Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Drive through garages are the best! My buddy has one and I'm super jealous. Besides being able to move projects/equipment into the yard, his has been used as indoor patio space when a storm interrupted a BBQ party. Also, I really like having the garage open while working for light and fresh air, but not being open to the street so you don't have to worry about lookie-loos or dogs/kids escaping.

I'm finally getting around to putting a PC in my garage. And I might have a lead on a big solid workbench (with a vice...).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
A decade in retail prevents me from ever hanging in my garage slat-wall despite it's obvious advantages.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

When the MS6 exploded on me it was nothing but a huge headache and just reaffirmed that I was done with that poo poo. I'd rather just pay people to fix my poo poo these days.

I'm there. Doing two driveway H6 swaps in an Outback (one self-inflicted and un-needed) in a month killed part of me*. I bought a Camry Hybrid and I'm a boat guy now. Plenty to fix that still hits the right part of my brain, and now I have another place to drink beer with my fat buddies and hopefully do some 6mph racing.

And I finally did a garage thing I've been thinking about for years. My one-car has benches on opposite sides, both 42-44" tall and deep 32" deep. That meant the back foot of each bench became a crapzone, where I'd just push poo poo back to free up workspace at the front of the bench.

I cut up one of the benches to shorten it about 3" and took it down to 24" depth. Now I can easily reach the back of the bench, the shelf above it, comfortably circle a set of sawhorses setup in the middle of the garage and I have more incentive to put poo poo away when I'm done.

*It'll come back if I ever have a room for a 100% toy car.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, it's surprisingly exciting. Especially the starts.

Imagine you're at a race track and they grid three classes at the same time: motorcycles, production sports cars and demolition derby candidates. They start separately from biggest to smallest. None of these vehicles have brakes or are capable of stopping so everyone is just making loops roughly perpendicular to the start line waiting for their class signals.
The goal is to cross the line at full speed the second the light goes green, so the second the yellow light goes on you start racing/fighting through the rest of fleet to start on the best line possible.
It's wild and I'm terrified to be on the helm when the world opens back up again.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Uh, the Nautical Insanity thread is about it- but it's a struggle to keep the stink-potters down and the thread out of the archive.

So I'm pretty happy with my cut down workbench:

And you can probably tell that I like bins. With more of my projects happening away from home I started packing tools and materials into 12gal flip top totes. I found they're really well sized, able to fit bulky objects but still small enough that they don't become too difficult to lift when loaded. I've been picking up one or two every trip to Costco, and replacing and consolidating all the cardboard boxes that were scattered around the garage.

I've also started to organize all my spare hardware and fasteners. I'm telling myself that I'm not a hoarder if it goes in a bin, so I've been organizing all the little stuff into shoebox size containers. Those are recursive, and are full smaller bins that I use to separate out the related but distinct materials. It's hardly elegant, but it's kind of working on the strength of being easy to put away the one good piece of organizational advice I've heard in years, gently caress all the spark joy nonsense. Nothing in this world brings me joy, but all this poo poo in my garage might save me from having to waste an hour going to the store for a fifteen-cent piece of hardware.

I probably own every organization product that Harbor Freight has ever sold short of the giant Racks-of-Bins and hate them all for different reasons: too big, too small, oddly shaped, dumps contents onto floor when looked at askew. If you've got a system for all of the 'extra' hardware that accumulates I'd love to see what you're doing.

If you just throw the extra hardware away and purchase what you need when you need it please feel free to emptyquote the following smile:

:smug:

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
IME regatta means camping with the boomer versions of goons, yours sounds nice tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Lipstick Apathy
Rad, all it needs now is a shiny metal rear end for you to bite.

That rotating table is interesting. Do you tip the whole thing?