Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I finally got some new to me pallets to tidy things up a bit around my place.

These little electric forklifts are so loving handy.

Looking pretty functional around here finally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Now that is fuckin cool. Love that built in washer idea.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

House is built into a hill and already takes up a large percentage of a small lot. Nothing I can do until an earthquake knocks it all down and I can start fresh.

You mean building a floating garage on the ocean?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The Oil Lift stuff that they have at Can Tire has done really well for me in lifting oil stains from my ancient driveway, but so has Spray Nine.

Still haven't found anything that gets the enormous rust spots out though.

The only thing that can remove that rust spot from your driveway is a tow truck from the kidney foundation.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Modus Man posted:

I had always heard people complain that their garage was too small so when it came time to build our garage 10 years ago we decided that our 2 car garage was going to be 28 x 28. It works great to park 2 large suv's in and there is enough room for shelving on both walls and a large chest freezer and a workbench in the back, and 4 bikes and.... guess what? I wish I had built a bigger garage!

Looking at building a house next year and my current garage plan is going to be an extra wide 3 car with an extra deep area and a permanent stairway to a storage loft over the garage. As soon as I get the house floor plan tidied up I'll post in this thread for help with the garage floorplan.

When I was looking at house plans, I really wanted to build a five stall, barn shaped carriage house, and just live above it.

My relatives and friends all thought I was insane for not wanting a basement and harassed me until I gave up. I totally regret not sticking to my gut and getting the massive work space that would have afforded me. It still would have left me plenty of room to build the workshop in the back.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

mekilljoydammit posted:

Well, getting deeper and deeper in the planning rabbithole. Any off-the-cuff opinion on how hard it will be to get the power company to run 3-phase to a new shop I'd build? I live in a rural part of SE Wisconsin and have power poles on my property, so presumably it's not as outlandish as someone living in a subdivision, but I dunno.

Are they three phase power lines?

Those will have three lines on the crossarms if it is.

If you have three phase to your property it will be reasonable. If you only have a single phase line, uh, well, hope for a lotto win.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

mekilljoydammit posted:

Looked outside with a handy guide to what to look for (thanks guys) and I have 3-phase on the poles that are on my property line border. :getin:

How thick of a slab should I have poured if I'm putting a vertical machining center on it? Again, for ahead-of-need research.

Go at least six inch, with extra rebar.

Plain garage floor is usually like 4" or less.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Industrial metal shelves are the way to go, but I lucked out as I got a few when my shop moved location. They cost a pretty penny to buy new. I'd probably just keep my eyes open on craigs/kijiji.

I went to the dump a couple weeks ago to turf my old BBQ and they directed me to the scrap steel area to unload it. It was sad because there was about 12 shop shelves, complete and seemingly in excellent shape just sitting there in the scrap pile. I would have taken them but the dump has a strict no removal policy.

Always take sandbags to the scrap yard so you can balance what you're borrowing on the scale. Be discrete.

Also, yeah, shaft drive door openers own, I have that model that was linked earlier with the dead bolt, they are fantastic and help me to clear the area needed by the two lifts in my shop.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

They'll probably have to run it from the house panel if that's where the transformer feeds to. Not a huge deal for a competent contractor.

If you have natural gas at your property, definitely run a line out to the shop at the same time. A nice heated workshop is absolutely worth it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Fermented Tinal posted:

we never actually bothered to tension the cables properly (which explained why one side was always 2" lower than the other) or tighten the top bar's bolts... That's fixed now.

:stare: holy poo poo dude, I'm glad you fixed that.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

drat, nicely done. Table looks perfect for garage projects.

Going to mount a vise on it?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just enough ceiling for a lift :getin:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ok, may I suggest that you have a corner of your lift recess be sunk enough for a bucket or something to sit in, to catch all the spilled fluids / ice melt? Everything is going to flow into your lift cubby.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Holy gently caress I want that lathe. Shame it's got a little cancer on it. Doing a full restoration on it or just tidying it up for use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

There's a guy just outside of town who has what is basically just a 6 car garage with a bungalow on top, he's my hero.

A carriage house. I kinda wanted to build one of those when I was picking a house plan for my place, but my mother threatened to disown me if I went ahead with it.

I'm not really sure why. I think they're rad.