Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Warriors won 73 games last year with the unanimous MVP and they had to go out and get a loving ringer, :sad:

But seriously it's insane that LeBron averaged a Russell Westbrook in the Finals and got handily gentlemen-swept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Doltos posted:

I don't even feel like they cheated. They made wise pickups with vets, developed their own elite talent, and then finally added a piece because the first two steps allowed them a lot of cap space. It's no different than the Heat except it took them two years of the big 3 to add the vets. I see no difference between the Heat signing Lebron/Bosh while already having Wade and the Warriors picking up Durant.

They made some savvy moves, sure, but Curry's ankles and the cap explosion were both extremely fortuitous events that made everything possible.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

RaySmuckles posted:

thanks? :shrug:

i was just lucky that as a kid that i picked david robinson as my favorite player and then the spurs got duncan like 5 years later.

anyway, if anyone wanted to see a picture that perfectly encapsulates why everyone in the world should hate the warriors now here you go:

gently caress the warriors

Some day not soon enough the San Andreas Fault will get the last laugh.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i basically only had one and a half good posts but they were pretty prescient at least:

Noctone posted:

Eh, that would probably be a really boring finals. Like a gentleman's sweep at best. With as bad as Cleveland's defense is, I don't think even Lebron going super saiyan can save them from a full strength Warriors squad.

Noctone posted:

LeBron/Kyrie/Love might be able to keep up with GSW's stars but I don't see their bench D not getting eaten alive. Only way they have a chance is if it's a bunch of games like game 5 of the ECF where even though Boston scored a C-note they still got blown out because the Cavs balled out of control on offense

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Away all Goats posted:

So are there any teams that are serious challengers to the Warriors at this point?

The Spurs looked good before the Kawhi injury, maybe if they can move enough contracts to sign CP3 without sacrificing too much depth they have a better chance?

The Cavaliers look stuck unless they decide to seriously reconfigure their roster including the big 3.

Houston isn't close enough, neither are the Clippers if they re-sign CP3.

Best option for both the Cavs and the Spurs is pretty much to just stand pat and hope the Warriors' injury luck finally runs out.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Kibner posted:

Oh, my bad. I meant $42k.

Oh wow a suburb of Baton Rouge is significantly cheaper to live in than San Francisco, do you have any other hard-hitting news for us?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Goddammit Ammanas I was just trying to call out empty stats why you gotta take this down a douchey path.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

OzFactor posted:

The NBA is incredibly entertaining and there is at least one reason to watch every single team, every single night. Except the Magic. But, like, the Magic are going to be playing an interesting team every night! So even the Magic.

Aaron Gordon does cool dunks sometimes. He still plays for Orlando, right?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

TildeATH posted:

Fewer. Less is for things you can't count like air or water, fewer for things you can count like teams or opportunities.

get hosed, nerd

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Michael Corleone posted:

KP and Melo for Love, TT and Smith/Shump contract filler. All those guys LOVE The Triangle!

Porzingis on the Cavs would own so hard.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol five games is like "yeah we don't really care about drugs but we have to pretend like we do"

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Love for PG doesn't seem like a huge upgrade to me, if at all, and more importantly I don't think it gives them an edge over the Warriors. Plus the one-year rental aspect of it poses some pitfalls for their roster situation after next season. I think they'd be a lot better off just sitting pat (maybe try to upgrade their bench where possible) and hope the Warriors don't make it to the Finals injury-free again.

e: but if the Cavs can somehow fleece the Pacers out of PG for a couple of roleplayers and a distant draft pick then by all means go hog wild

Noctone fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 19, 2017

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

this makes my brain hurt

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

pubic works project posted:

One of the things that makes me laugh about the whole PG situation is that he's leaving a franchise that was run by one idiot (Larry Bird) for another (Magic Johnson). I will enjoy it when Magic fucks the Lakers up and they never get higher than 8th in the West. Like just go somewhere cool, PG. Go to Houston or Boston. Play with some good rear end players that are not named D'Angelo Russell or Brandon Ingram.

Well it'll get PG's salary off the books if he walks in addition to whatever assets they give up to acquire PG.

