Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Long story short, I bought a condo back in January and I am starting to figure out how the thing is built. I'm getting around to throwing LEDs in my garage, so I removed one of the fluorescent fixtures since I need to put in an outlet where it is to plug in one or two of the LEDs.

I found that the fixture was hardwired with a round ceiling box that has a 2.75" screw spacing, and that ceiling box is held by one of the braces that connects between two joists. The garage ceiling is double 5/8" drywall so I really want to avoid loving with it more than I already have.

Question becomes - can I replace the round ceiling box with a metal single or double gang with a GFCI receptacle in there, or do I need to cut two more holes so I can replace it with an entire brace assembly with box? Looks like the single gang has the same mounting holes as the old round box. I really don't want to cut a bunch of holes to run wire and mount boxes to joists, but if I have to... well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The rework boxes like that don’t accommodate the extra layer of drywall, I have some here that I tried. I could hack up the upper layer of drywall, but that seems ghetto. :v:

I just don’t know if changing the hanger with round box to have a different box somehow violates code since I’m not using the assembly as designed.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LloydDobler posted:

That's exactly what I was going to suggest.

meatpimp posted:

Gfci is typically for damp locations, is something driving that need? Or would this work? https://www.gordonelectricsupply.co...WhoCrC0QAvD_BwE

I couldn't find them in stock locally and I also wasn't sure if it would work with my box since the screw spacing on it is 2.75" (which seems weird to me).
I'll order two and see if it fits once it arrives, worst case I can use it somewhere else down the line.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Apr 5, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

LloydDobler posted:

I also don't have the balls to impact gun struts apart without compressors, even though I've seen it on youtube a dozen times.
Only way to fly, just aim in a safe direction

o7