Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

My brother in law just rented a 30x64 shop next to his land that they're having a house built on. The floors are wood, does anyone have any insight on weight loads or what framing/spacing would be ideal for a wood floor shop? He just bought a compact tractor, that would likely be the heaviest thing to be parked in there other than a very occasional car or something.

That building looks like it'd be set on a slab though, so maybe it's just plywood over a concrete floor, maybe someone put it down because the floor was some level of gross or beat up and it's just laid over the top.

What's the foundation like and/or pull up some plywood and take a look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

The floors are wood, does anyone have any insight on weight loads or what framing/spacing would be ideal for a wood floor shop? He just bought a compact tractor, that would likely be the heaviest thing to be parked in there other than a very occasional car or something.

I mean.....nobody can say except the person he's renting it from I'd expect. Or whoever built it. Because it all depends on what the floor assembly is made of and structured. I mean....it's got a garage door on it. What else would it be used for other than vehicles that need a door that size?

Also, compact tractors aren't all that heavy, under a ton for sure even with a loader and cab.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Pull up a panel and see what's underneath. If it's not concrete, lol.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Best case like was said, if it's got a slab under it and the wood just covers it you should be golden, but if not yeesh.

Motronic posted:

I mean.....nobody can say except the person he's renting it from I'd expect. Or whoever built it. Because it all depends on what the floor assembly is made of and structured. I mean....it's got a garage door on it. What else would it be used for other than vehicles that need a door that size?

Also, compact tractors aren't all that heavy, under a ton for sure even with a loader and cab.

Good points, but that's assuming the person who built it took the time to figure out loading ~or~ potentially just used overhead doors for easy access for storage/moving junk.. and never meant a full size vehicle to go in.

I guess if a person wanted to you could throw a couple 2x8s or something on the floor where the vehicle would come/go to spread the load whatever the framing is underneath. But it's still a yeesh.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Concrete is expensive, ok?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

It's a deck with a building on top! Nah, it's probably concrete.

Wasn't there a goon years ago who had an upstairs garage with a wood floor? Like, house was on the edge of a hill or something.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

ThinkFear posted:

The issue is more the outlet than the contactor. Normally those enclosed NEMA starters are 240V coils fed unfused off the line side of the contactor. Listed assembly and all that but not something you want to hang a receptacle off of 1 leg of without proper fusing. Unless it's only a 240V/20A feed (not sure how big the compressor is), but then you start worrying about increasing the mca/mop to carry the additional load and you aren't at 20A any more. Two valves won't draw much and in a personal shop you can be pretty sure that no one is going to decide that's a great place to plug in a floor buffer, but you paint yourself in a corner a bit if you ever want to upgrade to a bigger compressor or add a refrigerated dryer.

Please don't install a 1/8" valve on your main air line.

Long time to come back to this, but I got everything wired up tonight. Switch, receptacle, all connected. Aaaand, yeah, it needs a RIB. Everything works great with the switch on. With the switch off, however, if the pressure switch closes, the other phase from the other side of the 208V coil end up feeding the receptacle. Which means the valve opens and the drain fires every 45 minutes. Whoops. It's either a RIB or a 120V coil. The coil is $150. The RIB is $10. RIB it is!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got off my rear end and cleaned up the workbench area this weekend, it’s been an absolute mess the last two months with projects and not having time to clean it up. So nice to have everything neat again.

I’m starting down the road of painting my garage and began prepping the back wall this weekend. It’s gonna be a massive pain in the rear end especially around the third bay workbench area but I don’t think it’s been painted since the house was built over 25yrs ago. Gonna do a base layer of kilz first. Soooo much wall prep is needed, there are holes everywhere.

