Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Hell if you have all that attic space and it's at a good spot just let the lift go through the ceiling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Any recommendations for garage flooring? I'm looking at epoxy and polyurea solutions for the brand new house I'm closing on next month, but I'm open to other options.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

PitViper posted:

I used the Armorpoxy SPGX in our new build. They recommended an acid etch and minimum 30 days after pour. After almost 5 months, I'm still amazingly happy with it. It's been durable, easy to clean, and looks great.

You can do a color coat/clear coat, but I did just two coats of color with the antislip additive in the second coat. It's a little slick with snow packed in your boots, but water isn't a bother at all.

I did the Rock Solid polyurea at our old house with the flakes, and I've helped my dad do a few of the Rustoleum epoxy floors. The SPGX is much thicker and a little tougher to apply, but has so far been way more durable than either of the other two systems.
The concrete was poured a few months ago, so I'm good on that front.

Snow isn't a huge concern in central NC but it does get pretty wet. We just had our wettest year on record. I'll definitely want some anti-slip. I don't have any coating in the current garage and it's crap. I was planning on renting a concrete grinder to get the best adhesion possible after doing some research on All Garage Floors.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I think my wife and I looked at 50+ houses before we settled on new construction with what amounts to a "3" (2.5) car garage. It's on enough land to put a shop in the back later if I want.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I'm looking at different wall mounting systems, either picking through a closing retail store for those wall mounts or doing my own French cleat setup. I'm not enthused with pegboard as the mounts seem to fall off fairly easily. Anyone have experience with the pros and cons of each?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Depends on the exact lift. There are some Bendpak lifts that are lower, like 118" and lift 64".

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's a rad space.

One of the things hindering my progress on my project is I can't make a lot of noise because my kid's bedroom is above the garage. Anyone have tips to help knock down the sound? I have plenty of vertical space to play with since it's 13' tall.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
4" is usually the minimum for a 2 post, I'd go thicker.

All the outlets.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I used https://www.garageflooringllc.com/polyurea-garage-floor-coating/ The only real problem with it is that it is destroyed by brake fluid, but a good poly or epoxy is a massive improvement over the relentless dirty that is bare concrete. I applied it myself over 4 days to ~650sqft of garage and I could do a much better job the second time.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
That's waaaay more per sqft than a good poly coating. I spent about $1000 for 650sqft.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

We've been pondering the addition of a third bay to our garage in the near future, my dream is to have optional parking for 3 cars and a full workshop area if I need. Was discussing this with the wife and she suggested we go hog wild and build a garage in the back corner of our lot like so many of our neighbors have. Her one requirement is that she wants a greenhouse attached to one side.

Did I marry the perfect woman or what?

Your wife and my wife are pretty much on the same page. We did good.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

TrueChaos posted:

That's a cool shelf. I've got 3 of these and they work really well:

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-704...x=Tire+r&sr=8-3

I just bought 3 of these because of your post.. Time to take advantage of my 4 meters of vertical space!

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Garage owns. 6 bays, hell yeah. How deep does it go?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
You can rent a concrete grinder from a big box or equipment rental. Even my dumb self got that right.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I did a polyurea when I moved in. The floor had been down for 3 months. I rented a concrete grinder. I could do a much better job the second time.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Does anyone have experience with any steel building vendors? Lumber prices are dumb right now. I'm in NC, if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I used this company and got the polyurea coating. https://www.garageflooringllc.com/garage-floor-coatings/

I put it down on a brand new garage floor after roughing it up a little with a concrete grinder, and it's held up great for the last 3 years and I didn't even do a very good job of applying it.