Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat, I'm jealous. I swear I'm organizing the garage between xmas and new year's this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

poo poo those Husky tool chests are cheaper than the Harbor Freight ones, are they as good or better? I know the HF ones are actually pretty well received.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My garage currently only has a single fluorescent fixture with two bulbs, on a single side of the garage. I'd like to at least get a fixture on the other side, and maybe replace the current fixture if modern LED lighting is better than the old school garage lights. I'm renting right now so I want to do it cheap, is something like this decent enough?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Looks like the costco ones go on sale for $20, but those amazon ones are tempting too. Anyone know how often the costco ones go on sale?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I bought some of the cheapest, on-sale LED garage lights from Ace Hardware and just put one up in my garage (which before only had a single fluorescent fixture with 2 bulbs) and the improvement is amazing. You can really tell the difference having them on side by side, and I'll definitely be taking the fluorescent one down to be replaced by my extra LED light. Highly recommend them to anyone who needs more light in their garage. They also turn on instantly in the cold.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

LMAO that the meter doesn't spin

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

No one has ever regretted having additional garage space, but if you're building it from scratch and paying out of pocket you still have to do a cost-benefit analysis. That said, I've had widely varying amounts of garage space over the years and more is always better.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Crunchy Black posted:

If we don’t have a sailboat racing thread, we need one.

I got a chance to stay on a 90ft Swan that races and that whole world is crazy. Sounds like a lot of fun both during and especially after the races though.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What were those LED lights that go on the garage door itself? I tried searching for things like "led lights that go on garage door itself" but I'm just getting poo poo about lights in the actual opener

*edit*

This is what I was thinking of, but I'm not going to drop $325 when I'm just renting my current place. I don't need them to automatically come on, I could just add some stick on lights to the door for when I'm trying to work on stuff with the door open

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 22, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Of course I threw away all my old power supplies in my last move, but you can get a 12V 10A supply on amazon for $20, or a 12V 20A for $42. Looks like the LED light strips you want are the 5630s, and they're $10/16 ft strip on ebay.

Those pogo connectors look promising but unless I'm missing something it looks like I'd need to put them in a small enclosure with holes drilled in it to keep them in place. I'm also not quite sure what they connect to. Ignoring the having it turn on and off automatically issue, I could build something decent for ~$60 it seems (assuming two 16ft strips provides enough light for one garage door sized area). It's not like I'm working on my bike every time I open the garage door anyway, I could just manually connect it when needed.

*edit*
maybe a magnetic power connector?

these handle 6A each so I think 4 of them would be fine for my purposes.

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 22, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I ended up doing:

2 16ft LED strip lights - 5630, cool white, non-waterpoof - $19.73
12V / 150W / 12.5A power supply - $41.74
10 pack strip to strip with wire LED connectors - $8.81
6 pairs high current magnetic pogo charging connectors - $32.94 (half of that was shipping)

I may end up needing other things, but I'll start from there. It was hard to find a decently priced power supply with good reviews, my main focus was avoiding ones where people thought they were fire hazards. None of the LED strip connectors had great ratings so I just went with these.

My sole goal for this lighting is to light up the space where I work on my bikes, so I'm going to cut each strip in half and have four 8 ft sections of LED light overhead, even spaced. I'm not sure if that will be enough light, but 120W of LEDs seems like it should be more than adequate. I have no idea how this will all turn out, but I'll post the results when everything gets here. I probably should have added on some Scotch heavy duty mounting tape to the total price list, and the LED strips don't usually get great reviews on the stock mounting tape.

*edit*
I looked for coiled leads and didn't have great luck then decided why not way overly complicate things with this magnetic design?

*another edit*
I just canceled the power supply order, I realized as it is right now it would be on 100% of the time but only have a load when the garage door was open. A computer power supply would probably be better because I could just have it short the two wires that turn on the PSU when the door is open. I'll have to think this through more but I'm open to ideas

MomJeans420 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 22, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Niiiiiiiiiiice, but what is the car going on top?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is that a targa / t-top? I'm not an older American car guy but as far as I can tell from Google those didn't come out until 1976

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I don't get the OA5599 reference

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nice, I actually love that movie but I haven't seen it in what must be 15 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

slidebite posted:

Anyone here ever done lights on the inside of a garage door? I think someone posted something here a couple months ago and I love that idea.. but haven't put a lot of thought into it yet.

That was in relation to this system for LEDs on the garage door. I bought the parts to get my DIY attempt going, but I'm also restoring an old bike, cleaning my garage, busy at work, AND I have a six week old baby, so progress has been slow.

I bought two of these 5630 LED strips in cool white, these strip connectors, an old power supply I have lying around, and these magnetic power connectors.

So far I cut one strip in half and used the supplied tape to stick it to the garage door, then connected it to a spare motorcycle battery to see if it worked. I just wanted to see how bright it is and knew I needed to mount it later with 3M tape (the supplied tape is useless), so I didn't measure and do it evenly.

It turns out if you're a big oaf and step on the lights while they're on the ground, you will in fact break the rest of the strip which is why they're not the same length. The trickiest part is going to be the magnetic connectors, if I can't get that working I'll just make a power source I can plug in when I want to use the lights, but my goal was to have them automatically turn on when the door is open. Two magnetic connectors for each strip (and each strip is cut in half but connected back to itself), then another two to turn on the power supply by shorting pin 14 when the door is open.

I want the halves of the strips farther apart than the connectors I bought allow, so I either need to cut them then solder some longer wire in the middle, or possibly move to right angle connectors and have lights going 12" to the night half a strip (giving the lights a U shape on the door).