Boston is not, never has been, and never will be cool.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
someone tell me a way the cavs get jimmy buckets and the zinger, i'd love to see those dudes next to lebron

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
i just hope we get some actual craziness, gonna be real boring if there's a flurry of talks but minimal trades

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol what could you possibly get in trade that would be worth it for fuckin' lebron

every other first round pick for at least a couple decades

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

zoux posted:

If Lebron leaves Cleveland again, I assume it wouldn't reach The Decision levels of rage but would it be worse than KD leaving OKC?

hell if anything, this bullshit gilbert is pulling right now ought to be making people give LeBron some retroactive slack for The Decision

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
who cares if the picks get tweeted, there's been no reason to actually watch the draft since stern retired

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
The Bulls are like a person that bought a house on a subprime mortgage, leased a luxury car and ran up $100k in credit card debt then decided to hit the reset button by selling some T-bonds they inherited from their grandfather on Craigslist for pennies on the dollar.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Markelle Fultz's article on The Player's Tribune has some funny poo poo in it.

quote:

A lot happened last week. It’s crazy that it’s only been seven days since I got invited to Philly. I found out last Friday morning. I woke up and thought I was going to Boston for another workout with the Celtics.

Then Keith hit me up and said, “New plan. Philly.”

I was just waking up. So I was like, “O.K., cool. Do they have Chick-fil-A there?”

quote:

Anyway, guess what happened when I showed up to the Sixers training facility? They’d ordered Chick-fil-A. It was there waiting for me on a table. For real. A bunch of sandwiches.

I don’t know how they knew, but they knew.

And I know it’s not a big deal, but a little part of me was thinking, Respect. They did their research.

quote:

Joel came up after I had finished and of course the first thing he said was, “Trust the process.” All the guys took a picture with me and Joel was cracking everyone up. Now I get why he’s so good on Twitter. He’s the same guy in real life. (I’m serious: 75 texts in the last week.)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I hope Embiid gets to gently caress Rihanna some day.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lol allegedly boston could've had jimmy b for just the #3 pick. If true Ainge is a certified dipshit, unless he already has deals in place to get Hayward and PG.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
He's definitely top 15, arguably at the bottom end of the top 10. You could make a case for closer to top 5 using advanced stats.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

euphronius posted:

Lacarr is going to end up dating Jamie Buss and running the Lakers

off-topic but did you have a stroke recently or something? or are you in the middle of an epic bender? because at least like half of your posts as of late have been riddled with typos and double quotes and the like

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
"Whoa I dunno if trading forgettable role players for a still-in-his-prime Hall of Famer is gonna work out."

-An Idiot

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

hahaha oh man even he's smart enough to stay away from that dumpster fire

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Man I was really hoping it was going to turn out that Hayward was all set to sign with Boston until the news was prematurely leaked and then he got so pissed off he did a 180 and resigned with Utah. That would've been even funnier than the DeAndre Jordan hostage situation.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Wait hold up do the Celtics need to offload some contracts before they can officially sign Hayward?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Nick's av is incredibly apt for how this offseason is going for Memphis.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Kinda sad that next season is already a foregone conclusion (barring injury) unless some bonkers stuff happens at the trade deadline.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

attackmole posted:

He's....not wrong?

He probably is though. They were the sixth seed last year (by a comfortable margin) and just added PG, while the two of the five teams above them took heavy hits to their rosters and none of the teams below them made significant upgrades (and in some cases got even worse).

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Man if Ainge's claims are true that teams have been having unreasonable trade demands before, imagine how bad it must be now that everyone has him over a barrel trying to clear room for Hayward's contract.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

warcrimes posted:

Really? cuz he said he'd be taking less if it helped the team re-sign Iggy/Livingston like a month before the season ended. I'm just glad Clark is gone, that he was replaced with Young and Casspi is amazing. McGee and Pachulia are expected to re-sign, too.

He didn't need to take a pay cut that large to keep Iggy and Livingston, so yeah it was unexpected.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
c'mon y'all this offseason has been entertaining as hell don't bore us to death with bay area transit discussions.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I pity the fool who thinks an alley-oop lob pass is boring.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
OK so I've never actually watched Lonzo Ball play until just now and holy poo poo that shot motion. :psyduck:

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Not like Brooklyn's going to be good for a while anyways and they've got to pay someone.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Cleveland's tanking netted them two perennial All Stars in four years, Panzeh. If that's not a haul then I don't know what is.

e: although tbf I suppose the trade for Love probably wouldn't have happened without LeBron returning. But Wiggins and Kyrie still would've been a haul.

Noctone fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I hope Embiid/Fultz/Simmons all stay healthy and ball out next season and then they use all that sweet cap room next summer to bring in LeBron and destroy the world.

• Locked thread