I’m gonna do the back wall, workbench area, and a small section of wall in between the garage doors a dark grey, then the rest of the walls a bright white. I’m also going to use crimson red as an accent color but I still haven’t decided what exactly I’m going to paint with it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Motronic posted:

Woodworking shop is all I can imagine.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

This is an interesting thread and I wonder if anyone could give me some ideas for my garage.
I'm in the UK, moved house a couple of years ago and have my first proper garage space. It's not big - 1 car which over here means about 8x17' but it's so good to have. The previous owners were going to convert it into an extra room so it has plasterboard walls and a chipboard floor with insulation underneath. I only need space for a motorbike so I've put a partition wall up and made an office in the back with space for a bike and tools in the front.
It's all good but in the 'garage' side of it I've just got the bare chipboard floor. This is kind of OK but it's gradually getting oilier and dirtier and I can see it could easily get damaged. I'm looking for ideas for a floor covering I can put over the wood as I don't want to loose the insulation. It needs to be non slip as it will get wet. I don't know what a suitable flooring would be called, I just keep getting garage floor paint when I search. Any ideas?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Maybe look for kitchen floor solutions. Similar requirements, really. With more likelihood of being wet and greasy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Garage flooring roll.

With half a 8*17 you could throw down a 3mm roll and be done on 15 minutes. They're tough and wipe clean

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I've got pennylok tiles in mine, but I've not used it enough to offer much of an opinion on them. Fitting was easy. I only paid £2 a tile by just dropping in to the manufacturer in Hampshire. They made from recycled cable insulation, which made me feel a bit better.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

trouser chili posted:

Woodworking shop is all I can imagine.

You are correct. I got to see the shop in person last week, no concrete underneath. It's definitely weird for an otherwise well built shop. The tractor seems to be ok on the floor, I don't know that I'd want to park a car in there though.

Wood floor or not I'm insanely jealous, it's 32'x60' with 12' walls.

grunthaas
Mar 4, 2003

Great, thanks for the ideas about the flooring, that roll looks like what Im after.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

dreesemonkey posted:

You are correct. I got to see the shop in person last week, no concrete underneath. It's definitely weird for an otherwise well built shop. The tractor seems to be ok on the floor, I don't know that I'd want to park a car in there though.

Yeah it's easy to look at a tractor and think they're lightweight compared to a car, but this little loader tractor of mine punches in around 2000lbs with a rider. I also park it on a wood shed floor. Anyway, if you know the tractor model you can look up the base weight on https://www.tractordata.com. Might help with decision making if you find out it's really a beast.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Lighting chat: I bought a 10 pack of these ultra-cheap LED light bars and I gotta say so far they're awesome.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07Z7TX...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I hung them all up and the garage is now lit like never before. It makes me want to really go through it and make it nice.

I'm going to go through and cable manage the wires up to the ceiling, and call it permanent. All that stuff in the foreground by the red car needs to go to the dump, and once it does we can fit a 4th car back in here. My dad wants to do it week by week stuffing it in to our ONE trash can, I just want it out. Plus, you can't get plywood scraps in the can. One $20 pickup load to the dump will get rid of it permanently. Then it's just a matter of de-cluttering the workbenches and shelves. There's actually stuff still here from when I moved out in 1991. I'm super excited about it, it's actually a great space for working.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

trouser chili posted:

Yeah it's easy to look at a tractor and think they're lightweight compared to a car, but this little loader tractor of mine punches in around 2000lbs with a rider. I also park it on a wood shed floor. Anyway, if you know the tractor model you can look up the base weight on https://www.tractordata.com. Might help with decision making if you find out it's really a beast.

This: tractors are STUPID heavy- they gain their tractive effort as a combo of their tyres and massive weight pushing it down into the earth- the big quad track tractors are 48-60,000lb!

Even my old 1969 Massey Ferguson 135 with a front loader and ballasted tyres is close to three tonnes.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Any recs for a garage workbench LED light that I can mount to the wall and perhaps has some adjustability also? This would be something to plug into an outlet vs. hard wire.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

What have we here:

Nice:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I was really hoping it was gonna be the thing in the second picture.

:nice:

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer
I like it, is that the Costco one? I've been eyeing one of those up, how is it? I'm worried it might actually be a bit too big...

