Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

got my wall control pegboard put up, pretty nice stuff, especially if you pick some up from http://cheappegboard.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

what's everyone's rule (equation?) for workbench height? just moved and need to get this poo poo built asap. last one was too tall because i wanted it to clear my HF tool chest which was on casters at that time, and will now sit on some 2x4s or 4x4s instead.

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

previous owner put a new liftmaster garage door opener and it so loving quiet and smooth and even has stupid poo poo like an app so i can open with my phone if i want.

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

I still think DIY is the better way to go for a cheap workbench

My bench:

4x4 for the front legs, no rear legs.

4x4 along the back of the bench which is lagged into the studs, the rest of the frame up front is just 2x4.

I used one sheet of plywood, qty 2 4x4x8, qty 2 2x4x8

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

i think it's SafeRacks, available from costco or online. i think i see ads from third parties in valpak coupons too

the PO of the house put them in

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Wrar posted:

I'm looking at different wall mounting systems, either picking through a closing retail store for those wall mounts or doing my own French cleat setup. I'm not enthused with pegboard as the mounts seem to fall off fairly easily. Anyone have experience with the pros and cons of each?

Metal pegboard!

https://www.cheappegboard.com

It's"wall control" brand of pegboard but they sell the "defect" stuff for cheap. (superficial defects)

You can search this thread for some pics of my garage which has some

edit:

BraveUlysses fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 24, 2019

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

i now have 9 costco LED shop lights in my two car garage and it OWNS

the current version is even better than the original model and they are 20 bucks each this month

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

grab a few of the costco led lights the next time they are on sale

they are easy to daisy chain together

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

still cheaper to build em with 2x4s but that does look pretty good for the money

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

i will freely admit i dont like lugging my wife's cx5 wheels (225s on 19s) up onto the tire storage rack but i dont have to do it that often. ladder is required.

its absolutely worth it to keep the floor space available.

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NitroSpazzz posted:

How do you like that ceiling mounted storage? I've thought about sticking a couple of those in the garage but low (8') ceilings has held me off for now.

i have taller ceilings in my garage and i really like the the PO of my house paid for them to be installed. i put my workbench under it and put an led light on it for better visibility at my bench.

from earlier in the thread:

BraveUlysses posted:

I still think DIY is the better way to go for a cheap workbench

My bench:

4x4 for the front legs, no rear legs.

4x4 along the back of the bench which is lagged into the studs, the rest of the frame up front is just 2x4.

I used one sheet of plywood, qty 2 4x4x8, qty 2 2x4x8

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Galler posted:

Just keep gluing fresh sheets on top. Researchers in the future will be able to estimate the age of your bench by counting the rings layers.

ah yeah just like with car floor mats, just throw another set on top when they wear out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BraveUlysses
Aug 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

aeka 2.0 had in his garage, not sure he's updating his thread anymore