Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Ah, I was worried the stuttering in the video was on my end.

I'm glad to be watching this, as there are so many background details that can only be appreciated in the stills. Other trains in the tunnel, whatever it was that was on/in/is the mountain when the train leaves the tunnel....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
I'm reasonably sure I saw a figure with a hunter's hat watching the train pass by earlier...

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
I definitely saw a hat-wearing person bud didn't go back to examine it. Good LP, interesting game.

Unfortunate that the conspiracy of the school / shelter / missile silo / command center will remain unsolved since we were just passing through. I'll assume that the military were sensible and the cook didn't have access to secure areas, so it was all about schoolchildren's parents wanting the cook to get on board with nutrition insights from Facebook.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Re watching the videos and there is a error in you messages where one is on top of the other at 25:34 in part 3b

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Groovy - I caught a couple little spelling errors too. Probably get a fix out soonish!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Love that the guy has his terrifying murderbot just sort of crammed into his shed.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does this become cohesive once we understand more, or is it chain-of-unconnected-weirdness like Outside?

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
That new avatar....

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

megane posted:

Love that the guy has his terrifying murderbot just sort of crammed into his shed.

I really thought that was going to turn into an awful boss fight.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

So, it's already been touched on, but I feel like my biggest problem with this game so far is the severe case of Silent Protagonism suffered by our guy here. It's one thing to have a silent protagonist like Link, where he gives what are presumably fairly generic responses, but when your character has some things it seems like he actually says, I feel like we're potentially missing out on a lot of info, as well as the fact that our guy here has actual characterization that we only get half of.

(Loving this LP, though)

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Thanks to the LP, I picked up the PS4 version. Baxter makes the combat look easy!

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Why do you hate windows? Great LP though! So calm and creepy.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

Does this become cohesive once we understand more, or is it chain-of-unconnected-weirdness like Outside?

Depends on what you're looking for - we'll never get put into a room with a guy who knows everything and wants to explain everything, in detail, to us.

On the other hand, I believe I have a pretty good idea of what happened, what various things are/why they happened. Things that aren't delved into as deeply are generally less important, in my opinion. It's not as clear as a lot of people would like, but it's...

If anybody watched my LP of Lone Survivor (or played it themselves), it's about as clear in the end as that game was. I'm pretty confident I know what happened and why, but not all the details, and nobody spells it all out at once ever.

azren posted:

So, it's already been touched on, but I feel like my biggest problem with this game so far is the severe case of Silent Protagonism suffered by our guy here. It's one thing to have a silent protagonist like Link, where he gives what are presumably fairly generic responses, but when your character has some things it seems like he actually says, I feel like we're potentially missing out on a lot of info, as well as the fact that our guy here has actual characterization that we only get half of.

(Loving this LP, though)

Yeah, agreed. I don't actually know what we gain from not hearing ourselves.

If I wanted to find a reason, and I fully admit I'm straining to play devil's advocate here, I'd say it's because the team wanted to make SURE that we were experiencing our character through his actions only, as opposed to his talk. One theme in the game is duplicity - lots of people say one thing but have another intent. The military and the state keep people in the dark, Adam Thornton kind of looks like he's trying to help us, but is also hanging out with the conspiracy folks in the secret speakeasy. Some of our passengers are big talkers, but never actually do anything - they're just passively fed, cared for, and carted around. Opposing that, we are an active agent in the scene.

But on the other hand, the actions really aren't our OWN. We're following orders, and every change we get, we try to find out information about what's going on at home.

Well, that is to say, I do. Interestingly, the stuff about calling home is all optional, and it's just about the only optional stuff out there (besides exploring and talking to people, both activities that enrich OUR understanding of the universe, but don't directly serve the parties who have authority over us).

So here we are, at the classic high-school poetry or short story interpretation dilemma. Reading in to these mechanics is interesting, but how do we know it was intentional?

And my answer to that is the same as I was taught back then - sure, maybe not. Maybe it just happened that way, but if you realize that the actions and narrative works out a certain way, or shows off how life is or could be in some circumstances, and that's cool or interesting or moving to you? Just take it, and don't worry about if you're overthinking!

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I really thought [the murderbot in the shed] was going to turn into an awful boss fight.