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Very nice. I've got the same table and it's held up really well so far. I still need to weld a 2" receiver to the underside so I can slide in a vice when needed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah, looks good. I could use a bigger box than what I have, although what I'm having trouble with is storage for larger things like my battery charger, sawzall and mini vac. Right now they kind of just lay around or stuff on/under a shelf. They need a home. Then all I need is a few more drawers for seldom used items. My main toolbox has 3 drawers that are overstuffed.

Now that I think about it, it's the dremel drawer that's wasting space, I don't need the whole case or about 90% of the bits that come in kits. I should purge that and open up space.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Megabook posted:

I like it, is that the Costco one? I've been eyeing one of those up, how is it? I'm worried it might actually be a bit too big...

Nope, I forgot to check what Costco was offering. It's the Home Depot / Husky 56". It's an absolute beast, which that photo doesn't really show. It's 5'8" tall closed, I only got it because I'm tall enough to make good use of the top compartment. I mocked it out on grid paper and full size in my garage before making the purchase to have some confidence it would fit.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Very nice. I've got the same table and it's held up really well so far. I still need to weld a 2" receiver to the underside so I can slide in a vice when needed.

Like a trailer receiver? I ordered this Wen 5" Bench Vise to mount on the bench top.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Aquila posted:

Like a trailer receiver? I ordered this Wen 5" Bench Vise to mount on the bench top.

Yup standard 2 or 2.5 inch trailer receiver so I can slide in a vice when needed but it's otherwise out of the way. So far I haven't needed a vice often enough to dedicate a corner of the bench to one.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

Yup standard 2 or 2.5 inch trailer receiver so I can slide in a vice when needed but it's otherwise out of the way. So far I haven't needed a vice often enough to dedicate a corner of the bench to one.
I've never used a receiver hitch before, but is there any play when a vice is mounted like that?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Megabook posted:

I've never used a receiver hitch before, but is there any play when a vice is mounted like that?

Not really, worst case you can hammer a wood or plastic shim in there to firm it up. Might get a little bounce if you're really hammering on it but keep the distance between the vice and the receiver short and you'll be ok.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

NitroSpazzz posted:

Not really, worst case you can hammer a wood or plastic shim in there to firm it up. Might get a little bounce if you're really hammering on it but keep the distance between the vice and the receiver short and you'll be ok.

The flop around pretty badly, but it's easy to shim or weld a little nub to take up the slack.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I move my whole workbench tightening my little vise sometimes. I feel like an adapter would be much worse. And having one at the ready at all times is super useful and they don't take up much room. I use mine all the time for little stuff even. It's an extra set of hands, basically.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Suburban Dad posted:

I move my whole workbench tightening my little vise sometimes. I feel like an adapter would be much worse. And having one at the ready at all times is super useful and they don't take up much room. I use mine all the time for little stuff even. It's an extra set of hands, basically.

I've got one bolted to both my benches, but I've got receivers on both as well. My bench grinder has a hitch tube on it, as do multiple vises. It's really nice to be able to swap stuff in and out, plus I've got a hitch extension for my truck that lets me stick a vise on my truck which is useful too.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Since it’s too cold to paint, I decided to finally build the replacement for the crappy hat/coat/backpack hanger I took off the wall before I started patching and painting.

Took the opportunity to lower it from the previous height so the kids could reach it easier, which conveniently made enough room to finally mount some art on that wall. Once spring gets here and it’s a more suitable temperature, I’ll be putting on the final wall paint coat. When it gets to that point when I’m ready to paint and I have to take this board off, I’ll sand and finish it then.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Thinking about painting and putting a new top on my work bench - as of right now, its a painted few slabs of hardwood. The bench itself is a very old kitchen cabinet from a late 20s mansion in Beverly Hills - My grandfather spotted this cabinet it on his way to work, he said the house was being remodeled. He strapped it to the top of his 49 ford in 2 pieces and It's been in my garage since the mid 50s. The house it came out of would later become Sonny and Cher's house.

you can see the state of it in this pic, with an unrelated project in the 40's craftsman vise.

the last time it was painted was when I was a kid in the late 80s. It has a lot of character, but the main work area is becoming rather worn down - I'd love to put a top on it and freshen it up a bit - I wanted to paint the front and side of it a industrial gray, but the character of the top is something I care about a lot, but its become kind of a pain to work on, and I got a really nasty splinter from it last week. because it looks so cool, I would probably just leave the top as is and put something over the top of it to kinda preserve it.

