Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Kitchen counter height is a good starting point, so is groin height I believe. If you're doing a lot of fine detail type work it should be set higher. An adjustable shop stool helps a lot in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Tremek posted:

Fair. I think it's shaping up that the garage will be semi-detached (spec'd and the foundation poured independent of the house, but then later we will likely build an enclosed breezeway or the like) so a sub-panel is either likely or necessary? In which case yeah, doing my research on arc-fault breakers.

Thank you all so far for the input btw, I'm compiling a list that I expect will give me sticker shock and then I can start peeling back the really-wants from the sort-of-wants.

Have you looked around on Garagejournal at all? Lots of info and build logs, I'm sure you'll get some good feedback if you made a thread.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 24, 2019

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

tangy yet delightful posted:

Garagejournal has me wanting to buy festool everything and 40K in storage solutions for the garage. I go there on rare occasions lest I become like a heroin addict.

Admittedly more than a few of the items in the "Show your new tool arrivals" have made their way into my own tool chest, in a "Wait, that exists? I NEED IT" kind of way.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Garagejournal has a whole subforum dedicated to floor coatings, there are a lot of vendors on there with a lot of different options.

A top coat looks the prettiest and makes cleaning up spills easy but it's not going to hold up to grinding, welding and having stuff dropped on it. Treating the concrete with a densifier and sealer will almost make it impervious to soaking in liquids and it won't be affected by hot slag. Porcelain tile is the best of both worlds but yikes at the cost and installation.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
In general it's 2 post for car work and 4 post for car storage. You can get a reinforced pad poured where the 2 post lift will go.

For a 4 post lift you can get a rolling bridge jack or a rolling bridge platform and use a bottle jack, that would be the best of both worlds but I don't know what your budget is like.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

sharkytm posted:

The foundation is the biggest cost, regardless of construction method. There's a reason there's a ton of mobile steel building erection companies. Cheap labor, everything fits on a truck, and the expensive part has to be done before they arrive.

True, it's also the one thing you can't change afterwards. When the time comes I plan to insulate the slab and run PEX even though I won't be running in floor heating anytime soon.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
2 pin spring loaded pogo connector, the power side is just mounted on the track to a 12v supply. The LED strip they use has a high output so it's surprisingly expensive, you can do it for cheaper if you're ok with less brightness.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Deeper is always better, it would allow you to have a workbench in front of a parked car. My current garage is 14x24 and barely fits my Miata and shop junk. A lift would be a tight fit but doable, a 4 post would allow you to park 2 cars if there's enough height.

Some ideas on what people have done with a one car garage

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162541

One car garages with lifts, one guy has a 12x24

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=227627

Nicely set up 16x24 with a Maxjax lift

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263351

Slightly bigger at 20x20

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251805

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Garagejournal is your friend, lots of good ideas on there.

Ceiling mounted bicycle pulleys are cheap and work well, there are fancier options that use an electric pulley. There are ceiling mounted storage racks if you have the headroom. I'd put a floor to ceiling shelf in the unused bay filled with totes and utilize the ceiling and wall space.

The Rubbermaid garage track system gets a lot of praise.

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
I'm about to rewire my single car garage as well, I was planning on diying it with a trenching machine but now I'm a little concerned...

Put the outlets higher up on the wall for easier access, more outlets on the wall where your workbench is going. Quad boxes with receptacles on separate circuits might be a good idea if you need to use two high draw devices simultaneously. More 240v receptacles for welders/compressors/heaters/dust collectors is never a bad thing.