Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Question for those with dedicated shop garages. I can fit a 19x24 (External) garage on my property. A 2 post lift is required, do you think it's going to be horrible working around the posts? I can go inground lift, but I don't really want to if I can save the money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I should have been clearer. This is only for one car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Would peel and stick linoleum tile be a terrible idea?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
That's about what I'm talking about. I haven't even had the lot graded yet so preparing the concrete properly isn't an issue.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I think this is the garage I'm going to have built. Still not sure what the roof of the garage should be.

The rooflines on the existing house are .. involved.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It's actually a bad angle for the roof. For that photo I had it set up as a hipped roof and it looked better than the open gable I originally had it. I didn't put it on the model, but the original garage is a open gable end.

Roofers will be getting the job for both the garage and the house so they'll be too busy cursing the 9-11/12 roof with dormers everywhere to even care about the garage.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
The roofers can hang themselves after my job if it means my wife stays happy. A barn next to the house wouldn't accomplish that.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Site plans are finally with the city for approval. Final size is 18'x28' external dimension. 22' will be scissor truss to give a 12' ceiling without having too massive of a structure, the last 6' will be storage trusses to have a place to stash less often used items.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
That's the plan. I'm going with a 2 post rotary inground lift sunk down so I can drop a plate over the top when it's not in use and have a clear floor. Since the garage is fairly narrow, for a shop, being able to use the entire thing when the lift isn't in use is pretty important.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Footings went in today, things should start moving along quicker now.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Haven't posted an update in a while. I pretty much have a structure at this point.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

sharkytm posted:

That's really nice looking. Far better than most added-on garages. I'll be interested to see how the quick jack recess works.

That's not a quickjack. I get 6 feet of lift out of that after backing out the recess's depth. The lift is actually already there in the center, the arms aren't bolted on yet. I'm only 5'7" so it's pretty much perfect.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Construction is all done. Lift should be finished up next week, then it's time to do a lot of work on the inside.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Rotary SL210. It's actually already in there, just needs the arms to be attached and the pump to be mounted on the wall.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Lift is in. This is full extension.

Unfortunately the lift arms got redesigned at some point, so the one I measured was smaller than the one I have. I'll have to have a concrete guy come out and make the pit wider + longer by about .5"

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

angryrobots posted:

Neat lift. Is the plywood to cover the (trench? hole? depression)? It does seem like a bit of a trip hazard when you're eyes up looking at the underside of the vehicle.

Sucks about the measurements being wrong. The concrete was done so nice and sharp...

With the exception of where the posts are it'll be flat.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
No.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It's possible, but this design is much stronger looking than the old one. The edges aren't all that crisp, they broke a bunch of when removing the forms. And it'll be epoxied within a month anyway so you won't be able to see it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Wrar posted:

The concrete was poured a few months ago, so I'm good on that front.

Snow isn't a huge concern in central NC but it does get pretty wet. We just had our wettest year on record. I'll definitely want some anti-slip. I don't have any coating in the current garage and it's crap. I was planning on renting a concrete grinder to get the best adhesion possible after doing some research on All Garage Floors.

I did Armorpoxy in Durham. The anti-slip stuff in the top coat and the chips make it very good.

The non-epoxy top coat is not friends with brake fluid though :/

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Smells are the reason when we looked for a house we required something that could have a detached garage. Ended up having to attach it in the most 'game the city zoning laws way' as possible. I cracked open a blown motor once in our last house. The whole place stunk like burnt oil for a month.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Arishtat posted:

Garage power chat: I find myself in possession of a 120V/30A circuit that used to run the inside unit for an HVAC system which was replaced with a Mitsubishi slim. What’s a good use of such an odd power feed in a suburban garage?

Put a piece of red electrical tape on either end of the neutral, wire your new hots to a 240v breaker and enjoy your new 30A 240V circuit.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
How big is your garage?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Not sure I exactly follow. But the only reason you'd need to brace the box to the joists is if you want to hang a fixture from it. Otherwise just get a plastic old work box and put it in the hole. Might want to get a double gang so you can just enlarge the hole that the circular box was in. Metal boxes are a pain in the rear end because you have to ground them.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Charles posted:

Probably depends on the code / laws in your area, but our oil tank was just filled with foam.

Also how old is the PEX? I know some of the stuff from the 90s are ticking time bombs.

You are likely thinking of polybutylene. The grey stuff.

I would be worried about there being mold everywhere you can't see. Grow houses are humid.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'm going down the mini split road as well. They aren't very expensive and if you have the tools to replace an AC compressor in a car you likely have the tools to install a mini-split.

I haven't updated in a long time. Here's about two years worth of progress.

Here is where we left things:

Epoxied the floors with Armorpoxy. Holding up 2 years later fine. If it's going to see brake fluid spills spring for the 2 part epoxy top coat.

Insulated about 1/2 the walls and put up some drywall so I could hang cabinets/place shelves.

Finished up cabinets, plumbed the compressor into the in-wall piping. There will be pegboard all along the wall there so my mediocre drywall ability will be appropriately hidden.

Didn't do all that much for about a year after that. I built the center section of the lift 'plug' pretty quick since it was pretty non-optional. Finished up the plug finally. You can see the stains from the brake fluid, doesn't seem to have affected the epoxy, but it discolored/burned the top coat.

Wrote a check to finish the drywall because there are very few thing worse than hanging 5/8 drywall.

Painted the walls. Ceiling and some other bits need to be finished soon. That's going to wait for the fall or AC.

About how things stand today. Slowly moving things back in from the house garage where they sat to avoid the drywall mess. Have some 2x8' wall shelving on order as well as some filters/driers to see if I can get pretty dry air out of my compressor for filling tires.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
How tall can you go on the walls and what is your roof slope?

FatCow fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I've had these ones from HD hanging for maybe 2 years now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerc...03161/205331022

I flip the switch and it gets brighter, flip it off and it fades to black. The linking is nice, but it's a bit janky since they don't really positively lock together.