Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Working on fixing the lighting situation in my garage. Despite the previous owner being a car guy he was apparently OK with just 3 100 watt incandescent light bulbs in a 3 car garage. Today I swapped one of those bulbs for 6 4k lumen LED fixtures on the single car/workshop side of the garage (plus the drop light). Ignore the huge mess. I just bought the place and I'm still unpacking, organizing, and figuring out the layout. I need to remove/relocate those shelves as they're just in the way right now.

Next weekend I'll get the remaining 4 fixtures up on the other side of the garage and prep for the 3 more that will go in whenever I decide to brave Costco and get some more. Odd number of fixtures on that side due to the hanging rack.

I also need to redo that garage door opener mount. I just needed to get the thing up there so I could go to bed and then use get measurements to do it properly, but my temporary solution is at risk of becoming permanent.

Soon(ish) either a 60 or 80 gallon air compressor and then a lathe and a mill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

NitroSpazzz posted:

How do you like that ceiling mounted storage? I've thought about sticking a couple of those in the garage but low (8') ceilings has held me off for now.

I like it but I've got 10.5' ceilings on that side so it gives me a good amount of storage space in otherwise wasted space. Of course since it's ~8' up it's also a bit of a pain to get stuff up and down. It's basically going to be like attic space since my attic isn't very accessible. I'm going to add some hooks to hang stuff from it that I want more accessible.

The rack itself (MonsterRax) is fine but it could be a bit better. The wire shelf is made up of 4 sections and they're all like 1/2" too narrow so until I put some filler piece up there's a fairly big gap. This is apparently intentional but I think it's pretty annoying. The shelf pieces also just sit on the long beams and can slide to either side. I'll be doing something to lock them in place.
The ceiling mounting brackets and hardware all feel a bit thin/small. It's probably fine but I'm still tempted to beef it up a bit.
I installed it solo and other than getting the 8' beams up it was pretty quick and easy.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 20, 2020

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Just keep gluing fresh sheets on top. Researchers in the future will be able to estimate the age of your bench by counting the rings layers.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

The usual suggestion are the feit lights from Costco which are or are about to go on sale for $18 each in store. https://www.costco.com/feit-electric-4%27-linkable-led-shop-light%2c-2-pack.product.100462723.html
I had 8 of them in my old garage and I've got 10 in my new one with 3 more to put up. I'm a fan of them.

However:

meatpimp posted:

Light chat -- I've needed more light in my garage for a while. I started out with two 4-bulb 4' florescent and 1 bulb in each of the 2 door openers. A few years ago, I replaced the florescents with led and the tied the door openers into Costco 2 tube led fixtures with a plug adapter in the sockets. That was okay for a while. It's been... okay, but not great.

Yesterday I replaced one of the Costco 2 tube fixtures with four 36w Amazon 2 tube leds: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TM97LWY

Big difference.

Old Costco on the left, old 4 tube on the right. You can't tell from the picture, but the row of 4 fixtures absolutely dominates the light output. I think I'll get 4 more and hook them up to the other door opener, then get new led replacement tubes. I just need to get back into those fixtures, I think I removed the ballast and hardwired the leds in when I did it, so I'll have to see what the modern replacement is.

Output per dollar, though? Those Amazon lights are pretty nice. And yes, I need to dust the garage ceiling.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I plan on adding a mini-split to mine but I need to insulate the walls and replace the doors first.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I think they start reproducing on their own once you get a few of them together

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Could use some AI advice on paint/epoxy/other sealant options for a cement garage floor.

Wife and I are in escrow on our first home and it has a pretty sizable garage which will be great fun to get dialed in for car projects.

Major work may have to wait as we prioritize what needs to get done asap on the house, but for the garage specifically it seems to me the easiest time to do the floor is while it's empty and not full of all our poo poo.

My buddy said to avoid Home Depot for this and get a kit from an industrial supplier like this one.

So who's done the epoxy floor thing, any horror/success stories? It sounds like prep is the most important part, not unlike painting a car.

No experience with this company https://concretefloorsolutions.com/online-store/ but they from the videos they seem competent https://www.youtube.com/user/jkehnel/videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

AI tool thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2788369