Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
What NBA teams came close to the Warriors in terms of accumulating star power in a single season? It feels like there have been a ton of "great" teams that had 2-3 stars of varying levels and then some guys, but I can't really think of another example where a team was seen as such a blatant cheat code in the last 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Doltos posted:

I don't even feel like they cheated. They made wise pickups with vets, developed their own elite talent, and then finally added a piece because the first two steps allowed them a lot of cap space. It's no different than the Heat except it took them two years of the big 3 to add the vets. I see no difference between the Heat signing Lebron/Bosh while already having Wade and the Warriors picking up Durant.

To be clear, I don't mean they literally cheated. I don't hate them for accumulating talent like they did. I just mean in terms of how subjectively unfair the roster was vs. everybody else in the league.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

BWV posted:

Maybe the way the Celtics and Lakers stockpiled assets in the 80s? The Lakers getting Worthy was pretty crazy considering how good they were already. Walton to the Celtics was pretty cool too but he was more like Malone going to the 2000s Lakers. Had Bias not died maybe that Celtic team?

But in all those cases it was just adding one guy to an already HoF team, which I guess is the same as the Warriors unless your counting Durant as well as Javale.

I don't think these really compare, though they're as good as guess as I can think of myself.

The peak 80s Celtics had 3 stars up front (Bird/McHale/Parrish) and 2 guards that were nice but not amazing. And their depth was often kind of sketchy, Walton had like 1 season where he was good off the bench for them. Before McHale was a starter he was an epic 6th man... but then you're not starting McHale.

Worthy was rising as a star as Kareem was trailing off. Worthy became the guy we think of as HOLY poo poo WORTY in like 85-86, while Kareem was still a good center but clearly fading by then. I feel like the Lakers ultimately had deeper rosters than the Celtics generally, so they might be a better candidate, relatively speaking.

• Locked thread