The top is just about 12' long and sticks off the wall about 22" - on the far side, not pictured, is another tool box and my surface plate.

I've had a few ideas about custom sized butcher blocks, but the cost for such a large surface is a bit out of reach at the moment, unless I'm just not looking in the right places, and ive seen some pretty cool tops made out of plained and laminated 2x4's, but I don't really have too many wood working resources or tools to do the job myself. I've flirted with the idea of doing a sheet metal top as well, but I do such a variety of stuff, I feel it would be kinda wasteful. I do however love the idea of having a drip/debris rail for ease of cleaning.

thoughts?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

We gotta talk about that Craftsman toolbox. Because the one I have from my grandfather looks the same but dark gray (maybe the same color as that bottom box/cabinet).

I'm not out in the barn to take pics but I will tomorrow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
are you sure that workbench surface is not plywood? that's what it looks like...

I wouldn't overthink it, just put a new sheet of plywood down and get back to hammering on it

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
the bottom box with 2 drawers is the only craftsman part - the top box is a Union Super Steel machinist box - I found it at a wholesale factory that had a bunch of insane crap in it on the east coast while I was on vacation, I loved it so much, I bought it, then shipped it home to myself. the color of the craftsman box is the color I want to paint the bench and backsplash.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

One thing I love for workbench tops is a sheet of 1/4" plastic. Either polycarbonate, ABS, or PVC. If you did clear polycarbonate you could see the old benchtop or do something decorative.

Basically it's tough, replaceable, and doesn't damage whatever you're working on. You just want something that doesn't crack or shatter like acrylic. You could cement a rim on it as well, just a strip around the perimeter.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Twelve years ago a friend of mine found two massive, brand new conference room doors sitting out on the dock to be discarded where he worked, a massive Corp headquarters. He swung by with his pickup and grabbed both after hours. His housewarming present was to drop one off when my wife and I closed our first house.

I bought some cabinets from habitat restore, bolted them all together, then trimmed down and installed the door as my workbench top. Granted, I’m not doing much more than general homeowner handyman stuff but it has held up very well to the abuse so far. I even moved it to the second house and adapted it to the new space. I have multiple tools that I can bolt in place of the vise, like a bench grinder.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Really excited I finally broke down and ordered a tig welder. I currently have a hobart handler 210 mvp, which is great. But a lot of the welding I end up doing is smaller and in strange positions which makes using the mig not ideal. This is what I ended up ordering, which based on what I could see is well regarded enough.

https://www.eastwood.com/tig-200-digital.html

I'm going to have to modify the welding cart I made for the mig welder so I can put another tank on the back and put the tig welder on the bottom. I would just make / buy another cart but I absolutely do not have room in my garage. I'm excited to be able to weld aluminum in the garage as I've been having to go to friends houses for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LobsterboyX posted:

the bottom box with 2 drawers is the only craftsman part - the top box is a Union Super Steel machinist box - I found it at a wholesale factory that had a bunch of insane crap in it on the east coast while I was on vacation, I loved it so much, I bought it, then shipped it home to myself. the color of the craftsman box is the color I want to paint the bench and backsplash.

Ahhhh, okay, I can see the difference in the lid now. I was asking because this was my grandfathers box:

I haven't seen one of those bottom carts/drawer things from that era before but now I know what I need to be looking out for when this box goes into use again for actual machining stuff.