Ditto. I wonder if it was originally intended to be? I can tell that SOME features were likely cut from the game by looking at their website's art assets. That could be one?

Bacter fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 21, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Hey incidentally, I reached out to the devs, and they're down to answer any questions. So as we go along, if anything stands out as something about the inspiration, development decisions, influences, etc. that you'd like to know, free to note it for me and I'll pass it along with some questions of my own.

Also I mean you can ASK about plot stuff, but my guess is they'll be really cagey about it. That seems to be how these things go.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Bacter posted:

Hey incidentally, I reached out to the devs, and they're down to answer any questions. So as we go along, if anything stands out as something about the inspiration, development decisions, influences, etc. that you'd like to know, free to note it for me and I'll pass it along with some questions of my own.

Also I mean you can ASK about plot stuff, but my guess is they'll be really cagey about it. That seems to be how these things go.

I'd just love some recommendations of media to check out that inspired the feel of the world if they had any.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
The atmosphere of the noncombat areas strongly reminds me of The 99 Rooms project. Especially in the more overtly unsettling spots.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I know you didn't like the official art of the driver, but he has to be pretty goddamn ripped to be able to pull toilets out of their foundations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Guy can throw a cardboard box hard enough to kill someone, he must have biceps like sacks of concrete

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

You know, that IS a point. Maybe we'll learn some new information about things? And stuff?

So this next section is kind of the best of times / worst of times for me. It's got PROBABLY my favorite level in the game, sandwiched between some mediocre ones. The plot fares better - by this point, the motivations and revelations are swirling around like a big 'ol apocalyptic stew! The aforementioned "favorite level" is in part B (which is still Ripbotting - I'll have it up tomorrow mornin'), and I want to know if you like it too. They took a risk, and either it'll land for you or it won't!

I am starting to wonder how much each level might have an individual reference or theme - I'll have to do some thinking. I'm adding Silent Hill into my list of probable reference material, as well! I don't know 99 rooms though - something I'll look into! Anybody else who senses something, speak up!

Alright let's roll

(Note: there's yellow text in one bit. Nothing special, but there's a lot of white in the background, and the white text was super hard to read)

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
You've got the Deadwood video listed as 3A on Youtube. Threw me for a loop when I saw it there before I checked the thread.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

While we don't know precisely how much the gas elevates people, it appears to make them strong enough to tear apart an army of goomen with their bare hands.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
What do the flappy-tentacle-hugmonsters actually do, anyway? It didn't look as though you were hurt by the hug, do they just stop you from shooting or something?

And are you planning on picking Night in the Woods back up sometime? I was really enjoying it.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So, question. When all our passengers are so consistently hungry, why haven't we needed to eat anything this entire game?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

According to the train manual of operations, conductors are exempt from normal biological processes, and must turn in all injuries upon entering the train car.

Because the devs wanted to make it impossible to be profligate with resources, and impossible to beat the game after sinking a couple hours in

inflatablefish posted:

What do the flappy-tentacle-hugmonsters actually do, anyway? It didn't look as though you were hurt by the hug, do they just stop you from shooting or something?

And are you planning on picking Night in the Woods back up sometime? I was really enjoying it.

I, uh, actually don't know. I've always gone berzerk and meleed them off before anything could happen, and the wiki entry on enemies for The Final Station is, let's say, less than helpful. My guess is that after a short delay they start biting you? Further experiments necessary.

Absolutely - I'd intended to do it while this was ongoing, but work + quick updates to one LP is about all I can squeeze in! Only one main-game update to go!

Edit So, just a note about how deep the bunker is, assuming km isn't a typo: If this planet was roughly earth-sized, it would be somewhere kind of close to the mantle/core boundary. At this depth, the pressure would approach ~1.3 million ATM. So.... we've got PRETTY GOOD TECH!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jun 24, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This whole setting gives a very 'Papers, Please' mashed with 'Bloodborne', it's highly unusual.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
There must be somthing odd going on with that train, why are people getting so desperately hungry so quickly? and why did that doctor say he only got a scratch when he was bleeding to death earlier? I'm sure the weird engine has somthing to do with it.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

[quote="Bacter" post=""473719055"]I, uh, actually don't know. I've always gone berzerk and meleed them off before anything could happen, and the wiki entry on enemies for The Final Station is, let's say, less than helpful.
[/quote]

A truly in-depth article right there.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is my phone browser loving up or is that page really one sentence long?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

marshmallow creep posted:

Is my phone browser loving up or is that page really one sentence long?

