Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Now I guess it's time to throw together an engine run stand for the 1UZ and fab up the motor and trans mounts in the Starion.

For a second I thought you welded the casters directly to the table and was thinking that'd hurt you down the line, but then I realized what you actually did. Looks good.

I've been wanting a welder to make myself an engine stand for awhile. I've always thought the ones where you can rotate the block were the neatest ones, and I've seen some homemade ones either using a cheap gearbox, OR a "manual brake slack adjuster" which is used for truck air brakes, apparently. https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Brake...s/dp/B0028OLLXQ
The only bad part is that you need to source some sort of spline, maybe a truck repair shop would have some scrap. I want to build one of those, though, since it's a worm screw that gives you a lot of gear ratio, and you don't need to put a brake on the rotating mechanicsm due to the worm screw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Oh, a run-in stand. I thought you meant one for assembly/disassembly of engines.
I don't know what a brake slack adjuster does either, other than adjust brake slack for something.
This is the sort of thing I was thinking of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUJKwFE_NvE

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

I throw these things in the scrap bin on a regular basis, never thought to use one that way. Clever as gently caress.

So, if I were looking to get the spline that goes into them, I could probably check with a truck repair place and see if they have some scrap ones?

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

The standard cheap or free recommendation (and what I have in my single-car apartment garage) is some kitchen cabinets from a friend who's remodelling. They're not super fancy, but the storage is nice and they were free.

If you can't track anything like that down, Milwaukee makes some nice toolchests/workbenches. I almost got one of those before i grabbed the cabinets.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

How high do ceilings need to be for a 2 post lift (with a car on top)? 12 feet? The numbers I have in my head are 12' ceilings and a 6" thick slab.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Wrar posted:

That's a rad space.

One of the things hindering my progress on my project is I can't make a lot of noise because my kid's bedroom is above the garage. Anyone have tips to help knock down the sound? I have plenty of vertical space to play with since it's 13' tall.

Put in a lower ceiling a foot or two below the current one, fill the space between the two with blow-in insulation or something similar that's light and airy and won't settle. Gluing some acoustic foam (as thick as you can) to the current ceiling would help as well. Basically, you're trying to eliminate hard, direct paths for the sound to take.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Rectal Placenta posted:

If I was building a garage, I'd try to find some way to fit a steel beam across the ceiling for a gantry and cable lift/chain hoist thing. Also floor trough drains and a slop sink.

Yeah, I'd stick with a 2-post lift vs the below-ground one, and use that extra money to put in a gantry or jib crane of some sort, as high as feasible with at least a 1000# load rating.

Edit: Alternately, just build a nice-tall A-frame with big casters to roll around if you have exceptionally tall ceilings.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

10-32 and M5.

I think 10-32 threads into M5 a little loosely, but it won't work the other way.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Dielectric posted:

I've got a broken torsion spring on my garage door. The new ones arrive tomorrow, I figure it's like doing car springs where you should do them in pairs. I've always been told they're spooky and will definitely kill you but the YouTube hive mind makes it look relatively straightforward if you don't gently caress up. RIP me?

Yeah, I would. It's not super complicated, it's more that if you gently caress it up it can no poo poo kill you with little warning if you gently caress it up. There's a loooot of torque wrapped up in those things when they're installed.

LloydDobler posted:

He fell all the way down on to concrete, somehow came to work the next day with nothing more than a limp and a bad shiner. And advice to not gently caress with garage door springs.

Yeah, it's possible to get your skull caved in and be dead before you hit the ground, he's lucky.

I worked for a summer installing garage doors with a relative. I could do any given part of it but was specifically and repeatedly told to not touch installing those springs. Of the two guys I worked with, the older one had been doing it for 20+ years and had the biggest Popeye forearms I have ever seen, and the other guy had been doing it like 2 and it still scared him to do it.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

from earlier in the thread:

That's pretty much my ideal bench, but one tip I've heard is use two sheets of plywood on the top, not for strength but for when several years have gone by and the top surface of your bench is starting to look like a mess, you can take the top sheet of plywood off and replace it without tearing apart your entire bench.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Our offer was accepted on a new house so that means new garage!

That I stupidly forgot to take pictures of while we were there. But it's pretty nice with a high ceiling and decent storage options.

Nice! Congratulations!

I'm house shopping and either a nice workshop or room to build one is top of my priority list. Post some pics when you get it sorted.