dicks

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wow that's 4.38 Dion Waiters, I don't think anyone in the NBA is worth that much....

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

cool article on how the heat utilized "unlikely to achieve" performance bonus with waiters, olynyk, and johnson to allow them to fit them all within the cap and retain ellington

quote:

As long as the first-year salary – including both likely and unlikely bonuses — in any new contract(s) fits within the team’s cap room at the point the contract is officially executed, the contract is legal. The first-year salary thereafter excludes the amount of the unlikely bonus.

The Heat manipulated these rules with each of Waiters, Olynyk and Johnson:

Dion Waiters’ contract was publicly reported as 4-years, $52 million, but that’s not technically how it is structured. Waiters will actually receive $47.3 million in base salary, plus up to another $4.7 million in bonus money. All of that bonus money has been deemed unlikely to be achieved. Which means that after the contract was approved, only the first-year base salary was charged against the cap for this season; that’s $11.0 million, without the $1.1 million in bonus money.

Kelly Olynyk’s contract was publicly reported as 4-years, $50 million (with a player option on the final year), but that’s not technically how it was structured. He will actually receive $45.6 million in base salary, plus up to another $5.6 million in bonus money. All of that bonus money has been deemed unlikely to be achieved. (He also has a trade bonus equal to the lesser of 5% of the remaining value of the contract and $2 million.) Which means that after the contract was approved, only the first-year base salary was charged against the cap for this season; that’s $10.6 million, without the $1.4 million in bonus money.

James Johnson’s contract was publicly reported as 4-years, $60 million (with a player option on the final year), but that’s not technically how it was structured. He will actually receive $59.1 million in base salary, plus up to another $946K in bonus money(1). That bonus money, unlike the others, does count against the salary cap. Which means that after the contract was approved, the $13.7 million first-year salary, and the $220K bonus, was charged against the cap for this season; that’s $14.0 million.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Jenny Angel posted:

EDIT: Wrong thread!

But I do have some questions while I'm here! I grew up in Chicago in the 90's, so obviously I was really into basketball, but I stopped keeping track after '98 and was definitely too young while I was watching to appreciate any of the strategy. Recently though, I've been seeing a bunch of basketball stuff about the playoffs and offseason on my twitter timeline and getting real nostalgic, so I thought I might try to get back into watching it. I have three main questions:

1) What are my best bets for watching if I don't have TV service? I got a decent-sized TV that's hooked up to an XBox, so are there any good options for streaming sites or apps that I can use? Happy to pay for a subscription if necessary
2) Who should I be a fan of? I'm really hesitant to go back to the Bulls because I don't want to compare everything the current team does to my idealized memories of MJ and his superhero friends, so I'm kinda just looking for a team that's decent enough that watching them won't be constant heartbreak, and fun enough to watch that I can really develop that love. Things that I, a basketball dummy, think are cool as hell include big men plowing through defenders and big men doing authoritative blocks, so please direct me towards any teams that do a whole bunch of that poo poo, or just please tell me a sentence or two about why your own team is the coolest and I'll 100% be convinced
3) Are there any good resources for understanding terminology and strategy? Like, I remember enough about the basic rules, and I know broadly what each of the positions are supposed to do, but I definitely don't have enough knowledge of the game to appreciate what's going on beyond "gently caress, that big man plowed through that defender"

Hassan Whiteside gets lots of blocks and the heat roll like 10 deep with almost everyone able to play multiple positions. Dion Waiters has a good players tribune article. Dragic and Tyler Johnson are 1 and 2 in teeth lost per season.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Mario chalmers has had a prosperous NBA career and I will not stand for this slander

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Peyton went golfing with trump recently I feel u KD

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Would you guys just make a fart joke thread already

every thread is a fart joke thread

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Man how did willie only get a 1 year 1.5m contract? That's a bargain.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

If IT's hip wasn't a thing this would be robbery imo

I still kinda think it is, but it's weird to say the likely #1 seed after this trade got fleeced. I guess it sets them up better for next year since they don't have to deal with IT's impending free agency.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

These are great gifs keep em coming. Where's the one with Lamar Kobe and Pau reacting to a highlight

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

[quote="“Dexo”" post="“476684357”"]
https://twitter.com/UAnews/status/911626922274246656

lmao cowards.
[/quote]

Why even make a statement

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wow they broke up kanter and adams

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Kevin Garnett in a suit on the sidelines barking at a nonchalant ben gordontrump

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I've made my peace with losing wade last year I don't want him anywhere near my beautiful and pure basketball team

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

what I wouldn't give to hang out with Michael Beasley for a day

also is he wearing a watch on his ankle

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I'm having flashbacks to Wade and Westbrook's postgame fashion duel in the 2012 finals

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Tyler Johnson's contract is hardly an anchor. Maybe because of the way it's backloaded but his ~12M average salary over the length of the contract is pretty standard fare for a solid bench player.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

[quote="“Cool Buff Man”" post="“477010844”"]
Lmfao

https://twitter.com/GirthAlgar/status/915194003544518656
[/quote]

FORMIDABLE

you hear that, Boston?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Are there still going to be 15 players from each conference? I want an all-west all star game with special guest Lebron James.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

How do you even get a toe like that, what the hell

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

Which NBA player is the most disappointing to you, personally?

Michael Beasley
Justise Winslow in another year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

I love me some Whiteside but this isn’t a battle he’s going to win. Embiid played 31 games and still got a bigger contract.

• Locked thread