There's the related achievements expandable category but uhhh yep. That's a useless page.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

"ENEMIES: YES"

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Is there a translation for what is written at the base of that last statue?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah so far I was seen what looks like Cyrillic, Hangul, and...katakana? writing on walls in addition to the English stuff we are expected to read.

Like the "if you can read this YOU ARE IN DANGER!" that passes out of view as we enter Metropole.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
There's definitely Japanese. Haven't noticed the Hangeul.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

I can take a look for sure. I was informed in uh, no uncertain terms, in the Japanese language thread that this game's Japanese lettering doesn't always make sense. Their Russian and Finnish is much better.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Bacter posted:

I can take a look for sure. I was informed in uh, no uncertain terms, in the Japanese language thread that this game's Japanese lettering doesn't always make sense. Their Russian and Finnish is much better.

Umm.. odd personal request on my side, but could you give me a link to the thread? (Could use some additional study material)
Thank you.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

The big Japanese signs at the end in Metropole say "CENTRAL WOOL;" the kanji are pretty messily-drawn but my best guess is 毛糸 (keito) meaning wool or yarn.

The smaller sign says "minna" which means "everybody."

:iiam:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Hm. Seems like we're to the end of running trains to places, but I suppose we've still got some dungeon-crawling to do, which is what the money is for?

Then again I wouldn't put us past running a desperate escape shuttle.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

OutofSight posted:

Umm.. odd personal request on my side, but could you give me a link to the thread? (Could use some additional study material)
Thank you.

Sure, Here it is

megane posted:

The big Japanese signs at the end in Metropole say "CENTRAL WOOL;" the kanji are pretty messily-drawn but my best guess is 毛糸 (keito) meaning wool or yarn.

The smaller sign says "minna" which means "everybody."

:iiam:

Woah, thanks! I'm guessing they went with words indicating universality or centrality to drive home that this is The City

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

So it looks like the lettering on the statue, "Стругацкие A." is a reference to Arkady Strugatsky, or "Аркадий Стругацкий", one half of the Strugatsky Brothers, (very) famous (in Eastern Europe) science fiction writers.

Interestingly, it looks like a good number of their books include the idea that aliens are guiding people from earth to a higher plane of existence / way of living, as dictated in their "Noon universe" books. These books SOUND (at least from the descriptions) to be a good deal more optimistic about the process than The Final Station is - aliens are doing this basically in secret, for the explicit benefit of mankind.

It's also notable that (again, from the descriptions) the novels seem very pro-communist. We don't really know a whole lot about the structure and society of this world, except that I'd say 1) our country in particular is certainly not Communist, but 2) the common villain for communist works of art, the owner of the huge factory, is presented in a pretty complex way. He's maybe in on the conspiracy, but maybe isn't, and gave us the crystal that helps us resist? But has also maybe bargained himself to safety?

If this game is meant to be some commentary on Communism or capitalism, it's certainly not obvious to me! Unless somebody knows a particular work of the Strugatsky brothers that this game is referencing, I think it's probably more likely just a shout-out to a team of authors they respected.

EDIT: Uh, ok, so "Roadside Picnic", maybe their most famous short story? is a PRETTY clear inspiration, dealing as it does with aliens who come to earth in what's called "The Visitation", and leave behind a bunch of weird artifacts that people explore. The game does significantly depart from the story, in that there's no second visitation, and in a couple other ways.

EDIT EDIT: Apparently, both S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and Metro 2033 were 'heavily inspired' by this story! Kinda cool!

Bacter fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
I think my least favorite part of the game is not getting to see the conversations in the train. I get that it's neat that people carry on a conversation without you there (though it's silly when the scientist is talking to just you and apparently keeps rambling after you step away), but it's aggravating nonetheless. It's also frustrating that passengers' need for food and health tick down over time after the train arrives. The game is actively punishing you for listening to its content.

• Locked thread